HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#80 KINGS vs. OILERS, 4/2/12 ... Thoughts & Tidbits = WE WIN, still in 3rd !!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-03-2012, 11:14 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

vCash: 500
It was a good game though...but being sick took all the fun out of it...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the win. You guys needed the points far more than we did and played that way.

Your team is my bandwagon pick so I am really hoping this is the year the Kings win it all. But can you please give the C to somebody else before then? The first LA player to lift the cup shouldn't be one of the worst divers in the league.

Again best of luck in the post season. Oh and who are you guys hoping to face?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Fan Appreciation Night is gonna be spectacular.
Yup! A win on Fan appreciation night would win us the division barring a single phoenix loss as well as any loss by Dallas.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Congrats on the win. You guys needed the points far more than we did and played that way.

Your team is my bandwagon pick so I am really hoping this is the year the Kings win it all. But can you please give the C to somebody else before then? The first LA player to lift the cup shouldn't be one of the worst divers in the league.

Brown is one of the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. He hasn't been that obvious (drawing 3 in one game) for some time. I am fine with Brown being the first King to ever lift the Stanley Cup.

I think the Kings match up best against Chicago in the 1st round, then Vancouver.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Remember when Oilers fans thought they "won" the Smyth trade?

Aahhhhhh good times.
remember when the Oilers thought they had a good team because they had a good 10 games to start the year, and they thought Khabibulin would maintain his crazy numbers

ahhhhh good times

Quote:

Im happy with the guy who has been captain for many years, left millions of dollars on the table to take a discount to help the team, and does more for the community than any other player lifting the cup first

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Brown is one of the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. He hasn't been that obvious (drawing 3 in one game) for some time. I am fine with Brown being the first King to ever lift the Stanley Cup.

I think the Kings match up best against Chicago in the 1st round, then Vancouver.
Really? This response surprises me. Ok, well I do consider Brown diving slime that you should trade away for Nash in the offseason. So if you do win it all, I will just close my eyes when he takes it and pretend the next guy was the first player to lift it.

And I agree on the Chicago call, but am not sure about Vancouver. I think you'd do better against Vancouver in the 2nd or 3rd round after they've been softened up a bit. The teams I don't want you to play are Nashville or St. Louis. They can match you guys on the backend and in net and while you have better offensive weapons up front on paper, theirs have been more effective this season.

Good luck and Go Kings Go!! except for Brown

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
ziggyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Mike Richards with another pretty good game. Effort was there all game trying to make things happens, nice assist, and 13/17 faceoffs won.

Kopitar is creating all sorts of space out there and opening up chances for his teammates. He is wreaking literal havoc. I don't care if he's not scoring the last few games, his control and poise has been top notch, and he's racking up the helpers.

+100

ziggyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Really? This response surprises me. Ok, well I do consider Brown diving slime that you should trade away for Nash in the offseason. So if you do win it all, I will just close my eyes when he takes it and pretend the next guy was the first player to lift it.

And I agree on the Chicago call, but am not sure about Vancouver. I think you'd do better against Vancouver in the 2nd or 3rd round after they've been softened up a bit. The teams I don't want you to play are Nashville or St. Louis. They can match you guys on the backend and in net and while you have better offensive weapons up front on paper, theirs have been more effective this season.

Brown is one of those players that you hate when he's not on your team. If he was playing for the Oilers you'd probably feel differently about him.

He hits, scores 20 goals, draws penalties, works his ass off, is good in the community, and almost never misses a game. All for a cap hit of just 3.1M

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Vic Vinegar

Brown has been playing the best hockey I've ever seen from him down the stretch. I can't believe people were calling him the worst captain in the league. The sad thing is, the same people will do the same thing next year.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
Brown has been playing the best hockey I've ever seen from him down the stretch. I can't believe people were calling him the worst captain in the league. The sad thing is, the same people will do the same thing next year.
I agree. He was a one man wrecking crew on that one shift in Edmonton the other night. He pretty made sure that the Oilers defensemen wanted nothing to do with handling the puck in their own zone.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Funny thing about Brown being accused of being this blatant diver... you never see him get called for a diving penalty. Now Doughty has been caught by the refs a few times, but I guess Brown has to be the best if the refs never call him on it.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
Give some credit to management for that, they lit a fire under his ass. He was close to being shipped out.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Funny thing about Brown being accused of being this blatant diver... you never see him get called for a diving penalty. Now Doughty has been caught by the refs a few times, but I guess Brown has to be the best if the refs never call him on it.
Brown has that "good guy" image. I think that's why he gets the calls.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Brown has that "good guy" image. I think that's why he gets the calls.
That and the effort is always there. Works hard every shift. Those guys are always going to get the benefit of the doubt. (the diving post-Sutter has been absent from his game... Not sure how coincidental that is or not).

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
KingsKnight
L.A. Kriminals

Quote:

Calling Brown "one of the worst divers in the league" and "diving slime" isn't going to win you many friends here, even including those on here who don't like Brown. So I'm not sure why you're surprised by the response. He may not be the best captain, but he's doing his job well for the Kings, and he plays hard night in and night out. Not much more you can ask of a guy who is here on a home town discount.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
YP44

Quote:
I saw the post game interview with Renney. Do the coaches of Canadian teams and the media that report on them ever think that the better team won the game? Is it always the officiating?
Really you're going to rag on Canada based on that? Give your head a shake.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Brown is one of those players that you hate when he's not on your team. If he was playing for the Oilers you'd probably feel differently about him.

He hits, scores 20 goals, draws penalties, works his ass off, is good in the community, and almost never misses a game. All for a cap hit of just 3.1M
This. Brown is very much in the mold of Steve Ott, or Cal Clutterbuck as being guys you HATE unless they are on your team. Heck I've admitted to a friend of mine (a Wings fan) that the only reason I hate the Wings is because they are as good as they are. I've also never gotten the Brown is a diver comments as he's a guy that is almost always near the top of the league in hits, he draws so many penalties because he puts himself in position for guys to take retaliation penalties against him... Brown hits some one, they slash/hook/shove him and take a penalty, it's that simple. Also if Brown was a diver he'd get called on it a lot more often than he does I'd think since he'd have that rep among the league's refs.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I have been a huge Brown fan for many years and still am one. He does tend to go down pretty easy. I hope that Doughty and Brown do not give the kings the diving image as it will stay with us for years to come. One of the main reason I hate the canucks is because they go down so softly. I hope that Brown and Doughty do not make a hypocrit out of me.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
This. Brown is very much in the mold of Steve Ott, or Cal Clutterbuck as being guys you HATE unless they are on your team. Heck I've admitted to a friend of mine (a Wings fan) that the only reason I hate the Wings is because they are as good as they are. I've also never gotten the Brown is a diver comments as he's a guy that is almost always near the top of the league in hits, he draws so many penalties because he puts himself in position for guys to take retaliation penalties against him... Brown hits some one, they slash/hook/shove him and take a penalty, it's that simple. Also if Brown was a diver he'd get called on it a lot more often than he does I'd think since he'd have that rep among the league's refs.
I agree he puts himself in the postion to take retaliatory penalties, but when the other players do retaliate he does tend to go down pretty easily. As noted in a previsou post I am huge Brown fan.
For what we are paying him I htink he gives us more bang for our buck than any other player not named Quick. I haev no issues with him being the first ever king to hoist the cup, and I hope we get to see it.
Go Kings Go.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I agree. He was a one man wrecking crew on that one shift in Edmonton the other night. He pretty made sure that the Oilers defensemen wanted nothing to do with handling the puck in their own zone.
This. And he led the way as the Kings collectively made RNH a nonfactor by scaring the pants off him.

Eberle is a freaking stud though. I never thought he would be a bust, but I figured he'd top out at 60ish points. Kid just gets it done. I'd love to see him in the playoffs.

And I don't know why, but Dubnyk always seems to get up for us. I never read good things about him from Oilers fans or anyone that plays them, but jeez, the guy knows how to work against the Kings.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I said last year that A-Mart was the best kings defenceman at recognizing when there is a chance at an odd man rush and being quick enough to join the play as the trailing 3rd man or driving the net to create space and that play in the 1st yesterday just sums it up beautifully. 2 on 1 for the Oilers, not only does he break it up with the poke check, but he immediately sees a chance for an odd man rush the other way and gets a great chance on the 3 on 2 as the trailer. He's so good at it

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Someone should make a vid of all the times Brown falls down on his own. His diving rep is really overblown, yeah he embellishes, but the guy has enough problems staying on his skates when he isn't getting tripped.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This. And he led the way as the Kings collectively made RNH a nonfactor by scaring the pants off him.

Eberle is a freaking stud though. I never thought he would be a bust, but I figured he'd top out at 60ish points. Kid just gets it done. I'd love to see him in the playoffs.

And I don't know why, but Dubnyk always seems to get up for us. I never read good things about him from Oilers fans or anyone that plays them, but jeez, the guy knows how to work against the Kings.
Sadly I have to admit I thought Eberle was going to be one of those guys who has a tremendous junior career but cannot translate to top line success in the NHL. Man was I wrong. Makes me want to go out and get one of those Green Team Canada Jerseys with his name on it. Kid is amazing.

Last edited by YP44: 04-03-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typing error
Old
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Someone should make a vid of all the times Brown falls down on his own. His diving rep is really overblown, yeah he embellishes, but the guy has enough problems staying on his skates when he isn't getting tripped.
haha, guess that is a good take on it.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

I want Bob to be the first one. dress him up.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote