HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two years of tanking and we are Stanley Cup contenders sooner than later

Old
04-03-2012, 05:51 PM
HabsSlappy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This made me laugh. What are you sacrificing exactly?
Millions of dollars like the owner?
A miserably boring, long and dreadful season like the players?

Ya...you're sacrificing a whole lot buddy..
You don't have to be an *******.

I am willing to sacrifice my hard earned money to buy tickets to see my team and buy merchandise to show the world which team I support. To stick by them though the lean years.

I realize this pales in comparison to the millions of dollars that Molson would be sacrificing by not having playoff games, or reduced concession sales.

If thought this was a forum to express ideas and opinions, not to sling mud just because it makes you feel superior to put people down. Do me a favor and save the smart ass comments.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Columbus, the Islanders, The Oilers

Tanking doesn't guarantee anything. Far from it.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post

Oh. I think you forgot Tampa, Carolina, Toronto, Buffalo, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Anaheim and Minnesota.

Tanking sucks.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

There is no way we get MacKinnon next year. Its also a terrible strategy since at best we'll have 49% chance to acquire him.

Its hard to believe we can be as terrible as we were this year. We were extremely unlucky (or lucky, depending on the perspective) to finish this low.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
There is no way we get MacKinnon next year. Its also a terrible strategy since at best we'll have 49% chance to acquire him.

Its hard to believe we can be as terrible as we were this year. We were extremely unlucky (or lucky, depending on the perspective) to finish this low.
You never know. We will fight for a playoff spot again next year. I won't be surprise if we will be out of the playoff again next year. If we can get a franchise player like Crosby then I would sacrifice next year too.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
You never know. We will fight for a playoff spot again next year. I won't be surprise if we will be out of the playoff again next year. If we can get a franchise player like Crosby then I would sacrifice next year too.
Mackinnon is no Crosby ... LOL.

Mackinnon isnt even garanted to go out 1st overall. Seth Jones is in the fight.
Also, we will add one elite talent this year (Dman OR Forward.)and two or three great players with our 2/3rd picks. Then, next year we can add another great player in the 15-25 range and 2 other great with our other picks. This draft is deep.
Our prospect bank will be full by july 1 of 2014 and you'll see the montreal Canadiens be in the 5-15 range prospect pool ranking of HF.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
There's not a player in the world worth another season like this one. The tank stops on April 7th, 2012

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
You don't have to be an *******.

I am willing to sacrifice my hard earned money to buy tickets to see my team and buy merchandise to show the world which team I support. To stick by them though the lean years.

I realize this pales in comparison to the millions of dollars that Molson would be sacrificing by not having playoff games, or reduced concession sales.

If thought this was a forum to express ideas and opinions, not to sling mud just because it makes you feel superior to put people down. Do me a favor and save the smart ass comments.
Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:56 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Fans won't accept back to back tanking. Simply look at the way our interest for hockey has dropped in the last few weeks.
Yeah? Evidence?

Edmonton has nearly sold out every game in the last 10 years. Smaller city. Less rabid fans.

Calgary + Edmonton = 2 million fans in the metro areas combined yet they easily support two NHL teams (including one that is a perennial tank).

Montreal has 3.8 million in the metro area and no competition.

It would take a lot for the fans not to sell out the Bell Centre.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I posted a thread in the summer of last year arguing that the change from Hamrlik/Wisniewski to Markov/Gorges would weaken the team, and the vast majority of posters said I was wrong.

It was a huge difference. Losing Hamrlik was the equivalent of a baseball team losing their ace pitcher.
Have you seen Hamrlik play in Washington this season? He has gone waaay down hill and letting him go was the right decision. If a player is on the wrong side of 35 then you can't guarantee a repeat performance, especially considering the number of minutes we had him logging the last few seasons.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post

Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary.

Striving for 8th place doesn't guarantee anything.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Oh. I think you forgot Tampa, Carolina, Toronto, Buffalo, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Anaheim and Minnesota.

Tanking sucks.
Tampa won the cup with 1st overall Lecavalier..who they got from tanking. Now they have Stamkos who can lead them to a cup. We don't have anybody close to that.

Carolina won the cup with 2nd overall Eric Stall...who they got from tanking.

Anaheim hasn't really tanked until this season. I mean they had the Hart Trophy winner last year.

Atlanta has sucked...no doubt. Bad organization and bad hockey city. Should be better in WInnepeg.

NYI have tanked alot. They have a good nucleus now with Tavares and probably Dumba.

Minnesota hasn't really tanked to a top 3 pick. Mostly top 10.

Columbus is crap. Same problem as Atlanta. Bad hockey market where no real hockey people want to be.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah? Evidence?

Edmonton has nearly sold out every game in the last 10 years. Smaller city. Less entitled fans.

Calgary + Edmonton = 2 million fans in the metro areas combined yet they easily support two NHL teams (including one that is a perennial tank).

Montreal has 3.8 million in the metro area and no competition.

It would take a lot for the fans not to sell out the Bell Centre.
Fixed. Montreal fans look at the rafters and feel they deserve to win. Its great when the team is good, but when it goes bad the fans go home.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:06 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Fixed. Montreal fans look at the rafters and feel they deserve to win. Its great when the team is good, but when it goes bad the fans go home.
Okay. They haven't not sold out a game since 2004. During that time the team has won nothing but a few playoffs runs.

And they sold out every game in this horrible season. And on the road they drawn alot of fans. It's hard to believe everybody will just stop going if they get 72 points versus the normal 88-95.

I bet if we had Stamkos here and a team with 72 points, everybody would be just as happy as a 9th place finish and 88 points.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
sharks9

Barring a major injury to Price + pacioretty or something like that, there's no way we finish in last place overall.

Is there a chance we miss the playoffs next year? Yes. But no way do we finish last.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Tampa won the cup with 1st overall Lecavalier..who they got from tanking. Now they have Stamkos who can lead them to a cup. We don't have anybody close to that.

Problem again is use of the word 'tanking' which you confusing with being bad at hockey

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Okay. They haven't not sold out a game since 2004. During that time the team has won nothing but a few playoffs runs.

And they sold out every game in this horrible season. And on the road they drawn alot of fans. It's hard to believe everybody will just stop going if they get 72 points versus the normal 88-95.

I bet if we had Stamkos here and a team with 72 points, everybody would be just as happy as a 9th place finish and 88 points.
They don't really have an argument.

They think Molson will make more money by striving for 8th place than by putting together a team that can put together deep playoff runs.

They also completely ignore the merchandise sales that would accrue from having a superstar on the roster.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:

The games sold out way before people found out the season would end up like this. The tickets are paid for but the seats are empty. Next year people will probably be more cautious if changes aren't made as no one wants to spend good money when they know their team is going to (trying to in your hopes) lose.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:16 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Problem again is use of the word 'tanking' which you confusing with being bad at hockey
We tend to have players who playing really hard like Gionta, Moen. They tend to outplay their talent levels. Same for Martin as coach. He was good at maximizing mediocre talent. That's how you end up 8th overall every season.

I say this season, we've played on par with our talent and finished where we should have in the standings. That's fine, since we will rewarded with high end skill and size in the draft.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
The games sold out way before people found out the season would end up like this. The tickets are paid for but the seats are empty. Next year people will probably be more cautious if changes aren't made as no one wants to spend good money when they know their team is going to (trying to in your hopes) lose.
I doubt that. If we have Grigorenko, MaxPac and let all the other young guys play, we'll alot more interesting and exciting team. Regardless of our record.

Look at Toronto's sellout streak.

Right, the normal season ticket holders are pissed at the end of the season. Okay. Had they not bought those tickets, more casual fans would jump at the chance to get tickets to the Bell Centre.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
They don't really have an argument.

They think Molson will make more money by striving for 8th place than by putting together a team that can put together deep playoff runs.

They also completely ignore the merchandise sales that would accrue from having a superstar on the roster.
You want to tank for one more year which means you think one more player will be the difference between a long playoff run and a first round exit. What if he busts? What if he has injury problems? What if he can't play in the Montreal spotlight? Well you just set back the development of all your young roster players by creating a tanking culture and none of them want to stay when they hit UFA. Enjoy all that extra money you made by missing the playoffs Molson!

Your merchandise sales point is useless because not only do NHL teams not get a cut of merch sales, but just because we get a new player doesn't mean the casual fan will have 300 dollars to blow on a jersey that they otherwise wouldn't have bought. Besides, we a getting a top young pick this year, isn't he good enough for your jersey?

Old
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Jsweenie

E certainly could finish last next season. This year wasn't an anomaly, it was a quick free agent rebuild a few years back falling apart. Cammy played himself out of town, gill and spacek got dealt, gionta has been hurt and thus ineffective all year and Gomez has been... Gomez. the wheels of what was supposed to be the nucleus of this team fell right off this year. Don't think it will be as brutal come October but if some strong support players aren't brought in then it might be a similar result of one good first line, plekanec, gorges and subban, followed by a lot of mediocrity

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Anaheim hasn't really tanked until this season. I mean they had the Hart Trophy winner last year.

Atlanta has sucked...no doubt. Bad organization and bad hockey city. Should be better in WInnepeg.

NYI have tanked alot. They have a good nucleus now with Tavares and probably Dumba.

Minnesota hasn't really tanked to a top 3 pick. Mostly top 10.

Columbus is crap. Same problem as Atlanta. Bad hockey market where no real hockey people want to be.

We have Price.
I wasnt talking about early years tampa i'm talking about the team that drafted two times in the top 2 and I think four times in the top 10. They made a conference final run just like us.. But they missed the playoff every other years. (We dindt.)

Same with Carolina wich was an expansion team. What did they win in the last 5-6 years?
Anaheim are bottom feeders since 07 or so.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
I doubt that. If we have Grigorenko, MaxPac and let all the other young guys play, we'll alot more interesting and exciting team. Regardless of our record.

Look at Toronto's sellout streak.

Right, the normal season ticket holders are pissed at the end of the season. Okay. Had they not bought those tickets, more casual fans would jump at the chance to get tickets to the Bell Centre.
You think the owners of those empty seats at our home games didn't try and sell their tickets?

Old
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweenie View Post
E certainly could finish last next season. This year wasn't an anomaly, it was a quick free agent rebuild a few years back falling apart. Cammy played himself out of town, gill and spacek got dealt, gionta has been hurt and thus ineffective all year and Gomez has been... Gomez. the wheels of what was supposed to be the nucleus of this team fell right off this year. Don't think it will be as brutal come October but if some strong support players aren't brought in then it might be a similar result of one good first line, plekanec, gorges and subban, followed by a lot of mediocrity
Realistically I think we need a top 6 LW, shut down RD and for Markov to regain his mobility and we should at minimum be challenging for a playoff spot. This is assuming we hire a decent coaching staff of course.