HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#79 Bruins @ Rangers

Old
04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Defensive play and pk ability are far from the same thing.

Anisimov is a great defender 5 on 5. Just like he is better player 5 on 5 than he is on the power play.
So let's play him on a defensive 3rd line and leave it at that. I would be fine with that. Leave him off any scoring line. He's not good enough to play on lines 1 or 2. He kills the offense of scoring lines.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So let's play him on a defensive 3rd line and leave it at that. I would be fine with that. Leave him off any scoring line. He's not good enough to play on lines 1 or 2. He kills the offense of scoring lines.
He should work on his release in the offseason.

His wrist shot is excellent, but it takes him forever to get it off.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Bad GWG, after that Boston's D was almost impenetrable. Rangers still had a decent amount of chances, just couldn't finish. Thomas didn't really have to make many big saves.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Not sure why so many people are labeling anyone other than Hank or Girardi a goat for this game. They both screwed the pooch the 2nd goal. Erase that mistake, and we've likely got the #1 seed locked up.

Stepan has looked terrible for the last 3 or 4 weeks. No idea what his deal is.

This team is incapable of transition offense. It seems that if we can't skate the puck out of our own end, we're pinned in our zone for 2 minutes. We need some creativity badly.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I'd almost prefer Anisimov centering the 4th line with Rupp and Prust. Anisimov played some very good hockey with Shelley and Prust a few years ago. Also, as much as it pains me to say this, Boyle has been better than Anisimov as far as generating offensive pressure. I wish we had a better option, but I think for now, Boyle is our best option for the 3rd line center.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Dubinsky Boyle Fedotenko
Rupp Anisimov Prust

Hopefully Mitchell sits when Kreider signs and hopefully Chris continues his great play seamlessly into the NHL.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
OverTheCap

I'm not really sure what happened to Arty this year. I thought he would build on last year's season, and he looked prime to have a breakout year during the preseason. He had a great opportunity playing on the first line with Gabby for much of the year, but has managed to put up less points than last season.

I think he's destined to be a 3rd line center at this point since he is so inconsistent offensively. But with his skillset, he has the potential to be better than that.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
That's hardly true, he always makes stuff happen and is underrated as a set up man. He's just an easy scapegoat.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Outmuscled and outhustled.

Anisimov can go to Columbus for all I care.

Entirely too many Potvin sucks chants during the game.
I agree about the chants. Once a game for tradition is OK, the chant is now for adolescents who think its grownup to yell "sucks" in public

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
SnowblindNYR

I don't know why so many people seem to think we got outplayed? We outshot them 34-21. We outplayed them for good portions of the game. We lost because Girardi didn't clear and Lundqvist did his best Dan Cloutier impression. Not because we got outplayed.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 04-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.
SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
I agree about the chants. Once a game for tradition is OK, the chant is now for adolescents who think its grownup to yell "sucks" in public
*Devils fans slink quietly out of the room*

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
That's hardly true, he always makes stuff happen and is underrated as a set up man. He's just an easy scapegoat.
A slow player with tons of skill who is inconsistent offensively, indecisive and hesitant with the puck on his stick is an easy scapegoat. A guy who was expected to take the next step this season who has actually regressed and is a non-factor 90% of his shifts is an easy scapegoat. And yet, nobody's BLAMING him for anything. He just hasn't been good enough consistently enough this year to warrant a top 6 role. I don't see how that's even debatable.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not sure why so many people are labeling anyone other than Hank or Girardi a goat for this game. They both screwed the pooch the 2nd goal. Erase that mistake, and we've likely got the #1 seed locked up.

This team is incapable of transition offense. It seems that if we can't skate the puck out of our own end, we're pinned in our zone for 2 minutes. We need some creativity badly.
Our transition has always been a problem under Torts. He LOVES those stretch pass tip ins that we do WAY too much. First off, I don't mind dump/chase hockey if it is executed properly. But those neutral zone tip ins do absolutely nothing but concede the puck to the opposing team. Torts seems to be caught up in a pre-lockout transition game

Torts does not like to move up the zone as a five man unit. He wants to keep our D in our own end on the breakout most of the time. I know he lets certain D men(Del Zoto)occasionally lead the rush, but thats not what I am talking about.

When we get possession in our end our forwards go the length of the neutral zone and our Dmen constantly try long stretch passes. Our D needs skate past the blue line and close the gaps between the forwards. At very least if there isn't a lane in the neutral zone, our D man can make a PROPER dump in for our forecheck. Way too many times our forecheck can't get started because our forwards aren't in great position entering the zone.

All in all, I hate the stretch pass on this team, and I wish we would get rid of it. Our forwards don't control hard long passes that well either. So I don't really understand how those passes(if they aren't intended for tip ins) are going to spring them anyway. We aren't a fast transition team, so I just don't see the point in them.

I have always felt in many ways, our system makes us a team of contradiction. We are defensive minded, yet we allow our Dmen to pinch constantly along the half-wall in the offensive zone(sometimes even carelessly so). We have a dump/chase/forechecking transition game, yet we love stretch passes.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm not really sure what happened to Arty this year. I thought he would build on last year's season, and he looked prime to have a breakout year during the preseason. He had a great opportunity playing on the first line with Gabby for much of the year, but has managed to put up less points than last season.

I think he's destined to be a 3rd line center at this point since he is so inconsistent offensively. But with his skillset, he has the potential to be better than that.
I think a major issue is that we have been forcing him as a wing. It is not his natural position.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Dangleberry

Forgot to add, I didn't hear Thomas *****ing about the lights last night.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:57 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
Forgot to add, I didn't hear Thomas *****ing about the lights last night.
He did. He reiterated it after the game. I dislike Thomas personally as much as the next guy, but he was consistent this time.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
But some positives, I though Boyle was incredible, I thought Stu played a great game, (who I'm usually very rough on) made me STUUUUUUUUUU a few times, and watching Hagelin and McDonagh skate in person is just unreal. I also learned that Chara's a nancy boy. Idk if you guys could see it on tv but he gave Boyle a shot behind the play and ran like a little girl when Boyle turned around.
Please. Boyle wasn't even tough in high school. Chara's not scared of him and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the NHL scared of Boyle, size be damned.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
He did. He reiterated it after the game. I dislike Thomas personally as much as the next guy, but he was consistent this time.
That he did.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocen...69425&catid=-6

Does it give Timmy some sort of great satisfaction by always talking about the Garden lights? Next Rangers/Bruins game, I want everyone to go to MSG wearing Obama masks.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Sticky Fingers

AA is not bad, the problem is that he's not improving. He' an ok 3rd line center. Except for some flashes now and then he lacks an offensive upside.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
AA is not bad, the problem is that he's not improving. He' an ok 3rd line center. Except for some flashes now and then he lacks an offensive upside.
Stop, Callahan wasn't improving either at his age. Patience is the key.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
ANTC

anyone making the road trip to philly tomorrow

ANTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Yep, this is it.

Our offense looks great when BR or MDZ or McD, or sometimes Gaborik skate the puck into the zone. The dump and chase rarely leads to a sustained offense.

We were dumping and chasing on the PP last night- when that happens, there's usually 0% chance we're going to score.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yep, this is it.

Our offense looks great when BR or MDZ or McD, or sometimes Gaborik skate the puck into the zone. The dump and chase rarely leads to a sustained offense.

We were dumping and chasing on the PP last night- when that happens, there's usually 0% chance we're going to score.
The issue with our dump and chase last night was we forgot to do the chasing part. It seemed like we were on a perpetual line change in the 3rd where we would dump it in and one forward would change leaving only two guys to go get the puck and when we weren't in a line change, the third forward was staying high which made no ****ing sense. It was like they thought we were up a goal, not down one.

04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The issue with our dump and chase last night was we forgot to do the chasing part. It seemed like we were on a perpetual line change in the 3rd where we would dump it in and one forward would change leaving only two guys to go get the puck and when we weren't in a line change, the third forward was staying high which made no ****ing sense. It was like they thought we were up a goal, not down one.
Yeah, I like the dump and chase as a way to change the pace from having a guy carry it in all the time. With guys who have speed like Hagelin and Gaborik, and guys who are great along the boards like Dubi and Cally, the dump and chase should always work pretty well for us. Last night though I was cringing when I saw it because it was basically a guarantee to waste time since we would never retrieve the puck.

That being said, we should NEVER dump and chase on the power play. That's a terrible idea and we kept doing it yesterday.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I think the teams was trying to avoid injuries. They weren't being as physical as I thought they're capable of and they could've blocked a few more shots.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote