Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time For Wild To Tank? No Thanks, Yeo Says

Old
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Well good to know I was wanting Fletcher to make a move since late December. And I stand by everything else I said in that post.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
rafterman

vCash: 0
A team that gives up a goal in the first 3-4 minutes in what, 5 games in a row ? is either not trying terribly hard or not prepared for those games.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
A team that gives up a goal in the first 3-4 minutes in what, 5 games in a row ? is either not trying terribly hard or not prepared for those games.
Or play for the first5 minutes and then watch the lead disappear, game after game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
Yeo says good teams are not drafting in the top 3 year after year after year... Well we haven't had a top 3 pick since our first year in the league and we just happened to get the best player we've ever had (Gaborik) when we had that top 3 pick
agreed

As for Yeo, of course he has to say that, and I'm glad he thinks that.

Still hoping we lose our last 3 though. Also, next season's playoff hopes rely really heavily on Lats and PMB, and I was hoping that wouldn't be the case

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well good to know I was wanting Fletcher to make a move since late December. And I stand by everything else I said in that post.
I thought you'd pick up on that.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

Absolutely, the same main parts were there, and the missing players were minor ones. I mean, Koivu, Cullen, Schultz, and Spurgeon are just minor cogs that don't make any difference when you compare to that essential core of Ortmeyer, Peters, Powe, and Johnson.
Johnson Heatley and Brodziak had at least some chemistry together.

Cullen was done for what? A few games? If even that? Schultz as well. Spurgeon...ran hot and cold.

Koivu is constantly down. The fact that we can't get over that little road bump is a bit unsettling for a bunch of profession players.

Schultz had to be minor unless, you know, he wasn't being offered as trade bait.

As for Powe and Johnson, they were both brought in to be every day players.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
nickschultzfan

I agree with Fletcher not blowing assets to try to get this team to the playoffs, only to get knocked out in the first round.

If this team was going to be a playoff thread, it would be if we were 100% healthy and we had some young guys step up big. Once Bouchard and Latendresse went down for the year, and Setoguchi and Koivu missed a huge amount of time, this team was done.

We could have traded Coyle+Hackett+ for Nash, which mighth have got us to the playoffs, but then people would be screaming if Nash declines and Coyle turns into a beast.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Grabbing one at random:

12/28/11

Glancing through others, it was nothing but positivity on a couple nights surrounding that one. There were complaints in the Calgary thread (12/20) but they were more regarding outcome than effort. There were some "bag skate" demands starting into January.

None of the concerns around the time were bordering on "they don't care" though. There were concerns about the effort level, but nothing about a lack of concern for the team's performance. All of it was about "getting over this injury hump." Leading into the TDL it wasn't even so much about effort level until right up before the deadline.
Concerns about effort to me are the same as saying the team is not giving a damn. If it doesnt come out and play its harder, if it looks somewhat lost and disinterested, like it's not giving its all, its not giving a damn.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Concerns about effort to me are the same as saying the team is not giving a damn. If it doesnt come out and play its harder, if it looks somewhat lost and disinterested, like it's not giving its all, its not giving a damn.
The statements were exclusively that the team looks exhausted and worn out. That's not "not giving a damn" by anyone's definition. I really hope you stretched well before trying to make such a reach.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
The statements were exclusively that the team looks exhausted and worn out. That's not "not giving a damn" by anyone's definition. I really hope you stretched well before trying to make such a reach.
You are not going to change my mind at this point. I'm standing by what I have been saying since my epic rant after the Eddy Xmas Disaster. During the collapse the team had no pride in anything, and nobody played for anyone, not even themselves. Yeah they took not giving a damn to a new level when they started getting blown out night after night, but it was still there in spades before.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
mnwildgophers

Is it possible that the play of some of the new guys that we recently added infused a new amount of effort into the boys? Zucker didn't play much on Sunday, but he had a hell of a game on Saturday. Look at the way he got his first NHL assist. I don't know if there was anyone on our team that could make a move like that. We're going to be better next year simply because we're going to have talented youngsters that we can call up instead of Jed Ortmeyer and Warren Peters.

As far as the tanking thing goes, I'd love to see a high pick, but I am always happy when we win games. It's frustrating, but it's entertaining to see the team play well and it gives us a glimpse of the future. This year was always about the future. We're now starting to see that patience is going to pay off.

Another move that's really looked good lately is the Gilbert pick-up. His play has been better lately, this could also be a reason why we are winning more games too. He's racked up two games with over 30 minutes in each one, and had two nice assists directly leading to goals in the Panther game, and he looked great in Chicago on Sunday night.

I'm mostly excited for next year. Add another Top 10 pick into our prospect pool in which we're seeing 6 possibly 7 guys turning pro next year, we'll have depth to be able to outlast injuries, and young guys wanting to prove themselves. We have 3 games left, and let's just enjoy them and hope the team keeps playing well.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Dr Jan Itor

If I could bet on it, I'd still put my money on us getting a top 5 pick, probably #4 or #5. I see Nashville coming out like gangbusters tonight.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If I could bet on it, I'd still put my money on us getting a top 5 pick, probably #4 or #5. I see Nashville coming out like gangbusters tonight.
It'll be 4-8, but I'd be more inclined to put money on the middle than either end. That's ignoring the lottery of course.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
It'll be 4-8, but I'd be more inclined to put money on the middle than either end. That's ignoring the lottery of course.
Yeah, pre-lottery I meant. The teams around us play each other a lot in the next 3 games; points to be earned.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

If we manage to come out of this with the 4th pick, pre-lottery, I will be very pleased.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Yeah, pre-lottery I meant. The teams around us play each other a lot in the next 3 games; points to be earned.
But at the same time, points to be lost. I'm not worried about Winnipeg and Tampa, but I have a sneaking suspicion Montreal will beat Toronto, but not make up the ground between us. That just leaves one of NYI/CAR/ANA not making it past us to push us back to 6th. I can see 5th as realistic if we lose out, but even a single win makes that seem unlikely. I think we're looking at 5-8 with 5 = 0 wins 6 = 1 win, 7 = 2 wins, 8 = 3 wins.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If we manage to come out of this with the 4th pick, pre-lottery, I will be very pleased.
Just take a look at the remaining NHL schedule, it's a slew of Montreal vs. Toronto, Anaheim vs. Tampa Bay, Edmonton vs. Montreal, Carolina vs. Tampa Bay. It's nuts.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
But at the same time, points to be lost. I'm not worried about Winnipeg and Tampa, but I have a sneaking suspicion Montreal will beat Toronto, but not make up the ground between us. That just leaves one of NYI/CAR/ANA not making it past us to push us back to 6th. I can see 5th as realistic if we lose out, but even a single win makes that seem unlikely. I think we're looking at 5-8 with 5 = 0 wins 6 = 1 win, 7 = 2 wins, 8 = 3 wins.
Well yeah, anything can happen, but that's the point. There are still a lot of possibilities, and then you consider who we're playing (I know we've beaten teams we shouldn't have already, but still), and all I'm saying is that it's possible, and I don't consider it of a remote nature.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Just take a look at the remaining NHL schedule, it's a slew of Montreal vs. Toronto, Anaheim vs. Tampa Bay, Edmonton vs. Montreal, Carolina vs. Tampa Bay. It's nuts.
It is, but the problem is my gut is telling me that Nashville is not going to take us as seriously as they should and we're gonna upset them, and then the same thing could happen against Chicago and Phoenix. If that happens it does not matter who gets points behind us, because we would be keeping pace.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
It is, but the problem is my gut is telling me that Nashville is not going to take us as seriously as they should and we're gonna upset them, and then the same thing could happen against Chicago and Phoenix. If that happens it does not matter who gets points behind us, because we would be keeping pace.
That's possible, sure, but I don't see Nashville doing that. Right now, they are one point behind Detroit for #4 seed and home ice advantage. I can't see them laying an egg tonight.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
If Phoenix is playing for their season, they won't let up. Tippett's team won't overlook that game. If they're playing for positioning, they might not be as desperate. Either way, I can't see a Tippett coached team letting up in that game.

Chicago is the one we're seriously at risk of winning. They don't want to move up in the rankings (hmm, opening round @ PAC winner or @ Smashville?). The only thing that worries me about tonight is Lindback in net instead of Rinne. He's a little less steady of a presence. Nashville is playing for home ice though, and that's huge for them, especially with how their crowd is.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

I guess we will just have to see what happens in a couple of hours when the puck drops.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If Phoenix is playing for their season, they won't let up. Tippett's team won't overlook that game. If they're playing for positioning, they might not be as desperate. Either way, I can't see a Tippett coached team letting up in that game.

Chicago is the one we're seriously at risk of winning. They don't want to move up in the rankings (hmm, opening round @ PAC winner or @ Smashville?). The only thing that worries me about tonight is Lindback in net instead of Rinne. He's a little less steady of a presence. Nashville is playing for home ice though, and that's huge for them, especially with how their crowd is.
Will Keith and Toews be back by our next game?

Old
04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
I think someone on air was saying there were rumors of one of them being back for Chicago's next game.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
rafterman

vCash: 0
Us a week ago... Wooohooooo

Coach Yeo drawing up a play at practice this morning...

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Keith should be (I think his suspension will be over, but maybe not). Last I heard, Toews is practicing, and has been cleared for contact, but who knows when he'll be back. They probably want him to get a regular season game or two in instead of dropping him into the playoffs cold.