HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 Defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Lundqvist102

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
But Malik, Rozsival & Kasper don't? Come on already. NONE of the Rangers current defensemen are fit to carry McCabe's jock. And that includes Tyutin, whom we hope can one day put himself on a level of a McCabe. Are you really going to try to argue his so-called "undisciplined play" and "stupid penalties will kill us" arguement?
Allow for me to end that immediately. McCabe has 74 penalty minutes this year. Kasper has 81. Rozsival has 62. That is 12 less than McCabe. And McCabe has a good amount of "mean" penalties. Meanwhile, the next penalty that Rozsival takes that is not an obstruction minor, will be the first.
Rozsival and Malik combined are not half the player that McCabe is. McCabe is a definite top-pair defenseman that goes up against the other teams top lines. Not a third pair defenseman that masquerade as the top pair that the Rangers have.
And you site that he would "scare" you? How so, pray tell? What he has to offer no other Ranger defenseman can come close to offering.
I have no idea of how you can be comfortable with Rozsival, Malik, Strudwick, Poti or Kasper (or even Tyutin), but be "scared" by McCabe
First of all, your putting words in my mouth in saying that I am comfortable with Malik, Strudwick, Rozie, etc. I have NEVER said that I was "comfortable" with them. Although I will say i am feeling much more confident in Kaspar and Poti. That said, I respect the points you make about McCabe's stats compared to our other Defensemen. What i was simply trying to say is that I feel like it'd be best to pursue other options then signing McCabe.

Secondly, although McCabe is a solid player, he will command a decently large salary over a pretty long period of time. Am I willing to spend 5 mill on McCabe? No. Again, you might argue that Kaspar and Poti are overpaid, and they are, but I dont feel like thats what we're discussing. We're discussing whether it would be SMART for the rangers to sign McCabe. IMO, the answer is no.

I can only hope that we've been burned by enough bad free agent signings to make a mistake and mortgage a huge part of our salary cap for someone that plays questionable defense. As much as we'd all love to add a nice PP QB, the fact of the matter is that our PP as of now, is fine.

Old
02-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

McCabe at 5 million a year is scary. The guy isn't worth the money or the lockeroom headache he would cause the Rangers.

Some people need to stop pretending the Rangers are a bad team with a bad defense. For the money that is being spent on the guys they have played very well.

The people that have a problem with Rozsival, Malik, and Kaspar wouldn't have a problem with them if they were from North America. (just my opinion but i have many many many old posts that I'm dying to quote from)

The same people that cry about a true rebuild (although this team is in FIRST FRIGGIN PLACE) want to go out and overpay for a guy that takes way to many penalties and is always out of postion.

Amazing

Old
02-25-2006, 03:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102
What i was simply trying to say is that I feel like it'd be best to pursue other options then signing McCabe.
I agree. If Ottawa cannot hold onto Redden, the he should be option #1.

Quote:
Secondly, although McCabe is a solid player, he will command a decently large salary over a pretty long period of time. Am I willing to spend 5 mill on McCabe?
I have diffuculty believing that McCabe will command such a high price. The market needs to be set so that the value of a top pairing defenseman can be set.

Quote:
We're discussing whether it would be SMART for the rangers to sign McCabe. IMO, the answer is no.
Depends on the price tag. However, if the going rate for top-pairing defensemen is going to be around $4.5 or so, then that is the price.

Closed Thread