HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Except you're jumping to conclusions.

Bylsma told Vitale to go knee Grossmann in the 1st (I think?) period?

I can't stand the reaction coaches get for putting out their 4th line at the end of a game. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Your options are, put out your good players in a game you've already lost, and risk they get hurt (this is what Laviolette did), or put out your crappy players and be perceived (key word is "perceived") as "gooning it up". I take the latter 100% of the time.

Stop assuming that we're playing the New Orleans Saints and there are bounties. Lavi should have played it safe and put Rinaldo etc out there. Not because he's trying to hurt anybody, but simply because, the Briere's of the world shouldn't be risking injury in a game you already won.
Eh, I don't know. As a coach, you might assume that a team who is down a few goals might want to try to score some and so perhaps you put out some offensive players on your own - to catch them deep in the zone and score the game-ending goal.

They were down, what two or three? With a minute left - of course you wouldn't expect them to goon it up or whatever, you would expect them to get within a few as to not be embarassed.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Flyerfan808

Keep your head up on Saturday.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Except you're jumping to conclusions.

Bylsma told Vitale to go knee Grossmann in the 1st (I think?) period?

I can't stand the reaction coaches get for putting out their 4th line at the end of a game. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Your options are, put out your good players in a game you've already lost, and risk they get hurt (this is what Laviolette did), or put out your crappy players and be perceived (key word is "perceived") as "gooning it up". I take the latter 100% of the time.

Stop assuming that we're playing the New Orleans Saints and there are bounties. Lavi should have played it safe and put Rinaldo etc out there. Not because he's trying to hurt anybody, but simply because, the Briere's of the world shouldn't be risking injury in a game you already won.
The Briere hit was unnecessary. Vitale only played around 2-3 minutes the whole entire 3rd period. If I remember correctly, we JUST had our 4th line out there. We needed to play another line, unless you think we should of played the 4th line for the last 3-4 minutes of the game? I dont think Lavy or anyone on the Flyers really thought that the Pens would of sent out their 4th line to goon it up and thats what they did. Vitale tried to go after Schenn but Schenn didnt want to fight him (understandably). So instead he see's Briere going through the middle of the ice, lines him up and hits him. In a 6-3 game, is that really necessary?

Like I said, unless your advocating playing the 4th line the rest of the 2-3 minutes of the game (Which wouldnt be a good idea) we needed to play another line.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Eh, I don't know. As a coach, you might assume that a team who is down a few goals might want to try to score some and so perhaps you put out some offensive players on your own - to catch them deep in the zone and score the game-ending goal.

They were down, what two or three? With a minute left - of course you wouldn't expect them to goon it up or whatever, you would expect them to get within a few as to not be embarassed.
They were down 2 with about 30 seconds left...it was over. If I'm the coach there's no way I put out my stars to try to score more in what is a heated rivalry. It's not the playoffs. And why is Briere on the ice? He ONLY provides offense, which is the very last thing the Flyers needed at the moment.

There was no reason for Briere to be on the ice, just as there was no reason for Crosby and Malkin etc. to be on the ice. Bylsma did what he should have imo; and that's what it was...saving your stars, NOT gooning it up. Throwing a clean hit at the end of a game is not being a goon, just because you're a 4th liner.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
They were down 2 with about 30 seconds left...it was over. If I'm the coach there's no way I put out my stars to try to score more in what is a heated rivalry. It's not the playoffs. And why is Briere on the ice? He ONLY provides offense, which is the very last thing the Flyers needed at the moment.

There was no reason for Briere to be on the ice, just as there was no reason for Crosby and Malkin etc. to be on the ice. Bylsma did what he should have imo; and that's what it was...saving your stars, NOT gooning it up. Throwing a clean hit at the end of a game is not being a goon, just because you're a 4th liner.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure it was right over a minute left and we just played our 4th line.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure it was right over a minute left and we just played our 4th line.
I think you are right. I believe it was a minute ten or something. With that time, they could have gotten another goal so it would be almost naive to put our 4th line out

Old
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
dats81

Those final games of the season are pathetic.

I appreciate their effort and it's certainly great to see them fighting hard to come back but the points earned are good for nothing. At the same time we continue losing bodies and get decimated before the playoffs even started....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Since the Penguins at one point didnt have Crosby nor Malkin in their lineup, they are the only team allowed to complain about injuries.

I hope Rinaldo works his magic

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Quote:
I think you are right. I believe it was a minute ten or something. With that time, they could have gotten another goal so it would be almost naive to put our 4th line out
Oh yea it was 1:03. Sorry, for some reason I thought it was just after their last goal.

So they were down 3 with 1:03 left. IMO, that's even MORE over.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Ryker

Quote:
So instead he see's Briere going through the middle of the ice, lines him up and hits him. In a 6-3 game, is that really necessary?
In all honesty, it was a perfectly clean hit, and one I'd want our fourth line to make on any team we're playing against at any time during the game, be it in the first or the last minute. You play hard until the end, and that's it.

And as much as people make of other teams' fans whining, some of you are doing the same now saying they shouldn't have played their fourth line. They have every right to play whichever line they want, and I wouldn't expect all of these outcries from a franchise that prides itself on being tough. Just shut up and deal with it. Do the same thing next time if you think that'll help (not targeting an injury or anything, though), but don't ***** about it.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
FlyersMania2

Anyone have a YouTube video of grossmann's injury? Some are saying it was borderline so I am wondering if it will be reviewed. I haven't seen a close look at it.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
In all honesty, it was a perfectly clean hit, and one I'd want our fourth line to make on any team we're playing against at any time during the game, be it in the first or the last minute. You play hard until the end, and that's it.
too true

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post

And as much as people make of other teams' fans whining, some of you are doing the same now saying they shouldn't have played their fourth line. They have every right to play whichever line they want, and I wouldn't expect all of these outcries from a franchise that prides itself on being tough. Just shut up and deal with it. Do the same thing next time if you think that'll help (not targeting an injury or anything, though), but don't ***** about it.
I don't think anyone is saying the hit wasn't clean...it's the context of the hit within the game and from a player that may have hurt a d man with knee-to-knee.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying the hit wasn't clean...it's the context of the hit within the game and from a player that may have hurt a d man with knee-to-knee.

context ? it was a message to Danny / the Flyers to keep your head up.

we'd love that if we did it ..... in any context

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

The context is that at that point in the game, Bylsma was making zero attempt to win the game. He was only seeking to rough up our players. That's why he had that line out there instead of one that might score a goal. The point of hockey is to win, not hurt people.

It's cute to see that coming from a team that cried it's butt off after the Islanders were mean to them last year.

04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The context is that at that point in the game, Bylsma was making zero attempt to win the game. He was only seeking to rough up our players. That's why he had that line out there instead of one that might score a goal. The point of hockey is to win, not hurt people.

It's cute to see that coming from a team that cried it's butt off after the Islanders were mean to them last year.
Truth.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Judging by the earlier news posts it looks like both Grossmann and Briere will be available for the postseason. The Flyers are banged up right now and have been all season long which is why its going to pay dividends for them in the postseason and next year when you look at how much playing time our young players have acquired.

Schenn, Couturier, Read, Gus, Manning, Bourdon, and even Wellwood and Z have all played big boy games and minutes at various points and time this season and I know at least I am not nervous when I see our young guys on the PK or playing critical times in the game as I was at the start of this season.

Regardless of the outcomes in this weeks' games we have beaten Pittsburgh banged up on several occasions including yesterday when they were fully healthy. The postseason will be a much different team than yesterday and Saturday's games with Grossmann coming back to play for a full game not just the 1st prd, Briere returning, Bryzgalov hopefully ready to pick up right where he left off, and most likely JVR returning at some point in this series. Four big time starters that can make an impact should greatly aid our already deep lineup in what looks to be a nasty series.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
mirimon

In all fairness though, the only one somewhat sniffing on goon territory on the Pens team yesterday is Asham, and he's got other skills as well as we all know. Even if it's their fourth line, and they hadn't seen much ice time in the third, it's not a certainty that they were only out to rough up our players. I mean Craig Adams and Matt Niskanen ain't really guys you put out there to send a message.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM
YuioIklo

Dress Shelley and Walker for saturday.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

It was the last minute of a 3-goal game. That's not a bad time to have your 4th line out there.

How many times on this message board that when it was clear that a loss to the Penguins was imminent that people were begging for someone to go out and end guys like Crosby and Malkin? It was happening yesterday when we were down 2-0 in the first period.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It was the last minute of a 3-goal game. That's not a bad time to have your 4th line out there.

How many times on this message board that when it was clear that a loss to the Penguins was imminent that people were begging for someone to go out and end guys like Crosby and Malkin? It was happening yesterday when we were down 2-0 in the first period.
I'd rather see my team trying to score goals until the end in a 3 goal game when home ice is on the line. You never know what will happen. If Rinaldo and Shelley were on the ice I wouldn't be terribly happy. 4 goals or more? Different story. 3 is still in that grey area of possibilty. A big longshot, yeah. But still not totally impossible. Better to try than mail it in.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'd rather continue to troll the hell out of the Pens than try and goon it up. If we manage to win against NYR, the last Pens game will be important. We play the roll of troll so well, go with what got you there. Shanahan will be watching this game closely, last thing we need is suspensions

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I'd rather see my team trying to score goals until the end in a 3 goal game when home ice is on the line. You never know what will happen. If Rinaldo and Shelley were on the ice I wouldn't be terribly happy. 4 goals or more? Different story. 3 is still in that grey area of possibilty. A big longshot, yeah. But still not totally impossible. Better to try than mail it in.
I wouldn't say so. You don't see teams pulling the goalie with 3 minutes left.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

Or he was playing his scrubs rather than risk his stars. That's what I would do. Maybe it's just me but I refuse to equate the presence of tough guys on the ice as "seeking to rough up" players. SOMEBODY has to be on the ice, and there's no reason for it to be his stars in a game he already lost.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I wouldn't say so. You don't see teams pulling the goalie with 3 minutes left.
Devils did

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote