HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kirk Muller gone the real reason for the downfall.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Muller leaving was huge, we might aswell have had no coach at all behind the bench the way ******* martin was asleep most of the game. Good riddance to martin, now once we replace his rookie clone we can finally right this sinking ship.

Gauthiers biggest mistake was not firing martin earlier and replacing him with Muller. Now that was a leader.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Kriss E

We were 12-7-5 after the horrible 1-5-2 to begin the season.
Muller is not the reason for our downfall.
We started the season with a very inexperienced defensive group. We heavily relied on the return of Markov, which came about 5months late.

That was the main reason for our early struggles. When they fired Martin, RC became the main reason why we turned into a lotto team.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I would say there are too many reasons to actually pinpoint a sole cause.

Muller leaving, Pearn's firing, the way Cammalleri was traded, Martin firing, distraction from the Cunneyworth nonsense, injuries, growing pains from a few rookies/sophomores. It was all one giant mess, wrapped up in a big ball and thrown down at the city of Montreal. Unfortunate, yes. But the Habs have nowhere to look but up from this point on.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Habitants

the loss of Muller is prob significant, combined with very thin/green D to start the season, injuries etc = disaster.

at least we will get a new management team to start over and a good pick.

should be able to turn it around fast with the right moves.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:22 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Svoboda View Post
We were a crappy team before Hamrlik came here. We became a crappy team once he left. He was the glue of that defense.
Sorry man but you're hugely overestimating an old defenceman. He was good but he had trouble keeping up when the tempo increased.

I personally think coaching was a huge issue this yr including under JM. Setting aside the french/english coach debate for a second here, anybody think we'd be fighting for a playoff position if Hitchock were hired in Mtl rather than St-Louis? I think so.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Muller leaving was huge, we might aswell have had no coach at all behind the bench the way ******* martin was asleep most of the game. Good riddance to martin, now once we replace his rookie clone we can finally right this sinking ship.

Gauthiers biggest mistake was not firing martin earlier and replacing him with Muller. Now that was a leader.
I love your posts.

Martin bad. Gauthier good for getting rid of Martin. Gauthier not so good for not keeping Muller. So, Martin good. No, I mean Gauthier good. Cunneyworth bad but Gauthier good. No, I mean no coach is better than Gauthier, or was that Martin?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:53 PM
bentheprop

Carolina has gone 23-19-12 since Muller took over. Even with the D that Montreal has been icing this season the team would have been way better under him than they have been under Martin/Cunneyworth.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
It seems crystal clear that Kirk Muller was the real 'coach' on the canadiens bench these past seasons. He was still receiving orders from Martin but he was the one dealing with giving them to the players and he was the strong point for the players and the guy to go to with any questions they had.

So when the season started and everything was going wrong, they knew it was because Perry Pearn couldn't really replace Kirk, so they fired him. When they brought in Ladouceur things started to get a little better but only to get worst afterwards. The reason? Jacques Martin didn't have all the guts to do the talking and coaching to the players himself and that's why Martin/Muller had success. Martin is a brillant hockey mind but he gives no inspiration to the players.

So they fired him and replaced Martin with Cunneyworth. They probably thought that Cunneyworth was a much better communicator than Martin and they were right. But the problem is the he lacks experience in the NHL as a coach and certainly has issues with playing systems in the D zone particularly but also in the offensive zone and the PP.

The reality is that Muller was too good for just an assistant position and that Martin was too weak in communicating with the players. Yes the team made some bad changes throughout the year and managing lacked flair but the starting point of all that was breaking the Martin/Muller system and now it has to be replaced by something more or at least as good.
Even if Muller is such a huge reason for the demise, he had a glass ceiling in montreal where he could only be interim head coach at best. He was bound to move on. That's just the reality of this market, unfortunately.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I love your posts.

Martin bad. Gauthier good for getting rid of Martin. Gauthier not so good for not keeping Muller. So, Martin good. No, I mean Gauthier good. Cunneyworth bad but Gauthier good. No, I mean no coach is better than Gauthier, or was that Martin?

what still scares me ,is JM mentioning in the media recently , he wants to interview for GM...Like ya know, should be a great interview....lol

I made a joke about it happening long time ago when he was coach , i hope it doesn't happen ..even him as asst....no no no ..

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Even if Muller is such a huge reason for the demise, he had a glass ceiling in montreal where he could only be interim head coach at best. He was bound to move on. That's just the reality of this market, unfortunately.
In the end the fault goes to management which were unable to find a suitable replacement for Muller. They under-estimated his communication with the players and what it had done in the past two years. I think that if someone with such experience and energy would of been brought in, whoever that person is would of made a difference under Jacques Martin.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Habsoil

Id love to had muller coaching the habs but i think the 10-20 1 goal games played a part. The giving up of leads in the 3rd, the nov-dec unlucky bounces.
Must have lost half of our 1 goal games do to freaky, weird or plain unlucky bounces.

The bounces can go either way and every can agree there for a while every bouncr was against the habs.

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
It seems crystal clear that Kirk Muller was the real 'coach' on the canadiens bench these past seasons. He was still receiving orders from Martin but he was the one dealing with giving them to the players and he was the strong point for the players and the guy to go to with any questions they had.

So when the season started and everything was going wrong, they knew it was because Perry Pearn couldn't really replace Kirk, so they fired him. When they brought in Ladouceur things started to get a little better but only to get worst afterwards. The reason? Jacques Martin didn't have all the guts to do the talking and coaching to the players himself and that's why Martin/Muller had success. Martin is a brillant hockey mind but he gives no inspiration to the players.

So they fired him and replaced Martin with Cunneyworth. They probably thought that Cunneyworth was a much better communicator than Martin and they were right. But the problem is the he lacks experience in the NHL as a coach and certainly has issues with playing systems in the D zone particularly but also in the offensive zone and the PP.

The reality is that Muller was too good for just an assistant position and that Martin was too weak in communicating with the players. Yes the team made some bad changes throughout the year and managing lacked flair but the starting point of all that was breaking the Martin/Muller system and now it has to be replaced by something more or at least as good.
We were over .500 when Martin was released then the bottom fell out. Have to find date Muller left and our record at that time to determine if above is true. Which I don't have the time to do

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
We were over .500 when Martin was released then the bottom fell out. Have to find date Muller left and our record at that time to determine if above is true. Which I don't have the time to do
Muller started coaching in the AHL before the season started. And then got the job in Carolina

And we weren't over 500 we were a point under 500

Last edited by Alexdaman: 04-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old
04-03-2012, 02:51 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Muller started coaching in the AHL before the season started. And then got the job in Carolina

And we weren't over 500 we were a point under 500
No, I can't see it being Muller as reason for downfall then. If Habs were around .500 without him with no Markov, Gionta....horrendus starts by Cammalleri and Subban, not really that bad. Just too many injuries and key players having off seasons reason for collapse.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Muller running the power play>Cunneyworth running the PP.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

what still scares me ,is JM mentioning in the media recently , he wants to interview for GM...Like ya know, should be a great interview....lol

I made a joke about it happening long time ago when he was coach , i hope it doesn't happen ..even him as asst....no no no ..
You better be ****ing scared. He stayed on as GM after being fired as head coach in Florida. The man is a seducer.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I agree with this.

I disagree that Muller would have made a difference. Muller is where he should be.
Head coach of an NHL team?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Head coach of an NHL team......
.......and not in Montreal.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

No way he's a significant factor in this season's misery. It's mind boggling how overrated Kirk is on this forum.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
No way he's a significant factor in this season's misery. It's mind boggling how overrated Kirk is on this forum.
It's obvious that there's miscommunication or rather a lack of motivation from the coaches to the players. That being a factor all year long I think if Muller would of stayed things would of been different that's why we need a coach able to motivate the players as he was able to.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Megaforce

From my eyes the defense was too weak this year. I don't think keeping Spacek, Hamrlik, et al, would have made the difference, as they'd really slowed down. I think everybody say Pleks blow by Hamrlik recently, it wasn't pretty.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote