HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Rodney Recalled On Emergency Basis From OKC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2012, 03:35 PM
  #51
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,906
vCash: 500
If the Oilers were really trying to tank and the injuries were not real as some seem to be implying. Why are they not playing Khabibulin tonight?

hockeyaddict101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
  #52
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I actully wouldn't mind it, if it was clear to everyone that's what the rules are. Particullarly Oiler management who knows we have an under sized team ... Perhaps they will wake up and start aquiring some skilled size instead of skilled smurfs.
The Pitt's - Phil series is going to be a death match! I can't wait ... Both teams are going to lose that series. Watch Cooke revert to his old self.
I hope they wake up to that fact too but the only problem is that it's incredibly hard to find that perfect blend. I'm sure they thought they had it in JFJ when they drafted him and Eager when they signed him, for example.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
  #53
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
I hope they wake up to that fact too but the only problem is that it's incredibly hard to find that perfect blend. I'm sure they thought they had it in JFJ when they drafted him and Eager when they signed him, for example.
The Oil have always had a problem recognizing this type of talent. Turning down the Perry for Comrie trade; passing on Getzlaf to take MAP; spening way too much effort on JFJ etc. .... Just a few examples.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:17 PM
  #54
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
The Oil have always had a problem recognizing this type of talent. Turning down the Perry for Comrie trade; passing on Getzlaf to take MAP; spening way too much effort on JFJ etc. .... Just a few examples.
Fact EIG demanded the signing bonus back from Comrie in order to Ok the trade, not Lowe , not Tambellini not the new owner, nice smear job though.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
  #55
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I actully wouldn't mind it, if it was clear to everyone that's what the rules are. Particullarly Oiler management who knows we have an under sized team ... Perhaps they will wake up and start aquiring some skilled size instead of skilled smurfs.

The Pitt's - Phil series is going to be a death match! I can't wait ... Both teams are going to lose that series. Watch Cooke revert to his old self.
The Oilers need more toughness and grit in the line up than they presently have certainly, but as a team they are not really undersized at all. As of February this season, on average, the Oilers were actually third in the league in terms of height and eleventh in terms of weight, so they are actually one of the bigger teams in the league on average (at least, according to http://blackbluegold.wordpress.com/2...eams-and-size/). I was surprised when I read that chart, but it's interesting. Most Oiler fans--I think--assume that Edmonton is one of the smaller teams in the league. It simply isn't true. Weight is probably more important than height, however, but they are still heavier than 19 other clubs. The team needs more grit and toughness in the line up to protect their skill guys that they have now amassed. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more nasty injected into our defense.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
  #56
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
The Oilers need more toughness and grit in the line up than they presently have certainly, but as a team they are not really undersized at all. As of February this season, on average, the Oilers were actually third in the league in terms of height and eleventh in terms of weight, so they are actually one of the bigger teams in the league on average (at least, according to http://blackbluegold.wordpress.com/2...eams-and-size/). I was surprised when I read that chart, but it's interesting. Most Oiler fans--I think--assume that Edmonton is one of the smaller teams in the league. It simply isn't true. Weight is probably more important than height, however, but they are still heavier than 19 other clubs. The team needs more grit and toughness in the line up to protect their skill guys that they have now amassed. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more nasty injected into our defense.
I'd say we need some more grit and willingness to engage in our top 6. Everyone knows however that there are about 10 guys in the league who bring that and can still play with skilled guys.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
  #57
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
The Oil have always had a problem recognizing this type of talent. Turning down the Perry for Comrie trade; passing on Getzlaf to take MAP; spening way too much effort on JFJ etc. .... Just a few examples.
Old Ownership, and 8 years ago. Why trend water under the bridge that is now in the ocean?

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
  #58
Ebs and Flow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Tsn report "... And Carey Price is done for the season with an injury."

Tambellini -> "hmm montreal is really trying for the 2nd overall. We will show them."

Tsn reporting that Bryan Rodney has been called up for the Oilers.

Ebs and Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
  #59
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,602
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Ugh I wonder who's hurt. God this injury crap is getting old. Every season like clockwork.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:24 PM
  #60
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Fact EIG demanded the signing bonus back from Comrie in order to Ok the trade, not Lowe , not Tambellini not the new owner, nice smear job though.
Sure, provide a credible reference and I might bite. That stupidity falls solely on Klowes shoulders otherwise.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
  #61
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Old Ownership, and 8 years ago. Why trend water under the bridge that is now in the ocean?
Really? The same guy is still in charge. You know, your boss, Klowe. Do you make his coffee in the morning? Ahhh, JK, it's all in fun ... Unless you really do work for him?

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
  #62
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
The Oilers need more toughness and grit in the line up than they presently have certainly, but as a team they are not really undersized at all. As of February this season, on average, the Oilers were actually third in the league in terms of height and eleventh in terms of weight, so they are actually one of the bigger teams in the league on average (at least, according to http://blackbluegold.wordpress.com/2...eams-and-size/). I was surprised when I read that chart, but it's interesting. Most Oiler fans--I think--assume that Edmonton is one of the smaller teams in the league. It simply isn't true. Weight is probably more important than height, however, but they are still heavier than 19 other clubs. The team needs more grit and toughness in the line up to protect their skill guys that they have now amassed. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more nasty injected into our defense.
I'm not surprised with guys like Sutton etc in the line up, but take away the 2 to 5 min every second game guys and I bet were bottom 5.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
  #63
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Really? The same guy is still in charge. You know, your boss, Klowe. Do you make his coffee in the morning? Ahhh, JK, it's all in fun ... Unless you really do work for him?
No I don't. But it's like complaining about a mark I got in Junior high. It's kinda doing nothing for me now.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
  #64
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
No I don't. But it's like complaining about a mark I got in Junior high. It's kinda doing nothing for me now.
Glad to hear you got over it, i think.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
  #65
Gord
Tesla
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
This number does not include Fedun missing the whole season either.

so the actual value currently is 310
can't really count a guy who never played in the nhl and wasn't a lock to make the team anyway. so the actual value is closer to that 230 mark. which isn't bad really, considering how the oilers have been with injuries the last few years.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:30 AM
  #66
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
I'd say we need some more grit and willingness to engage in our top 6. Everyone knows however that there are about 10 guys in the league who bring that and can still play with skilled guys.
I don't think that we necessarily need a lot of grit on our top two lines; we need more power forwards. Hall, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, Hamilton, fit the bill for that role in the future, so I'm not concerned about our top two lines. I think that having more grit and toughness on defense and on our third and fourth forward lines is necessary. Smid and Peckham are the only two defenseman who can really handle themselves, besides Teubert. Hordichuk and Eager are the only two forwards who can handle themselves. Sutton is big, hard-nosed defenseman, but he's not a scrapper. And, I'm sorry, don't get me wrong here, Hordichuk is a very game guy, who completely understands his role, but for a player as limited as he is, he doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of men, nor does Eager for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I'm not surprised with guys like Sutton etc in the line up, but take away the 2 to 5 min every second game guys and I bet were bottom 5.
I disagree. Most teams have those type of players. Of those, Hordichuk and Peckham aren't big enough to make a huge difference, and Sutton usually plays a regular shift, so he doesn't qualify as one of your 2 to 5 minute guys; for example, he played 20: 27 minutes tonight. So then we are talking about Eager, who is about average sized for an NHL heavyweight. Have a look at the size of the rest of our line up in comparison to other teams. Playing big and being big aren't the same thing. The Oilers need players who play with more grit and toughness. It is something that Tambellini still needs to address in the off-season.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:25 AM
  #67
dhawken
Registered User
 
dhawken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Country: Canada
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
He returned from injury recently... concussion I believe.
This is an auto response when "Plante" appears in a post. Injury is randomized.

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.