HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason recon part 2

View Poll Results: Mod edit: removed
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Would you guys give up a 2nd round pick for Colin Wilson?!
can we get them to throw in Lindback?

Old
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Psychoil

uhh yah i'd give up quite a bit for colin wilson, hes a big two way center than can actually play defence too, then again he is coached by a good coach, we'd probably ruin him if he came over.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:48 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
uhh yah i'd give up quite a bit for colin wilson, hes a big two way center than can actually play defence too, then again he is coached by a good coach, we'd probably ruin him if he came over.
That good coach is the reason Wilson might be available. Trotz doesn't appear to like him much. Which, I'll admit, is a minor red flag. Still, I would definitely be ok if we gave up our 2nd+ for him. I am not sure he is a C anymore even though he's listed as such. He certainly isn't used often on the draw because he's only taken 75 faceoffs this year. But he would add some needed size to our top 6.

2nd 2012 + Eager for Wilson, Omark + Ana 2nd 2013 for J Schultz, draft Murray, sign Harding.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Wilson - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Paajarvi
Hartikainen - Belanger - Jones
Hordichuk, Petrell

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Schultz
Schultz - Murray
Sutton

Harding/Dubnyk

Old
04-04-2012, 12:50 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That good coach is the reason Wilson might be available. Trotz doesn't appear to like him much. Which, I'll admit, is a minor red flag. Still, I would definitely be ok if we gave up our 2nd+ for him. I am not sure he is a C anymore even though he's listed as such. He certainly isn't used often on the draw because he's only taken 75 faceoffs this year. But he would add some needed size to our top 6.

2nd 2012 + Eager for Wilson, Omark + Ana 2nd 2013 for J Schultz, draft Murray, sign Harding.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Wilson - Gagner - Hemsky
Hordichuk, Petrell

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Schultz
Schultz - Murray
Sutton

Harding/Dubnyk
Where did Khabi go? I don't think Katz wants to pay another 4 million to a guy to play in the AHL. As for the other moves, I'd rather move Belanger in that deal than Eager.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:51 AM
JustinCider

also which Schultz is which, I sure hope the rookies aren't playing together.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think this is the offseason Tambo decides to go for it.

I fully expect he'll offer our first rounder in a package deal for a top defenseman, and our other picks may well be in play as well for depth forwards.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-04-2012, 01:01 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Where did Khabi go? I don't think Katz wants to pay another 4 million to a guy to play in the AHL. As for the other moves, I'd rather move Belanger in that deal than Eager.
There are a number of teams that will be looking for goalies this summer. Someone will take a flyer on a vet backup with only 1 year left and a cup ring. An example is a Brown + Bernier trade for Nash and then LA picks up Khabby to backup Quick.

And if we can't move him, Katz didn't have a problem sending Souray down, why should we automatically assume he wouldn't allow the same for Khabby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
also which Schultz is which, I sure hope the rookies aren't playing together.
Yup rookies together. Chicago style D with the top 4 getting the lion's share and the kids getting select minutes and PP time until their feet get wet. If they absolutely can't handle even limited minutes then split them up. But ideally yes, kids together with limited minutes.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizan View Post
Everyone seems to be hating on Eager, Belanger and Barker. Seems like Tambellini really struck out with the off season free agent signings. Well I should say Lowe because after watching Oil Change I became even more convinced that Tambellini is just Lowe's little puppet. Can anyone tell me how he not only kept his job when everyone was getting fired but actually got a promotion? The biggest off season move the Oilers can make would be to FIRE KEVIN LOWE!!!
I agree. The Oilers will never be anything until he is gone.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Arpeggio

I can't see Belanger coming back next season, he's been a complete bust and they're going to try to move him. Eager, I've had a sense that he's not happy here, so wouldn't be surprised to see him gone either. I don't have any problem with the Oilers moving on from players like these, despite having years left on their contract. I like the idea of Eager on this team, but if he's a ****** teammate, screw him. Belanger I think the team will just want to move on from.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:51 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I think this is the offseason Tambo decides to go for it.

I fully expect he'll offer our first rounder in a package deal for a top defenseman, and our other picks may well be in play as well for depth forwards.
I'm not trying to start a ****-storm here, but I think this is a unique landscape at the top of the draft this year. Since the Habs are at the bottom hopefully only for this season, and the Oilers' rebuild stalling a little bit this year (I know injuries were big), is there any possibility of making my dream of the Habs acquiring Edmonton's 1st pick without giving up their own?

Again, don't explode on me, it's terribly hard to put a value on very high first round picks, which is why most GM's usually just end up keeping them. That being said, I'll try a proposal...it will seem extreme, and that's probably because it is. In this proposal, I'm implying that the Oilers would want immediate star help on the blueline, offensive talent to replace what is lost with this draft pick, as well as a later pick to compensate. Also, salary relief going either way to even things out. What about something along the lines of:

To Montreal:

Edmonton's 2012 1st rouder
Shawn Horcoff
Eric Belanger

To Edmonton:

Andrei Markov
Tomas Plekanec
2012 2nd rounder

From a Hab point of view, while it would hurt to see Markov and Plekanec go, Montreal is in a mini-rebuild, and they could really speed that up by getting two top 5 picks this year (you never know, ok!). It gives Edmonon immediate veteran talent, with Plekanec in his prime as a top two-way player in the league. Markov, while still a question mark with the knee, having only played a dozen games since coming back, still has to be considered one the the premier power-play players in the game, not to mention one of it's best overall defencemen over the past decade. I really think that with this type of added veteran presence and talent (Plekanec is a large upgrade on Horcoff), and with one more Ryan Smyth-like forward, the Oilers could approach contendership as soon as next season.

Ok, I'm done. Flame away.

Last edited by benji: 04-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 03:08 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
benji, not that bad but some context. We're already stuck with too many small skill forwards and often injured defenseman. I doubt the Oil would want Plekanec. Markov is very tempting, but I think Tambo doesn't chance it with his neck now on the line and fans expecting results (healthy team helps that).

Old
04-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

That's a pretty tempting proposal from my POV. Yes, there is a risk with Markov, but exchanging Horcoff for Plekenac is just incredibly tempting. If Markov can get anywhere close to his pre-injury form, he's an immediate top pairing guy on this team. It fast-tracks the rebuild by at least 2-3 years.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:07 AM
JustinCider

A healthy Markov, maybe. But we're talking about a Markov who's basically hasn't played the last 2 years, and is only signed for 2 more seasons. Ya, we get rid of Horcoff, but this team is not and will not be a cap team for at least 2 more years, and by that time Horcoff will movable, bought out or something. I do not like this deal at all. Switch Markov to Subban and then maybe we can talk.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:25 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Honestly, I've never been a Plekanec fan. Always thought he was overrated due to the market he plays in. But maybe that's just me.

As for Markov, he's the defensive version of Hemsky. Great skill set, but incredibly injury prone....which makes it hard for any team to justify giving up an acceptable return.

Losing Horcoff's contract would be nice, but it's not crippling us just yet. And I don't like the idea of moving a top 3 pick/potential cornerstone of the franchise for some aging vets. It is a rebuild after all.

Gotta agree with JustinCider. If the Habs want the pick without giving up their own 1st, Subban has to be in the discussion.

BTW, I'm not saying the value is terrible...just that it doesn't make a lot of sense for a rebuilding team.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I can't see Belanger coming back next season, he's been a complete bust and they're going to try to move him. Eager, I've had a sense that he's not happy here, so wouldn't be surprised to see him gone either. I don't have any problem with the Oilers moving on from players like these, despite
having years left on their contract. I like the idea of Eager on this team, but if he's a ****** teammate, screw him. Belanger I think the team will just want to move on from.
I like eager here, but renney didn't or wouldn't use him effectively. I think renney likes to win games "fair and square" with pure skill and no tough guys determining the outcome. IMO Eagar can skate very well and should have been given shifts on the top 2 lines when the games get chippy. Like the came against Philly about a month ago, when Hartnell was pretending he was a lumberjack. Eagar should be out there protecting and causing havoc.
E

Old
04-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
I like eager here, but renney didn't or wouldn't use him effectively. I think renney likes to win games "fair and square" with pure skill and no tough guys determining the outcome. IMO Eagar can skate very well and should have been given shifts on the top 2 lines when the games get chippy. Like the came against Philly about a month ago, when Hartnell was pretending he was a lumberjack. Eagar should be out there protecting and causing havoc.
E
I myself thought he would have done nothing. He is uninterested out there. I feel he thinks that he himself is a top 6 scorer.

Is that what you think by using him effectively? Is to put him in the top 6?

I admit, I was glad he signed as an Oiler, but he was not the player I thought he would be. He hasn't been 'protecting' any teammates other than himself.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
I myself thought he would have done nothing. He is uninterested out there. I feel he thinks that he himself is a top 6 scorer.

Is that what you think by using him effectively? Is to put him in the top 6?

I admit, I was glad he signed as an Oiler, but he was not the player I thought he would be. He hasn't been 'protecting' any teammates other than himself.
Maybe he needs to feel that he is going to be given a bigger role. Instead of a 3rd liner and never moving, throw him on the 1/2 line a few shifts a game to "set the tone" check a few opposing players through the boards, ect. I just really feel that he was misused all season long and he could have been pouting. It starts with coaching and what role renney wanted him to play.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'm not trying to start a ****-storm here, but I think this is a unique landscape at the top of the draft this year. Since the Habs are at the bottom hopefully only for this season, and the Oilers' rebuild stalling a little bit this year (I know injuries were big), is there any possibility of making my dream of the Habs acquiring Edmonton's 1st pick without giving up their own?

Again, don't explode on me, it's terribly hard to put a value on very high first round picks, which is why most GM's usually just end up keeping them. That being said, I'll try a proposal...it will seem extreme, and that's probably because it is. In this proposal, I'm implying that the Oilers would want immediate star help on the blueline, offensive talent to replace what is lost with this draft pick, as well as a later pick to compensate. Also, salary relief going either way to even things out. What about something along the lines of:

To Montreal:

Edmonton's 2012 1st rouder
Shawn Horcoff
Eric Belanger

To Edmonton:

Andrei Markov
Tomas Plekanec
2012 2nd rounder

From a Hab point of view, while it would hurt to see Markov and Plekanec go, Montreal is in a mini-rebuild, and they could really speed that up by getting two top 5 picks this year (you never know, ok!). It gives Edmonon immediate veteran talent, with Plekanec in his prime as a top two-way player in the league. Markov, while still a question mark with the knee, having only played a dozen games since coming back, still has to be considered one the the premier power-play players in the game, not to mention one of it's best overall defencemen over the past decade. I really think that with this type of added veteran presence and talent (Plekanec is a large upgrade on Horcoff), and with one more Ryan Smyth-like forward, the Oilers could approach contendership as soon as next season.

Ok, I'm done. Flame away.
Nope. There's a very limited number of players I would consider trading our 1st for, and Markov and/or Plekanec don't fit the bill.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Wilson for a 2nd? Would people take a 2nd for PRV?

Old
04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I can't see Belanger coming back next season, he's been a complete bust and they're going to try to move him. Eager, I've had a sense that he's not happy here, so wouldn't be surprised to see him gone either. I don't have any problem with the Oilers moving on from players like these, despite having years left on their contract. I like the idea of Eager on this team, but if he's a ****** teammate, screw him. Belanger I think the team will just want to move on from.
Belanger hasn't been a bust. He's a bust to people that play fantasy hockey pools.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
E
I know that people and Eager think he should've been used more, but every time his minutes went up he became injured with day-to-day back spasms. I just don't know that he can play 15 minutes a night for too many games.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
E
I'd agree, but Eager has shown nothing to stand up for teammates or go after the other team physically. The only time I've ever seen Eager engage in anything is when a player from the other team took a shot on Eager, like Nolan in the LA game.

Even in very limited minutes, you know Hordichuk is gonna make the most of his couple shifts.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
That's a pretty tempting proposal from my POV. Yes, there is a risk with Markov, but exchanging Horcoff for Plekenac is just incredibly tempting. If Markov can get anywhere close to his pre-injury form, he's an immediate top pairing guy on this team. It fast-tracks the rebuild by at least 2-3 years.
Not tempting at all IMO.

Plekanec is a good player but he is NOT what we need and Markov is damaged goods.
I don't think that the need to dump Horcoff is that great to give up the chance to draft a core player by trading a top 3 pick for a small center and a fairly old, oft injured defenseman. In fact, the trade is brutal the more i think about it.
It's Subban or bust if we are trading the pick to Montreal.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Wilson - Gagner - Hemsky
Hordichuk, Petrell

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Schultz
Schultz - Murray
Sutton

Harding/Dubnyk
If we get Schultz, Dumba would be the guy to draft.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
ponokanocker

People need to realize how much it is actually going to cost to get Schultz. Erixon was the last player to nearly leave his team with nothing and Schultz is probably considered a better prospect than he was at the time. It cost the NYR's 2 2nd rounders and Horak for Erixon and a 5th. I'm not sure the value Horak had, but he was a 5th rounder who had a much better year after being drafted. This is going to cost us more than an early 2nd rounder and/or Omark.

Closed Thread