HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

"Capping Off The Season With Some Playoffs??? Panthers vs. Capitals: 4/5/12

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 02:31 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Jose Theodore you are an amazing goalie and have done an outstanding job getting us to where we are. But the reality is that third goal might be the biggest back breaking goal in the last ten years for the Panthers. This game might just factor in to how long your leash will be in the postseason. You need to find your game if the Panther's want to win a few games in the playoffs. It should be a no brainer that Clemmenson goes against Washington and back to Theodore against Carolina. **** i feel sick after watching that Peg game.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 04-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 02:36 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Jose Theodore you are an amazing goalie and have done an outstanding job getting us to where we are. But the reality is that third goal might be the most back breaking goal in the last ten years for the Panthers. This game might just factor in to how long your leash will be in the postseason. You need to find your game if the Panther's want to win a few games in the playoffs. It should be a no brainer that Clemmenson goes against Washington and back to Theodore against Carolina. **** i feel sick after watching that Peg game.
I honestly still feel sick. I can't even sleep right now. I know that it's not over yet and we still have a good shot of getting into the playoffs, but tonight should have been the night. I wanted to be there for that special moment when 12 years of torment would be erased. Thursday seems like an eternity to me right now. I wouldn't even want to wake up tomorrow if it wasn't for the Marlins Opening Night finally being here.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Vilam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Let me tell you something right now, if every Panthers fan had recorded themselves when Flash had that breakaway we could make an NHL commercial. My dad is a very laid back guy, but when Flash was on the breakaway both me and him were literally jumping up and down, and screaming.
No doubt It would have been a ridiculously incredible way to end the drought and get our first division win.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:44 AM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

And the rollercoaster of joy, anger and sadness continues

Old
04-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
I literally woke up an hr ago sick to my stomach and just threw up! Calling out sick from work! Think it's food poisoning but more likely it's from last nights performance because it's too much of a coincidence.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I honestly still feel sick. I can't even sleep right now. I know that it's not over yet and we still have a good shot of getting into the playoffs, but tonight should have been the night. I wanted to be there for that special moment when 12 years of torment would be erased. Thursday seems like an eternity to me right now. I wouldn't even want to wake up tomorrow if it wasn't for the Marlins Opening Night finally being here.
It's just so disappointing. Flash scoring on the breakaway then have the ice covered in rats would have been incredible.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:23 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Awesome GDT! Let's hope the Cats put just as much effort into the game Thursday night.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:30 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I know everyone is disappointed, sickened, distraught, and rightfully so, but we NEED to remain positive. It all comes down to one point, or a loss by either Washington or Buffalo, which is quite favorable for us. Yeah, we should have put it away last night, and Jose was bad, but it happens, and we need to look at in a positive way, considering we have a MUCH better chance at getting in, than not. What happened last night is in the past, we just need our positive energies to tomorrow nights game.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:34 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
I almost broke my hand when he scored banging on a glass panel in front of me. I was fully prepared to break it if Flash scored on that breakaway.
Psh weak... Get on my level. I threw my laptop on the flash breakaway... It still won't turn on :/

Old
04-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Morning after that loss just thought I'd update you all -- sucks.

Flat out sucks. Since it pretty much all went wrong last night, please Hockey Gods, please let Buffalo lose, and let us win our game.

Old
04-04-2012, 07:29 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I was watching NHL Tonight, and cringing to watch the Panthers highlights, I saw the Flash breakaway and it gave me chills. I never really even saw the breakaway because I was jumping up and down, but if anyone watches it... look at the crowd, everyone is jumping and screaming and raising their hands. It was a really sad moment.

Old
04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
Yes, Panthers hockey is an emotional rollercoaster.. that never ends, and when you think it's over.. it starts all over again..

I was so upset last night, we should have won it. Theo let in two bad goals unfortunately. But after waking up today, I'm feeling okay, because I highly doubt that Buffalo wins in both Philly and Boston. But we are masters of our own destiny, so let's do it thursday!!!! And even if Caps beat us on thursdag, they still need to go to NY and win.

LGP!

Old
04-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I was watching NHL Tonight, and cringing to watch the Panthers highlights, I saw the Flash breakaway and it gave me chills. I never really even saw the breakaway because I was jumping up and down, but if anyone watches it... look at the crowd, everyone is jumping and screaming and raising their hands. It was a really sad moment.
That is the type of moment that would have went into the history. It would have been so epic with a breakaway win with 15 seconds left and taking the division and first playoff clinch in 12 years.

No wonder we can't sell out the arena more often, this team gives their fans heart-attacks.

Old
04-04-2012, 07:53 AM
KWGoon

It's telling that even though we have what should be a commanding 4 pt lead with 2 games to go, no one here really believes we can make it. We all fear and expect the worst.

It's not pessimism, it's what chronic losing does to you.

Let's see what this team is made of, for real. We're all helpless spectators, unfortunately.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
It's telling that even though we have what should be a commanding 4 pt lead with 2 games to go, no one here really believes we can make it. We all fear and expect the worst.

It's not pessimism, it's what chronic losing does to you.

Let's see what this team is made of, for real. We're all helpless spectators, unfortunately.
That is EXACTLY right. This is what losing does to you. You hope for the best, but you have that gut wrenching feeling inside that its all going to go bad.

I am superstitious person, and I believe in karma, jinxes, etc. I believe what goes around, comes around. I know it sounds silly, but I hate when Goldie and Lindsay make comments that shouldnt really be made at that moment, and it makes me feel like the pendulum could swing at any moment afterwards. Its why you dont say shutout late in the 3rd, or speak to a pitcher or mention a no-hitter/perfect game when one is going on, etc. I know the broadcasters job is to keep the listener informed, but please, keep it limited to what is going on on the ice, for one game, please!

Another thing, which might sound stupid to some, is that the Heat and Panthers RARELY win on the same night. Of course one doesnt have ANY type of effect on the other, but if you look at the times that both teams have played on the same night, most nights, one of the two teams lose. So Im happy that the Heat are off tomorrow and Saturday.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:47 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

No words. I think I'm just gonna withdraw to the nearest corner with my can of ben&jerry's and sob..

Old
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Panther fans are like abused spouses...no matter how much abuse we get from other fan bases, how many heart-breaking losses, or how many broken promises from the front office, we always support this team.

Today, I'm not feeling very supportive...still licking my wounds from last night. By game time tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be in my living room, wearing my Panther gear, ready to fully support this team...wearing my heart on my sleeve. Hoping that this time we will finally see the playoffs.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
gizmo12688

If you are still feeling awful about last night, just keep listening to this while looking at the gif. There's no way there won't be a smile on your face, at least if you like South Park anyway.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I'm as mad and upset as anyone but we have to focus on the big picture here. Getting that point was better than the even worse scenario of walking away with nothing.

Here is the defacto way that it all shakes out:
  1. If the Panthers gain a single point against either Washington or Carolina, they will clinch the division. Washington only can get to 92 points max by both beating us and the Rangers in MSG. Just sending a game to overtime ends the nightmare and we all know how good we are at that.
  2. If the Sabres fail to win another game in any way, including OTL or SOL, the Panthers clinch the playoffs. Not the division, but the playoffs. Only the Panthers and Washington can decide the division.
  3. If the Panthers fail to register another point, thus of course losing to Washington in regulation and assuming Washington can defeat the Rangers (they must flat out win in any way), the Panthers will lose the division to the Capitals.
  4. If the Panthers fail to register another point, and both the Capitals and Sabres win out, the Panthers are eliminated from the playoffs.

The final scenario, while possible, is incredibly unlikely. Yes I know we all think we've got what it takes to screw this up. It doesn't really matter because we aren't the only ones who are worried about screwing it up. Fortune favors us.

Buffalo must defeat BOTH the Flyers, who are indeed jockeying for position anywhere from 4th to 6th, IN Philadelphia and the Bruins IN Boston. Boston of course has little left to play for at this point though that should mean hungry young players (and a really bad Turco, yikes). If they are successful, this can only net them the 8th and final playoff spot.

Washington must defeat BOTH the Panthers IN REGULATION at home and the Rangers IN New York. The Rangers likely have little left to play for but technically may have to keep fighting if they want the President's Trophy and home-ice advantage for the rest of the playoffs. If the Caps are successful, they win the division. Otherwise they must fight Buffalo for 8th, which again favors the Caps.

Another thing to think is, if it's getting late on in the Panthers/Caps game and it's tied late in the 3rd, it is in the best interest of BOTH teams to send it to OT. Yeah it takes away the Caps' shot at the division, but it helps make their chances of not missing it completely that much better. They own the tiebreaker over the Sabres. Plus at that point, the Panthers literally have nothing to play for beyond playoff readiness, they will be locked to 3rd.

Also to note, Panthers lose the ROW tiebreaker to both Caps and Sabres, so it's all about points.

/collapses

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Old
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Laus723
Future Now

snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory for twelve years and counting. If there's a way to screw it up...we'll find it! Rest assured.

04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
KWGoon

Y'all are echoing what I'm saying.

We have a 4-pt cushion and expect the worst.

If we were in either Buf's or Cap's position, and Buf or Caps were in ours, never in a million years would we believe that they would lose both games and we could get in.

IOW, others will tell us, we're borderline insane for believing in the most unlikely.

However, buf plays two teams that don't really care. Wash plays us and a team that doesn't really care.

We play wash and a team on a major roll. Clearly, the deck is stacked against us. We don't want to believe it, but there it is.

We had the easy setup last night. We chose the hard trial by fire instead. We're your Floriduh Pansies!

Old
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
If you are still feeling awful about last night, just keep listening to this while looking at the gif. There's no way there won't be a smile on your face, at least if you like South Park anyway.
Thanks!

Took me 6 seconds.

-L-

Old
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

this is like listening to a broken record over and over again. I remember 08-09 like it was yesterday. Our nhl playoff odds chances stood again at 99.4% we had a road game in atlanta (Go figure) where i think we let the lead slip away and they beat us in OT.

I know it says 99.4% but something tells me that .6% is going to come back and haunt us big time.

This is turning into 08/09 all over again.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
this is like listening to a broken record over and over again. I remember 08-09 like it was yesterday. Our nhl playoff odds chances stood again at 99.4% we had a road game in atlanta (Go figure) where i think we let the lead slip away and they beat us in OT.

I know it says 99.4% but something tells me that .6% is going to come back and haunt us big time.

This is turning into 08/09 all over again.
Don't be ridiculous. This would be WAY more of an epic collapse than 08/09

Old
04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
I'm as mad and upset as anyone but we have to focus on the big picture here. Getting that point was better than the even worse scenario of walking away with nothing.

Here is the defacto way that it all shakes out:
  1. If the Panthers gain a single point against either Washington or Carolina, they will clinch the division. Washington only can get to 92 points max by both beating us and the Rangers in MSG. Just sending a game to overtime ends the nightmare and we all know how good we are at that.
  2. If the Sabres fail to win another game in any way, including OTL or SOL, the Panthers clinch the playoffs. Not the division, but the playoffs. Only the Panthers and Washington can decide the division.
  3. If the Panthers fail to register another point, thus of course losing to Washington in regulation and assuming Washington can defeat the Rangers (they must flat out win in any way), the Panthers will lose the division to the Capitals.
  4. If the Panthers fail to register another point, and both the Capitals and Sabres win out, the Panthers are eliminated from the playoffs.

The final scenario, while possible, is incredibly unlikely. Yes I know we all think we've got what it takes to screw this up. It doesn't really matter because we aren't the only ones who are worried about screwing it up. Fortune favors us.

Buffalo must defeat BOTH the Flyers, who are indeed jockeying for position anywhere from 4th to 6th, IN Philadelphia and the Bruins IN Boston. Boston of course has little left to play for at this point though that should mean hungry young players (and a really bad Turco, yikes). If they are successful, this can only net them the 8th and final playoff spot.

Washington must defeat BOTH the Panthers IN REGULATION at home and the Rangers IN New York. The Rangers likely have little left to play for but technically may have to keep fighting if they want the President's Trophy and home-ice advantage for the rest of the playoffs. If the Caps are successful, they win the division. Otherwise they must fight Buffalo for 8th, which again favors the Caps.

Another thing to think is, if it's getting late on in the Panthers/Caps game and it's tied late in the 3rd, it is in the best interest of BOTH teams to send it to OT. Yeah it takes away the Caps' shot at the division, but it helps make their chances of not missing it completely that much better. They own the tiebreaker over the Sabres. Plus at that point, the Panthers literally have nothing to play for beyond playoff readiness, they will be locked to 3rd.

Also to note, Panthers lose the ROW tiebreaker to both Caps and Sabres, so it's all about points.

/collapses
To me, it isn't about the odds... I think we are all good enough mathematicians to understand the numbers and understand that one point is still that much closer to our first playoff spot in years... We all understand that !

But we are all in puke-mode... And you shouldn't feel any better... We shouldn't have lost this game, that's why we're made... With this kind of context we just couldn't lose that game... Yet we found a way !

Weiss' birthday, the building being packed and loud first time in years, the opponent (Winnipeg is one of the worst road-team this year), the score after nearly two periods, the domination and enthusiasm we showed through those two periods...

We just couldn't lose that game, but we found a way. It's disgusting !

Fleischmann's breakaway is the epitome of Panthers hockey for years... We have never been able to convert on a breakaway since Pavel Bure left... We all got excited, but we all knew how it would turn out !

We just can't miss the playoffs... But still, we may found a way... That's depressing !

Closed Thread