HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vyacheslav Voynov

Old
04-03-2012, 07:11 AM
SuperAlmeida

vCash: 500
Vyacheslav Voynov

What a steal by the LA Kings!

He looks great in his rookie-season! He and Martinez jumps in to the offensive zone a lot and he's not afraid to shoot the puck!

I believe he could have been a Calder candidate if he played more games? I know many are excited about Justin Faulk, and for a good reason. Yet Voynov have had a better rookie season (of course he plays on a better team):

Faulk's stats: 63GP-8G-14A-22Pts-(-17)

Voynov's stats: 52GP-8G-12A-20Pts-(+13)

Voynov and Martinez together have limited the loss of Jack Johnson.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 04-03-2012 at 07:28 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:19 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post

He looks great in his rookie-season! He and Martinez jumps in to the offensive zone a lot and he's not afraid to shoot the puck!

I believe he could have been a Calder candidate if he played more games? I know many are excited about Justin Faulk, and for good reason. Yet Voynov have had a better rookie season (of course he plays on a better team):

Voynov makes the Kings a much more mobile team. Too bad he only played 52 games, or else he would be seeing a lot more attention around the league. He would probably hit 12 goals and 30 assists in a full season.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
topliner967

It'll be fun having him on the team for a full season.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post

I believe he could have been a Calder candidate if he played more games? I know many are excited about Justin Faulk, and for a good reason. Yet Voynov have had a better rookie season (of course he plays on a better team):

While I agree with you, it should be pointed out Faulk's 19 while Voynov was almost 22 before he reached the NHL. That's a lot of development time. Not saying it should give one the edge over the other, but I've been very impressed with Faulk.

I find it funny that Rutherford, whose made a habit out of trying to piece together a D core from other teams scraps, has developed two very good ones from within McBain and Faulk).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

As a long time Voynov fan, it's been great to see him succeed as a rookie

Here's to many more great years in LA

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Our 7 million dollar man (Doughty) should take notes about how to take one timers.
Voynov is a pure joy to watch when he steps into the pass and is ready to fire it home on target without hesitation ... Drew seems tentative and unsure of himself of late almost unwilling to shoot at times ... and every time he gets the perfect set-up one timer pass he seems to want to stop it, stick handle, miss the chance to get a shot off, and then has to pass it around some more ... it's been REALLY frustrating to watch him this season.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

His offensive game has obviously been stellar. But I am very surprised/impressed with how his defense and physical play has come along. I love how he establishes body position first, then plays the puck. His decision-making and positioning have also greatly improved since his first stint here, and he even throws his body around a bit.

Very excited to have this guy as a King for a long time.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

I often forget he's a rookie. It feels like he's been here for a few years...at least he's playing with that level of composure. It will be an interesting test to see how he does in the playoffs if we make it.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

There are some players that just seem to come through in the clutch.

Voynov appears to be one of those kind of players. Matt Greene seems to have noticed.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Yup. He's a stud.

I love this guy. I really believe he has at least 30 points in him in a full season...he has a great knack at finding the stick in the slot on those soft passes from the point...the Kings forwards just need to recognize this a lot more and the assists will come.

Plus at least 10 to 15 goals.

The only downside I have seen lately is some turnovers...of course, no one is perfect. But this guy spoiled us rotten when he was called up early in the season; he just didn't make any defensive errors, and for a rookie, that was nails.

I want to see this guy in a Kings uniform for many, many years.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Our 7 million dollar man (Doughty) should take notes about how to take one timers.
Voynov is a pure joy to watch when he steps into the pass and is ready to fire it home on target without hesitation ... Drew seems tentative and unsure of himself of late almost unwilling to shoot at times ... and every time he gets the perfect set-up one timer pass he seems to want to stop it, stick handle, miss the chance to get a shot off, and then has to pass it around some more ... it's been REALLY frustrating to watch him this season.
I think he feels pressure to live up to his contract, and it's affecting his game. He'll settle in eventually.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Pharseer

vCash: 50
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think he feels pressure to live up to his contract, and it's affecting his game. He'll settle in eventually.
Too often people forget the impact a concussion can have on a players game, some players don't come back from them.

Even though DD may be trying to bring his best game for us, there's always that lingering thought of not wanting to get injured again.

Give him time, have patience, he will get it back.

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
I often forget he's a rookie. It feels like he's been here for a few years...at least he's playing with that level of composure. It will be an interesting test to see how he does in the playoffs if we make it.
That was always his strength as a defender, he always seems calm and under control and you rarely see him worry and try to force a play. Even before he was drafted he was always steady and calm under pressure, it was only the physical strength that was ever missing from his game and you had to know that it would eventually come.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
lumbergh

I hope Voynov becomes Lubomir Visnovsky v. 2.0.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Pucknut50

Voynov is a very tight skater - short strides and very quick and mobile in any direction. It looks like he uses a short stick so he controls the puck close to his feet well. He is the best D on the team at the break out pass. He knows when to shoot and gets the shot off quick.

Mitchell is the Key he's just a great defensive force and this helps Voynov. I read these boards everyday and I cannot even remember people getting on Mitchell that's how good he is. One of my best friends is a Canuck fan and he said if Mitchell stays healthy Kings fans are going to love him. He was 100% right. (Knock on wood)

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Voynov is a very tight skater - short strides and very quick and mobile in any direction. It looks like he uses a short stick so he controls the puck close to his feet well. He is the best D on the team at the break out pass. He knows when to shoot and gets the shot off quick.

Mitchell is the Key he's just a great defensive force and this helps Voynov. I read these boards everyday and I cannot even remember people getting on Mitchell that's how good he is. One of my best friends is a Canuck fan and he said if Mitchell stays healthy Kings fans are going to love him. He was 100% right. (Knock on wood)
Thing is there was a interveiw earlier this year when VV first got called up and Willie talked about being paired with VV. In the interveiw Willie kept saying that he was shocked by how mature and poised VV was and how well he understood parts of the game and that it was rare for a rookie. Mitchell has been a fantastic addition to the lineup and has really served as a stabilizing force on the backend since he's been here, but I think in this case part of it is VV just being that good of a young player.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Voynov is very much the reason Lombardi was comfortable trading Johnson for Carter. You could just tell from his first game that he belonged in the NHL.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:17 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
His offensive game has obviously been stellar. But I am very surprised/impressed with how his defense and physical play has come along. I love how he establishes body position first, then plays the puck. His decision-making and positioning have also greatly improved since his first stint here, and he even throws his body around a bit.

Very excited to have this guy as a King for a long time.
I remember Mitchell saying how impressed he was with Voynov's desire to learn the game. I can't really think of a better D-partner for Voynov than Mitchell.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Voynov has been a revelation for the Kings this year. The contributions of VV, King and Nolan have as much (if not more) to do with the Kings success under Sutter as the acquisition of Jeff Carter. What I love about VV's game is he does not hesitate, dude just goes after the puck and has shown he is willing to lug the puck out of the offensive zone under almost any situation. Now, you also see guys like AMart jumping up into the play regularly to create outnumbered attacks, and it is amazing how the Kings lineup has really solidified and everyone is playing to their role.

I was never a JJ fan (the whole MF thing was a stupid slogan driven by fans), nor a hater. But I don't miss him one bit. A Kings lineup with VV and AMart is better than one where JJ subs for one of those guys.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Is this considered a jinx thread? Way too much praise going on around here.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That is why on my post I put "Knock on Wood"

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:30 PM
MynameisKing

There are many things in the history of the Kings as a franchise that they do very poorly in concerning drafting by positions but they always seem to get solid young D-Men more often recently. Some of those that come to mind are Murphy, Blake, Zhitnik, Duchesne, Sydor, Visnovsky, Doughty, now hopefully Voynov. I liked Gleason when he was here briefly. They totally missed the boat with Corvo and Aki Berg, though!

Edit: Joe Corvo was never a minus player for the Kings!

Last edited by MynameisKing: 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Now it is! Ugh, nice work

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

What I love most about Voynov is he seems to know when to slide up into the slot area for the perfect one timer. He's had a few goals exactly this way. Other teams don't recognize him as a threat yet, so he just quietly jumps up and waits for the perfect pass across. That's how he scored his goal last night! Weirdly, I'm not even worried about him getting back, as he somehow does.

I remember fans saying he wasn't ready or as good as his numbers indicated in Manchester. I don't see it. Maybe the AHL game didn't fit his style, but I remember them mentioning his skating wasn't great. I wouldn't say that now!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
reset
Puck Luck

hate to say it but voynov > doughty for now

reset is offline   Reply With Quote