HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-02-2012, 08:10 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
This team thrives on adversity in case some of you have not noticed....Folks have and will continue to step up and take up the slack left by those injured etc....Its just the way this club rolls !And its great to watch.

SgtJoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Miss Mess

Wtf I thought briere was ok!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I wouldn't say so. You don't see teams pulling the goalie with 3 minutes left.
Actually, that's happened a couple times in the last week or two.

04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Cowen Time

Please knock out the Pens. It would make my day. Tired of them yapping about head shots, and gooning it up. Flyers play tough but it's in your face. Pens are weasels.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
TheKingPin

Hope the flyers deal with this the right way and pick their battles and use the anger to win. I'm done losing to these fools in the playoffs. We play how we should play and their will be penguins falling hard and we will win this series. We play dumb and they will take the series. Pretty easy choice. If there is nothing on the line saturday then yea dress Shelly and handle some things. Otherwise play to win

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
From after practice Tuesday.

From Tim P.:

Quote:
Briere says he has never had back spasms before. Not sure if he will be ready for playoffs
From Sam @ Inq.:

Quote:
Briere hopes he can return for start of playoffs, but there is no timetable, he said.
Quote:
Briere is icing the back, but says he has been having spasms in it from the hit by Vitale.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Adam Kimelman ‏ @NHLAdamK Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Briere says he has back spasms from hit by Vitale. Start mid-back and go all the way up. Hoping to be ready for Game 1 of playoffs

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
From after practice Tuesday.

From Tim P.:

From Sam @ Inq.:
But he is day to day right?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The context is that at that point in the game, Bylsma was making zero attempt to win the game. He was only seeking to rough up our players. That's why he had that line out there instead of one that might score a goal. The point of hockey is to win, not hurt people.

It's cute to see that coming from a team that cried it's butt off after the Islanders were mean to them last year.
Disagree. Yes, he was trying to send a message. We agree there. He is trying to win the war while losing the battle. Bylsma did what he did to motivate his team. Lavi responded in the way that he did for the same exact reason. The game had been chippy all along, so if the tables were turned, would I cry a river if rinaldo were out there against Crosby or Malkin or even Staal? Of course not.

It's the game within the game between two long time rivals that are about to get real familiar with each other. We're going to end up playing this team 5-8 times over the next 3 weeks. both coaches setting the tone and intensity.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

"sending messages" at the end of hte game was something that the NHL said would not be tolerated

glad to see the NHL has stuck with what they said concerning this incident

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
"sending messages" at the end of hte game was something that the NHL said would not be tolerated

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that my perception of the incident last Saturday is the same as when you see a pitcher drill a hitter when losing 10-1 in the 8th inning. You're ratcheting up the intensity in recognition of what's going to happen over the next 2 weeks.

If this Saturday turns out to be meaningless from a home ice perspective (probably unlikely), it will be bedlam.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:

So Shanahan should suspend Vitale for a clean open-ice hit? I didn't see the knee-on-knee, so I don't know if it should be reviewable or not, but there is no way that Shanahan should see the hit as anything but that. If Bylsma had Engelland, Asham and another tough guy line up in the 3 forward positions, that's one thing, but like it or not, Vitale hit Briere well within the rules.

That being said, I'm sure there has already been an extended conversation about what should be avoided next Saturday and the possible suspensions / fines if things get out of hand. If there's a repeat of the Devils / Rangers brawl to start the game, Shanahan will come down hard on the coaches and any player who instigates.

Much more often than not, when there is bad blood at the end of a game where the same teams will meet again shortly, the all-out war in the second game for which everyone was chomping at the bit doesn't happen. However, as Crosby said, these teams bring out the worst in each other, so there's definitely an added edge for things to get heated pretty quickly.

I say Laviolette starts next Saturday with Rinaldo / Giroux / Hartnell up front, Coburn / Bourdon on D and Shelley playing at the top of the crease.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
But he is day to day right?
Day-to-day is a modernized term for questionable. He'll be evaluated on a daily basis but Sam @ the Inq. has a more detailed article with quotes from post-practice (Tuesday):

Quote:
“Look, everybody knows that (they) put the line that was on the ice, on the ice with a minute left in a game that was out of hand,” Briere said. “Everybody knows the intent, what the intent was. Was it a bad hit? No. It was a clean hit.

“But obviously, you knew what he was doing. He was obviously trying to hurt me. We all know that.”

Now, Briere said he “doesn’t have the option” of playing another game before the playoffs start. He is officially sidelined indefinitely with an upper-back contusion. He has undergone MRIs and all kinds of tests and is currently undergoing treatment for the injury.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...#ixzz1r0cebX00

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
So Shanahan should suspend Vitale for a clean open-ice hit? I didn't see the knee-on-knee, so I don't know if it should be reviewable or not, but there is no way that Shanahan should see the hit as anything but that. If Bylsma had Engelland, Asham and another tough guy line up in the 3 forward positions, that's one thing, but like it or not, Vitale hit Briere well within the rules.
I never said there was anything wrong with Vitale's hit on Briere. In fact, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, the hit on Grossmann was cearly a knee-on-knee, which wasnt even called by the refs. How many games to you think Rinaldo would have gotten if he knee-on-kneed Niskanen? A few guarenteed.

What about Asham sucker punching Schenn while the linesman was between them or when he went after Rinaldo?

Or how about Malkin shoving Giroux's head into the ice and also taking a swing at Couturier?

Or, I got another one, what about Crosby's slashes all thoughout the game that didn't even warrent a 2 mintue penalty?

Say we're biased all you want, but you know without question that if the roles were reversed in those incidents, suspensions and penalties to our players would have been given at the end of the day.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Except you're jumping to conclusions.

Bylsma told Vitale to go knee Grossmann in the 1st (I think?) period?

I can't stand the reaction coaches get for putting out their 4th line at the end of a game. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Your options are, put out your good players in a game you've already lost, and risk they get hurt (this is what Laviolette did), or put out your crappy players and be perceived (key word is "perceived") as "gooning it up". I take the latter 100% of the time.

Stop assuming that we're playing the New Orleans Saints and there are bounties. Lavi should have played it safe and put Rinaldo etc out there. Not because he's trying to hurt anybody, but simply because, the Briere's of the world shouldn't be risking injury in a game you already won.
pens fan here. great post.

i have been saying this since the craziness ensued. why laviolette (sp) put what amounts to a pretty decent line of talent of simmons, briere and schenn with that little time left was beyond stupid. you guys were up 6-3 and all that needed to be done was run the clock out. throw the 4th linie out, kill the clock and maybe a dust up with a few seconds left.

the pens had no choice but to put that line out there. y put sid, geno or staals line out there to risk injury? bylsma put out a grinders line to ice the clock.

this to me could have been avoided had briere didnt have his head down. vitale took a clean hit and EVERYONE lost it after a clean hit.

it was part of the game, just like the fights after are.

its hockey between two rivals who hate each other and both teams were taking slashes and shots at players all game.

4/5th place doesnt matter, all that matters is looks like we get to hate on each other for another playoff tilt! let the hatred commence! lol

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
pens fan here. great post.

i have been saying this since the craziness ensued. why laviolette (sp) put what amounts to a pretty decent line of talent of simmons, briere and schenn with that little time left was beyond stupid. you guys were up 6-3 and all that needed to be done was run the clock out. throw the 4th linie out, kill the clock and maybe a dust up with a few seconds left.

the pens had no choice but to put that line out there. y put sid, geno or staals line out there to risk injury? bylsma put out a grinders line to ice the clock.

this to me could have been avoided had briere didnt have his head down. vitale took a clean hit and EVERYONE lost it after a clean hit.

it was part of the game, just like the fights after are.

its hockey between two rivals who hate each other and both teams were taking slashes and shots at players all game.

4/5th place doesnt matter, all that matters is looks like we get to hate on each other for another playoff tilt! let the hatred commence! lol
On the contrary, when was the last time you saw a guy take a run at another player with under a minute left in a 6-3 game, where it wasn't to stir things up or send a message for the next game? You could make arguments from both sides that will sound fairly rational.

You're not going to convince many of the fans around here to change their opinion on the play. And honestly, we'll never know what the true intentions were of the players on the ice. It certainly seemed like Asham lost his cool when he went after both Schenn and Rinaldo. He may not have gotten that order from the coaches, but he definitely knows what his role is as designed by the coach.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with anything and thinks you are all being whiners? Just go out and hit them hard next game. It's hockey.
Nope, I agree. If Briere keeps his head up, none of this happens. As much fun as it was to watch Lavi on the boards, I think he was wrong, too. If their 4th line hadn't played for 12 minutes why not rest the others and put them on? They had last change so deal with it.

The upcoming game is going to be scrutinized because here we are , 2 days later and they're still salivating at the thought of that series more than any other. If anyone touches Cindy or Malkin the refs will be calling it no matter what.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While it's nice that Lavi has the players backs and I like that he gives a crap as opposed to that corpse Stevens...I think he didn't need to take Blysma's bait. Last thing we need going into the playoffs against the pens is to get too emotional. Have to strike a balance between playing on the edge and discipline...Lavi wasn't exactly the poster child for his own philosophy in that incident but hey it happens and we're all human. Overall, it makes for good television...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post

If killing the clock was the reason the 4th line was out there, why even put Malkin and Crosby back out there on the PP in a game you're down by 3?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Berube said on Home Ice yesterday that Grossmann is okay and will be ready for the playoffs supposedly the knee was a slight sprain. Briere has back spasms and is receiving treatment and should be ready for 1st round.
I'm tired of Pens players calling the Flyers goons when they send out a line like they did on Saturday with a minute left, no wonder Lavy was pissed. Sid crying as usual about a cross-check when he did the same thing to Schenn, this is why penalties should be called in the first place even if you are untouchable Crosby.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Berube said on Home Ice yesterday that Grossmann is okay and will be ready for the playoffs supposedly the knee was a slight sprain. Briere has back spasms and is receiving treatment and should be ready for 1st round.
I'm tired of Pens players calling the Flyers goons when they send out a line like they did on Saturday with a minute left, no wonder Lavy was pissed. Sid crying as usual about a cross-check when he did the same thing to Schenn, this is why penalties should be called in the first place even if you are untouchable Crosby.
You make some valid points, but come on, you have to admit the hit on Brierre was a clean open ice hit....I would think most Flyer fans would appreciate a hit like that?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You make some valid points, but come on, you have to admit the hit on Brierre was a clean open ice hit....I would think most Flyer fans would appreciate a hit like that?
Clean hit yes, but imagine if Rinaldo hit Crosby with that hit with 1 minute left when the game was out of hand.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
I never said there was anything wrong with Vitale's hit on Briere. In fact, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, the hit on Grossmann was cearly a knee-on-knee, which wasnt even called by the refs. How many games to you think Rinaldo would have gotten if he knee-on-kneed Niskanen? A few guarenteed.

What about Asham sucker punching Schenn while the linesman was between them or when he went after Rinaldo?

Or how about Malkin shoving Giroux's head into the ice and also taking a swing at Couturier?

Or, I got another one, what about Crosby's slashes all thoughout the game that didn't even warrent a 2 mintue penalty?

Say we're biased all you want, but you know without question that if the roles were reversed in those incidents, suspensions and penalties to our players would have been given at the end of the day.
Your original post that I answered talked about "sending messages" at the end of the game. I apologize if I oversimplified to focus only on Vitale hitting Briere, but what else of your list falls under "sending messages"? I'm right with you on Asham getting a pass on some cheapshotting that should have received much more punishment than he got, but the rest doesn't fall into your original category.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
AtlasRust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Someone said it in another thread, but I thought it was a great analogy so I'm gonna paraphrase here...

It's like a pitcher beaning a guy in the head when they're down 10-1 in the 8th inning.

Now sticking with that baseball analogy, what do you think's gonna happen next time their star hitter is up to bat? The pitcher's probably gonna aim for his head.

AtlasRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
On the contrary, when was the last time you saw a guy take a run at another player with under a minute left in a 6-3 game, where it wasn't to stir things up or send a message for the next game? You could make arguments from both sides that will sound fairly rational.

You're not going to convince many of the fans around here to change their opinion on the play. And honestly, we'll never know what the true intentions were of the players on the ice. It certainly seemed like Asham lost his cool when he went after both Schenn and Rinaldo. He may not have gotten that order from the coaches, but he definitely knows what his role is as designed by the coach.
Most fans on here don't need their opinions changed. Most of us concede that Laviolette shouldn't have had Briere out there, and Briere shouldn't have had his head down. Byslma playing his 4th line is fine by me. Asham's role is to protect the superstars, who've been targeted by our players for the passed couple games between these two. He was doing his job, even though he lost his mind when Rinaldo set foot on the ice...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote