HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara/Redden????

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
My friend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
From my understanding, if you sign for 20% of the cap 1 year and the cap lowers the next year, they player will still be paid what he signed for(every cent counting towards the cap). This is a reason alot of players signed contracts last season for 7 million(instead of 7.8 million). Both sides gambled(players that the cap would go down, owners that it would stay the same or go up).

I think the only expection to this rule are contracts signed before the lockout like Yashin's or Jagrs. They still will be paid what they should get but the cap hit can only be a maximum 20% of the salary cap.
I'm not sure if you counted the escrow factor into that though. In other words, if a player is signed (from now on) at 20% of the projected cap, and the cap winds up going down, his pay will go down conmensurately, at least for that year.

I'm not sure if that's what you were alluding to. That's my understanding of it.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
NYIsles1*

Bottom line if the Islanders are really interested in Chara or Redden they will have the flexibiity to make an offer.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Bottom line if the Islanders are really interested in Chara or Redden they will have the flexibiity to make an offer.

I'm not sure I agree. I don't think the cap, or the Isles budget, is going to offer all that much room. The Isles are right up against the cap now. If we delete Parrish and Kvasha, and bring up Bergenheim and PN, and Nilsson, I'm guessing that we'll have 2 - 3 million to play with. Some of that will be used up on a longterm deal for the Rick.

Now, if the cap goes up a few million, we'll have more room. But, not enough to take a run at Chara or Redden.

Old
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Now, if the cap goes up a few million, we'll have more room. But, not enough to take a run at Chara or Redden.
I read in some places the cap is expected to go up, but you take away what Parrish, Niinimaa (that trade did free up cap space) and Kvasha makes along with some of the fringe one-way deals like Papineau and I'm sure if the Islanders really are targeting either of these players they will have the option to try and sign one of them.

That said it's highly unlikely, IMHO.

Old
02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Assuming Parrish, Kvasha, and Bates are gone (Papineau is not as relevant, since he was in the AHL his contract did not effect that cap), we save about 3.5 million. Add in Janne's contract, and you've got close to six million. BUT, by bringing up rookies like Bergie, Nilsson, and PN, you eat up 2 - 3 million of that. And, then money gets eaten up in a probably multiyear deal for the the Rick. That doens't leave us with the kind of cash needed to take a run at Chara/Redden.

Unless the cap goes up quite a bit (in which case every team in the league will have money to spend), we'll be a non-player this year.

Old
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUCK29
i would like for everyone to say together. BRYAN McCABE . THE WRITTINGS ON THE WALL. PLUS HIS WIFE IS FROM LONG ISLAND
It does make some logic having him come back since it might be easier to sign him for the given reason, but i think we need a defenseman who is better defensively personally.

Closed Thread