HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black asks for fewer back-to-back games

Old
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Ted Black asks for fewer back-to-back games

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle793002.ece

Quote:
Sabres President Ted Black said the team had discussions with the NHL during presidents meetings two weeks ago in Las Vegas about next season's schedule, specifically on reducing the number of back-to-back sets of games the club has dealt with.
Quote:
"That was a failure on my part not to get that down," Black said. "We have reinforced it repeatedly that we're basically willing to play any day of the week. The main goal has to be to get the back-to-backs down. The consequence will be probably having fewer Friday night games."
Quote:
"When you win, you think it's great because you have more days to practice," he said. "When you win, back-to-backs are no problem. When you lose, they're a big problem. I just think we would like to be around the league average."

Black said the Sabres are also looking for more balance in the schedule. They had just three home games in January, for instance, and finished the slate with seven of 11 on the road.
About time, Mr President Big Daddy Ted.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
LGB24

Finally. I may be very wrong on this but I heard past ownership wanted back to backs on friday and saturday to improve viewing audience? Anyone else hear that?

LGB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Finally. I may be very wrong on this but I heard past ownership wanted back to backs on friday and saturday to improve viewing audience? Anyone else hear that?
Viewing and they charged more, iirc.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:48 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Viewing and they charged more, iirc.
shh...You weren't supposed to notice that...

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Good for the team, bad for ticket sales. Supposedly it wasn't viewing audiences but for the ticket buyers/game goers. I'm fully in favor of doing what is best for the team.

IIRC this was Larry Quinn's doing in the first place.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They have a bigger draw on Fridays than weekday games. That was why LQ asked them for more of those instead of Thursday-Saturday. It was about maximizing ticket revenue.

04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
This rumor has circulated for years. I've yet to see a credible source showing that previous ownership did in fact ask for this.

I wouldn't put it past LQ and friends to do something like this, but I'm not willing to just assume that it's true.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
punkr0x

I have no doubt that LQ would want to maximize ticket revenue, but I find it hard to believe that the NHL would actually bend our schedule to his demands that much. Especially considering that Larry was no longer a managing partner by the time the 2011-12 schedule came out. Unless he had already made the request to the NHL and just didn't bother to tell anyone in the new ownership group? It's a little disturbing to me that teams would be able to make scheduling requests like this, it would give a huge competitive advantage to teams who don't need the Friday/Saturday revenue.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Zip15

Black supposedly did this last year, but I guess they either didn't listen to him or he wasn't fervent enough to get their attention. Good on him for making the request a second time.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
This rumor has circulated for years. I've yet to see a credible source showing that previous ownership did in fact ask for this.

I wouldn't put it past LQ and friends to do something like this, but I'm not willing to just assume that it's true.
Not a rumor. LQ did say they requested more home dates as a way to guarantee higher gate draw.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
fing0rz

I'm split on this. Going to a weekend game is so much more enjoyable then a weekday game.

But looking at the back end of the back to back, that might be a big reason for missing the playoffs.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not a rumor. LQ did say they requested more home dates as a way to guarantee higher gate draw.
He's also said they found "consumption" was highest on Fridays. He didn't elaborate on that, but I assume he was referring to drink sales. I'm sure the beer has the best profit ratio in the place. They weren't shy about admitting they were trying to make a buck.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Well, it's in line with the "Our sole existence is to win the cup" mantra that Pegula has stated since day one. They've been backing up the talk since then. This is just another part in the long list to make this team a winner. It's rather nice to have ownership thinking winning first ticket sales second. As for why this wasn't done sooner. I just get the feeling Ted Black was busy with a billion other things and the game dates request was a down on his list. I also think he didn't realize that Larry Quinn "prime venue dates" requests were hurting the team as much as they were until after they received the schedule this year.

I mean it wouldn't bee too much of a change. Just a couple more Thursday games and maybe a few more Sunday ones as well. Doing that would knock off four or five back to back games.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He's also said they found "consumption" was highest on Fridays. He didn't elaborate on that, but I assume he was referring to drink sales. I'm sure the beer has the best profit ratio in the place. They weren't shy about admitting they were trying to make a buck.
The mandate was to make the team at least a break-even entity. No harm in doing what they could to make that happen. Maximizing ticket sales and concessions are part and parcel to that.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Fair enough. I didn't recall ever hearing/reading that quote. But I trust ya.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Kyndig86

Having so many back to back games obviously hurt the team we had 21, some other teams around the league only had 10

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Zip15

Quote:
The mandate was to make the team at least a break-even entity. No harm in doing what they could to make that happen. Maximizing ticket sales and concessions are part and parcel to that.
No argument from me. Sadly, though, looking at the numbers of teams playing the second of a back-to-back and doing so on the road, it also hurt their competitive position.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

IMO, all teams should have the same amount of b2b games if possible....If not it should be within reason....something like =/- 3 within 10 b2b games....No way someone should have 11 more b2b games than another team......that's ridiculous.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
kevrochucky

If there is a partial season next year, it might be hard for any team to get around it...

kevrochucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

imagine what an few points due to reduction in back to backs would've done this year....

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

About damn time.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahBoy View Post
About damn time.
Yeah but I thought he tried this last offseason. Hopefully he will be more adamant this time around and it'll work. No secret that the backtobacks came because old ownership wanted weekend games. Obvious. LQ said as much.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
sabresfan129103

wow this is great news. As long as the team is decent they will sell out no matter what day of the week they play.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
They certainly made it clear when they hired this guy to do scouting.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
barcs

Personally, I'd like to see some Sunday matinee games... after football season of course.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote