HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Expectations

View Poll Results: Where do you think we will be in the standings?
#1 in Eastern Conference 7 7.53%
#2-3 in Eastern Conference 7 7.53%
#4-6 in Eastern Conference 74 79.57%
7-8 in Eastern Coference 2 2.15%
MISSES PLAYOFFS 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Ask and you shall receive lol. Thanks!
No prob bud, i was going to add but i forgot thanks for reminding me.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Absolutely 4-6.
agreed...however if you get me my elite first line left winger w/o dismantling the rest of the team too bad, id move that to 1st in the conference.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Honestly, as of right now, I'm very optimistic. Barring any major injuries or unforeseen moves by our competition, I have the Rangers finishing 3rd. I think adding BR, plus a return to form by Gabby, plus - most importantly - continued progression from the kids can get us there.

I actually have Boston slipping out of the top 3 - I think they'll be fourth or fifth, because Thomas won't be quite as insane as he was last year (this is not to say that they still wouldn't be very dangerous in the playoffs). Then, between Pittsburgh's injuries and TB's age, one of them will drop out as well. So... that leaves the Rangers in 3rd behind Washington and one of TB or Pitt. Still don't think they'll compete for the Cup this year, but I see the Rangers producing a dramatic improvement in the standings and perhaps 2 playoff round victories.

Of course, it's still very early in the summer, so things will likely change a lot between now and the end of next season.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:18 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I watch the sabres a solid amount when I'm upstate, which is for most of the hockey season, and from what I've seen there is no reason to believe his stats are lying. You posted his career numbers (which are worse than Hanks) but obviously included in those numbers is his crazy good outlier of a season. Like I said before, he had one amazing year and hasn't duplicated it since or even come close to it before.

I said people should just take a look at his career numbers, but I guess I'll just post them to make it easier starting from his first season playing more than 15 games.

GAA Sv%
2.60 .914
2.73 .911
2.64 .906
2.53 .918
2.59 .916

That's excluding his olympics year where he put up a 2.22 and a .929. Take this year out and his career numbers aren't impressive.

When you talk about goalies and how good they are it's important to really scrutinize their play and really be stingy with praise. Scrubs get hot and put up great numbers for periods of time, but then go back to being scrubs. Others are elite each year like our guy. Others are mediocre, then play above their level, then go back to being mediocre. This last type is Ryan Miller.
I understand, I know his career numbers aren't sexy but he is an elite goalie whose numbers won't do his career justice. The guys is as good as people say he is and is without a doubt in my top 5 goalies in the league.

(In no particular order)

Lundiqvst, Thomas, Luongo, Rinne, Miller

To get back on topic, I say 4-6 in the east, and a VERY tough team to compete with in the playoffs if healthy.

No reason to believe Richards shouldn't be at or over a point-per-game so I'll say 85 points for him, Gabby with 45+ goals, Stepan with 50+ points and I think this is the year Dubi breaks 25 goals and possibly sniffs 30.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I think we could finish 4-6 if we had this roster during last year (2010-11). It just seems as if everyone in the East got better, so it makes not much of a difference. Except I do think everyone is overrating the Sabres.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
terrrrrible

4th-7th in the East. Out in ECSF.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I think we could finish 4-6 if we had this roster during last year (2010-11). It just seems as if everyone in the East got better, so it makes not much of a difference. Except I do think everyone is overrating the Sabres.
I think the Sabres got better, and Washington who was already better than us got better. Past that though, I don't think there was too much improvement.

You have to expect the Devils to have an actual season instead of what happened last year, so put them in the playoffs- I think they finish 6-8. However, I don't think any of the other PO teams have improved enough to suddenly become playoff teams. Carolina's still a wild card, and TO is too but I don't think they can maintain the pace they did near the end of the season even with Reimer.

I think we're better than Montreal, Buffalo, and can compete with Pittsburgh, Boston and Washington. I personally think we'll be able to finish higher than the new Philadelphia team but let's wait until the season to actually say that.

TB may still have our number, even though we have the advantage in goaltending and defense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, as of right now, I'm very optimistic. Barring any major injuries or unforeseen moves by our competition, I have the Rangers finishing 3rd. I think adding BR, plus a return to form by Gabby, plus - most importantly - continued progression from the kids can get us there.

I can see that happening. I voted 4-7 only because we can't be sure that Brad returns to form and none of the kids mess up.

But if Gabby returns to his 40-goal form, MDZ is back to scoring 40 points, McDonagh and Sauer continue their good work and Erixon joins them, and obviously Lundqvist keeps it up, the Rangers should be a very dangerous team.

Last season, the Rangers were only 16 goals away from Goals For - Goals Against. A few more goals would've made a big difference in the standings.

If Brad works out, he can make a difference of 25-30 goals, not just by adding more goals over whoever he replaces, but also by getting Gabby back to 40 goals and the first line LW to score an extra few goals. Plus, MDZ could add a few goals if he returns to form. Together, they could add 30-35 goals, which would make the Rangers one of the top scoring teams in the NHL in addition to already being one of the top defensive teams.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I don't get how people don't think we have a shot at the division, and if we win the division we have a shot at the conference. I wouldn't put money on it at all, but I just don't like the idea of lowering expectations prematurely. Theoretically we can take the conference. Realistically I don't see why we can't win the division. Who do people think will win it? Can't be the flyers, devils or icelanders. So the pens? Is crosby even ready to play yet? Is Malkin going to be fully healed? Is MAF going to be more good or bad this year? **** that team, no reason we can't beat them.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I don't get how people don't think we have a shot at the division, and if we win the division we have a shot at the conference. I wouldn't put money on it at all, but I just don't like the idea of lowering expectations prematurely. Theoretically we can take the conference. Realistically I don't see why we can't win the division. Who do people think will win it? Can't be the flyers, devils or icelanders. So the pens? Is crosby even ready to play yet? Is Malkin going to be fully healed? Is MAF going to be more good or bad this year? **** that team, no reason we can't beat them.
No reason we can't.

But without Crosby AND Malkin they finished 4th in the conference. With Crosby and Malkin I have no doubt that they would've finished 1st or 2nd in the conference.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No reason we can't.

But without Crosby AND Malkin they finished 4th in the conference. With Crosby and Malkin I have no doubt that they would've finished 1st or 2nd in the conference.
They didn't play us with Brad Richards centering the top line. All our young guys are a year older. And we don't know if the crosby and Malkin they get back are going to the be crosby and Malkin that left. Some injuries change the player even after he comes back. We'll only know if that's the case in time, but especially for crosby I haven't heard good news for him since his concussion.

Old
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Having a shot at the division isn't the same thing as expecting to win the division. Of course we could win it...but we'd need a number of things to break right, and at the moment there are still quite a few questions. Considering we finished 8th last year, and have improved on paper, I think expecting us to finish 4-6 is a legitimate projection.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
darko

4-6 but closer to #6 than to #4. Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington and Tampa are probably 4 best teams in East. Devils played great in 2nd half and get Parise back, they could sneak into that top-4. Philly is a wildcard, they are so hard to predict right now. Buffalo re-tooled in the offseason.

If I had to pick a spot for us I'd say #6

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Boston
4. Tampa
5. New Jersey
6. NY Rangers
7. Philly
8. Buffalo

Then there's Canes and Habs, both good teams and definite playoff contenders. We'll have a dogfight to get into post-season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I actually have Boston slipping out of the top 3 - I think they'll be fourth or fifth, because Thomas won't be quite as insane as he was last year (this is not to say that they still wouldn't be very dangerous in the playoffs). Then, between Pittsburgh's injuries and TB's age, one of them will drop out as well. So... that leaves the Rangers in 3rd behind Washington and one of TB or Pitt. Still don't think they'll compete for the Cup this year, but I see the Rangers producing a dramatic improvement in the standings and perhaps 2 playoff round victories.

I think Tampa is old. They also lost Gagne, which will not help considering that the team relied on its offense. Tampa will likely drop to being a borderline playoff team.

Philly is deeper and better defensively, but not as good offensively. I don't think they will be as good. I don't think they will have over 100 points again.

Boston will continue to be good, though they too will likely slip to below 100 points.

Pitts will continue to be good even though they lost some depth. I assume others will be able to step up.

Buffalo will improve and will likely get 100 points.

Washington will get over 100 points almost certainly.

Montreal, Toronto and NJ (and Tampa) will be the other teams fighting for the remaining two playoff spots.

Washington
Pitts
Boston
Rangers
Buffalo
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Tampa
===========
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Islanders
Carolina
Florida
Winnipeg

I think meeting Buffalo is very likely because we are both staring at the 4-5 spot.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

A legitimate playoff team from this point forward and...

A deep Stanley Cup run sometime in the next two years and hopefully for years thereafter. Once Dubinsky and Callahan are signed the core will be locked down for a long time. This has a chance to be a very (very, very) good run.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:10 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I say we finish 4th.

Something that people should remember is, getting Richards was kind of like acquiring two players. Gaborik had an off year and him playing with BR should help him tremendously. We still made the players with our star player not even at full potential.

Now add another year of development to Dubinsky, Staal, Anisimov, Stepan, and hopefully a bounce back year from Del Zotto and we'll be dangerous.

I think Anisimov and Stepan are going to have huge breakout years.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Ola

With BR, with the kids being a year older while most of them are pretty cheap we will have a really deep team with a lot of strong attributes.

I think it's up to Torts to at get us at worst a top 4 position. At worst. And that's only because a healthy Pitt team might be he best in the league and it shouldnt be reasonable to demand that we compete with them if they fire on all cylinders.

4th -- Ok.
5th -- Sure we could live with that, but this is a Torts team, if it can't even get homeice, things do not look good.
6th -- Unacceptble. A joke.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Just because Richards signs doesnt mean the Rangers are winning the Cup or coming in first in the east or are winning the conference...Look @ SJ and all there talent...anyway..They will finish 5-7 in the East.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think Tampa is old. They also lost Gagne, which will not help considering that the team relied on its offense. Tampa will likely drop to being a borderline playoff team.

Philly is deeper and better defensively, but not as good offensively. I don't think they will be as good. I don't think they will have over 100 points again.

Boston will continue to be good, though they too will likely slip to below 100 points.

Pitts will continue to be good even though they lost some depth. I assume others will be able to step up.

Buffalo will improve and will likely get 100 points.

Washington will get over 100 points almost certainly.

Montreal, Toronto and NJ (and Tampa) will be the other teams fighting for the remaining two playoff spots.

Washington
Pitts
Boston
Rangers
Buffalo
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Tampa
===========
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Islanders
Carolina
Florida
Winnipeg

I think meeting Buffalo is very likely because we are both staring at the 4-5 spot.
I think point totals will be a bit lower this season, almost every team in the conference has improved.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
With BR, with the kids being a year older while most of them are pretty cheap we will have a really deep team with a lot of strong attributes.

I think it's up to Torts to at get us at worst a top 4 position. At worst. And that's only because a healthy Pitt team might be he best in the league and it shouldnt be reasonable to demand that we compete with them if they fire on all cylinders.

4th -- Ok.
5th -- Sure we could live with that, but this is a Torts team, if it can't even get homeice, things do not look good.
6th -- Unacceptble. A joke.
While you have a right to want greatness, you can't expect that we're simply going to move up 3 or 4 spots in the standings because we added one player. I believe we are likely a 4-6 seed, but the difference is often so slim I think it's foolish to believe that 4th place is acceptable and 6th isn't. I mean look at the west this year...are you really saying that Anaheim's 99 point 4th place finish is really that much better than Nashville's 99 point 6th place finish?

The way I see it we didn't make the playoffs 2 seasons ago...this year we barely made it. If we can move up to 6th next season that's an acceptable year, and if we can knock off the 3 seed it's a great year. Would I love to win the division and run the table...of course. Could it happen...sure. But let's be realistic...this is still a young team with limited playoff experience. Rome wasn't built in a day.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Kel Varnsen

Since we clinched the top seed, I thought it was interesting to look back at what the expectations were. This team pretty much beat all the expectations standings wise, but a lot of the individual stuff fell short. Weird think it could work that way, but it just goes to show you there are a lot of different ways to win games.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If everything goes right for this team, we're talking about a group that will probably be contending for first in the division.
First line in the first response.

Just sayin.

Of course not everything went right... and major fail on my part a few posts later saying the Devils aren't a playoff team.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Reading this makes me want to avoid these prediction threads. I guess that's why you play the game on ice and not on paper.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
First line in the first response.

Just sayin.

Of course not everything went right... and major fail on my part a few posts later saying the Devils aren't a playoff team.
Still worth some props, although you couldn't bring yourself to call first in the conference. I was the only one that went that far . I love the guys voting for first now since I've bumped it and we just clinched it. Looking at you Callagraves and useref15 . But to be fair although I was the only first vote, I didn't make the strongest case for it back then.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Giacomin

Great thread! I think they exceeded all of our expectations. 16 Big Wins away starting next Thursday.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote