HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#80 | SABRES vs MAPLE LEAFS | TUE APR 3 | 7:00PM ET

Old
04-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
#80 | SABRES vs MAPLE LEAFS | TUE APR 3 | 7:00PM ET

GDT#80: SABRES (38-31-10) vs MAPLE LEAFS (34-36-9) – TUE APR 3 – 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, SNET-O (Full Story)

(AP) – A loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs over the weekend damaged the Buffalo Sabres' chances of making the
postseason, but they received some help on their off day.

The Sabres will try to stay afloat in the playoff race Tuesday night when they host the Maple Leafs to conclude a
home-and-home set.

Buffalo trails Washington by two points for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, with three
games remaining compared to two for the Capitals. The Sabres' prospects improved Monday night when the Capitals
lost 4-2 at Tampa Bay.

Though Buffalo (38-31-10) has a game in hand, Washington - which is idle Tuesday - owns the tiebreaker.

"We've put ourselves in a tough spot," Buffalo right wing Jason Pominville said. "Instead of making it easy on
ourselves, we're going to need some help and we're going to have to win our games. ... It might be the case where
we have to win all three."

The Sabres didn't helped themselves with back-to-back losses over the weekend, 5-3 at home to Pittsburgh on Friday
and 4-3 at Toronto the following night. Tyler Ennis, Ville Leino and Drew Stafford scored in the loss to the Maple Leafs,
while Ryan Miller made 25 saves.

Defensemen Christian Ehrhoff and Tyler Myers both sat out Saturday. Ehrhoff, who has missed the last two games
with a left knee injury, will miss the final three. Myers did not practice Monday, but could return for this contest after
taking a shot off his foot against the Penguins.
SABRES' MARGIN FOR ERROR NEARLY ZERO (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – The Buffalo Sabres take the ice tonight in First Niagara Center needing to do what they couldn't
Saturday -- beat the woebegone Toronto Maple Leafs.

But that's only one small piece of a nearly-broken puzzle that would get the Sabres into the playoffs.

For starters, there's almost no question the Sabres need to win all three of their remaining games if they want to pass
either the Florida Panthers or the Washington Capitals.

Coach Lindy Ruff bluntly agreed with that notion Monday when he said, "I'd be stupid to think any other way."

The Sabres likely have to sweep and get some help. They got some Monday night when Washington gave up two
goals in the final 63 seconds to Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos and lost a 4-2 decision to the Lightning. The Caps thus
remain two points ahead of the Sabres while still holding the tiebreaker advantage.

The Sabres all said the right things Monday but the feeling in the locker room was decidedly downcast after practice.

"We kind of let it slip and we're kind of hoping other teams mess up and we have to take care of our business," said
defenseman Mike Weber.

"We've put a lot of effort in but that first part of the season looms over us," said goaltender Ryan Miller. "The room for
error was small and we made the error. Now we've got to make up for it."

The team had worked hard for over a month to climb from last place in the Eastern Conference into eighth and the
driver's seat in the playoff race. Then in two days, the lead was gone thanks to back-to-back losses to Pittsburgh and
Toronto.
TRUE CHARACTER SEEN DURING SABRES' LONG DRY SPELL (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – The Sabres took the ice Monday with the percentages working against them and the probability that
their second-half revival is wasting away after losses on consecutive nights to the Penguins and Maple Leafs. Toronto
will be back in town tonight, having little reason to play other than to ruin Buffalo's season.

Buffalo remained two points and a tiebreaker behind Washington after the Capitals lost to Tampa Bay on Monday
night. Florida was five points ahead. It meant the Sabres, with road games awaiting them in Philadelphia and Boston
to complete the season, need to make up three points in their final three games.

The facts show the end is near.

Naturally, you look back now and wonder if the Sabres could have squeezed out three more measly points in their first
79 games. Two wins here and there does the trick. Heck, they didn't even need to win in regulation. They could have
picked up three more points in overtimes and shootouts. They had three one-goal losses in regulation in their first 10
games.

Buffalo donated a point when Colorado tied the game with 1.9 seconds remaining March 14, the second time the
Sabres allowed a late goal in two games. The Sabres had a 15-11-1 record against teams that were in 11th place or
worse when the week began. They weren't expected to win them all, but two more victories isn't asking too much.

For the third time in five years, Buffalo will likely miss the playoffs. For the fifth straight year, the Sabres will likely fail
to win a playoff series. At least it was a team effort.
MAPLE LEAFS CALL UP JOE COLBORNE FOR INJURED MIKHAIL GRABOVSKI (Full Story)

(Toronto Star) – With no goals in his last 18 games with the Toronto Marlies — and just two assists during that span
— centre Joe Colborne certainly hasn’t been called up to the Maple Leafs for his offensive talents.

But the 6-foot-5 Calgary-born player hopes he’ll find the back of the net when he gets the chance to show Leafs
coach Randy Carlyle what he can do as an emergency call-up for injured centre Mikhail Grabovski.

Colborne, 22, will likely play with Joey Crabb and Clarke MacArthur in Buffalo on Tuesday night as the Leafs hope to
continue their spoiler role against the playoff-challenging Sabres. Grabovski is out for at least Tuesday’s game with a
leg gash from a skate late in Saturday’s 4-3 win over the Sabres at the Air Canada Centre.

Despite his horrendous goal slump, Colborne still has 16 goals and 21 assists in 60 games with the Marlies. He scored
a goal and three assists in nine games with the Leafs earlier this season. Beating Sabres’ goalie Ryan Miller, named
the NHL’s third star of the week, would do wonders for his confidence.

“The pucks haven’t been going in for me,” Colborne said Monday after practice. “The chances are there. I’ve been
hitting different posts and generating chances.

“It’s just a matter of finishing. Hopefully, I’ve been saving up for my chance up here and break out in that way.”

Colborne has become a much better defensive player since his last stint with the big club and his play without the
puck is among the reasons why the Marlies are playoff bound with a shot at a Calder Cup championships.

BUFFALO SABRES

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Christian Ehrhoff (knee), Matt Ellis (knee), Nathan Gerbe (upper body), Tyler Myers (foot) and Mike Weber (undisclosed)
were scratched in Saturday's 4-3 loss to Toronto. Jochen Hecht (concussion) was also missing from the lineup and remains
out indefinitely, as do Ehrhoff and Myers. Ellis has been cleared for tonight's game but will sit, while Gerbe and Weber are
game-time decisions that are expected to dress. The Sabres will start Ryan Miller in goal tonight versus the Leafs.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo announced the signing of Brian Flynn to a one-year ELC on Thursday. Buffalo emergency recalled TJ Brennan
and Brayden McNabb from AHL/Rochester on Saturday. Buffalo announced the signings of Dan Catenacci and Connor
Knapp
to ELCs earlier today.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are: 31-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals; 29-6-4 when scoring three or more; 21-4-6 when Derek Roy
records a point; 20-4-1 when Christian Ehrhoff records a point; 14-3-5 when Tyler Ennis records a point; and 6-2-2 in
their last ten games.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Cody Franson, Jonas Gustavsson (knee), Nikolai Kulemin (finger), Joffrey Lupul (shoulder), James Reimer (head) and
David Steckel (ACL) were scratched in Saturday's 4-3 win over Buffalo. Mikhail Grabovski (laceration) is out tonight
after being cut by a skate blade Saturday. Gustavsson will dress tonight, but Ben Scrivens is expected to get the start
in goal for the Leafs.

Weekly Transactions

Toronto announced the signing of Spencer Abbott to a one-year ELC on Wednesday and the signing of Sam Carrick to
a three-year ELC on Saturday. Toronto recalled Ben Scrivens from AHL/Toronto Saturday. Toronto returned Jussi
Rynnas to AHL/Toronto and recalled Joe Colborne on Tuesday.

According to the Stats

Toronto are: 4-5-1 in their last ten games.

BUFFALO SABRES

1. Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) <27000 views>

2. Summer Roster Moves: The Speculation Thread <13000 views>

3. Obligatory "which playoff bandwagon are you hopping on now?" thread <1250 views>

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (Forum)

1. Joe Colborne has been recalled. <4750 views>

2. Will the Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Schneider, Luongo, or Kiprusoff this summer? <3250 views>

3. Who do you think will make the team out of camp? <1500 views>

A/V CLUB

04/02: Randy Carlyle speaks with the media after Toronto's practice Monday. <9:33>

04/02: Tyler Bozak speaks with the media after Toronto's practice Monday. <1:29>

04/02: Joe Colborne speaks with the media after Toronto's practice Monday. <0:52>

04/02: Joey Crabb speaks with the media after Toronto's practice Monday. <1:51>

04/02: Lindy Ruff speaks with the media after Buffalo's practice Monday. <2:51>

04/02: Marcus Foligno speaks with the media after Buffalo's practice Monday. <2:18>

04/02: Drew Stafford speaks with the media after Buffalo's practice Monday. <1:30>

04/02: Jordan Leopold speaks with the media after Buffalo's practice Monday. <1:54>

04/02: Jason Pominville speaks with the media after Buffalo's practice Monday. <2:51>

04/03: Lindy Ruff speaks with the media before Buffalo's game with Toronto. <3:42>

04/03: Jordan Leopold speaks with the media before Buffalo's game with Toronto. <3:07>

04/03: Jason Pominville speaks with the media before Buffalo's game with Toronto. <3:07>

04/03: Randy Carlyle speaks with the media before Toronto's game in Buffalo. <3:54>

04/03: Ben Scrivens speaks with the media before Toronto's game in Buffalo. <2:31>

04/03: Kevin Sylvester preview tonight's game from First Niagara Center. <1:39>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required); FirstRowSports and Wiziwig

Last edited by Woodhouse: 04-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 500
I guess I have no choice but to hold out hope for the playoffs, though since Saturday I have not felt like it's going to happen. But hey, they pulled me back in this season, so I might as well go along with it until the fate is official.

Go Sabres!
Fire Ruff!

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Doshy

Hopefully it's a close game. Wouldn't mind you guys winning to better our draft pick, not to mention the fact I really don't like Washington.

Good luck!

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Kyndig86

Please win out guys and make the playoffs (need bit more help lol). I'm not ready to stop watching hockey yet

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
fing0rz

#nochance2012

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
Please win out guys and make the playoffs (need bit more help lol). I'm not ready to stop watching hockey yet
Do you really stop watching if the Sabres aren't in?

I know a bunch of people like that and it's frustrating, because I think they're hockey fans, yet when I try to talk about anything to do with the playoffs, they're all clueless.

I guess I just don't understand how anyone can follow this hockey team, yet not give a crap about a very exciting additional 2 months of hockey.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Luceni

I smell another loss. We're lost without Myers and Erhoff. Calm down guys and deal with it. We're out.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Do you really stop watching if the Sabres aren't in?

I know a bunch of people like that and it's frustrating, because I think they're hockey fans, yet when I try to talk about anything to do with the playoffs, they're all clueless.

I guess I just don't understand how anyone can follow this hockey team, yet not give a crap about a very exciting additional 2 months of hockey.
Yes I stop watching for the most part. Its kind of painful to watch other teams going on knowing your team has been eliminated.

I don't think it makes us any less of hockey fans. When the Sabres got kicked outta the playoffs last year the first thing I did was go outside and play some street hockey. Whats it matter if I don't care to watch some other team? At least we aren't bandwagon jumpers, they are by far the worst type of sports fan.

Yeah hockey is the best sport in the world (imo). I used to think it was football but after being drawn into hockey its like I don't even care about football anymore (and I'm a Steelers fan heh..so thats sayin something).

One love, one team. That's how it is for me

Old
04-03-2012, 12:41 AM
HernzNation

Hope you guys demolish us...! No reverse jinxing here, I really do hope we get thoroughly destroyed. Not only for my own sadistic, selfish reasons (bettering our draft pick) but I think you guys have a much better shot at taking out Richie Rich (brad richards) and the Rags.

HernzNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
SwordStanley10

Here's hoping for a win. Its been a fun ride so far and even if they dont make it (odds are pretty heavily against us) I'm glad that April hockey has still had meaning, which is something I never thought would have been possible two months ago.

LETS GO BUFFALO

SwordStanley10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
All my gimmick posts are gone.

No rap.

No negativity.

No haikus.

Get up for it.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Royisgone

We still have a couple days left to enjoy the race.

I think we beat the Leafs (maybe by a lot) this time around and keep things interesting a bit longer. We'll learn from our experience last Saturday and I think the outcome will be different this time.

I just don't see us keeping this race alive past Thursday however.

If we magically remain in it heading into Saturday, oh boy. That will be a long day.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:20 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

#nochance

2-0 Lheefphsz

Khhlbjrnńę, Phpfrttynē

A loss in regulaish would mathematically eliminate us? Or not yet? Too lazy to do the simple math on my own on the iPad so thanks in advance.

LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO!!!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:26 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
A loss in regulaish would mathematically eliminate us? Or not yet? Too lazy to do the simple math on my own on the iPad so thanks in advance.
Noape. 4's the numbah

Old
04-03-2012, 01:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Noape. 4's the numbah
awcim spellingue, surr. a++. Definitely doesn't go unnoticed. Nicely done.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:59 AM
ryanbiggame*

Send a message via AIM to ryanbiggame* Send a message via Skype™ to ryanbiggame*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I smell another loss. We're lost without Myers and Erhoff. Calm down guys and deal with it. We're out.
**** you!

Never say die! I will ride with you "sabres" till' the end..of the season..

ryanbiggame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:09 AM
LGB24

If we lose back to backs to the leafs thats just flat out embarrassing. A win really isn't that rewarding, it'd be like outrunning a kid in a wheelchair.
Yeah my optimism is gone. Just don't see us winning out with Philly and Boston up next.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:21 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

What the ****, guys. They've literally lost like 5 games in regulation since January or some ****. It's not impossible to string three wins together at that rate.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
If we lose back to backs to the leafs thats just flat out embarrassing. A win really isn't that rewarding, it'd be like outrunning a kid in a wheelchair.
Yeah my optimism is gone. Just don't see us winning out with Philly and Boston up next.
Yup if they don't come out angry and destroy them (or try) I'll be upset.

At least they won't have Briere in the Philly game...he always kills us

Boston last game of season maybe we will get their backup goalie..and maybe for once we won't make a backup goalie look like a Vezina winner?

Old
04-03-2012, 04:10 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

whats's going on with phaneuf's socks in that pic ? are they over his skates ?

Looks just weird....like todays major league ball players who were pants down to cleets, lol....

Nice to see Tin Man lighting it up as a leaf ----> .5 points/game and -11....not missin' him in the least bit....

Need Myers back....Going to be tough to beat Flyers and Bruins w/out Ehrhoff though....Guess just take it a game at a time......

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Win. Or DIE!!!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Buffatrolls will win out but still miss the playoffs.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:19 AM
HiddenInLight

Also LET'S GO JETS!!!!!!! A win from them tonight would indirectly help us by making florida play harder against washington to lock the division up. Either that or pray that the panthers and rangers decide to troll washington and crush them in their respective games.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm going. Get it done.

04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔