HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has been the best Rangers Rookie?

View Poll Results: Who had the best Ranger rookie season?
Carl Hagelin 40 41.67%
Derek Stepan 25 26.04%
Michael Del Zotto 31 32.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Slenke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
You need to be a member for a certain amount of time
K thanks!

Slenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
satrabyk

I dont think there is any question that it is Hagelin. I dont know how he will play in the playoffs but i think he will only pick it up. He has made that first line work that is so improtant right now, with his speed, and ability to go in the corners and come out with the puck, he allows Richards and Gaborik to spring him with passes and has been pretty solid Defensively. DZ had a good rookie season but aside from points he didnt bring that much that year. Hes looking the best ive seen him this past few weeks in terms of DZ. Stepan was good but really declined in the second half and has also looked better recently this season. If he takes a page out of Callys book he can be really successfull.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
gotta go with Steps. i know right now Hags is playing better this season but Stepan is just a player you want because he will consistently post 50+ points a season. i don't think Hagelin will. Although i hope i'm wrong.
How they will do in the future has no effect on the poll, the vote is "Who HAD the best rookie campaign?"

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Does a new Rangers rookie have a shot at outdoing your top pick? Can McIlrath, Erixon or Kreider best them? How about a surprise from JAM, Thomas, or Fasth?
Why would you care Hagelin has been amazing so far i hope Krieder can beat him but it will be tough. Its not easy to come into the league be effective so quickly, although more guys seem to be doing it.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Voted Hagelin, but this is what I was thinking. Dubi fought his way up from being the fourth line center to playing with Jaromir Jagr. He had a very Callahan-like rookie year, where it seemed like he made an impact every time he hit the ice. Renney was not someone who was eager to play kids over vets, but Dubi managed to steal ice time from Gomez and Drury for large chunks of the season.

Tough call between Hags and MDZ, but I went with Hags for being more consistent all-around.
Ya Dubi but that was more because Jagr couldint play with Drury or Gomez and im sure he let Renney kno who he wanted to play with, he does that. I dont blame him either.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Ya Dubi but that was more because Jagr couldint play with Drury or Gomez and im sure he let Renney kno who he wanted to play with, he does that. I dont blame him either.
I thought about going back more years but figured I'd cap at just 3 three in the last 3 years being they seem so close and all very good.

With Dubi I don't know if I give him a lot for outdoing Gomez and Drury, because I don't know how tough it was. Then I also felt he got a lot out of playing with Jagr. IMO Dubi's game was a lot of, where is Jagr, send him the puck, cash in on an assist. Much like Petr Prucha, Jagr had an impact on Dubinsky. To the contrary, Gomez thought he was still good enough to control the play, but he wasn't so he didn't meld with Jagr. Drury is more of a shoot the puck someone else create the play kind of guy and that didn't meld well with Jagr who was also looking to shoot the puck.

Quote:
Why would you care Hagelin has been amazing so far i hope Krieder can beat him but it will be tough. Its not easy to come into the league be effective so quickly, although more guys seem to be doing it.
No doubt Krieder is the front runner, IMO. I care because this team has been built from within and having stellar rookies year after year helps build dynasties! I don't want the Rangers to be good for a year, then go back to mediocrity. I want them to be among the best teams in the league for a long time.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
I thought about going back more years but figured I'd cap at just 3 three in the last 3 years being they seem so close and all very good.

With Dubi I don't know if I give him a lot for outdoing Gomez and Drury, because I don't know how tough it was. Then I also felt he got a lot out of playing with Jagr. IMO Dubi's game was a lot of, where is Jagr, send him the puck, cash in on an assist. Much like Petr Prucha, Jagr had an impact on Dubinsky. To the contrary, Gomez thought he was still good enough to control the play, but he wasn't so he didn't meld with Jagr. Drury is more of a shoot the puck someone else create the play kind of guy and that didn't meld well with Jagr who was also looking to shoot the puck.

No doubt Krieder is the front runner, IMO. I care because this team has been built from within and having stellar rookies year after year helps build dynasties! I don't want the Rangers to be good for a year, then go back to mediocrity. I want them to be among the best teams in the league for a long time.
I agree its great if every year a new rookie comes in and plays or is more effective than the last. That shapes out for a pretty solid team. I just mean i feel like you are listing guys that will be better by undermining how effective Hagelin has been this season. I dont think he is getting the credit he should. Future wise i dont know how much better he can get or if he will get worse but this year as rookie it would be tough to beat and to beat him you would have to be in the mix for rookie of the NHL because he is not that far off this season. With Dubi i knew he was good immediately he just created things when he was on the ice more than Gomez or Drury, and i would attribute a lot of that too Jagr who creates space for anyone, but to call Jagr a guy who want to shoot is not really accurate he just wants to play puck possession and neither Drury or Gomez play that game, because there not strong enough and just dont play that style.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I agree its great if every year a new rookie comes in and plays or is more effective than the last. That shapes out for a pretty solid team. I just mean i feel like you are listing guys that will be better by undermining how effective Hagelin has been this season. I dont think he is getting the credit he should. Future wise i dont know how much better he can get or if he will get worse but this year as rookie it would be tough to beat and to beat him you would have to be in the mix for rookie of the NHL because he is not that far off this season. With Dubi i knew he was good immediately he just created things when he was on the ice more than Gomez or Drury, and i would attribute a lot of that too Jagr who creates space for anyone, but to call Jagr a guy who want to shoot is not really accurate he just wants to play puck possession and neither Drury or Gomez play that game, because there not strong enough and just dont play that style.
IMO all three of the poll options have been just outside the realm of RotY. I don't believe I've undermined Hagelin's or any of these players rookie season by asking if someone will top them. Are we undermining the importance of Stepan or Del Zotto's rookie campaign if we say Hagelin had the best rookie campaign? I would say "no" we're just stating he had a better year.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Hagelin.
But it's hard to imagine a more memorable debut game than Stepan's, with a hattrick and the tv cameras zooming in on his mother and sister in the stands once a minute

Pic stolen from somewhere

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
IMO all three of the poll options have been just outside the realm of RotY. I don't believe I've undermined Hagelin's or any of these players rookie season by asking if someone will top them. Are we undermining the importance of Stepan or Del Zotto's rookie campaign if we say Hagelin had the best rookie campaign? I would say "no" we're just stating he had a better year.
Yes but there is a difference those 3 players already played, while you are giving a list of players that have not stepped foot in a Game in the league and predicting that they will be better, which btw wasent even part of the question so it like you gave the option Other. I just dont see why with how good Hags has played this season. Its not a big deal it more that i think Hagelin should be recognized for how good hes been so far.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Tough to say between MDZ and Hags for me.

Steps hit a reaaallll cold streak in his rookie year somewhere. Like 9darter says though, his first game is definitely the most memorable.

Hags has been fantastic and is on a 50 point pace over 82 games. However, I can't discount a 20 year old d-man putting up ~40 points. He and Gaborik were our offense that year, on a pretty subpar team. Hags has the benefit of playing with Brad Richards, too.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Tough to say between MDZ and Hags for me.

Steps hit a reaaallll cold streak in his rookie year somewhere. Like 9darter says though, his first game is definitely the most memorable.

Hags has been fantastic and is on a 50 point pace over 82 games. However, I can't discount a 20 year old d-man putting up ~40 points. He and Gaborik were our offense that year, on a pretty subpar team. Hags has the benefit of playing with Brad Richards, too.
True Steps hit a cold streak, but on the other hand, Hags took nearly 1/4 of the season in the minors in order to be warm enough to play in the NHL, Stepan did it straight out of camp. If Stepan went down to the minors for 17 games during his cold streak and put up .75ppg while he was down there, does that make his season better?

IMO, it's a tough call between all 3, hence my post/poll. I'm inclined to say DZ because it's just simply a harder position to play and he did it at as a teenager. There hasn't been a Ranger rookie teenager since, at any position.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:53 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

DZ had the best rookie season, instantly took over point on PP, his breakout passes took the league by surprise. One of the main reasons Gabby had a great first season.
Stepan had the hattrick in his 1st game but had long stretch without a goal.
Hags has played really well with gabby and rich but still give slight edge to del zotto.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Hagelin for me. Del Zotto had too many flaws in his game, even in his successful rookie year, to put him over Hagelin. Stepan looked great out there last year too. The difference is that Hagelin has been (at least until this last stretch) a spark on every line he's been moved to. He makes his line better.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
OverTheCap

I think Del Zotto impressed me the most. To put up almost 40 points as a rookie defensemen, that's something I haven't seen on the Rangers in awhile. And he was only 19 at the time.

Of the players not listed in the poll, I think Girardi's rookie year was very impressive and unexpected. He was called up in January 2007 and played in a top 4 role almost immediately. His defense was steady and solid and he looked like a veteran out there, I think that may have been his best season defensively until this year. And it's not like he was a highly touted prospect like Staal or McDonagh, he was undrafted.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

I have to say Hags, his speed alone impressed me the more than anything I saw from both DZ and Stepan in their rookie campaigns. With the right line he could easily put up big numbers, but he might not always have that opportunity, especially if we sign a winger this off season. MDZ has shown massive improvements though, so who knows who might end up having the better career.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Now thinking about it, how is this thread OT?

04-04-2012, 05:27 AM
darko

MDZ. Impressive rookie season by a 19 year old blue liner.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:42 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Rookie year I voted Stepan, but forgot that Hagelin didn't even play the whole season and was on pace for 20+ goals. If I could change my vote I'd vote for Hagelin.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Everyone loves Hagelin and everyone loves Stepan but look at the threads from Del Zottos first season. People were going insane over him. He slumped in his sophomore season and people really hopped off the bandwagon but his first season was phenomenal. Those numbers are comparable and he was a defenseman.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Had to go with MDZ,cause when a defenseman can come into a league right off the bat and produce at 19 or 20,thats a special thing. being D-men take so long to come into there own.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I like Hagelin, but our team was doing just fine before he was called up.

Without Del Zotto, the 08-09 team never even gets close.

04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
aemoreira1981

I'm gonna say Carl Hagelin...as he can play anywhere on the top 3 lines as well as good power play and penalty killing. As a draft pick that late, that he made such an impact on the Rangers team makes me wonder why it took Andre Deveaux's stupidity (on Tomas Fleischmann) to get him called up. Hagelin's two-way play has been solid.

I was torn between Hagelin and Stepan in this poll, and chose Hagelin by a nose.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Stepan and Hagelin have both been impressive as rookies, but Del Zotto takes it for me. To take on that kind of responsibility at such a young age is pretty remarkable. Now we're really seeing just how good he's going to be.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:46 AM
district9

del zotto for me

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote