HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kill two birds with one trade

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
  #26
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
IProbably Montoya, #1 this year AND a prospect. I might do that for Peter Meuller (Note: under my Username at left).
So you would trade our first round picks from two years, leaving us with one year of no first roudners, AND a prospect to get just one player?
No way. The depth of this organization is not nearly deep enough for such deals.

True Blue is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:08 PM
  #27
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
He's certainly not getting dealt for Witt.
In this one, he isn't. He's getting dealt for a high first round pick. A second for Witt is alright, its not highway robbery like Kozak and a 2nd for Malakhov but its decent. The 5th to the 3rd is just a little incentive for WSH to go through with the trade.

Its all just fantasy though. I just hope we make a move for our centerman this year.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:10 PM
  #28
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
In this one, he isn't. He's getting dealt for a high first round pick. A second for Witt is alright, its not highway robbery like Kozak and a 2nd for Malakhov but its decent. The 5th to the 3rd is just a little incentive for WSH to go through with the trade.

Its all just fantasy though. I just hope we make a move for our centerman this year.
I believe we will...and it's very possible that Montoya will be the key to such a deal. But, this is a road we've been down before. We'll know better in four months.

jas is online now  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:17 PM
  #29
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I believe we will...and it's very possible that Montoya will be the key to such a deal. But, this is a road we've been down before. We'll know better in four months.
Jas, just so that we are clear, you advocate trading Montoya straight up for a top 5 pick, correct? Not Montoya + #1 for a lottery pick?

True Blue is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
  #30
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
So you would trade our first round picks from two years, leaving us with one year of no first roudners, AND a prospect to get just one player?
No way. The depth of this organization is not nearly deep enough for such deals.
What do you mean the depth is not nearly deep enough? Trading Montoya is from a position of strength, and to even it out the Rangers can just focus on drafting a couple of goalies each draft from now on and hope one sticks. A 1st rounder? If that one player came in a draft of Staal, Horton, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby you can't worry about quantity. When you're getting a shot to draft a stud centerman, a 1st rounder is nothing to give up in a package. That said, I'm not sure I would give that up this draft because these guys aren't surefire. I love their games, but a Mueller, Staal, Backstrom all have their questionmarks.

You're making our first rounders out to be more meaningful than they are. But thats expected on HF. Our young stars from this year are all from other rounds in Tyutin, Lundqvist, and Prucha. IMO I don't think we need to add in a prospect since Montoya was a 6th overall and he's done nothing but maintain or increase his stock.

I think hard about this deal, and in the end I think I put a hold on this deal and wait for one with Montoya alone.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
  #31
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Jas, just so that we are clear, you advocate trading Montoya straight up for a top 5 pick, correct? Not Montoya + #1 for a lottery pick?
Exactly. I don't move Montoya and our #1 for a lottery pick. IMO, Montoya probably has more value than any player in this draft save EJ. I'm not dismissing his talent whatsoever. If Lundqvist wasn't performing at his current level, I would not even consider moving Montoya. Montoya has two years of development over any player in the upcoming draft. He's proven himself already at the AHL level by being named to the All-Star Game. But, if the Rangers were able to move him and get a top five pick, and then draft another goalie, perhaps even with their own #1, I think they'd be ahead of the game.

jas is online now  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
  #32
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
What do you mean the depth is not nearly deep enough? Trading Montoya is from a position of strength, and to even it out the Rangers can just focus on drafting a couple of goalies each draft from now on and hope one sticks.
No. Dealing Motoya is not dealing from strength. After you trade Montoya away, you are left with nothing. Now if you had another very good goalie prospect, then you could be dealing from strength. Virtually under no circumstancw would I deal Montoya away. Too much can happen. I believe that you need to see who is going to be better, him or Henke. I could care less about which of them is the our goalie of the future, I just want to keep the better one.

Quote:
When you're getting a shot to draft a stud centerman, a 1st rounder is nothing to give up in a package.
This organization is not in such a place where they can afford to have two years with only one first round pick.

True Blue is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:27 PM
  #33
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Jas, just so that we are clear, you advocate trading Montoya straight up for a top 5 pick, correct? Not Montoya + #1 for a lottery pick?
Yes me too. Straight up. Man, for that matter we could look even at already drafted prospects.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 08:41 PM
  #34
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
This organization is not in such a place where they can afford to have two years with only one first round pick.
The lack of depth of this organization is overblown though. In 2000: we pulled Lundqvist and Moore. 2001: Tyutin, Lampman, Hollweg, Murray. 2002: Falardeau, Taylor, Prucha. 2003: Jessiman, Baranka, Dawes, Holt. 2004: Montoya and Graham. In five drafts, that is 15 professional players on either the NHL or AHL level. We are fine. It is said that if you get 2 players from a draft it is successful. Out of that there's 5 NHL'ers and guys right on the cusp of making the jump.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
02-25-2006, 09:43 PM
  #35
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesect424
Maybe i'm a rookie at this board thing, but i've been a hockey fan for a long time and i think the trades proposed by guys are hillarious. This guy for this prospect, or so and so for a draft pick, or salary disaster for youngsters. It's ridiculous. Be a fan, and that's it. Save your fantasies for your Playstation, and relax. When someone comes to where you work, and moves you around then you can talk, if not, shut the eff up!

Damn, the slot of king of the HF Ranger board had an opening and I wasn't aware of it? How did I miss that one?

jas is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.