HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Getting a different backup instead of re-signing Biron

Old
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
kovazub94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
How about showing some respect for the team and for a backup who is a great teammate and won 12 games this season?

We're headed into the playoffs as the #1 seed. Is now really the time to be discussing who our backup will be next year?

Come on. Really tired of all these threads. The timing is just so wrong.
Agree 100%

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
NYR Viper

One of the most important aspects for a back-up goalie is how he handles the locker room and his teammates. Marty's teammates love him. He is a more than adequate back-up. Keep him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:46 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Every game I watch him he gives up soft goals. Unlike Lundqvist he doesn't seem to steal games to make up for that.

Usually backups, do let in softies here and there, hence why they are the backup...

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id take a look elsewhere, but come back to Biron if nothing seems like an upgrade. Character is important, but this team oozes character, and its not like we're signing Tim Thomas here... I dont like headcase goalies, i think Biron can be a bit of a headcase too. Id rather have a goalie who saves .910 game in and game out than one who saves .950 for 5 games then .870 for 5 games.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
fine with Biron. just think it's prudent that Sather only offers him 1 year contract. Gustavsson shows some promise. is he available? Clemmenson is another vet backup I'd consider but might as well just stick with Marty in that case. That would be a lateral move.

speaking of Marty, if we clinch #1 in the East, do you rest Lundqvist a game and play Marty or do you keep pushing for the President's trophy? What about if we somehow clinch the President's trophy before our last game vs Washington? There is also the franchise win/points record on the plate so that could be a positive motivational boost to keep playing Lundqvist. No back to backs. Not sure how many days rest we'll get before the playoffs start. I think anyway you look at it we go with Henke but it's an interesting situation to think about.
If/when we clinch, go with Marty most of rest of the way, rest Hank, play just enough to keep sharp, half a period here and there.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Only guys I'd pursue to replace Biron would be Vokoun or Nabokov. Anything else is kind of a downgrade.
Nabokov re-signed with the Islanders.

04-03-2012, 11:05 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'd stick with Marty, unless one of the homeless starters will sign cheap.
What do you think of Jason LaBarbera, former Ranger property now at Phx? His cap is higher, like 1.x m, if I remember. If he is an upgrade to Biron --- not sure he is or isn't given recent Marty cold spell presumed temporary --- maybe we can get Coyotes to PAY US to take him off their hands as a cap dump.

Not sure exactly what that payment would be, but it's creating an opportunity IF LaB has still got enough in the tank as a reserve.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
satrabyk

Take a Gamble with Gustavsson if hes cheap, if he cant go we prob have a guy in the minors who can fill the role.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If/when we clinch, go with Marty most of rest of the way, rest Hank, play just enough to keep sharp, half a period here and there.
They should rest a few guys like Hank for sure and maybe even Girardi and Cally. And play Stall and Dubi a little more getting them sharper for playoffs. Thats what i would do but i doubt they do it, i would leave the top line in the lineup because they need to keep developing their chemistry.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
I want Jonas Gustavsson.
I think he is better than he gets credit for. That team in Toronto is a disaster. I would imagine in front of a good defense he could be a solid goalie. He is also a fellow swede who could learn from Lundqvist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Gustavsson is a natural. World class skill.

His problems are all between the ears.
Allaire has completely destroyed the goaltenders in Toronto. Jonas would need to change his style in the offseason. He would have to be picked up fast.
The style he is taught to play and his natural strengths are just not compatible. This is what makes him a headcase. Guy is being taught to do something in net that is almost unnatural to him.
I think it would be interesting to team him up with Hank.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:42 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
big problem is when we play Caps; suppose 8th spot is up for grabs and we play Biron and lose and Buffalo is out. NYR have to be professional about this race; say we clinch 1st tonight I would play Biron v Pitt and Hank v Caps

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
big problem is when we play Caps; suppose 8th spot is up for grabs and we play Biron and lose and Buffalo is out. NYR have to be professional about this race; say we clinch 1st tonight I would play Biron v Pitt and Hank v Caps
they dont have to do anything. They can rest hank if they want.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
they dont have to do anything. They can rest hank if they want.
Obviously they can; let me take you back to last year Tampa v Carolina. Tampa had nothing to gain and they played all their regulars and won the game, guess who was the biggest benefactor of that game?

If 8th place is up for grabs and Caps V NYR is a factor, rest assured Torts will bring Hank and the boys full throttle; thats respect and professionalism and what I expect from NHL teams.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Vitto79

some of you guys are silly. Biron is a solid vet backup and great team guy........you resign him in a heartbeat for 2 more yrs. If they get a younger G great but he plays in CT

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Biron is fine.

Worst case scenario they bring up Chad Johnson. He would be fine as a backup as well.

As long as Lunqvist is playing we can all be fine backups.

I've soured on Biron. I'd like better. That doesn't mean better is available or practical under cap.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Biron is fine. He's skilled and a great team guy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
That game might be one nyr would choose to tank if they decide they don't want to play buffalo in the first round.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
RegalRangers

I'll tell you what, if Hank is injured and Biron has to play the last two games of the season and we end up winning the president's trophy anyway... THEN I won't hesitate to re-sign him. Otherwise I wouldn't mind re-signing him but I'd keep an eye on other options as well.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Skim through the thread only so I might be redundant here but, The thing with signing a solid back up is this: There are not a lot of solid back ups this summer and there are a lot of teams looking for goalies too. most important IMO, which solid back up is willing to be Henrik's Shadow? Those that are willing may not pan out. Biron was one of those and luckily, he worked out great and fits into this team seamlessly but it would be difficult to get a young, solid backup.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Biron is fine. He's skilled and a great team guy.

another reason to love the guy LMAO

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:56 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I'm not writing this because Martin Biron had a couple of poor games. I'm writing it because he'll be 35 before the start of the next season. A great goalie can still do a good job at this age, but for someone like Biron, there's a good chance he'll be slipping in the coming years.

I was thinking of getting a younger goalie like Josh Harding. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Lundqvist played another 4-5 games fewer over the course of the season. It would keep him fresh for the playoffs. With a younger, competent goalie like Harding, that could happen.
Harding,interesting but what would he cost? Im sure plenty of other teams will be interested in team as well.

What other goalies are out there and available?

id love Scott Clemmenson backing up Henke.

For me,Birons downfall made him a no signing..sorry but once i get that feeling if your in net we are loing,thats it,no turning back man for me.He is getting older..

Im not one to quit on someone,but yeah maybe make a move for a younger backup. I do like Biron,think hes a great locker room guy,but im not coonfident woith him in net,at all.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
thepoeticgoblin

I'd love to see Gus in NYR, but that's based on personal opinion. Biron is definitely "good enough" for me but I'd prefer Gustavsson just because he's such a raw talent, will never happen though.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
They should rest a few guys like Hank for sure and maybe even Girardi and Cally. And play Stall and Dubi a little more getting them sharper for playoffs. Thats what i would do but i doubt they do it, i would leave the top line in the lineup because they need to keep developing their chemistry.
Tort's style very physically demanding. This is a young team, but we are thin on depth this year.
Now that we clinched, I don't say we chuck everything with a complete tank for 2 games.
But the guys who logged the most time deserve a rest and those injured should heal.

That would best set us up for the playoffs, and that is higher priority IMO over trying for more chemistry, particularly at this late juncture.

Would try to get more rust off Staal, as many as he can handle without overloading.
Girardi send home for 3 days and just skating only practice of season ender.
Callahan reduced shifts (his injured foot)
Anisimov if shoulder ok then can = same shifts or a little more,
The rest of the regulars rest about 20% for both games.
Give more time to Stralman/Eminger/Wovwitka at D
Give more time to Bickel/Scott at F

Old
04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

in 10 of Birons 21 games played he's given up 3 or more goals.

Henrik has done that 20 times in 61 GP.

Both goalies have given up 4 or more 5 times...Henrik in 61 games, Biron in 21 games.

Id definitely look elsewhere to see if an upgrade can be had...if not, id sign Biron, but it wouldnt be a foregone conclusion if im the GM.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote