HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

JMac13's March Mock Draft

Old
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
JMac13

vCash: 500
JMac13's March Mock Draft

1. - Nail Yakupov
With the #1 pick it's no surprise that Columbus goes with the game-breaking talent here. Not much more to be said that hasn't been already, great skater, tremendous hands and shot, great compete and a willingness to get dirty

2. - Mikhail Grigorenko
Montreal FINALLY lands their big franchise center with the second overall pick of the 2012 draft. Concerns about his work ethic and compete are overblown, he's a cerebral player with off the charts vision and IQ. Also a connection with Roy if he does end up with the coaching job.

3. - Ryan Murray
Edmonton takes the steady Ryan Murray with their 3rd overall pick. The combination of effortless skating, tantalizing hockey sense and an underrated offensive game Murray will anchor the Oiler's blueline for years.

4. - Matt Dumba
With a trio of exciting forward prospects in Granlund, Coyle and Phillips Minnesota takes the game-breaking defenseman Matt Dumba out of Red Deer. Dumba brings crowds to their feet with his heavy-hitting offensive style of play and will fit in perfectly with Mike Yeo's new uptempo system.

5. - Alex Galchenyuk
Best Player Available. With a prospect stable full of high octane forwards you'd think the Islanders would go for a defenseman with the 5th overall pick but GM Garth Snow has other plans. If Gally proves he's healthy again the hard working, two way centre will be the perfect player to play behind superstar John Tavares.

6. - Filip Forsberg
Just missing out on finally grabbing their centre of the future, Toronto fans are devastated. But with defensive depth overflowing and offensive wizard Filip Forsberg on the board Toronto gets a nice consolation prize with huge upside.

7. - Jacob Trouba
I am absolutely in love with Trouba's game and think Anaheim gets a tremendous player with the 7th pick in the draft. Good defensively, plays with an edge and has a booming shot from the point Trouba will team up with Fowler to form a formidable future on the duck's blueline.

8. - Radek Faksa
Carolina continues it's tradition of picking Kitchener Rangers and takes Radek Faksa 9th overall. The big, two-way centre has had a very productive rookie season in the OHL and has rocketed up draft charts as a result.

9. - Morgan Rielly
Yzerman has shown he is not afraid to take players coming off injury (Brett Connolly) and Rielly could be the best offensive defenseman in the draft. Incredible skater, outstanding vision and a solid frame if Rielly can prove his knee is healthy again he'll be a steal at the 9 spot.

10. - Griffin Reinhart
Big, steady and reliable Griffin Reinhart is one of the surest bets to become a solid nhl'er out of the 2012 draft class. Winnepeg adds a solid piece on the backend to compliment its young forwards.

11. - Cody Ceci
Ceci is continually underrated around these boards and while some in Calgary may prefer a center like Gaunce I really feel Ceci has the potential to impact a game on a level Gaunce will never reach. Great size and frame, solid in his own end, with tremendous offensive abilities and a rocket shot from the point Ceci is an excellent prospect to add to the Flame's cupboard.

12. - Sebastian Collberg
With a relatively deep prospect pool Buffalo can afford to gamble slightly on Collberg. Despite being a little undersized Collberg has magic hands and an nhl release. Also not afraid to go to the dirty areas - reminds some of Zach Parise.

13. - Pontus Aberg
Neck in neck with Collberg for the second swede off the board Aberg is a good skating, two-way winger with a heavy shot. Would look great paired with fellow swedes Backstrom or Johansson in the the future.

14. - Brendan Gaunce
With its second pick in the first round Washington turns to Belleville Bulls centre Brendan Gaunce. Seen as a "soft" euro team that doesn't bring it come playoff time Gaunce brings to the table all the intangibles that a team needs to win. Would look great playing in a 3rd line centre role with the work ethic to turn into a lot more - could step in to the nhl as early as next year.

15. - Slater Koekkoek
With a cupboard bursting with forward prospects, and the trade of Rundblad to Phoenix Ottawa has a hole in defense that can be filled perfectly by Slater Koekkoek. Murray has shown a pattern in taking players that have fallen due to injury (Cowen, Stone) and the big, good-skating, two way defenseman out of Peterborough can fill a perfect role behind offensive wizard Karlsson and shutdown dman Jared Cowen.

Last edited by JMac13: 03-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
JMac13

16. - Zemgus Girgensons
San Jose fans appear to want Wilson to take a forward with this years first rounder and the hard-working Latvian is a perfect fit on the Sharks roster. Plays a gritty game, and brings all the intangibles, Girgenson's is a coaches dream.

17. - Olli Maatta
With superstar-in-the-making Yakupov selected with the first pick overall Columbus turns to nhl factory London Knights for its second first rounder. Maatta brings a steady, reliable game to the blueline as one of the safer picks in this years draft.

18. - Tomas Hertl
With arguably the best defensive prospect cupboard in the league Phoenix takes the big Czech centre who outplayed the higher ranked Faksa during this years WJC. Great hands, great frame and a solid two-way game Hertl could be a steal at this point in the draft.

19. - Tom Wilson
Tantalized by size, and already with a deep core of defenders Florida selects Tom Wilson from the Plymouth Whalers. Wilson could end up a Lucic type player or a 4th line goon but like it or not Tallon has a history of drafting big bodies.

20. - Matt Finn
I consider Matt Finn the defense version of Jordan Eberle in that neither have any distinguishable physical skills (skating, size, shot, etc.) that would imply they will have successful nhl careers. Yet both have unmatched hockey sense that allows them to succeed despite their physical deficiencies. Craig Button is in love with the guy and I think he could be a great fit on Dallas's blueline.

21. - Malcolm Subban
While fans of every team don't want them picking a goalie in the first round I really feel like the talent level begins to drop off with skaters around this pick. As a result the potential for getting a franchise goalie type to compete with Scott Wedgewood may be the Devil's best move.

22. - Derrick Pouliot
With a young talent laden roster, and solid offensive prospect depth Boston looks to Portland to select the slick puck-mover in Derrick Pouliot. He'll be given the time he needs to properly mature in Boston and could solidify the first PP pairing with Dougie Hamilton years down the road.

23. - Ludvig Bystrom
Already playing a regular shift in the Eliteserien Bystrom plays an incredibly mature game for a player his age. Reliable defensively, not afraid to get dirty and play the body and possessing an underrated offensive game Bystrom could solidify an already impressive Blackhawk core for the foreseeable future.

24. - Teuvo Terravainen
Who else but Detroit grabs the slightly undersized, highly skilled forward from Finland. Terravainen has shown incredible offensive flair while playing against players his own age and could really increase his draft stock at this years U-18 championships.

25. - Stefan Matteau
Trading away Zack Kassian Buffalo quickly rectifies the problem by taking the power forward out of the USNT-DP. Slated to play in the QMJHL under his father next year, Matteau brings a mean streak matched by few in this years draft class. Will have to learn to control his play a little more as he has already suffered multiple suspensions this year.

26. - Colton Sissons
Hard-working, good shot, goes to dirty areas while possessing tremendous leadership abilities Sissons could look great playing beside anyone of Schenn, Couturier or Giroux in the future.

27. - Dalton Thrower
Vancouver gets its next Kevin Bieksa in this pick out of Saskatoon. Thrower is a heart and soul defenseman willing to do whatever it takes to make his team win. Showing off a solid offensive game this year, while still willing to drop the mitts with anyone if he was 6'3 would likely have been a top 10 pick.

28. - Martin Frk
With an injury history, consistency issues and major concerns about his skating Frk is definitely a gamble at this point in the draft. But the potential homerun of this pick has me drooling. Frk plays a power forward game and possesses one of the heaviest shots in this years draft. The thought of Crosby or Malkin feeding him pucks on the PP has me thinking of the upside here rather than the tremendous risk.

29. - Phil Di Giuseppe
The rangers are loaded with young depth at every position and can afford to choose the BPA at this spot. Playing for Michigan in the NCAA Di Giuseppe put up 26 points in 40 games and came close to making team Canada's WJC team as a draft eligible player. Could be a very underrated player come draft day and will likely be given the time to properly develop in the Ranger's system.

30. - Jordan Schmaltz
With the final pick in this years draft, the Blues take USHL defenseman Jordan Schmaltz out of Green Bay. Schmaltz is a good sized, solid skating, offensive defensman who some feel has stagnated a little in his development this year. Others feel he has simply focused more on improving the defensive side of his game. Either way he makes for an intriguing size/skill package at the end of the first round.

Last edited by JMac13: 03-26-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

as a leaf fan forsberg would be great (gally is who i really want tho )

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
HoseEmDown

Detroits 1st belongs to TB and they won't be drafting the Finn, I'd say Thrower as the D depth is considerably weak.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
JMac13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Detroits 1st belongs to TB and they won't be drafting the Finn, I'd say Thrower as the D depth is considerably weak.
COMPLETELY forgot Detroit had traded their first, nice catch. Brady Skjei would probably be another guy that TB would look at.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Evgeni Giroux

one of the best mocks ive seen, I am on board with your selections for the sabres

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

really good mock draft

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
rockinghockey

Any chance that Faksa could be taken by TO as they are so despert for a big fwd and his stock has been rising pretty hi on a lot of scouts. I don't care what people say I don't think TO's defense is really that good or deep.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:07 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Lol literally the last 10 mocks I've read have us taking Trouba. I think that means we're not taking Trouba

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Mathletic

solid mock all in all

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Wild have said that they will go BPA. Do you think Dumbas is BPA over Galchenyuk? I wouldn't mind coming away with Dumba at all, Galenyuk seems to be the big talk right now though

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Riellyfan04

I'd be happy with Forsberg!

Riellyfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
DeflatedFootball7

As a Flyers fan CS would be a mistake. Other then that good MD.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:42 PM
JMac13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Any chance that Faksa could be taken by TO as they are so despert for a big fwd and his stock has been rising pretty hi on a lot of scouts. I don't care what people say I don't think TO's defense is really that good or deep.
There's a chance Toronto could take Faksa at this spot but honestly 1) I don't think it's that big and 2) I think it would be a big mistake. Forsberg is also a big bodied forward and I think he has a significantly higher offensive ceiling than Faksa.

If Toronto were to go strictly BPA at this spot Trouba would definitely be in consideration for this pick which I'll address in a sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lol literally the last 10 mocks I've read have us taking Trouba. I think that means we're not taking Trouba
I do see him going there in a lot of mocks - I think because its just such a natural fit. As a ducks fan I would be very excited if you landed him at this spot. Quite honestly it would surprise me very little if he was the second defenseman taken after Murray if scouts feel his game will translate better to the pros than Dumba. He literally has everything you want in a defenseman - size, big shot, plays with an edge, composed, rock solid defensively. I am very, very high on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
Wild have said that they will go BPA. Do you think Dumbas is BPA over Galchenyuk? I wouldn't mind coming away with Dumba at all, Galenyuk seems to be the big talk right now though
Honestly, after watching Galchenyuk play last night he could very well be the BPA at this point. Earlier in the season my top 3 were Yakupov, Grigs and Gally before Murray stepped up his play lately. If he continues to show he's fully healthy I think we'll be looking at a big 4 of Murray, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Nail and then all of the lower tier guys like Reilly, Dumba, Forsberg, Trouba, etc.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
JMac13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
As a Flyers fan CS would be a mistake. Other then that good MD.
I actually did a lot of work snooping around boards to see what players the fan bases were looking at getting, but i'll be completely honest and say Philly was one of the few teams I could not find much talk about the upcoming draft in.

I'm always open to improving my mocks, what kind of player do you think Philadelphia would be looking at here?

Old
03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac13 View Post
I actually did a lot of work snooping around boards to see what players the fan bases were looking at getting, but i'll be completely honest and say Philly was one of the few teams I could not find much talk about the upcoming draft in.

I'm always open to improving my mocks, what kind of player do you think Philadelphia would be looking at here?
Defense is a huge priority. However there are rumors that we really like Zharkov. IMO he's a second round talent, but who knows.

Scissons is not a bad choice per say but most of us want D-Men>Wingers>Centers. Flyers are generally quiet about who they like.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor

Not bad..... but Detroit doesn't have their 1st. Tampa does.

Also, I think with Tavares and Strome at centre, NYI would go for Forsberg here. Wouldn't shock me if they went for Gally, but would sooner see them making a place for a winger.

TribalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM
FutureCjJohnson

Works out exactly how I want it to for my Jackets. Nail, Maatta and goalie at the top of the second. Nice. Fingers crossed.

FutureCjJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Nice to see a mock where Chicago isn't picking a Russian or a goaltender. As much as I want Malcom Subban or Oscar Dansk, I can't see Chicago going with a goalie in the first round and Chicago just plain and simple won't take a Russian in the 1st round.

Really like Ludvig Bystrom to the Hawks.. and I think it's a pick that has a solid chance of happening if he's still available when the Hawks pick.

Good mock.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
Not bad..... but Detroit doesn't have their 1st. Tampa does.

Also, I think with Tavares and Strome at centre, NYI would go for Forsberg here. Wouldn't shock me if they went for Gally, but would sooner see them making a place for a winger.
If Galchenyuk is there the Isles will DEFINITELY take him.

Strome will allow the lines to be changed some:

Strome / JT / Nino
Moulson / Galchenyuk / Grabner
Okposo / Neilsen / Bailey
Martin / Cizikas / Haley or Petrov

leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
If Galchenyuk is there the Isles will DEFINITELY take him.

Strome will allow the lines to be changed some:

Strome / JT / Nino
Moulson / Galchenyuk / Grabner
Okposo / Neilsen / Bailey
Martin / Cizikas / Haley or Petrov
Yeah. You know that for a fact.

Anyway. Good picks for both Anaheim and Winnipeg

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Lazarrr

I like Ottawa's pick a lot. We took a player from Peterbrough last year and we're in need for top pairing defensive prospects. Was slated (see what I did there) as a top 10 pick at the beginning of the year similar to Puempel and Cowen were and that's definitely worked in our favor. Another possible choice for Ottawa could be after Collberg or Aberg cause Ottawa likes to draft their Swedes. I wouldn't be opposed to trading our first for someone like Chris Stewart.

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah. You know that for a fact.

Anyway. Good picks for both Anaheim and Winnipeg
In all likelihood the Isles are drafting 5th or later, Galchenyuk beats out all others at that point, so I stand by my belief on that one.

leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote