HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Offensively the top 6 is forming I believe. Grabner will be on the left side of the third line while Ullstrom plays RW. We need a third line center. And the fourth line should look like this Martin-Reasoner-Haley

I'd rather go with this

Grabs-Ullstrom-Martin
Prust-Haley-Glass

Old
04-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Islander Prophet

The bottom line is that we need to get a really good defenseman for next season if we want to make the playoffs. That's the minimum, after that we can try to get a forward to add to our depth.

That gives us a good (not great, but good) offense which hopefully includes PAP and a solid top 4 defensive unit (along with two younger guys filling out the last two spots) and solid goaltending. That should place us in the playoffs next season, but all this requires us to obtain that top d-man (whether it's Suter, Subban or Yandle)

Old
04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
The bottom line is that we need to get a really good defenseman for next season if we want to make the playoffs. That's the minimum, after that we can try to get a forward to add to our depth.

That gives us a good (not great, but good) offense which hopefully includes PAP and a solid top 4 defensive unit (along with two younger guys filling out the last two spots) and solid goaltending. That should place us in the playoffs next season, but all this requires us to obtain that top d-man (whether it's Suter, Subban or Yandle)
Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Ullstrom-XXX-Parenteau
Martin-Cizikas-XXX

Streit-XXX
AMac-Hamonic
XXX-XXX

Nabokov
Poulin/Montoya/Nilsson

Overpay Stoll, 4th line plug. Let Donovan, DeHaan, Ness fight for last defensive spot. Overpay Wideman, Sarich. Sign Reese as 7th D.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Islander Prophet

not convinced of playing Strome quite yet unless he really shows it during the camp...

Old
04-02-2012, 07:03 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Ullstrom-XXX-Parenteau
Martin-Cizikas-XXX

Streit-XXX
AMac-Hamonic
XXX-XXX

Nabokov
Poulin/Montoya/Nilsson

Overpay Stoll, 4th line plug. Let Donovan, DeHaan, Ness fight for last defensive spot. Overpay Wideman, Sarich. Sign Reese as 7th D.
Can Ullstrom play center? Put Petrov on the third line?

Old
04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't know if that is the set number.I read an article about Columbus qualifying for a full share of revenue sharing.The writer said the check could be for as much as $10m.

In Dec. 2010.Daly told Botta that the Isles,Ducks and Devils have been pushing to have revenue sharing rules changed in the new cba.From his comments,it sounds those teams stand a good chance of getting revenue sharing checks.
Thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
FA's that We could/Should get. Some Pipe dreams some no good and some we might go for.

Any thoughts? IMO we should be going the Trade route..

Joe Corvo
Chris Kelly
Greg Zannon
Brad Boyes
Alex Sulzer
Corey Sarich
Bryan Allen
Johnny Oduya
David Jones
Adam Burish

Dustin Penner
Kurtis Foster
Hal Gill
Andrei Kostisyn
RYAN SUTER
Ryan Carter
PARISE
Brandon Prust
Matt Gilroy
Fillip Kuba
Matt Carle
Nicklas Grossman
Pavel Kubina
Aaron Asham
Barret Jackman

Colin white Murray
Sami Salo
Semin
Knuble
Wideman
Bolded are the guys that I'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I'd welcome in Jarrett Stoll as my 3rd line center, he's a 54 % faceoff guy, plays on the PK and is known to be good in the shootouts. He can provide intangibles. He's 30 so he could always return to his 20 goal, 25 assist form. We are 27th in faceoffs, he would certainly help us not be so close to the bottom.
Yeah, I'd take him. He'd be a good stop gap for Strome IMO. I think he is slow as molasses which I don't like but put him with some energetic forwards such as Ullstrom then maybe it's not so bad.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
not convinced of playing Strome quite yet unless he really shows it during the camp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
Can Ullstrom play center? Put Petrov on the third line?
I'm sure Strome actually being ready is the least of management's concerns.

Ullstrom was a center in NHL11 so probably.

Seriously though, I see Strome in the NHL next year. This team builds depth through the draft.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I wouldn't mind Brad Boyes, I just don't see a spot for him unless it's on the 3rd line especially if Parenteau is re-signed. Penner would be solid. Trade Bailey for a defenseman.

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Penner-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-XXX-Ullstrom
Martin-Reasoner-XXX

Streit-XXX
MacDonald-Hamonic
Donovan-XXX

Nabokov
DP/Poulin
the grass in always greener...i don't know about you, but i have seen penner play a few times, and he seems to me to be one of the most uninspired players in the league. honestly, you would hate this guy in an isles uniform after the first month of the season.

and another trade bailey idea?

Old
04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
SJ Vlasic or Pavelski
Min IDK
COL Tyutin
Ducks Sbisa and Ryan.....Ryan's Price would be high and I Think if one of the Big 3 were too be traded from them that Getzlaf and Perry would go before Ryan, just my gut...
Would love to add all those guys, but I think Ryan and Sbisa will be to expensive, same with Vlasic. Pavelski will be very expensive as well, but I don't think it's that unrealistic.

Tyutin is the guy I was really thinking about, would be good #2/3 defenseman for us.

From Anaheim I was thinking Lydman, he would make for a good stopgap if we draft Murray or Dumba, and would allow for them to develop properly.

Murray from SJ would be appealing, he provides exactly what we lack, a physical, crease clearing defenseman.

I really think Murray, Tyutin, and Lydman could all be had for reasonable prices.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Islanders1932

Lets rush Strome because that worked out so nicely with Nino

Old
04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

there wont be any

Old
04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
the grass in always greener...i don't know about you, but i have seen penner play a few times, and he seems to me to be one of the most uninspired players in the league. honestly, you would hate this guy in an isles uniform after the first month of the season.

and another trade bailey idea?
ANOTHER PLEASE DONT TRADE JOSH BAILEY BECAUSE HE IS THE CORNERSTONE OF THIS FRANCHISE

Package Bailey for Slava Voynov and light up a cigar cause thats a huge addition to our blue line. Throw the bank at Shea Weber and our defense is solid.

Ofcourse none of this wont happen because our owner is the GM and our GM is just collecting a pay check doing whatever he says.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
agreed. as i said in another thread a while back, if strome is up next year, the isles are a lock for another lottery pick...not that they sort of aren't already.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
ANOTHER PLEASE DONT TRADE JOSH BAILEY BECAUSE HE IS THE CORNERSTONE OF THIS FRANCHISE

Package Bailey for Slava Voynov and light up a cigar cause thats a huge addition to our blue line. Throw the bank at Shea Weber and our defense is solid.

Ofcourse none of this wont happen because our owner is the GM and our GM is just collecting a pay check doing whatever he says.
Please relax with the caps.

Why trade Bailey now just when he's starting to emerge as a 2nd liner? We have had no secondary scoring for 90% of the season until this Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line was put together. Why break it up now just so we can get a guy like Voynov who is pretty much exactly what we already have(de Haan, Donovan, Ness, Katic, Kichton, etc.)?

BTW, I highly doubt any GM throws an offer sheet at Weber. That rarely ever happens, even for players as good as he is. I understand your frustrations with this team's front office/ownership, but kinda hard to get mad at them for not offer-sheeting an RFA. If you are gonna throw that kind of money around, why not just go after Suter?

Old
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Completely different situation.

IF Strome makes the team, he will have A) earned it in TC.. if the kid looks out of place he will not be here, and B) he will be playing in a top-6 role.

Strome's game doesn't fit a bottom-6, so he would most definitely be playing on one of the top-2 lines, and most likely that line will be the Tavares and Moulson line. Nino has the size and style that fits pretty much any line, which is why the Isles felt comfortable with him in a 4th line role. It was a mistake, but trust me if Strome is on this team he will not be in a situation anywhere near the one Nino was in this season.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Strome not only earns a spot next year, but puts up some pretty solid numbers playing with Tavares.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:42 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Completely different situation.

IF Strome makes the team, he will have A) earned it in TC.. if the kid looks out of place he will not be here, and B) he will be playing in a top-6 role.

Strome's game doesn't fit a bottom-6, so he would most definitely be playing on one of the top-2 lines, and most likely that line will be the Tavares and Moulson line. Nino has the size and style that fits pretty much any line, which is why the Isles felt comfortable with him in a 4th line role. It was a mistake, but trust me if Strome is on this team he will not be in a situation anywhere near the one Nino was in this season.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Strome not only earns a spot next year, but puts up some pretty solid numbers playing with Tavares.
I would not be so quick to put Strome on JT's wing. The kid is a natural center and I cannot recall him ever playing on the wing, including the international tourneys. You would think that his skillset and style would translate well to the wing, but why move him when centers carry a premium? If Strome makes the team, he will be the #2 center. I only hope the Isles give him one more year at Niagara to physically mature before he's thrust into that position.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

Old
04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Stercrazy

I think the wild card is Petrov. I'm not saying he's going to light it up but he might be better then what we have now on the 3rd line.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Voynov is expected to step into Jack Johnson's role for the kings,add offense fo their blueline.I doubt he's available.

Also,I believe he's about 5'10 or 5'11.Isles really don't need more small pmd.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
It'd be a crime.

But it's very likely to happen. I'm thinking Ryan is not eligible for the AHL, right?

Anyhow, no reason to think they'd have him elsewhere unless his camp is just horrible. Otherwise, those bonuses in the contract will really help in reaching the cap floor, unless the new CBA talks bring the league to a standstill.

But just think... If that happens, half our expected team will be in the AHL or juniors!

Awesome...

Old
04-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Anything is possible, but again, we're talking about SnoWang here. Throw the bank at player XXX... Just ain't happening.

As for Voynov, when talking extensively with the Kings staff during their season kick-off here in Europe, I was given the distinct impression that they're not moving this kid until they know what he can do in a regular role at this level. I can only imagine that this is now moreso the case in light of Johnson having been moved.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
I think the wild card is Petrov. I'm not saying he's going to light it up but he might be better then what we have now on the 3rd line.
If things work out contractually - and heck, we just aren't gonna know until it happens - expect him to make the Isles out of camp.

I know folks haven't seen him much, but he's now spent 1.5 seasons playing regularly in the KHL and with his size, style, hockey sense and skating, he's NHL-ready.

Now, whether he's ready to make an offensive impact is somewhat unlikely, but if he's here, he's going to be able to play NHL hockey.

Someone mentioned that having him in the line-up could push Niederreiter down (like to the AHL, where he should spend next season anyways), and I have to concur a bit. I'd like Nino down on the farm anyways, but a guy like Petrov coming does essentially 'replace' the tools offered by Niederreiter - and then some.

If looking for a comparable, I think folks should really picture what Anisimov's rookie year in the NHL was. That is about what we should be expecting from Petrov if he signs.

All this said, I think Bluechip Bonzo (who else) provided a link from a Petrov goal not long ago. I just couldn't get over how similar his stride and power move towards the goal was to Tavares' style. I thought it was a bit uncanny, albeit just one example.

Here a few highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThZR4wPKGhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DmdEhUPkS2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYWrOjb4EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9b2jLJnxc

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 04-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old
04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
BennyBST

I had no idea that Douglas Murray was a free agent! He should be our #1 target IMO, it gives us an opportunity to have a somewhat legit top 4 for a season. It also gives us another hitter in the lineup besides Martin.

Streit-D. Murray
MacDonald-Hamonic

Old
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I had no idea that Douglas Murray was a free agent! He should be our #1 target IMO, it gives us an opportunity to have a somewhat legit top 4 for a season. It also gives us another hitter in the lineup besides Martin.

Streit-D. Murray
MacDonald-Hamonic
One more year on his deal actually.

Last edited by seafoam: 04-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old
04-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Seanpuff34

Mock Offseason

FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($3.133m) / John Tavares ($5.500m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Joshua Bailey ($1.050m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
Michael Grabner ($3.000m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / David Jones ($3.000m)
Brandon Prust ($1.200m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.350m) / Matt Martin ($1.400m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Barret Jackman ($4.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($0.550m) / Travis Hamonic ($0.875m)
Calvin de Haan ($1.470m) / Nicklas Grossman ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.750m)
Kevin Poulin ($0.892m)
BUYOUTS
Alexei Yashin ($2.204m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,523,999; BONUSES: $862,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,776,001

I think Snow will go hard for Doan if he hits free agency only because he fits the snow profile. But not only can Doan still provide offensively, he can provide the leadership this team needs to go along with a gritty winger that JT can really use on the ice.

we all want a real number 2 center but I just dont see that happening but Chris Kelly should provide another defensively responsible center so that franz can be used more on the second line as well as the PP. I realize Franz isnt really an offensive machine but he is one of the best passers on the team and we all know how much they look for the perfect pass on the PP.

David Jones provides some size and scoring to the third line that will hopefully feature grabner and kelly. So really that line has speed and offensive scoring but will not be a complete defensive liability on the ice with kelly and the fact that grabner is a pretty good PK. Also i would rather sign jones than have ullstrum on the club because even though he has the size to play in the NHL there is no need to rush him and risk him loosing his offensive game because hes not ready to step into his role.

Prust is really interchangeable with haley as far as im concerned but Prust has proven he can actually put up points as well as bring a physical game and Snow needs to prove to Wang that he is not there just to fight otherwise no fighters actually see ice time.

The Barrett Jackman signing is really the most important one. Streit needs a defensively minded D partner to really get his game going. Streit has a terrible plus/minus stat because his game calls for him to jump into the play more so than any of our other defenseman and when that happens it leaves his partner by himself or with a foward and thats really where his terrible stat comes from. He isnt the greatest defender but he definitely is better than his stats show

I like Grossman because he has proved he can actually be an effective Dman in the NHL while playing with the flyers. He is a big body, space clearing Dman that could really help with the development of some of the younger D Prospects looking to crack the lineup as well as actually bring some physicality from someone other that Hamonic. I hate to use the Rags as an example but McDonagh was able to utilize his offensive abilities because he knows his partner Girardi is defensively sound and capable of making a play unlike streits partners this year Staois Jurcina and reese.

What does everyone else think?

Closed Thread