HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I'm gonna say it, I love this team

Old
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yup..go figure. This team has proven wrong all those who thought we would be "torn to shreds" by teams like Pitt with their superstars b/c we wouldn't have Carter and Richards to defend against them.

So much for that theory....amazing what Couts was able to do today to Malkin.

This team has exponentially more character than when those two were on the team...it's not even comparable.

BTW this team is reminding me of the 86-87 Flyers...very tight knit group. Also the fact we got Cousins and Grossmann out of the deals is also amazing..
I love the trades that were made and like this team better....but lets not act like that team didn't have any character. A little more than two years ago they were pulling off arguably the greatest comeback in hockey history. However, I'll agree that Richards had much more to do with that than Carter.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Something special about this group. Could see it relatively early on, before Pronger went down, and now again the past month.

Quite a year, considering the continuous injuries and quirky scheduling. This team's had so many great comebacks, they will fight hard to the end. Amazing depth at forward, d-corps that has perfromed surprisingly well given the injuries, and clutch goaltending if Bryz can keep his recent form. They are peaking at the right time. The upside to all the injuries is that a lot of the vets have gotten some games off, and they haven't burdened their stars with excessive minutes. Kudos to Holmgren, not many GMs would have the guts to blow up a team that made the SCF a couple years earlier, the savvy to get such a good return, and then not sacrifice top picks yet still patch together a decimated d-corps at the deadline.

Gonna be brutal right from the get go, just hope they are relatively healthy and get a fair shake from the refs. Wouldn't surprise me to see back to back day games on the weekend or similarly wacky things when they play Pens.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
sxHarr05

I too love this team. The character, the grit, the never-say-die attitude. The speed, the tenacity, the desire (even if not always evident). I also love the way the rookies and call-ups seem to be treated as equal parts of the team which IMO has helped them to contribute the way they have by feeling comfortable and confident in the lineup. Guys willing to pick each other up when they're down, straighten them out to get their heads in the game and then going out and trying to prove their words on the ice. Granted, not all aspects were always present, and they could play a bit "tougher" at times, but for what we were told to expect by the, uh, experts, I'm quite pleased.

I feel that a game like yesterday can go a long way toward propelling this team deep into the playoffs. You have that crazy push to tie the game and then take it over, guys giving everything they have for a chance at victory, the entire team coming together in defense of one of their own, a coach out for blood at one of "his guys" being wronged, guys like Simmonds squaring off because it's the right thing to do despite the eight stitches across his nose/eyebrow.............and Hartnell. You can tell he's "feeling it" right now and it should only feed the rest of the team. The Hulkster bit was priceless and it says something that the guy is ready and willing to have an entire fan base turn on him.

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I love the trades that were made and like this team better....but lets not act like that team didn't have any character. A little more than two years ago they were pulling off arguably the greatest comeback in hockey history. However, I'll agree that Richards had much more to do with that than Carter.
Yeah, that 09-10 team definitely had some heart and charachter.

This team is fun to watch though. If we can keep them together for a while, the future is bright for sure.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I have a very confident feeling about this team going into the playoffs, something I havent had since they lost to Tampa Bay. I will admit that about a month ago when they werent defending that I wasnt so sure they would make the playoffs. Now they are and Bryz is playing at level where he can steal you games. I thought this team would struggle to make the playoffs, Im stunned that if they win their next 3 games they will end up with more points then last year.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
mtchbx

Bruins fan here,
Gotta love the way that the Flyers play. Really looking forward to the first round and watching Crosby try to hide for a whole series.

mtchbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

like this team much better
- Carter & Richards
+ Bryz, Simmonds, Jake, Couts, Read & Schenn

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:04 PM
BernieParent

Putting aside what he would cost, I'd still welcome Richards back in a second. Few playoff sequences -- and I watched them win a Cup! -- are so ingrained as this:

Lots of water has gone under the bridge since he was traded, and none of us really know what went on to bring Holmgren to trade him, but I loved watching Richards in a Flyers uniform.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Dirtywater

I really like your team as well. Just so many quality players. Giroux has such a talent it's nuts. He's extremely likable as well and hopefully the NHL markets the kid.

I know I should probably hate the Flyers, but the team you've assembled is just top shelf.

Dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Putting aside what he would cost, I'd still welcome Richards back in a second. Few playoff sequences -- and I watched them win a Cup! -- are so ingrained as this:

Lots of water has gone under the bridge since he was traded, and none of us really know what went on to bring Holmgren to trade him, but I loved watching Richards in a Flyers uniform.
Major chills watching that.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:29 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:

How about no. Just no.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:43 PM
bennyprofane

I love a lot of things about this team. I was pumped about the Couturier and Schenn acquisitions, but never realized how much I would love Voracek and Simmonds. Voracek has actually been my favourite Flyer this season (Hartnell, Timonen and Giroux were disqualified mostly because it's too easy to pick them). But Jake has been so good this season, regardless of his stats.

bennyprofane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

With all due respect... I believe that was a great and clutch individual accomplishment by one player. It is also ingrained in me as it is with you... but it is titled 'The Shift', and when read that only one shift came to my mine, the one that was called 'The Shift'. Watch this one and a half minute exhibition of pure mastery:

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:42 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I love this team win, lose or draw, the effort, the heart, the poise, the grit, the boys are a tight knit group seems like no egos in the locker room and it shows on the ice, Bryz was having a hoeeible year until the leaders sat him down and whatever they said/did worked ridiculously well, Jagr being brought in is huge on so many levels for all the young guys especially G and Voracek, Talbot was another great signing, Couts was highway robbery at #8, all the young guns stepping up Read, Rinaldo, Wellwood, Harry Z, MAB, Manning, and the rest of the Padawans, whatever this team does in the playoffs I'm going to look back and really enjoy this season as one of my all time favorite seasons, my Pops is looking down smiling at the boys in Orange and Black, hopefully they can bring another cup to Philly

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
How about no. Just no.
How about adding some detail to your quality retort of my opinion?

Old
04-03-2012, 08:08 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
With all due respect... I believe that was a great and clutch individual accomplishment by one player. It is also ingrained in me as it is with you... but it is titled 'The Shift', and when read that only one shift came to my mine, the one that was called 'The Shift'. Watch this one and a half minute exhibition of pure mastery:

That was a great shift, too. As well, there was this one by Giroux to eat precious seconds in the last 2 minutes of the game against the Bruins.

It's often the individual efforts where a player just refuses to be defeated that shine the brightest. Richards had many, and I miss having him on this team, despite the amazing talent Holmgren was able to receive in return.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Cheese Danish

I love that a bunch of the guys go get fro yo together on their day off.

I love this team.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchbx View Post
Bruins fan here,
Gotta love the way that the Flyers play. Really looking forward to the first round and watching Crosby try to hide for a whole series.
Also a Bruins fan. Love Laviolette. Hope the Flyers demolish the Penguins. I can't even begin to describe how happy I was seeing Crosby get cross checked in that manner. More of that, please.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
How about adding some detail to your quality retort of my opinion?
Certainly. I would have last night, but i was at work and didn't have time.

Besides 1 playoff run what has Mike Richards done in the last 3 seasons to make you want him back? I mean he's been bad, meh or ok a majority of the time.

I don't see how taking Mike Richards back would help this team in the present or future. Something was obviously up with him, because teams just don't trade their captain and the guy they've touted as the face of the franchise for the hell of it. Was so excited the day he and Carter were shipped out of Philly.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Got to say one thing, if I were Crosby I would be scared playing this series against the Flyers one solid hit and his head will be a bag of noodles. With the recent crap the Pens pulled on Saturday in the last minute you know things are heating up for a few crash and bangs, glad we (Flyers) have the bigger team.
Go Flyers!!!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Got to say one thing, if I were Crosby I would be scared playing this series against the Flyers one solid hit and his head will be a bag of noodles. With the recent crap the Pens pulled on Saturday in the last minute you know things are heating up for a few crash and bangs, glad we (Flyers) have the bigger team.
Go Flyers!!!
We don't really have the bigger team, and it's a stupid thing to say...Crosby being concerned about playing us. Playing the Bruins, Devils or Rangers will be any safer?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
duffy9748

Another example of the team not quitting. Going down 4-0 against one of the best and fighting til the end. No matter what happens this year, it's clear this team will be special in the next few years if they stay together.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Lshap

I give Holmgren a ton of credit for dumping Carter and Richards. Both are talented, but the former is a primadonna and the latter a whiner. Don't underestimate the damage they caused off the ice in the locker room. Bottom line is the Flyers have become more unified and an even bigger threat without them, especially with a find like Simmonds. The big Bryzgalov gamble seems to be paying off (assuming he's okay for the playoffs) and signing Jagr a brilliant addition of experience. The Flyers are still a tough team, but really not reckless or dirty. Most of all, they're my favourite team to watch until my Habs get back in the game.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
Certainly. I would have last night, but i was at work and didn't have time.

Besides 1 playoff run what has Mike Richards done in the last 3 seasons to make you want him back? I mean he's been bad, meh or ok a majority of the time.

I don't see how taking Mike Richards back would help this team in the present or future. Something was obviously up with him, because teams just don't trade their captain and the guy they've touted as the face of the franchise for the hell of it. Was so excited the day he and Carter were shipped out of Philly.
Richards is a Selke-nominated, gold medal-winning top-line centre who scores, is a playmaker, plays great defense, hits, fights, and generally does everything it takes to win a game. He certainly would be a major help this team now and in the future. As for your "something was obviously up", yeah, there's so much we don't know about what brought about Holmgren dealing Richards and Carter within an hour of each other. But neither you nor I know for certain what that was, and all the stuff tossed around is speculation based on nameless whispers and indirect, vague allusions to locker-room issues.

This team is excelling with Simmonds and Schenn so I can't say that nullifying the trade would be an unquestionable benefit for the Flyers. I love how Simmonds has taken to the Flyers MO in an amazing way, and Schenn will certainly be a big part of this squad for the foreseeable future. But that doesn't mean that I develop amnesia over the fact that Mike Richards is a top-quality hockey player.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I loved the last version of the team. I also love this version of the team.