HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Baseball Thread: Late Game Heroics Edition

Old
02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
nivek
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
It'd be nice if he could actually stay healthy, even though I'm not a fan of the team it's good for the game. Have fun with Derek Lowe though
I would have rather given David Huff and Zach McAllister the fourth and fifth job after Masterson, Jimenez, and Tomlin (if/when Roberto Hernandez, aka Fausto Carmona ever returns, I am somewhat hoping the arrest means the Dolan's will void his contract).

Oh well. I guess Lowe can be OK at best. If he's that, I'm fine with him on the roster.

nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I'd expect Lowe to go 10-12 4.58 era 190 innings.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Almost time for ANOTHER season of Bautista tearing it up with as little recognition as possible from any baseball related media south of the border.

If he was on, say any other team in the league he'd be jammed down everyone's throats.
True. But think about this: If the Pirates have kept Bautista, they might actually get something done. (That said, I think this year they finally have a winning record.)

As for the Jays: Joey Bats might have another homer-hitting buddy in Lawrie. I REALLY like Brett's game and energy that he brings. Do NOT be surprised if Toronto's in the mix for at least the wild card this year. The Yanks' window might very well be slammed shut, the Red Sox had more drama than The Young and the Restless(or sub the name of your favorite continuing drama), the Rays do more with less, and the Orioles are...still...the Orioles.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
True. But think about this: If the Pirates have kept Bautista, they might actually get something done. (That said, I think this year they finally have a winning record.)

As for the Jays: Joey Bats might have another homer-hitting buddy in Lawrie. I REALLY like Brett's game and energy that he brings. Do NOT be surprised if Toronto's in the mix for at least the wild card this year. The Yanks' window might very well be slammed shut, the Red Sox had more drama than The Young and the Restless(or sub the name of your favorite continuing drama), the Rays do more with less, and the Orioles are...still...the Orioles.
How is the Yankees window shut? An offense consisting of Teixeira, Granderson, Cano, Arod, Martin, Jeter, Swisher, Gardiner up top and now Ibanez, with a rotation of CC, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Hughes, Garcia. The Killer B's are also both ready for some limited starts. That's a LOADED team. Still.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
OpethianSabre20

Solid attitude Mike...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...n-no-5-battle/

Quote:
“I feel like I proved myself,” he said. “I was in Triple-A all last year pretty much. The year before I had some time [in the majors]. I’m getting older every year, so there’s no reason for me to be sitting in Triple-A.”

“But after a month or two, somebody’s got to go [when Hudson returns],” Minor said. “Overall, it’s not really – it’s about making the team, but if … I can control my third pitch and have a decent fourth pitch, then there’s no reason I shouldn’t pitch in the big leagues somewhere. If they don’t have room for me here, then there’s no reason they shouldn’t trade me. Just do something with me."

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
How is the Yankees window shut? An offense consisting of Teixeira, Granderson, Cano, Arod, Martin, Jeter, Swisher, Gardiner up top and now Ibanez, with a rotation of CC, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Hughes, Garcia. The Killer B's are also both ready for some limited starts. That's a LOADED team. Still.
Agreed, as much as I hate them they'll be damn good. The Blue Jays chance is in 2013, they're clearly behind the Yanks, Sox and Rays this year. I really like the Rays chances this year.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Wow. He's probably going to be with the big club anyways but what a horrible attitude.

"Start me or you may as well trade me" from a kid who has a career ERA just south of 5 and has pitched in all of 120 innings? Would not fly on my team. I'd start him in the minors until he grew up a bit.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:15 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Sizemore injured w a strained back while fielding grounders. Out at least till opening day.

So it begins...

Old
02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This. That rotation is infinitely better than last year on opening day and much younger with Nova and Pineda included. Even with ARod and Jeter getting older, Cano and Granderson can still carry the offense for the next 10 years.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:05 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Chipper to call it quits after this season. One of my favorite players ever.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Afino
The Juice

In true Chipper fashion, he hurt his knee while stretching prior to the retirement press conference, and he'll start the year on the DL.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Really sad that Viz needed Tommy John. He was going to huge in the bullpen to give The Untouchables (O'Ventbrel) a rest once in a while. Could have been the right handed O'Flaherty in relief. Medlen is going to have a huge role now.

No surprise with Chipper, he just can't stay healthy; hopefully it goes as planned and he only misses the first week of the season and is back for the home opener.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Vito_81

I just have the say that I LOVE the new Baltimore hats! That logo is too cool

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Does anyone know if the fake jerseys from China are any decent?

Football ones are okay, I hate the hockey ones... Just wondering if anyone has a baseball one. If so, where did you get it from?

How does it look?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Does anyone know if the fake jerseys from China are any decent?

Football ones are okay, I hate the hockey ones... Just wondering if anyone has a baseball one. If so, where did you get it from?

How does it look?
Depends where you get it. I've got a Jones authentic spring training jersey from them and it's great.

I'll try to find the link.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
In true Chipper fashion, he hurt his knee while stretching prior to the retirement press conference, and he'll start the year on the DL.
I thought this was so unfortunate.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Depends where you get it. I've got a Jones authentic spring training jersey from them and it's great.

I'll try to find the link.
That'd be great.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Vito_81

Opening Day is almost here...Well technically it was last week in Japan.

But finally we have a game that counts Wednesday night with the Marlins and Cards.

And things really get going Thursday.

Go Jays Go!

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Holy overpayment Batman! He's good but that's ridiculous.

The San Francisco Giants have worked out a new contract for All-Star Matt Cain that will make him the highest-paid right-handed pitcher in baseball history.

Cain, who is set to earn about $15 million in the last year of his contract, will receive a five-year extension for a guaranteed $112.5 million,

Old
04-03-2012, 12:26 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

yeah the Cain contract is bad. He's going to be their 3rd best pitcher soon. Just ballparking it he's around the 20th best pitcher in baseball? 15 at best? Just terrible.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:41 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

And they'll have to give Lincecum more money than they gave Cain.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
And they'll have to give Lincecum more money than they gave Cain.
Definitely. That contract just made a ton of people a boatload of money. Grienke and Hamels first next offeseason and then every pitcher that is better than Cain further down the line.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
I understand the arguments for and against the deal. He's a workhorse--200+ innings in five straight seasons, and between 217 and 223 in the last four--and he's been incredibly consistent over the last three years (his numbers look like mirror images). I also think they feared losing him to LA in the offseason. The concern is that he's going to break down with all the mileage already on that arm. But if he stays healthy the Giants are going to be tough to beat in the playoffs (if they make it) with that top-3.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I understand the arguments for and against the deal. He's a workhorse--200+ innings in five straight seasons, and between 217 and 223 in the last four--and he's been incredibly consistent over the last three years (his numbers look like mirror images). I also think they feared losing him to LA in the offseason. The concern is that he's going to break down with all the mileage already on that arm. But if he stays healthy the Giants are going to be tough to beat in the playoffs (if they make it) with that top-3.
It could also bite them long term. I mean, what is Lincecum going to ask for now, 10/300? Bumgarner in a few years, who has undeniably more talent than Cain? I mean, good for the Giants if they are putting more money into the team but a team spending 118 million (last year's payroll) should not spend almost 20% on Matt Cain. Granted Zito's contract is up soon but their prospect pool is weakened by trades (like Wheeler for Beltran, fail) or the graduation of guys like Posey, Bumgarner and Belt. Like I said before, he's not a top 15 pitcher in the league and he's getting paid as more than that. The team has a downright embarrassing lineup which could use an infusion of talent. Then again, they had a terrible lineup when they won the WS 2 years ago with a bunch of randoms getting hot like Cody Ross so maybe they think they can do it again. They certainly have a rock-solid 1-2-3 punch. I see them finishing 2nd in the division behind the DBacks this year but wouldn't be surprised if they finished 1st or 3rd.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Just found out this morning that Cain is under .500 lifetime. For a guy that is 7 years into his career, making $22m per season he should be like .600+. Downright terrible. Even if he other numbers are well above average, wins are THE most important stat. I'd rather have a guy with a full run higher ERA who wins more games.