Fantasy Baseball Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
lundy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Honestly, I'm not thrilled with your staff. But if I'm dealing Upton I would want a better pitcher back than Lester. I wouldn't do it.

I got invited to 10 team money league the other day and joined. So glad I did. This league was full of homers drafting horribly. I love this team.

Wouldn't you consider Lester to be a top 5-10 fantasy starter? If not him, who would you have in mind for Upton?

Old
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Wouldn't you consider Lester to be a top 5-10 fantasy starter? If not him, who would you have in mind for Upton?
Don't get me wrong, Lester is good, but I don't consider him a top 10. Upton, on the other hand, has a chance to be maybe the top player in fantasy.

You should be able to get a better SP if Upton is in the deal. Go after a Grienke, Haren, Hamels type.

I also love Bumgarner this year. I think he'll be the ace of the Giants staff this year. You could get him and another starter for Upton. I'd do that.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I don't trade Upton for any pitcher minus maybe Kershaw, even that is something I probably don't do.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Snipeshow

Who would be the best 3-5 people to follow on Twitter for the best, most up-to-date fantasy baseball news and information?

Thanks in advance.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Who would be the best 3-5 people to follow on Twitter for the best, most up-to-date fantasy baseball news and information?

Thanks in advance.
@SultanofStat @enosarris

They are the only two I follow

Old
04-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

12 team league and I had the 10th pick. I know very little about Baseball and most of my team is based off of players I've heard of, ESPN analysts and looking over statistics. Many people were reaching for pitchers early and I didn't feel like getting on board, so my pitching is pretty weak. Overall, how do you think I did?

C: Yadier Molina
1B: Votto
2B: Ricky Weeks
3B: Sandoval
SS: Andrus
OF: C. Gonzalez
OF: Michael Bourn
OF: Jason Heyward
UTL: Billy Butler
UTL: Nick Markakis
UTL: Yunel Escobar

SP: Gallardo
SP: Bumgarner
SP: Beachy
SP: Luebke
SP: Chris Carpenter
SP: Gavin Floyd
RP: Bailey
RP: Clippard
RP: Matt Thornton

Thanks!

Last edited by Aquin001 on Ice: 04-01-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
@SultanofStat @enosarris

They are the only two I follow
Thank you

Old
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice View Post
12 team league and I had the 10th pick. I know very little about Baseball and most of my team is based off of players I've heard of, ESPN analysts and looking over statistics. Many people were reaching for pitchers early and I didn't feel like getting on board, so my pitching is pretty weak. Overall, how do you think I did?

C: Yadier Molina
1B: Votto
2B: Ricky Weeks
3B: Sandoval
SS: Andrus
OF: C. Gonzalez
OF: Michael Bourn
OF: Jason Heyward
UTL: Billy Butler
UTL: Nick Markakis
UTL: Yunel Escobar

SP: Gallardo
SP: Bumgarner
SP: Beachy
SP: Luebke
SP: Chris Carpenter
SP: Gavin Floyd
RP: Bailey
RP: Clippard
RP: Matt Thornton

Thanks!
Honestly, I'm not big on it, I feel you win or lose off pitching. But you sound like a rookie to baseball so its to be expected. My first team was garbage. I never watched any baseball outside of the Jays so I was a rookie as well. But hey, fantasy is addictive and my guess is you'll get hooked and watch many games. I did. I win often now.

Just keep your eyes on the waiver wire, you can get good guys on there if you pay attention.

I'm not saying your team is garbage or anything, Cargo and Votto will carry you (great hitters), I just always like solid pitching. But you seemed to know you were thin on pitching. Carpenter could be a great steal though

Old
04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 4103
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I am in a 10 team league and drafted 9th. Scoring works out this way:

Batters Stat Category
Runs (R) 1
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2
Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 1
Caught Stealing (CS) -1
Walks (BB) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1
Errors (E) -1

Pitchers Stat Category
Wins (W) 5
Losses (L) -3
Complete Games (CG) 2
Shutouts (SHO) 3
Saves (SV) 5
Hits (H) -0.5
Home Runs (HR) -1
Walks (BB) -1
Strikeouts (K) 3
Wild Pitches (WP) -1
No Hitters (NH) 10
Perfect Games (PG) 20

THC's Hawkeyes
Round (Pos)PlayerPosition
3. (29) Carlos Santana C
9. (89) Adam Lind 1B
6. (52) Ben Zobrist 2B
5. (49) Elvis Andrus SS
4. (32) Brett Lawrie 3B
10. (92) Ichiro Suzuki RF
11. (109) Brett Gardner LF
12. (112) Yoenis Cespedes CF
14. (132) David Ortiz Util
15. (149) Justin Morneau Util
16. (152) Josh Willingham Util

1. (9) Roy Halladay SP
2. (12) Justin Verlander SP
8. (72) Ricky Romero SP
13. (129) Josh Beckett SP
18. (172) Derek Holland SP
19. (189) Mark Buehrle SP
7. (69) Jonathan Papelbon RP
17. (169) Francisco Cordero RP

04-02-2012, 01:49 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Who would you recommend to pick up. Matt Harrison or Jonathan Sanchez. I am leaning towards Sanchez because I need K's.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Who would you recommend to pick up. Matt Harrison or Jonathan Sanchez. I am leaning towards Sanchez because I need K's.
Sanchez for sure for the reason you said

Old
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Honestly, I'm not big on it, I feel you win or lose off pitching. But you sound like a rookie to baseball so its to be expected. My first team was garbage. I never watched any baseball outside of the Jays so I was a rookie as well. But hey, fantasy is addictive and my guess is you'll get hooked and watch many games. I did. I win often now.

Just keep your eyes on the waiver wire, you can get good guys on there if you pay attention.

I'm not saying your team is garbage or anything, Cargo and Votto will carry you (great hitters), I just always like solid pitching. But you seemed to know you were thin on pitching. Carpenter could be a great steal though
Thanks for the advice. I was offered Felix Hernandez for Gallardo + Butler and have definitely considered it. I may lose out in terms of value (I like both of my guys a lot) but my team could also use a stud pitcher.

Last edited by Aquin001 on Ice: 04-02-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I am in a 10 team league and drafted 9th. Scoring works out this way:

Batters Stat Category
Runs (R) 1
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2
Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 1
Caught Stealing (CS) -1
Walks (BB) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1
Errors (E) -1

Pitchers Stat Category
Wins (W) 5
Losses (L) -3
Complete Games (CG) 2
Shutouts (SHO) 3
Saves (SV) 5
Hits (H) -0.5
Home Runs (HR) -1
Walks (BB) -1
Strikeouts (K) 3
Wild Pitches (WP) -1
No Hitters (NH) 10
Perfect Games (PG) 20

THC's Hawkeyes
Round (Pos)PlayerPosition
3. (29) Carlos Santana C
9. (89) Adam Lind 1B
6. (52) Ben Zobrist 2B
5. (49) Elvis Andrus SS
4. (32) Brett Lawrie 3B
10. (92) Ichiro Suzuki RF
11. (109) Brett Gardner LF
12. (112) Yoenis Cespedes CF
14. (132) David Ortiz Util
15. (149) Justin Morneau Util
16. (152) Josh Willingham Util

1. (9) Roy Halladay SP
2. (12) Justin Verlander SP
8. (72) Ricky Romero SP
13. (129) Josh Beckett SP
18. (172) Derek Holland SP
19. (189) Mark Buehrle SP
7. (69) Jonathan Papelbon RP
17. (169) Francisco Cordero RP
Wow, sick team. The pitching is 2 of the top 3 arms, Beckett could be a huge steal. Ortiz and Morneau are potential big steals as well. I absolutely love your team. Lawrie went a little too early for my liking but hey, you had so many steals it doesn't even matter.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was offered Felix Hernandez for Gallardo + Butler and have definitely considering it. I may lose out in terms of value (I like both of my guys a lot) but my team could also use a stud pitcher.
I'd deff consider it. Felix won't give you 20 wins or anything but the other numbers should be solid. That is one thing your team is missing.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:

Are you kidding me? His pitching is plenty good for a 12 team league. The only thing it is missing is an apparent ace, something Bumgarner will certainly fill this year.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Nicasio is a better option then both and is probably waiver wire.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
mapes

Quote:
Are you kidding me? His pitching is plenty good for a 12 team league. The only thing it is missing is an apparent ace, something Bumgarner will certainly fill this year.
I just like a top of the line ace. I made sure to have one of Kershaw, Lee, Halladay, Verlander, Felix or Lincecum and most leagues I have 2. I just find its a lot easier to get steals for hitting in later rounds, though I love his Carpenter pick (but I think he's on the DL right now).

Its all really in preferance I suppose, everyone has different strategies. But he did make out good for a rookie fantasy player and a rookie to baseball (seems from what he said). My first team I got 7th out of 12 but to this day its still my worst finish for any baseball or hockey league, my first team was garbage. Sizemore was drafted 6th overall by me he was ranked 5 but he was horrendous. You just learn strategies as you go that help you in the future.

Its the opposite I do in hockey, I rarely draft a top goalie. But like I said, everyone has different strategies.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Brodeur

Did my 8 team AL Only Draft last weekend. Currently blind bidding on reserves which will be awarded tomorrow. As for my team, I gambled a bit at the end which I'm having some regrets over. Rather than take a guaranteed player, I went for upside. Anyways, here's my breakdown:

C: Carlos Santana ($18) - Kept him from last season. More than I'd normally like to pay for catcher, but having one who can hit is a big premium especially since we have two catcher spots.

C: Ryan Doumit ($2) - Sleeper pick as he has shown he can hit reasonably well, but has had injury problems. Slated to play OF for the Twins and spell Mauer on occasion. Our league has an extra rule where a player has to play 20% at a position to maintain eligibility, so I may end up scrambling for another catcher in a couple months.

1B: Eric Hosmer ($13) - Kept him from last season. Hoping for a big year *fingers crossed*

2B: Ian Kinsler ($27) - Kept him, although didn't save much money in doing so. Potential 30-30 + 100 runs was too enticing for me.

SS: Yunel Escobar ($8) - Oddly enough, this was one I kinda regretted. It was towards the end of the draft and I knew I was one pitcher from feeling set. Brandon Morrow was still out there, but I was missing SS+MI spots.

3B: Miguel Cabrera ($39) - Absolutely had no designs on getting him. He was the first player nominated for bid and my main rival was the only person bidding. Everybody must have been scared off from the ground ball to the face. So rather than let the other guy have him for $31, I kept bidding him up while knowing he paid in the 40s for him last year. Again, he's potentially in danger of losing 3B eligibility by the end of the season.

CI: Kevin Youkilis ($22) - This is the fun of the auction. Plan was to spend heavily on one of the big 1B (Pujols/Gonzalez/Fielder) but I had splurged on Cabrera. So I had to go for the 2nd tier here. Felt that I needed a backup 3B if Cabrera struggles defensively, so I ended up with Youkilis. Didn't realize he already turned 33 though. Money may have been better spent towards a Josh Hamilton in retrospect.

MI: Manny Machado ($1) - Couldn't help but go for the upside pick. Sean Rodriguez was the only okay-ish MI left and we're currently bidding on him. Figured I could stash Machado for the year and see if he gets fast tracked into the majors for 2013. I can also use him as trade bait later in the season.

OF: Carl Crawford ($16) - Wasn't aware that he was DL-bound at the time. $16 seemed worth the gamble, but I'm not loving Crawford batting 6th.

OF: Desmond Jennings ($8) - Kept him from last year, hopefully will produce what Crawford used to.

OF: Alex Rios ($8) - Rios fell through to the end of the draft. He was the only OF with theoretical 20-20 upside. I had about $10 earmarked for him, but was trading bids with a guy with $35 left. Didn't expect to get him, but to my surprise the other guy dropped out. He ended up taking Nolan Reimold for $1 and left ~$25 on the table.

OF: Dayan Viciedo ($4) - One of my last picks, theoretical power OF but struggled in the spring.

OF: Travis Snider ($1) - If I were smarter, I would have just taken David Murphy. But I couldn't help but jump on the Travis Snider rollercoaster for a third straight year.

DH: David Ortiz ($15) - Kinda regretted this one. In our league, the DH has to be a DH and not just any hitter. I wanted Ortiz or Kendrys Morales and Ortiz came up first for bid. I didn't want to chance losing out on both, so I bid hard for Ortiz. Morales came up a few bids later and sold for $9.

UT: Leonys Martin ($1) - Won't help much for 2012, but trade bait/keeper potential for later.

SP: C.C. Sabathia ($28) - Anticipated having to get into the 30s for him, so I was happy to save a few bucks.

SP: Jeremy Hellickson ($14) - Hoping his K rate goes up a bit from last year.

SP: Ervin Santana ($11) - Went for a couple bucks cheaper than anticipated. People were maybe scared off by him only having 13 wins last year (ie, wins fluctuate).

SP: Henderson Alvarez ($1) - This bid kinda backfired at the time. I wanted Morrow, but nominated Alvarez hoping that the resident Jays fan would bid me to $2 and fill his remaining SP spot. But it's tough to have a $1 player backfire.

RP: Jordan Walden ($8) - Kept him from last year.

RP: Grant Balfour ($8) - Was targeting Matt Thornton, but he went for $10. Settled for Balfour soon after. Pretty certain that the A's will trade Balfour at some point.

RP: Addison Reed ($5) - Got Thornton's handcuff instead. Had some buyer's remorse at the time, but feeling better about it a week later as he's still got a chance to close.

P: Jarrod Parker ($1) - Didn't realize he had been sent to AAA. I should have just taken Matt Harrison for $1, but now we're all bidding on him and he's probably going to go for $10+ in the reserve draft.

I got Craig Gentry for $1 today while most of the other bids end tomorrow. Aiming to add David Murphy and Chris Parmelee to replace Snider/Martin. Ditto Sean Rodriguez for the MI spot.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Sanchez for sure for the reason you said
Quote:
Nicasio is a better option then both and is probably waiver wire.
Thanks for the responses. I forgot about Nicasio. Might lean towards him. Sanchez sketches me out because of his control.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Better Call Saul

Had the ninth pick in a 10-team league and ended up with:

C - Brian McCann
1B - Joey Votto (top pick)
2B - Brandon Phillips
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Evan Longoria
OF - Andrew McCutchen, Corey Hart, Jason Heyward
UTIL - Paul Goldschmidt
BE - Ryan Roberts, Cameron Maybin

SP - Dan Haren, Yovani Gallardo, Josh Johnson, Daniel Hudson, Tim Hudson, Brandon Beachy, Chad Billingsley
CL - Sean Marshall, Sergio Santos, Matt Thornton

Looks good, IMO.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Osstrayan

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Hey guys,

I just started a dynasty and I am looking to add managers and get it going ASAP. The general idea is that you take a MLB team, protect 4 of those players, and then draft the rest of your roster from the remaining player pool.

I'd like to get everything done so we can start the scoring ASAP. The league page is here so you can get more info about the setup. Please pm me if you want in and let me know which team you'd like to take. Indians and Bluejays are gone so far.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Scotianhab

I just did an 8 team auction draft. My first ever auction draft and it was fun but I don't care much for my team. I'm not very high on my outfielders. $260 was our budget.

C - JP Arencibia - $14
1B - Paul Konerko - $6
2B - Ian Kinsler - $18
SS - Starlin Castro - $18
3B - Evan Longoria - $26
LF - Alex Gordon - 5
CF - Andrew McCutchen - $21
RF - Ichrio Suzuki - $12
Util - Kevin Youkilis - $7
Util - Jay Bruce - $4
SP - Stephen Strasburg - $24
SP - Jered Weaver - $12
SP - Cole Hamels - $12
RP - Mariano Rivera - $1

Bench - SP - Yovani Gallardo - $7
Bench - 1B,LF - Michael Morse - $2
Bench - SP - Daniel Hudson - $1
Bench - RF,LF - Matt Joyce - $1
Bench - 1B,2B,LF - Howie Kendrick - $10

I have a waiver claim to pick up SP Derek Holland for Matt Joyce.
Also Chris Carpenter is available and I'm tempted to pick him up as well.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
Hey guys,

I just started a dynasty and I am looking to add managers and get it going ASAP. The general idea is that you take a MLB team, protect 4 of those players, and then draft the rest of your roster from the remaining player pool.

I'd like to get everything done so we can start the scoring ASAP. The league page is here so you can get more info about the setup. Please pm me if you want in and let me know which team you'd like to take. Indians and Bluejays are gone so far.
I pm'd you.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I pm'd you.
As did I. It's a very intriguing idea for a fantasy league, and I'm looking forward to joining.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Osstrayan

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Thanks guys, invite sent. I started a hockey league this way that has been very successful.

Closed Thread