HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall - 03/27/12 UPDATE Out For Rest Of Season With Labrum Surgery

Old
04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
TheOtherScott

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
So I guess he won't be participating in the Bio-Steel program with Gary Roberts. I wonder how much of a setback this will be in terms of being able to condition.
Based on what little I know about hockey conditioning, the current trend is to focus on lower-body strength and balance and core strengthening. Upper body strength training is just part of it, important as it may be for a player like Hall.

So he'd be limited, but it's not like he's spending all six months in bed.

TheOtherScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Uuuuuh, wasn't he supposed to get the surgery today?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Quote:
@NHL_Oilers

#Oilers forward Taylor Hall had successful surgery on his injured left shoulder today in Cleveland, Ohio

Cold Dome Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He did

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Yeah, Oilers Twitter and Facebook just posted the news. Good stuff.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:51 PM
#ualberta

Great news today. Let the recovery begin. I'm hopeful that this surgery will do nothing but make him a better player.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:16 PM
SDig14

With everything Hemmer has dealt with, the fact he seemingly goes to the room every second night with a sore shoulder, etc., it leaves a bad feeling when thinking about the recovery and result for Taylor.

That being said, Hall is a warrior and Hemmer is not exactly a gritty guy that battles through a bit of pain well, so I think if it is some minor discomfort then Hall will be fine.

Furthermore, if what he has been able to do to date is WITH the bad shoulder and playing through pain, then I can't see him regressing at all once healthy.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wouldn't want him on a uber strict workout regimen this young anyway. I think a lot of players make that mistake. Also for hockey players being that versatility, movement, exacting fine motor control are essential keys (and much more so than most sports) that I question how much physical change fo the body impacts a players overall on ice efficacy.

You could look at Moreau, Horcoff, Cogs, Souray, as recent examples of the teams workout kings that beat all in a gym. How much has it really helped their game?

I worry sometimes what some of these extreme training camps actually do to a players game.

Players like Smyth, Hemsky, have never had a need for this stuff.
I agree 100% Replacement. I don't understand why so many players are training this way- most of their time should be on ice skill and that needs to be supplemented with strength training- key word "strength". I had the honor of meeting Barry Ross- a brilliant sprint coach- and his athletes are extremely strong, extremely fast and well trained. He spends minimal time in the weight room- couple of sets of deadlifts, some presses and thats it. When i asked about improving my game he said "if you want to get better at skating, shooting passing- practice skating shooting, passing". You aren't going to imrpove your skills in the weight room. Apparently- a few NHL teams have contacted him.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
With everything Hemmer has dealt with, the fact he seemingly goes to the room every second night with a sore shoulder, etc., it leaves a bad feeling when thinking about the recovery and result for Taylor.

That being said, Hall is a warrior and Hemmer is not exactly a gritty guy that battles through a bit of pain well, so I think if it is some minor discomfort then Hall will be fine.

Furthermore, if what he has been able to do to date is WITH the bad shoulder and playing through pain, then I can't see him regressing at all once healthy.
I think that people respond to this type of surgery differently and it's probably beneficial that Taylor is still so young yet. Oil Kings' forward Travis Ewanyk had the same surgery back in October and he's been back for 15 games now (including playoffs) and he hasn't had any difficulties.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Not to drag this off topic but this is garbage.
He played hurt for years and still went into the dirty areas to make plays happen for scrubs like horcoff.
Tell me again how he isn't gritty and how he's soft.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Not to drag this off topic but this is garbage.
He played hurt for years and still went into the dirty areas to make plays happen for scrubs like horcoff.
Tell me again how he isn't gritty and how he's soft.
1. Didn't say he was soft. He went into the dirty areas to make plays, which is good.

2. He came out of those dirty areas hurt a lot of the time. Does that make him soft? No. But even in the last 2 weeks he's left how many games with a sore shoulder? 3? How many this year? Maybe 5? And then ends up missing the rest of the game and then plays the next night. If that was Hall, IMO he would be playing unless he physically can't go. And this year you can tell Hemmer isn't going into the tough areas as much, isn't playing through pain as much, and doesn't come across nearly as engaged in the game as Hall does. That being said, not many people play with the passion that Hall does, but the difference between hall and the 2011 version of hemsky is night and day IMO.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
1. Didn't say he was soft. He went into the dirty areas to make plays, which is good.

2. He came out of those dirty areas hurt a lot of the time. Does that make him soft? No. But even in the last 2 weeks he's left how many games with a sore shoulder? 3? How many this year? Maybe 5? And then ends up missing the rest of the game and then plays the next night. If that was Hall, IMO he would be playing unless he physically can't go. And this year you can tell Hemmer isn't going into the tough areas as much, isn't playing through pain as much, and doesn't come across nearly as engaged in the game as Hall does. That being said, not many people play with the passion that Hall does, but the difference between hall and the 2011 version of hemsky is night and day IMO.
While that may be true I don't think its accurate to base Hemsky's performance through pain and injury off just this year alone, the poor guy has been battling with this injury for years and was never afraid to go into tough areas despite taking massive amounts of abuse for the greater part of his career. This is Hall's second season he's at a different place mentally and physically than Hemsky.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote