HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One thing I like about the Olympics

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
One thing I like about the Olympics

is the larger ice surface. I think it makes for a better game.

Old
02-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Choice

Disagree. The puck seems to wind up in those corners and along the boards a lot more, and it kills the plays. Makes it easier for teams to trap.

Old
02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones

I remember last Olympics when they were over how small the NHL size rinks looked to me. I do enjoy the bigger ice as guys can really get up a head of steam. I would love to get the bigger ice in the NHL but it would never happen as the teams would lose money by doing that.

Old
02-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Kluivert4Ever

I hate the ice-surface, hate the format, hate the tournament

There end of rant.

Old
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
I hate the ice-surface, hate the format, hate the tournament

There end of rant.
Well I'm not crazy about the tournament Kluivert but I'm one of those who see the Cup as being pretty much the be-all and endall. All those years of rooting for the Rangers and getting nowhere may have made me a little bit myopic. I do like the extra room and I think it lends itself to a more skilled game. There is quite a bit of trapping. Also when you dump it back in the corners the puck has to be chased down first before another play can be made and that gives the defense a lot of time to reset. Listening to the Finnish-Russian game I think JD did the color--he mentioned how the Finns ice surface was larger than ours but not quite as large as the Olympic size. Maybe that kind of compromise would be better.

Old
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
The NHL is never going to get bigger ice.

Bigger Ice = less seats to sell and less $$$ because of the space it takes up.

Old
02-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Choice

re-configuring the arenas would be a nightmare

Old
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I thought that too once. Especially after the SLC games in 2002. But after this Olympics, and watching the 1st half of the "new" NHL season, I no longer hold the same sentiment. I now like the game that's played on the smaller ice surface. I like the "closeness" and "tightness" and more physicallity of the NHL rink.

Old
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Riddick

i dont think it would be THAT hard to re-configure the NHL surfaces to international levels, but the thing i noticed is that in the olympics, the teams play like they would in the NHL but on larger ice. Like the guy above me stated, the 'new' NHL has a lot of closeness and movement allowing the play to run a bit faster. It would be amazing to watch the 'new' NHL on Olympic ice; itd be end to end all game virtually.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52
The NHL is never going to get bigger ice.

Bigger Ice = less seats to sell and less $$$ because of the space it takes up.
I'm not for or against the idea of bigger ice in the nhl, but that reasoning is not exactly true, atleast for the future and what they could do with that idea. Over the course of the next 25-30 years every team will probably build a new arena, move or go through an extensive renovation etc. So why not everytime a new arena comes about, they construct the whole thing with a bigger ice surface. Will be no different than baseball stadiums having different dimensions. You can build a 19,000 seat arena with a bigger ice surface, but you can not make the ice bigger in an exsisting arena without losing seats though. By the time 2030 or something comes up, everyone will be on bigger ice, and nobody will lose a thing from it. I know it's a silly idea because of how long it will take, but why not. Strategy can come into play also, you can build your team around having the bigger ice surface etc. Just a thought.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm surprised by how much I disliked the larger ice.

02-26-2006, 04:38 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm surprised by how much I disliked the larger ice.

Me too. I was expecting that with more space we would see a lot of end to end, wide open hockey. Instead what I saw was a lot of systems play. It felt like I was watching the ducks/devils stanley cup series of 03. This was despite the fact that NHL obstruction standards where being enforced.

I think Ray Ferraro made a good point today (during one of the intermissions) about how the lack of space in NHL rinks, coupled with the reduction in obstruction, actually speeds up the game (he called it a "read and react game".) The play is just too fast to run a suffocating trap. You can still do it, but I haven’t seen any team this year do it as efficiently as the Finns did during this tournament.

I wouldn't call olympic hockey "bad hockey", I rather enjoyed the tournament, but I much prefer the NHL game (and the NHL ice surface.)

Old
02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
shoothepuck

One thing I like about the Olympics is there Over

Old
02-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I don't like the larger ice surface, and if you didn't like it with the world's elite on it, you're really not going to like it with some of the leagues poorer skaters out there.

Like Radek27 said, I think we're all going to be shocked at how small the ice seems on Tuesday.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:57 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
It would be amazing to watch the 'new' NHL on Olympic ice; itd be end to end all game virtually.

That's what you've been watching. The officials where calling obstruction acording to the NHL standard (and if you need proof, just look at how many hooking and holding calls there where today.)

In the 'old' NHL obstruction faciliated the trap because it slowed the game down enough for it to be effective. On the bigger ice surface the game is already slowed down because everything takes alittle bit longer to happen. You don't need obstruction to slow the game down for the trap to be effective (I guess there's a season why the system orgionated in Europe.)

Old
02-26-2006, 05:34 PM
jcpenny

I like to compare the NHL rink to the NFL field and the Olympic rink to a CFL field. In the NHL and NFL, players need to to be quick-Big-Fast, bigger hits, more excitement and you can feel the game. CFL fields and olympic rinks offer space but does not translate to more excitement. In the oympic rink you cant really play an in your face kind of game cuz you'll yourself out of position so thats why European hockey is less physical. They are not soft, it just that hitting is not necessary to be effective.

I used to like to big surface but now i hate it cuz it promotes the trap and a more patient game. NHL is way more exciting. I remember wtching some European games during the lockout and they were quite boring.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
StealingSociety

It's funny last olympics before the "New NHL", everyone loved the larger ice surface, it was virtually unanimous.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:42 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingSociety
It's funny last olympics before the "New NHL", everyone loved the larger ice surface, it was virtually unanimous.
Well, that was because the on ice product in the NHL circa 2002 was so awful. Many people, myself included, thought that big ice would meen more offense. As stated above, I now think differantly.

I will say that I much preffer the international brand of hockey to that which we where seeing prior to the lockout (playoffs excluded.)

Old
02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
eco's bones

One thing to keep in mind and it works to the disadvantage of North American teams is that the Europeans teams have incorporated those defensive systems of theirs onto the larger ice surface. They grow up on them. The Canadian and American teams not only have to adjust to the larger surface but having not often played on such a venue they come across as disorganized. It goes with this kind of tournament. The old US and Canadian National teams used to play together as a team all year barnstorming all over the place but they use to look for facilities with the larger surface.

Closed Thread