HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPuff34 View Post
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($3.133m) / John Tavares ($5.500m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Joshua Bailey ($1.050m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
Michael Grabner ($3.000m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / David Jones ($3.000m)
Brandon Prust ($1.200m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.350m) / Matt Martin ($1.400m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Barret Jackman ($4.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($0.550m) / Travis Hamonic ($0.875m)
Calvin de Haan ($1.470m) / Nicklas Grossman ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.750m)
Kevin Poulin ($0.892m)
BUYOUTS
Alexei Yashin ($2.204m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,523,999; BONUSES: $862,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,776,001

I think Snow will go hard for Doan if he hits free agency only because he fits the snow profile. But not only can Doan still provide offensively, he can provide the leadership this team needs to go along with a gritty winger that JT can really use on the ice.

we all want a real number 2 center but I just dont see that happening but Chris Kelly should provide another defensively responsible center so that franz can be used more on the second line as well as the PP. I realize Franz isnt really an offensive machine but he is one of the best passers on the team and we all know how much they look for the perfect pass on the PP.

David Jones provides some size and scoring to the third line that will hopefully feature grabner and kelly. So really that line has speed and offensive scoring but will not be a complete defensive liability on the ice with kelly and the fact that grabner is a pretty good PK. Also i would rather sign jones than have ullstrum on the club because even though he has the size to play in the NHL there is no need to rush him and risk him loosing his offensive game because hes not ready to step into his role.

Prust is really interchangeable with haley as far as im concerned but Prust has proven he can actually put up points as well as bring a physical game and Snow needs to prove to Wang that he is not there just to fight otherwise no fighters actually see ice time.

The Barrett Jackman signing is really the most important one. Streit needs a defensively minded D partner to really get his game going. Streit has a terrible plus/minus stat because his game calls for him to jump into the play more so than any of our other defenseman and when that happens it leaves his partner by himself or with a foward and thats really where his terrible stat comes from. He isnt the greatest defender but he definitely is better than his stats show

I like Grossman because he has proved he can actually be an effective Dman in the NHL while playing with the flyers. He is a big body, space clearing Dman that could really help with the development of some of the younger D Prospects looking to crack the lineup as well as actually bring some physicality from someone other that Hamonic. I hate to use the Rags as an example but McDonagh was able to utilize his offensive abilities because he knows his partner Girardi is defensively sound and capable of making a play unlike streits partners this year Staois Jurcina and reese.

What does everyone else think?
I think you're living in a dream world.

Kelly will sign with a contending team.

Jackman will sign with a contending team.

Grossman will sign with a contending team.

We have a chance with David Jones.

We have a chance with Brandon Prust.

If all of Snow's decisions have to got through Wang first, do the free agent signings work the same way?

Old
04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
One more year on his deal actually.
Oh, thanks for the correction. With that in mind I think we need to go the trade route and get a top 4 defenseman like we did with Wisniewski 2 summers ago. But preferably a defenseman under 32, with at least 2 years remaining on a deal. I wonder what our 2013 2nd rounder would fetch?

Any interest in us trading for Chris Stewart in the offseason? Personally I think a team like Pittsburgh should get him.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Seanpuff34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I think you're living in a dream world.

Kelly will sign with a contending team.

Jackman will sign with a contending team.

Grossman will sign with a contending team.

We have a chance with David Jones.

We have a chance with Brandon Prust.

If all of Snow's decisions have to got through Wang first, do the free agent signings work the same way?
My question for you is that with these signings are we not a contending team?

It works both ways...I think that players can see that JT is a beast along with Moulson and that the talent is really here. I do admit the signings are in the realm of a "Dream World" but if you cant dream about a successful offseason than what do you have to look foward too?

I do believe the arena situation plays a factor in free agents signing here which makes me wish Wang would make some sort of commitment to Brooklyn or a Suffolk location because the time for that decision is rapidly approaching

I also believe that if he truly wants to renovate the area surrounding the coliseum that a decision has to be made by the start of the season next year because it would take around a year to finish the new building/renovating the area. So to put more pressure on Nassau County, being a big player in free agency would get more fans excited therefor generating more interest in keeping the Islanders in Nassau County from the Counties perspective.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:

It works both ways...I think that players can see that JT is a beast along with Moulson and that the talent is really here. I do admit the signings are in the realm of a "Dream World" but if you cant dream about a successful offseason than what do you have to look foward too?

I do believe the arena situation plays a factor in free agents signing here which makes me wish Wang would make some sort of commitment to Brooklyn or a Suffolk location because the time for that decision is rapidly approaching

I also believe that if he truly wants to renovate the area surrounding the coliseum that a decision has to be made by the start of the season next year because it would take around a year to finish the new building/renovating the area. So to put more pressure on Nassau County, being a big player in free agency would get more fans excited therefor generating more interest in keeping the Islanders in Nassau County from the Counties perspective.
If Snow can convince them that together they make this team a contender than God speed.

The arena factor plays a huge role in the signing of free agents because players don't want to sign in Long Island and end up in Quebec.

A new arena would mean most of the games played at the Rock, MSG, or Barclays Center.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:06 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

Great post and I totally agree with you... in theory. Spock would probably agree with you because it is logical. Unfortunately, Wang and Snow have demonstrated that they are not going to spend money until a decision is made. Their cap circumvention has been carefully crafted to utter genius levels because Wang wants to play it safe with his purse strings.

Next year's roster is going to look very similar to what is iced now IMO. Strome may be on the team next year and Nino will be here too. Add in the expected inflated cap contract of our 1st rounder this year, that's a lot of cap space with with little actual payout. They are steadfastly sticking to their plan.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
kasper11

Quote:
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($3.133m) / John Tavares ($5.500m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Joshua Bailey ($1.050m) / Frans Nielsen ($2.750m) / Kyle Okposo ($2.800m)
Michael Grabner ($3.000m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / David Jones ($3.000m)
Brandon Prust ($1.200m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.350m) / Matt Martin ($1.400m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Barret Jackman ($4.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($0.550m) / Travis Hamonic ($0.875m)
Calvin de Haan ($1.470m) / Nicklas Grossman ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.750m)
Kevin Poulin ($0.892m)
BUYOUTS
Alexei Yashin ($2.204m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,523,999; BONUSES: $862,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,776,001

I think Snow will go hard for Doan if he hits free agency only because he fits the snow profile. But not only can Doan still provide offensively, he can provide the leadership this team needs to go along with a gritty winger that JT can really use on the ice.

we all want a real number 2 center but I just dont see that happening but Chris Kelly should provide another defensively responsible center so that franz can be used more on the second line as well as the PP. I realize Franz isnt really an offensive machine but he is one of the best passers on the team and we all know how much they look for the perfect pass on the PP.

David Jones provides some size and scoring to the third line that will hopefully feature grabner and kelly. So really that line has speed and offensive scoring but will not be a complete defensive liability on the ice with kelly and the fact that grabner is a pretty good PK. Also i would rather sign jones than have ullstrum on the club because even though he has the size to play in the NHL there is no need to rush him and risk him loosing his offensive game because hes not ready to step into his role.

Prust is really interchangeable with haley as far as im concerned but Prust has proven he can actually put up points as well as bring a physical game and Snow needs to prove to Wang that he is not there just to fight otherwise no fighters actually see ice time.

The Barrett Jackman signing is really the most important one. Streit needs a defensively minded D partner to really get his game going. Streit has a terrible plus/minus stat because his game calls for him to jump into the play more so than any of our other defenseman and when that happens it leaves his partner by himself or with a foward and thats really where his terrible stat comes from. He isnt the greatest defender but he definitely is better than his stats show

I like Grossman because he has proved he can actually be an effective Dman in the NHL while playing with the flyers. He is a big body, space clearing Dman that could really help with the development of some of the younger D Prospects looking to crack the lineup as well as actually bring some physicality from someone other that Hamonic. I hate to use the Rags as an example but McDonagh was able to utilize his offensive abilities because he knows his partner Girardi is defensively sound and capable of making a play unlike streits partners this year Staois Jurcina and reese.

What does everyone else think?
Thought 1: Where is DP? No, I don't expect him to play, but you have to figure on his salary. Add him in, and you have Wang going into next year with an actual payroll of about $58M, probably double this year's. Not going to happen.

2: Doan is a pipedream. Out of all the free agents, do you really expect the Phoenix captain to go to another team with an uncertain future? I doubt we could pay him enough.

3: The Isles aren't going to be the only team going after Backman, a player that has never made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Now that St Louis is finally ready to compete, why would he leave to come here?

4: Prust and Haley are not alike. Prust not only can score at the NHL level, he kills penalties and doesn't take one every time he steps on the ice (Prust has 18 minors in 814 total minutes played. Haley has 5 minors in 80 minutes). Prust is what Haley fans wish Haley was.

5: I think players like Grossman and Jones (good but not great, first time UFA) we may have a shot with if we were willing to overpay. I would bet Grossman re-signs in Philly though before hitting the market.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Let's all pray that the League lowers the cap to around $40 million so that the actual point of the cap can still be relevant.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Seanpuff34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Thought 1: Where is DP? No, I don't expect him to play, but you have to figure on his salary. Add him in, and you have Wang going into next year with an actual payroll of about $58M, probably double this year's. Not going to happen.

2: Doan is a pipedream. Out of all the free agents, do you really expect the Phoenix captain to go to another team with an uncertain future? I doubt we could pay him enough.

3: The Isles aren't going to be the only team going after Backman, a player that has never made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Now that St Louis is finally ready to compete, why would he leave to come here?

4: Prust and Haley are not alike. Prust not only can score at the NHL level, he kills penalties and doesn't take one every time he steps on the ice (Prust has 18 minors in 814 total minutes played. Haley has 5 minors in 80 minutes). Prust is what Haley fans wish Haley was.

5: I think players like Grossman and Jones (good but not great, first time UFA) we may have a shot with if we were willing to overpay. I would bet Grossman re-signs in Philly though before hitting the market.
1:My mistake I forgot to put that in...He would be in bridgeport trying to get his game back so his cap hit wouldnt count against the cap.

4:I do admit that prust is better right now but with actual ice time who knows how haley could turn out. In bridgeport he does have 24 pts in 49 games.

3: St Louis has a lot of D prospects looking to crack the roster along with the RFA's coming up in the next few years so while I do not doubt St Louis will make him an offer I am just not sure if they can afford to pay him 4.5-5.5 million dollars

Old
04-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I'm telling you guys this is the plan. Sign Oduya to a 4 yr $4.0 million contract. Sign Sarich to a 1 yr $2.5 million contract. Sign Stoll to a 4 yr $3.5 million contract. Sign a 4th line plug.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
IsleNmetFan4Life

Would LA consider trading Dustin Brown? I know there were plenty of rumors at the deadline and he's signed for two more years. I think he'd be the perfect player to put on JT's right wing. Physical, 25-30 goal scorer, signed, 28 years old and obvious leadership ability since he's LA's captain. I never understood the rumors since LA can't score goals but if they wanted a shakeup this is a move we should jump on. I'd be fine with moving one of Grabner or Okposo plus a pick or prospect for him, especially if PA re-signs.

I think we could also make a deal for Cody Franson from Toronto. He has offensive upside and size that we're lacking. I believe he's an RFA and hasn't really gotten much of an opportunity in Toronto like he would here. I think we'd be able to deal one or two of our fringe prospects and/or a pick to get him.

As far as free agency goes, I'd like to re-sign Parenteau, but I don't think it'll happen. I want Haley re-signed also because not many players the past few years have put it all on the line and defended teammates for us like he has. Unlike other 4th line goons, he has some offensive capability, can kill penalties and can skate. I think with a full year in the NHL on a 1 way deal and proper coaching, he won't take stupid retaliatory penalties as often and will mature, as Martin has this year. I'd like Olli Jokinen as our 2nd line center and Bryan Allen on the blueline. I know there's a snowball's chance in hell that we end up making impact signings and trades like this but I think it would make us playoff contenders without a doubt.

Moulson-Tavares-Brown
Bailey-Jokinen-Petrov
Ullstrom-Nielsen-Okposo/Grabner (whichever doesn't get dealt for brown)
Haley-Cizikas-Martin

Hamonic-Mcdonald
Streit-Allen
Franson-Donovan/de Haan/Reese

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson

I think Strome will get his 9 game tryout at the beginning of the year, so figure he'll slot into one of the center positions with Cizikas starting the year in Bridgeport. Petrov appears NHL ready from what I've read. Plenty of depth at all positions in Bridgeport, a legitimate top 6 with a shutdown 3rd line and an energetic/physical 4th line. Added size on the blueline and plenty of potential. I didn't run the numbers but since Brown's cap hit is similar to Grabner and Okposo, signing Jokinen, Allen, and trading for Franson would only add about $10-$12 million to our payroll, which is money we have to spend anyway to get to the floor. Faceoffs might still be an issue but that can be worked on. Thoughts?

Old
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
leeroggy

I think its time to think through the offseason in depth and come up with my potential moves. Since the Islanders were a mixed bag this year, Ive decided to take a page from the Florida Panthers and come up with a short term approach and a long term approach. The short term approach is to get us through next year as an above .500 team and the long term is to win the Stanley Cup. When you look at the Panthers this year they combined these two goals pretty much perfectly. By loading up on mid-level veterans (no true stars were signed but look at the depth on the lines) the team was able to win their division while allowing a bumper crop of talented recent draftees to properly develop (unlike what we have done). Over time the kids will replace the veterans one by one as the team strives to win a cup.

We have a similar path to develop into if we are willing to set a goal of improving next year without going overboard on what we want to accomplish in the coming year. We play in a far more competitive division then Florida does and therefore our schedule is tougher. If we finish about 4 games below .500 this year an improvement to 4 games above .500 would be a fair target. That will put us just outside the last seed but on the right path.

In order to go this route we need to make decisions on what kids will play in the NHL and what kids are not. I am of the opinion that we will NOT sign P.A. because he will get too good an offer elsewhere then what we are prepared to pay. I also am willing to go against the grain and try to keep Nino up on the NHL roster, but want to see him get to Top 6 minutes next year as part of the development philosophy. If he cant handle that then by all means send him down but I think he needs to start in NY. I also believe that there is a decent chance that Ryan Strome starts the year in NY too to see if he can make the transition. In order to maximize the LONG TERM prospects of this team Matt Moulson needs to be separated from John Tavares. This arrangement has been MUCH BETTER for Moulson than JT and we need JT to be the engine that sparks Nino to become an NHL player.

Looking at the depth in our organization the glaring weakness is at Center and the first pick needs to fill that weakness. Given our late season slump we should have no problem being in position to draft either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. And one of those needs to be the pick. In the second round we can look at another defenseman. But the talent of either of the Gs CANT be passed over in what is likely to be a draft with major talent drop-off later in the first round. This might well be our last Top 10 pick for awhile and we cant skip over those two. It also sets us up to keep Nelson and Strome on the wings, where they have been most effective the last two years (forget moving them back to center, they are not fit for that duty in the NHL based on how they play).

In free agency, again assuming the likely inability to sign a high end free agent, we need to find niche players that both help us win more games while mentoring the kids and not clogging up the system when we have so many quality youngsters ready over the next three years.

I will start with a speculative potential lineup and talk about UFAs that might fit the need to get us to an 8-win improvement next year.

First Line:

Nino JT Strome

Yes, this is a bit of a reach but so what. Time to find out what Nino can do with top talent line mates.

Second Line
Moulson - ?? - ??

The need for a scoring second line has been around for too long

Third Line:

Okposo Nielsen Bailey

Where all three of these players belonged all along

Fourth Line:

Martin Cizikas - ??

Needs to be high energy, able to kill penalties and provide some toughness.

Defense Pairings

Streit - DeHaan

A-Mac Hamonic

?? - ??

I was thinking of allowing one of Donovan, Katic if signed and healthy or Ness to try for this but lets be conservative and give them another year to develop. DeHaan needs to get a chance and pairing him with Streit will take a lot of pressure off him.

Now, given the openings listed above (Goaltending will be Nabakov and whoever the team wants to serve as backup) Id like to propose some names to fit in:

2nd Line

Brad Boyes and David Jones I am not expecting a heck of a lot out of those two but if they can give 20 goals each and Moulson gets 25-30 that would be sufficient with the scoring the 3rd line will likely give you. I considered a one-year contract for Olli Jokinen but I doubt he will want to come back to NY. Another possibility might be Ray Whitney but I doubt he would sign here either. Jiri Hudler is an interesting target but will he sign here? At least Boyes and Jones need to find another place; they will not likely be as picky as some of the others.

4th Line:

The one name I would love to add here is Arron Asham. A perfect fit in the dressing room as well as on the ice. This line could give you 40 goals with him, a great benefit to this squad. I would also love to sign Steve McIntyre as the policeman in Bridgeport to protect our investments down there with the once in a blue moon call up when the need is warranted.

3rd Pair Defense

The names that pop out at me are Brad Allen, Nicklas Grossman and Shane OBrien. Competent, stay at home defensemen who can kill penalties and play physically. They would also make a veteran pairing for one of the kids if they are called upon. I see Reese as solely a depth player. On a good team he plays sparingly.

Going this direction allows most of the kids to develop properly.

And 3 years from now I can see the following team:

Nino JT Strome
Moulson (trade bait for a Top 4 D-Man) or Lee Galchenyuk Nelson
Okposo Nielsen Bailey
Martin Cizikas Asham

Streit DeHaan
A-Mac Hamonic
Mayfield Grossman/Trade Pick Up/Bridgeport Call Up

Nilsson Poulin

With plenty of talent in Bridgeport!

2015 The start of 4 more Cups??

Old
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I'm telling you guys this is the plan. Sign Oduya to a 4 yr $4.0 million contract. Sign Sarich to a 1 yr $2.5 million contract. Sign Stoll to a 4 yr $3.5 million contract. Sign a 4th line plug.
No Way! I like Stoll, but only for 2 years and more like $3M tops, he's coming off an awful year. Frankly, if we offered him that deal you proposed he wouldn't probably even blink. I highly doubt anyone would sign Stoll for 4 years.

Sarich would be feesable for a year at that cap hit.
I like Oduya but not sure if he's worth that much. I'd consider a front-loaded deal for him.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Tavares2Hall

Perfect Offseason

Draft Matthew Dumba. Insert him into the NHL lineup right away and give him 6 minutes of ice time a night.

The team really has to start doing a better job in free agency if it wants to be a playoff team next season. Sign Arnott, Gomez, and Langenbruner. They're all good fits because they're former Devils. Arnott and Langenbruner provide solid veteran leadership and are each 96 years old.

Let PA walk. We can't overpay him. Still, the Isles were smart to keep him for the playoff run. It wouldn't have made much sense to have traded him for a first round pick even though management keeps talking about building through the draft.

Finally, Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome make the team next year and join Nino on the 4th line. That would be a sick 4th line, but they shouldn't play more than 3 minutes a game.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2Hall View Post

Finally, Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome make the team next year and join Nino on the 4th line. That would be a sick 4th line, but they shouldn't play more than 3 minutes a game.
Nino's suffering through a wasted season,getting those 4th line nhl minutes.No way should we want to see other youngsters in this situation.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Isles Junkie

The team really needs 3 forwards. a 1st line LW & a 2nd line center. That puts the team at something like

Star - JT - PAP
Moulson - 2C - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - Ullstrom/Petrov
Prust* - Czikas - Martin

Then you reevaluate what Bailey, Okposo & Ullstrom have done and go from there.

but back to reality where we don't buy nice things.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Flameshomer

vCash: 50
Flames-Isles

Bouwmeester+ Flames 1st for Isles 1st.
What say you!

Old
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
BOSSY1126

i live in Calgary and sorry i wouldnt think of taking on his horrible contract that sutter gave him find another sucker lol

Old
04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Isles Junkie

I say that Jay Bouwmeester is the most overrated player in the NHL today.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Islander Prophet

what we really need is a top d-man...nothing else really IMO we're pretty much set everywhere else

Old
04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Hell no, I would give up a decent prospect and a 2nd for J-Bo, but definitely would not even consider giving up the chance to take one of Murray/Dumba.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Bouwmeester+ Flames 1st for Isles 1st.
What say you!
Doesn't he have a NTC/NMC?

I thought of the possibility of us trading for him.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Islander Prophet

I'd like to have Bouwmeester, but I think this is a little too much from the Isles... The jump from the Flames' pick to the Isle's is a little too steep for a good-but-overpriced player like Boom-Boom

Old
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The team really needs 3 forwards. a 1st line LW & a 2nd line center. That puts the team at something like

Star - JT - PAP
Moulson - 2C - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - Ullstrom/Petrov
Prust* - Czikas - Martin

Then you reevaluate what Bailey, Okposo & Ullstrom have done and go from there.

but back to reality where we don't buy nice things.
Pray we win the lottery, draft Yakupov. We would have 2 legit franchise pieces up front to build around.

Moulson-Tavares-Yakupov
Bailey-2C-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Parenteau
Martin-Reasoner-Ullstrom

I really think our best options for defense would be by trade. We should look at teams like Buffalo, Toronto, SJ, and Calgary to steal a couple nice defenseman off of.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

I don't want anything to do with Bouwmeester and that contract.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
BennyBST

Counter proposal:

Boumeester
Stajan (we eat his bad contract)
2nd rounder (for us taking stajan)

For

Grabner
Reasoner
4th