HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two years of tanking and we are Stanley Cup contenders sooner than later

Old
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Two years of tanking and we are Stanley Cup contenders sooner than later

This year we will be drafting in the top three (unless something crazy happens!) and hopefully we will dragft either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, a potential future #1 star centre that can score and make plays.

If we also stink/tank next season and get a chance to land Nathan MacKinnon, I think we can contend for a Stanley Cup within 3 to 4 years based on our talent and leadership.

Pacioretty - Grigorenko/Galchenyuk - MacKinnon
Cole - Desharnais - Gionta
Gallagher - Plekanec - Leblanc
Geoffrion - Eller - White
Moen
Bournival

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Kaberle
St-Denis

Price

What do you guy's think of tanking and hopefully landing Grigorenko or Galchenyuk this year and MacKinnon next year?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Fans won't accept back to back tanking. Simply look at the way our interest for hockey has dropped in the last few weeks.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
DAChampion

I am definitely in favor of a development/investment year next season, for the reasons you mention and others.

Also:

1) Tinordi, Beaulier, Gallagher, Holland, Kristo?, Pateryn, Ellis, etc are joining the Hamilton Bulldogs next season. There will be a lot more talent on the team than normally... Let them develop in peace. Don't bring them up and down every 5 minutes. Please leave Leblanc in Hamilton for an extended stretch. I would leave Nail Yakupov (or whoever) in Hamilton next season for 40 games at least.

2) The 2013 draft is supposed to be extremely deep. I'm in favor of giving Gomez, Bourque, and Kaberle protected minutes all season long so as to maximize the potential return on these 3 at the trade deadline. Giving them protected minutes will pad their stats... but it will come at the expense of turning us into a losing team. Do it as an investment.

3) The 2013 UFA class will be one of the strongest ever, whereas the 2012 UFA class is weak.

I would suggest that the only acquisitions this team make in the 2012 UFA class are a backup goalie, and more enforcers.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Won't happen. This year was abysmal and we aren't in 1st overall pick territory (as in Columbus is much worse). No way we land MacKinnion with Price in net.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Unless something goes even worse and we lose 2-3 key players to major injuries next year it's not going to happen. Unless we trade for extra 1st rounders, I don't think we stand a chance at MacKinnon

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Fans won't accept back to back tanking. Simply look at the way our interest for hockey has dropped in the last few weeks.
Irrelevant.

Once the team starts winning games again the interest will come back within a few weeks.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
This year we will be drafting in the top three (unless something crazy happens!) and hopefully we will dragft either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, a potential future #1 star centre that can score and make plays.

If we also stink/tank next season and get a chance to land Nathan MacKinnon, I think we can contend for a Stanley Cup within 3 to 4 years based on our talent and leadership.

Moen
Bournival

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Kaberle
St-Denis

Price

What do you guy's think of tanking and hopefully landing Grigorenko or Galchenyuk this year and MacKinnon next year?

I think we are in a good spot to pick one of those guys this year. But you can forget about next year.

I believe if Markov stays healthy, then the PP will be back on track which puts us back fighting for a PO spot.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:36 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I think we are in a good spot to pick one of those guys this year. But you can forget about next year.

I believe if Markov stays healthy, then the PP will be back on track which puts us back fighting for a PO spot.
I think fans like you are in a for a rude awakening next year.

I don't think we are not a Markov away from being a good team... Habs have a lot of serious problems.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
loooooooooooool no way this will happen. Do you think Molson, from a fans perspective, is going to put up with two seasons that are this god awful?

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Irrelevant.

Once the team starts winning games again the interest will come back within a few weeks.
Isn't that what I said?

Tanking = losing = fans not happy. Winning = fans happy.

Goes without saying.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
There is no way the fans are going to accept back to back tanking.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

I don't think we are not a Markov away from being a good team... Habs have a lot of serious problems.
Yea no kidding, I didnt say they would be good. In fact they have sucked for years. Its just the really good special teams and stellar goaltending that kept them competitive.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

I agree but I also don't think we are as bad as this year. No way this team is a bottom 3 again next year. Everything went wrong this year and like you said we aren't a player or two away but I don't think things can honestly go worse then this season

The only reason we might be able to move closer next year is cause of our 3 2nd rounders we have right now

Old
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
But what does this mean? What is it that fans won't accept, and how will their lack of approval change the outcome of a tank?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

I think that if the Habs don't start trading away good players and are competently coached, their current roster makes it unlikely that they'll end up in the lottery next year. (Not impossible, obviously, but unlikely; I'd put better odds on them making the playoffs than ending up on the lottery even if they did nothing but get a new coach this summer.)

And if you start trading good players and make a roster that is genuinely lottery-quality... the problem with that is that you need to do a lot more than accumulate draft picks to turn a lottery-quality roster into a competitive one.

Either way, there's very little chance that the roster you propose ever happens.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Like Edmonton? Thought so. Except they've been blowing hard for years now. According to people here, they should be amazing because they have Eberle, RNH, Hall, etc - isn't that enough for them to be contenders? Thought so again.

And I am so ****ing tired of people thinking tanking is something that exists in the real world. Seriously, wake up. That's not how management of a sports team works.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Kriss E

First off, not going to happen.
Second, Eller will re-sign here to be a 4th line center? Where's Bourque?
Third, the club you presented could easily be one of the worse in the NHL. McKinnon would be in his rookie year, who knows how he'll perform. Also, it seems everything has gone wrong this year and we arguably have had the worst coaching in the NHL this season and we still won't finish last, so I don't see us finishing last next year. Grigs/Gal won't be top centerman within 2years and it isn't assured we're picking either of them, they might never become top liners. Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, they haven't even played a pro game in their career. Markov has not played as a top 2 Dman so far this year, he might keep struggling.

To finish, we are without a GM, and in a couple of games, without a coach (RC was interim, so once the season finishes, he no longer stands as the coach). Let's wait to see what happens with that.
Maybe Plekanec and Markov won't even be part of this team anymore, just to name a couple.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Moen
Bournival

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Kaberle
St-Denis

Price

I don't see us being bottom 5 unless we dump some of our best players.

Statistically this year's team should be in the playoff race and not 28th.

Plus with a new regime coming in, it would be ludicrous to ask them to make the team worse instead of better.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I agree but I also don't think we are as bad as this year. No way this team is a bottom 3 again next year. Everything went wrong this year and like you said we aren't a player or two away but I don't think things can honestly go worse then this season

The only reason we might be able to move closer next year is cause of our 3 2nd rounders we have right now
Habs are an elite injury team. We lost Markov and Gionta next year, but we'll probably lose equivalents next year, as we do every year.

Also, there is parity in the NHL. Other teams try to improve, and your vets grow older. If your team is not improving drastically, then your team is getting worse. Columbus, Islanders, and Toronto will all be better next season.

I think it's much better to accept the 2012-2013 tank, so that we can plan accordingly. That means putting Gomez, Bourque, and Kaberle in protected situations, so that we can get good value for them unlike what happened with AK46. It means leaving Gallagher in Hamilton rather than have him patrol the 4th line for 7 minutes a game.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Habs are an elite injury team. We lost Markov and Gionta next year, but we'll probably lose equivalents next year, as we do every year.

Also, there is parity in the NHL. Other teams try to improve, and your vets grow older. If your team is not improving drastically, then your team is getting worse. Columbus, Islanders, and Toronto will all be better next season.

I think it's much better to accept the 2012-2013 tank, so that we can plan accordingly. That means putting Gomez, Bourque, and Kaberle in protected situations, so that we can get good value for them unlike what happened with AK46.
I have no problem, I'm not expecting the Stanley Cup but I also do not think this team is as bad as it has been this year. I just don't see it. New management and coaching staff, players will also tend to be better and play harder. Also Columbus this summer going into next year, will not be better

Old
04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Craig71

We are sadly a long way away from respectable. We need a GM that is not delusional about our roster. If it takes another crap year, then so be it, don't band aid it to make 8th and go the same way we have been going for 20 years. We are a long ways from good and the fan base is screaming it but at the same time not really accepting it.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
DAChampion

I don't think the Habs can ever win with a Stanley Cup with Pacioretty, Price, Subban, Eller and Emelin as the youth core.

If we win a cup, it's with those players as the veteran core leading a group of impressive youth.

Where can we get these impressive youth?

The draft.

Alternatively, we can strive for 8th place and never win a cup with Price.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

2 years ??

what happened to the "we tank this year, get a great pick and we're back on track" or something... gone already ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
haburger

Quote:

Bailing on next season already?lol. Awesum.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Tim Wallach

For us to finish 30th next season would mean our new coach is a complete fail. No matter how you look at it. Regardless of his roster, good coaches don't finish 30th. So that fact alone scares me.

Tim Wallach is online now   Reply With Quote