HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will experience be our downfall?

Old
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500

I know this team made the playoffs last season, but losing in the first round isn't really playoff experience. This team also has vets that have made the playoffs and had success, but other teams have had a similar type of roster in recent memory and lost too. My big question is will the Rangers lose in the playoffs because they lack the big post-season game experience as a team?

Boston before last season was known as a bunch of playoff chokers, but they had to have those bad experiences to learn how to win in the playoffs. The Hawks and Pens lost in the SCF and WCF before winning the cup the season after. Carolina got experience in season's before the lockout and won the cup after, same with Anaheim before the lockout. Philly had the same thing before they lost in the finals to Chicago. Vancouver lost a lot of 2nd and WCF before making the finals last season. History is on the side of failure before success in the playoffs.

I really do think this team needs to have some success and failure before they get to where they need to be playing to win a cup. Does that mean they can't turn it up another gear in the playoffs and win the whole thing? No. Does that mean another first round exit? No, but I think we need more experience for the guys on the roster before we're going to make a legit run. I hope we can make it happen, but realistically I think this team will fall short based on experience.

I just hope people can understand that if they don't win it all or make the finals, being the number one seed most likely, that the season will not be a failure. Sure there will be initial disappointment in losing, but this season will be a success with at least a tough 2nd round exit or ECF exit. I know a lot of people had those expectations a short while ago, but with locking up the top seed for the most part, I just hope people don't go overboard on expectations.

What are everyone elses opinions on experience needed for this team before they win it all?

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:57 PM
LamoTheKid

Well said.

Obviously, I want them to win it all this year, but as long as they can get to the second round, I'll be happy. I haven't set this year as a ECF or bust. Next year is a different story.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
frankthefrowner

Screw it lets stop being big vaginas... lets have some expectations...

RIchards has won a conn smythe,

Our core, Hank, Cally, Dubi, Girardi and Staal have been in the playoffs most of there careers. Hank has a gold medal...

**** IT LETS HAVE SOME EXPECTATIONSSS

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:41 PM
NYROrtsFan

One thing I've learned in sports is when you have a chance, WIN IT ALL.

I remember the Jets in 98... Wasn't at all pissed that they lost against the Broncos in the AFC champ game because it looked so much like they'd be back every year. Then Vinny gets hurt the next year and Parcells leaves after that.

Stuff changes quickly.... Win it when you have a legit chance because it may not happen again for a while.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

you need experience, but i think its a bit overrated. im a devils fan and we've had plenty of it and we have sucked post season since the lockout. i think youth and energy help a lot, and you have it. plus you have a solid goalie. i think your in good shape.

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Xtranova

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post

Our core, Hank, Cally, Dubi, Girardi and Staal have been in the playoffs most of there careers. Hank has a gold medal...

Despite having an opinion on us actually overachieving a tad this year I say THIS^

^^^^^^

This might be the year... Let's believe!

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

The only way I consider this season a failure is if they lose in the first round again, or lose in 5 in the 2nd round. They go to at least 6-7 games in the 2nd round, as much as it will suck, and as mad as I will be, I will not consider it a failure. That said, I think they have what it takes to go further, and I think they need to go as far as they can (even if it means losing in the Finals) to get that experience to win it all in the future.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
One thing I've learned in sports is when you have a chance, WIN IT ALL.

I remember the Jets in 98... Wasn't at all pissed that they lost against the Broncos in the AFC champ game because it looked so much like they'd be back every year. Then Vinny gets hurt the next year and Parcells leaves after that.

Stuff changes quickly.... Win it when you have a legit chance because it may not happen again for a while.

The Mets in 1986 (and to a lesser extent, 2006) can attest to this!

Old
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Got to take it all when you have the chance. Things can change drastically the very next season . Ex: Adam Dunn.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

what the ****? happy with the 2nd round?

I want the ****ing Stanley Cup...When you are 1st in the east with a prime vezina winner goaltender, 2 highly paid offensive super stars, one of the best young captains in the game, and defense of young stars mixed in with some prime all star d-men....You are expected to win the cup.

Get er done.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:13 PM
NYRSkate

I kind of wish this fanbase would stop it with the negativity for long enough to actually enjoy this ride we're on this season. Every other thread and post it seems talks about some manner of impending doom for this team, or how next year's lineup will look, or past failures... Just enjoy it, know they have as good of a shot to take it all as anyone right now, this year, not next year.

NYRSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
what the ****? happy with the 2nd round?

I want the ****ing Stanley Cup...When you are 1st in the east with a prime vezina winner goaltender, 2 highly paid offensive super stars, one of the best young captains in the game, and defense of young stars mixed in with some prime all star d-men....You are expected to win the cup.

Get er done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSkate View Post
I kind of wish this fanbase would stop it with the negativity for long enough to actually enjoy this ride we're on this season. Every other thread and post it seems talks about some manner of impending doom for this team, or how next year's lineup will look, or past failures... Just enjoy it, know they have as good of a shot to take it all as anyone right now, this year, not next year.
Hey, I want the Cup too, and I think we can shock the world. But despite all those good things, I still think they are 1 to 2 players away. Many #1 teams with all those things have failed in the past, so I'm tempering my enthusiasm for the time being. Tell you this much..they don't get the power play in order, they're gonna have some serious problems in the playoffs!

But hey, let them prove me wrong..I will be the first to come on here and say I was wrong!

Old
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
ogie

not to say that i would see this season as a failure if we don't but its the Cup or nothing at this point.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Kershaw

Cup or nothing mindset here also. We have the pieces, our window may not be as wide open. Now is our prime opportunity.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Same crossed my mind........but,damn ,this team is good dont think that will matter......Im 100% for the cup...NYR CAN DO IT. LETS GO RANGERS

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Hey, I want the Cup too, and I think we can shock the world. But despite all those good things, I still think they are 1 to 2 players away. Many #1 teams with all those things have failed in the past, so I'm tempering my enthusiasm for the time being. Tell you this much..they don't get the power play in order, they're gonna have some serious problems in the playoffs!

But hey, let them prove me wrong..I will be the first to come on here and say I was wrong!
i agree with you. i don't think this mindset is being negative at all.
I am very positive about this teams future, but as of right now i have concerns. The rangers have succeeded so far because of their defensive system/goaltending. Unfortunately we do not have enough firepower. Dubinsky struggling is hurting us. Let's hope things change in the playoffs, IDK. Can Krieder come in and bring
an offensive punch? we sure do need it.

Bottom line for me is Lundqvist. Our defense is tiring and suseptible to making costly errors. We need Hank to be a top playoff goalie now. I'm confident we can beat any team in our division in 7g except pittsburg.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

This post wasn't meant to be negative, but to be more of a realistic opinion of the team. I'm sure all the fans of the other teams that lost when they first "made it" as a team were in the same mindset we are, that the Cup is there for the taking. You have to put things into perspective. All those teams failed initially at winning the Cup. I don't want to see people getting enraged if this team misses the ECF or SCF this season. There are signs the team is legit, and if we look at how we wanted our season to end and how it is ended our expectations should still be the same: We can compete with the best this season, but the talent coming up in the next couple of seasons will put us in a better spot than we are currently in. Enjoy the season but don't get caught up in the Cup being the only positive of the postseason.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
satrabyk

I think its quite the opposite. Sometimes failing in the playoffs often like San Jose or Wash for that matter hurt s the confidence and belief that they can succedd in the post season. Teams love to knock out San jose and Wash esp when they were top seeds because it gave them the identity that they were playoff chokers. Also the way it s these days players change team every year so its not really a learning point if in 2 or 3 seasons half the players are different. Honestly you go for it while you can, we will know the reasons for are failure if we do fail to get to the cup, and it prob wont be lack of playoff experience but moreso skill or strength or even speed that beats us. Our PP will be very important as will the play of Richards Stall and Dubi three guys that will have to elevate there game in the playoffs to their max if we want to make a run.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Well said.

Obviously, I want them to win it all this year, but as long as they can get to the second round, I'll be happy. I haven't set this year as a ECF or bust. Next year is a different story.

Only beating a team that barely made the playoffs won't make this a successful season. At a minimum, they need to win 2 rounds.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
This post wasn't meant to be negative, but to be more of a realistic opinion of the team. I'm sure all the fans of the other teams that lost when they first "made it" as a team were in the same mindset we are, that the Cup is there for the taking. You have to put things into perspective. All those teams failed initially at winning the Cup. I don't want to see people getting enraged if this team misses the ECF or SCF this season. There are signs the team is legit, and if we look at how we wanted our season to end and how it is ended our expectations should still be the same: We can compete with the best this season, but the talent coming up in the next couple of seasons will put us in a better spot than we are currently in. Enjoy the season but don't get caught up in the Cup being the only positive of the postseason.

You should never assume that talent or what not will be better in upcoming seasons. For starters you dont know that for certain and secondly young talent on other teams can put them in better spots and move us down. Were in 1st by a good margin, this season is as good as any to expect to make a run. If we can be good and continue to find great young players great but we cant rely on that, all we can do is try do it this year. For all you know we get cold and miss the playoffs next year. See the problem with your logic.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

i don't see this post as being negative at all. we should have a realistic assessment of this team @ this time of year. Of course we'll all take a "shock the world" playoff run, but we need to see clearly here.

This team has no powerplay and only three real scoring threats in Gaborik, Richards, Callahan. Our secondary scoring is very hit and miss. Defensively we are looking tired at times. Is Lundqvist as good now as he was earlier in the season? He looks better as of late, but we'll see.

This team needs another top 3 scoring talent. For that i'm waiting for the real deal next year. I'm sick of these 1 goal games. it has to stop.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post

I second this.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

You never know who's gonna get injured, who's gonna leave, who's game is gonna go to hell. You have a chance now, do it now.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:18 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You never know who's gonna get injured, who's gonna leave, who's game is gonna go to hell. You have a chance now, do it now.
agreed. we're just assessing how good that chance is. if we play our A game we've got a very good chance. we've been in 1st place since fricking december!

Old
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Block More Shots

I want the Cup to return to NY. I'm not buying any excuses regarding lack of experience and what not...we have a solid team that can win it all. Are we the best offensive team? No, not by any means, but our D and goaltending rank up there with the best. You mix those two aspects with a pretty good offense, and we have a recipe for success.

I think most people would agree that if the Rangers make it to the ECF, we're going to be getting Cup hungry at that point and losing would be disappointing. Anything less than the Cup is a failure, especially with a team that may finish 1st in the conference and possibly in the league.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote