HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#80 KINGS vs. OILERS, 4/2/12 ... Thoughts & Tidbits = WE WIN, still in 3rd !!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
"Slava's a stud," Matt Greene said. "He gets his points whenever we need him. He never scores kind of a fifth goal or anything like that. It's always the go-ahead or the tying goal or the winning goal. He's a real stud back there."
True dat.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Our defense is better with Jack gone. Better structured, more flowing and less rocky as a unit. Defensemen having the hockey IQ to know when to activate (which I don't believe Jack showed at all in LA) has been huge.
I would agree with this statement. Solid six in the defense core.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Pharseer

vCash: 431
Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Were you watching the same game as all of us? The Kings never let up at all. Dubnyk played a very solid game.

The Oilers were so poor offensively because of the Kings attack and pressure, and there defensive play.
And thats exactly how we need to play from here on out, Attack and pressure, 1st-3rd periods and beyond if needed. It's amazing what a change in coaches will do.

Some of us got so tired of that dump and chase, and it never stopped, even when we were losing the board battles.

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:10 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharseer View Post
And thats exactly how we need to play from here on out, Attack and pressure, 1st-3rd periods and beyond if needed. It's amazing what a change in coaches will do.

Some of us got so tired of that dump and chase, and it never stopped, even when we were losing the board battles.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
"Maybe (the NHL) needs Hollywood in the playoffs, I'm not sure." - Oilers coach Tom Renney on the officiating in the LA game

How'd that 4 min penalty work out for you Tom?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:28 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post

How'd that 4 min penalty work out for you Tom?
Looking at this game, he should be happy they didn't get blown out and he can keep his job. The officiating should've been the least of his concerns that's for sure.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:57 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Fan Appreciation Night is gonna be spectacular.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:15 AM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Remember when Oilers fans thought they "won" the Smyth trade?

Aahhhhhh good times.
They actually did win the trade. Usually you are pretty happy if you get a productive second liner for a spare part.

Oh and Smyth saved two goals tonight.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by haca oighir View Post
Guys who stood out... to me...
Clifford, Lewis, Kopitar, King, Brown, Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell, Greene, Quick. But really, everyone had a solid game. No complaints.
For those that wanted DL fired, just look at the home grown talent on this team.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:24 AM
damacles1156

Well good game, I went tonight with my sister.

My sisters First time seeing the Kings play . She had a hard time following the puck and the action. But thought the Goal Horn was cool....

Last edited by damacles1156: 04-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:38 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Fan Appreciation Night is gonna be spectacular.
I wish Herby would get picked to get Stoll's jersey.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Can someone with a DVR and the ability to do so make a gif of Penner doing the head bob on the bench to "I'm sexy and I know it?" It was coming right out of the tv timeout at 8:28 remaining in the 3rd...
Even better, someone make a gif of penner doing the puck flip trick sometime in the beginning of the third. Add a chefs hat, pancake as the puck and a spacula to replace his stick...THAT would be gold!

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I smell you, division title.
Start with that, and move on up.

Awesome game and keep it going Thur vs the Sharks.

(..... was going to type something about division titles, but do not want to be responsible for jinx. I'll save it)

Dubnick played a great game and kept the score close. I've read several oiler fans bag on him - he always seems to play well against the Kings...?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Kingurentai

Agree on all the Voynov praise. The reason I don't notice Doughty not living up to his hype (yet, he will eventually), is Voynov is playing so well.

Also that pass by Richards was amazing. Completely outplayed whoever that Oiler D was and he knew going into the play that he was going to outplay that guy.

Good win. NOw let's close this season out and get ready for playoffs.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:20 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I saw the post game interview with Renney. Do the coaches of Canadian teams and the media that report on them ever think that the better team won the game? Is it always the officiating?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
That would be amazing.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Martyros

All 4 lines were solid. Say what you want about penner, but it felt like he was on the ice for half the game and generated Alot of opportunities with his linemates.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Kings just kept chipping away until they finally solved Dubnyk.

It has been a real pleasure to watch Quick this season. He has grown each and every year. He works his butt off and came out at the very start of the season as the Kings toughest player mentally and he has never wavered.
I wonder how many people still think he isn't worth $7 million a year right now. Unless he completely melts in the playoffs, I'd pay that for him. The only reason we are talking playoffs, nevermind a division title is this guy. If we win the Pacific, the banner should have "Los Angeles Kings" crossed out and replaced with "Jonathan Quick".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
That lost point in Minnesota would have locked it all up for us :/
Or, you could try looking at it in a non-negative way, that the point we got at the end of a back-to-back after getting in at 4:00 a.m. has us in a much better position to clinch a DIVISION title.

Seriously, some people will find anything to be negative about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
25-13-9
That's a .628 winning percentage (we had a .515 percentage under TM). If we had a .628 winning percentage all year to this point, we'd have 100 points, a divisional title locked up a while ago, and have the seventh best winning percentage in the NHL (fourth best in the Western Conference). We are also 12-4-1 since the day after the trade deadline, which is a .735 winning percentage. The team just is getting better and better under Sutter, which is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Remember when Oilers fans thought they "won" the Smyth trade?

Aahhhhhh good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
They actually did win the trade. Usually you are pretty happy if you get a productive second liner for a spare part.

Oh and Smyth saved two goals tonight.
When that "productive" second liner has seven goals and 22 points in his last 58 games while carrying a $6.25 million cap hit, I would not call that winning the trade by any stretched. We unloaded a lot of cap space and got a useful spare part in return. Think of what Philly had to do to get rid of Jeremy Roenick, they paid us to take him. DL did really well in the Smyth trade and won the deal easily IMO. Outside of his fast start, Smyth has been a colossal flop in Edmonton.

Quote:
I'd rather Kurrilino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I saw the post game interview with Renney. Do the coaches of Canadian teams and the media that report on them ever think that the better team won the game? Is it always the officiating?
Not all Canadian coaches do that. Really, I think the reason Canadian coaches get singled out for this is because they are in front of a microphone more than most other coaches. All coaches ***** about the reffing, just that there's a better chance that A) a Canadian coach will got recorded saying it, and B) It'll get played across the nation/sport world. Sad fact is, teams like Toronto and Montreal get more air time than teams like Detroit and the Rangers, even though the first two are absolutely brutal right now.

To be honest, I find that Renney for the most hasn't been much of a complainer about the refs, outside of tonight (which I find to be complete crap, but whatever). Paul MacLean and Claude Noel are also really good at pointing the finger where it belongs, and much of the time that's no where near the refs.

As for the media, the individual team crews are bad (the Flames and Nucks crews are real big homers, oilers not so much), but the major reporters in the country (Bob MacKenzie, Gord Miller, etc. aren't biased at all. Even pierre MacGuire, who I hate, isn't biased that I can say and will point out if a team is playing bad, Canadian or not.

Really, much of the homerism is from the individual team broadcast crews, and that's not different formost teams. Look at the Ducks, they have to have one of the worst crews around, period. Hayward is just brutal.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Voynov, at this point in time, is better than Doughty on both offense and defense.

I think we overpaid for Doughty, but I am hoping that this is just "first-year" jitters over the big contract, plus the fact he missed camp and was injured for a few games early in the year.

He has to bring it next year, of the jury will definitely rule against him.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
If I get that jersey, most likely I will just hand it back to Stoll.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Looking at this game, he should be happy they didn't get blown out and he can keep his job. The officiating should've been the least of his concerns that's for sure.
He's not going anywhere...they may be at the bottom of the standings, but that team brings it every night and they have won 32 games this year.

That being said, what a ****-ing asshat that guy is. Poor sport. Crybaby. POS. Whiner.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Asheru

Quote:
I wonder how many people still think he isn't worth $7 million a year right now.
Count me as one.

It's not an anti-Quick position. I don't agree with giving any goaltender that, just looking at the way other teams are structured. Most of the monster contracts for goalies wind up being headaches at some point. Nashville was in a tight spot with Rinne, but I hate them for doing it.

He's having a great year behind a strong defensive club. He has been able to grow into the job and he's fantastic. I just don't like $7M.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Voynov has 4G, 5A, +8 in 19 games
Martinez has 3G, 4A, +5 in 19 games
Doughty has 3G, 6 A, +0 in 19 games. (But he scored goals in 2 straight games prior to Johnon being dealt.)

Johnson has 3G, 8 A, +2 in 18 games
Are you SURE this isn't a typo???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

DD is still developing and will have his ups and downs but he is well worth his contract imo. He is so far ahead of most kids on D that only time will show how great he will become but the sky is the limit for him.

Voynov looks better than he did in his year before the draft and he was a stud back then. I honestly thought that he would go in the top 10 or so but couldn't be happier that he ended up a King.

DL and co's drafting his been exceptional and I continue to think that they may be among the best.

King is doing exactly what he has done throughout his career and to me that is always playing slightly better than he looks capable of doing. The thing is that he has done this at every level he has played so it is good to see him playing the same way at the NHL level.

Nolan hasn't even begun to show us how great he is capable of being as a 3rd liner but still looks pretty darn good so far.

Lewis is doing great. He has his moments but then again he is still relatively new to the NHL game so it is to be expected. His speed and heart is above question and he is getting better in his weak areas all the time.

Clifford is still finding his way but he is a solid gamer when he is on the ice. I think that we are seeing a true sophmore slump type of season out of Clifford this season and that he will take another leap forward next year and become a stalwart high end 3rd liner with 2nd line potential.

A Mart. Just an excellent skating D man with such great balance that he makes time for himself and that is the key to how great he has become. Even when he is out of position or when he needs to jump up on O sooner his skating gets him where he needs to be before he gets into any trouble. He is also developing along so nicely that these momentary lapses are getting fewer and further between and I am happy everyone is starting to see the true potential of this kid.

Quick = Astonishing. I thought he would be good but never this good. I got allot of heat last year for calling him one of the top 5 goalies in the game and I am totally blown away by how great he has played this year.

Sutter preaches the same thing that I was told by one of the greatest coaches of all time and that is balanced attack, balanced team. We roll three exceptional lines of balance and one that is very close. Our D is very well balanced.

Is this our year? I am still rooting for us to make it into the playoffs and then do some serious damage which is what right on course imo with where we should be. Are we becoming a top 6 team? It sure looks like we are to me. We may still need a tweak or two but we are very close.

It's a good day to be a Kings fan.

Now lets get at least a win out of these next two games and get into the playoffs and do some serious damage.

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Count me as one.

It's not an anti-Quick position. I don't agree with giving any goaltender that, just looking at the way other teams are structured. Most of the monster contracts for goalies wind up being headaches at some point. Nashville was in a tight spot with Rinne, but I hate them for doing it.

He's having a great year behind a strong defensive club. He has been able to grow into the job and he's fantastic. I just don't like $7M.
I agree with this. I would be leary of giving any goalie a Rinne-like contract, and that isn't being anti-Quick at all.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote