HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#80 KINGS vs. OILERS, 4/2/12 ... Thoughts & Tidbits = WE WIN, still in 3rd !!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
If I do win Stool's jersey off his back will my hands turn to stone and my brains turn to ****?

I'll take Ritchie's... I feel like me and RH are his only fans. And RH loves everyone

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

cool pic

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Funny thing about Brown being accused of being this blatant diver... you never see him get called for a diving penalty. Now Doughty has been caught by the refs a few times, but I guess Brown has to be the best if the refs never call him on it.
he's just good at selling it.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cyclones22

As someone who watches soccer and hockey, I always find the whole diving debate in hockey strange. In soccer, oftentimes it's creating an illusion of a foul when there is no contact. Not the case in hockey. Brown isn't just pretending contact never happens, it does. Does he embellish? Sometimes, yes. I'm not saying he doesn't dive, I'm saying if you put a stick between someone's legs or place a two-handed shove in the back, you're putting yourself in position to be called for a penalty.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Really you're going to rag on Canada based on that? Give your head a shake.
Give your head one. I see the same thing from Vigneult all the time as well.

Hey, all coaches do it from time to time. I was just surprised to see Renney bring it up again when the Oilers were clearly beaten by a superior team. Just say you have a young team, Dubnyk played great, but right now the Kings are better and move on.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Scary thought for EDM fans is that their front office could completely overreact to those saying their lack of defensive capability is holding them back and then fire Renney only to hire TM.

I really hope for their sake they would not, but given that they went with Quinn and then Renney in the first place, going with another NHL coaching fixture wouldn't be a surprise.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharseer View Post
Was an amazing pass from Richards, he was just owning fools in the faceoff circle all night, then to finish it off with that assist, unbelievable.

In other words...yet another game without a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
IMO, anyone can beat anyone in the west. I'm not scared of anybody
sportsclubstats.com has Kings with a 2.9% chance to win the cup. Compare 2.8% for Nashville and 1.3% for Phoenix. I believe that this is because so many losses this year are to CBJ, Minnesota, etc. A team that has a 50% chance of winning every game has a better chance of doing well in the playoffs (against the best teams) than a team with the same record that got it by beating the worst teams 75% of the time and losing to the best teams 75% of the time.

Also sportsclubstats doesn't know that one of those losses was to Grand Rapids rather than Detroit...

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post

cool pic
Just like that pic of Cloutier except the puck is in his glove and not in the net.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Give your head one. I see the same thing from Vigneult all the time as well.

Hey, all coaches do it from time to time. I was just surprised to see Renney bring it up again when the Oilers were clearly beaten by a superior team. Just say you have a young team, Dubnyk played great, but right now the Kings are better and move on.
I agree all coaches do it frm time to time, so why say it has anythign to do wth Canada.
Fact is there is more media attention in Canada so there is a better chacne of a coach getting caught saying something liek that in a Canadian market.
Whenever DL spots off I have never heard anyone say "Another crybaby US GM." No they say that it is just DL being a hot head.
Country has nothing to do with it. Coaches are coaches. They are going to get upset if call don't go their way reguardless of country.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Perro

Does anyone know what happened to Brown's eye?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
DaAnimal

I never knew sutter changed the entire system, correct me if im wrong but he didnt change the entire system, he probably just added a few bits and pieces of his style into the TM system.

Regardless of what people will say about the JJ and Carter trade, it was a win win for both teams. JJ is doing well in columbus and we are doing just fine without him in LA. Do certain fans miss him? Absolutely, the guy was a class act and I hate how some people are still preceiving him today as a greedy mother ****er. Carter has definitely made this team better. I mean our stats show it all. Arent we top 5 in scoring after the trade deadline? Imagine if Carter was on the ice last night against Edmonton, we probably would have had more goals.

Lets not forget about our two heroes, King and Nolan. These two have been a blessing to our roster. I seriously hope these two will stay in the lineup for next year. I am loving DK's game.

Of course lets not forget about our defense. Yes Quick has been PHENOMENAL but will he be this good without our defense? Without Greene, Mitchell, and Scuds? I hope Quick wins the Vezina, the guy deserves it and although I like Hank as well, Quick has shown that in this competitive division, a goaltender CAN make a difference.

I thought Penner had a good game last night. He was physical and was on target. I wouldnt mind signing him again next year if we can get him really cheap for another 1-2 years.

I still hate stoll and richardson. They need to find a way to finish...

Last but not least, we got two games left. If we can seal the deal on both of these games and win the divisional title, let the streaking commence.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
I never knew sutter changed the entire system, correct me if im wrong but he didnt change the entire system, he probably just added a few bits and pieces of his style into the TM system.

Regardless of what people will say about the JJ and Carter trade, it was a win win for both teams. JJ is doing well in columbus and we are doing just fine without him in LA. Do certain fans miss him? Absolutely, the guy was a class act and I hate how some people are still preceiving him today as a greedy mother ****er. Carter has definitely made this team better. I mean our stats show it all. Arent we top 5 in scoring after the trade deadline? Imagine if Carter was on the ice last night against Edmonton, we probably would have had more goals.

Lets not forget about our two heroes, King and Nolan. These two have been a blessing to our roster. I seriously hope these two will stay in the lineup for next year. I am loving DK's game.

Of course lets not forget about our defense. Yes Quick has been PHENOMENAL but will he be this good without our defense? Without Greene, Mitchell, and Scuds? I hope Quick wins the Vezina, the guy deserves it and although I like Hank as well, Quick has shown that in this competitive division, a goaltender CAN make a difference.

I thought Penner had a good game last night. He was physical and was on target. I wouldnt mind signing him again next year if we can get him really cheap for another 1-2 years.

I still hate stoll and richardson. They need to find a way to finish...

Last but not least, we got two games left. If we can seal the deal on both of these games and win the divisional title, let the streaking commence.
Sutter pretty explicitly said he changed the system a couple weeks ago. It was in an interview in reference to some of the soft goals Quick was giving up for a stretch there. Maybe someone with more time can find the exact quote.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Took a skate to the side of the head/ ear area. They talked about it over the weekend.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Sutter pretty explicitly said he changed the system a couple weeks ago. It was in an interview in reference to some of the soft goals Quick was giving up for a stretch there. Maybe someone with more time can find the exact quote.
Couple that with the interview with Mitchell stating that the defensemen were now free to be more creative and activate more and a poster on either here or LGK who spoke to Voynov and Slava saying that the defenseman's role in Murray's system was to stay in lanes like buses...well.

Just use your eyes and you can see a difference. That the Kings spend much more time with puck possession with Sutter than under Murray. Less dump and chase. Much more pressure on the forecheck. When the Kings have the lead, they just don't turtle in the 3rd period anymore. It's like night and day. We're seeing things in the last 30+ games that we haven't seen since Murray took over. Why yes, you can play elite defense AND create scoring chances through other methods than just "shot mentality".

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Brown is one of those players that you hate when he's not on your team. If he was playing for the Oilers you'd probably feel differently about him.

He hits, scores 20 goals, draws penalties, works his ass off, is good in the community, and almost never misses a game. All for a cap hit of just 3.1M
After he made the Oilers take the 3rd penalty, I turned to my husband and said, "Man, I love Brownie, but if he wasn't on the Kings, I'd hate his guts."

What people don't see that aren't Kings fans are the things he does outside of the game. He may not be the best captain, but he always supports his teammates and takes blame. He and his wife do so much for the community. Also, I believe Brown was the start of the winning culture with the Kings, putting together the group that stays in LA or comes back for part of the summer. The team started to feel like the team when Brownie and Greene started that.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Couple that with the interview with Mitchell stating that the defensemen were now free to be more creative and activate more and a poster on either here or LGK who spoke to Voynov and Slava saying that the defenseman's role in Murray's system was to stay in lanes like buses...well.

Just use your eyes and you can see a difference. That the Kings spend much more time with puck possession with Sutter than under Murray. Less dump and chase. Much more pressure on the forecheck. When the Kings have the lead, they just don't turtle in the 3rd period anymore. It's like night and day. We're seeing things in the last 30+ games that we haven't seen since Murray took over. Why yes, you can play elite defense AND create scoring chances through other methods than just "shot mentality".
That's a pretty excellent summation of what we're seeing now. Murray's "shot mentality" drove me absolutely crazy. The Kings still take perimeter shots, but that's not their only option now. They can create offense in so many different ways since they're no longer confined by that archaic strategy.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
If I do win Stool's jersey off his back will my hands turn to stone and my brains turn to ****?

I'll take Ritchie's... I feel like me and RH are his only fans. And RH loves everyone
I'd rather see you and Kurrilino fighting for it....................

That would be like Sedin sisters fighting each other...

both guys simultaneously;

One guy diving without being touched while the other one throwing himself back after been hit by an invisible stick. I guess it would be fun to see how much any one of you would be giving to not get the honorers jersey.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
In the St Louis game that went to a shootout, both Brown and Fraser took skates to the eye area. I think each needed 8-10 stitches.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Scary thought for EDM fans is that their front office could completely overreact to those saying their lack of defensive capability is holding them back and then fire Renney only to hire TM.

I really hope for their sake they would not, but given that they went with Quinn and then Renney in the first place, going with another NHL coaching fixture wouldn't be a surprise.
Terry Murray would be great for those kids. They just need to know when it's time to move on.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post
Terry Murray would be great for those kids. They just need to know when it's time to move on.
Totally agree.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Eye of the Tiger

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:07 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post

I hope they hire TM, their young scorers production will drop like a rock.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
topliner967

Renney fined for his comments:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625685

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post
I agree but disagree at the same time. I don't think decreasing RNH, Hall, and Eberle's production to make them a better but still not good enough defensive team would be the right thing to do. The problem lies with having to make #7 defenseman types play a ton of minutes and having horrible checking line centers, that is the main reason why they seem to have a hard time in their defensive zone. At least IMO.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by topliner967 View Post
Renney fined for his comments:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625685
Good.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote