HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline Hockey tip thread

Old
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Inline Hockey tip thread

I did a search and went about 4 pages deep before I gave up, so forgive me if this exists.

So I have started playing inline hockey, right now the best ive got is 4 on 4 half rink with a goalie.

so there is very little space and im wondering if it is going to hurt or help me in the long run. i have yet to get by someone 1 on 1, and this is a skill that i definitely want to add to my tools, but in this instance even if i get by him ill just run into another players stick most likely.

also im playing on smooth concrete, how much does this differ from sport court in terms of protecting the puck.

if i go around someone and use one arm to cradle the puck away from someone on smooth concrete i feel that its taking a lot more work then on a surface with less friction, but i could be wrong on this.

anyway, those are just some of my newbie gripes that i havent really found a fix to yet.

think of this as a tip thread for the minor nuances in roller hockey that dont exist in ice hockey.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I did a search and went about 4 pages deep before I gave up, so forgive me if this exists.

So I have started playing inline hockey, right now the best ive got is 4 on 4 half rink with a goalie.

so there is very little space and im wondering if it is going to hurt or help me in the long run. i have yet to get by someone 1 on 1, and this is a skill that i definitely want to add to my tools, but in this instance even if i get by him ill just run into another players stick most likely.

also im playing on smooth concrete, how much does this differ from sport court in terms of protecting the puck.

if i go around someone and use one arm to cradle the puck away from someone on smooth concrete i feel that its taking a lot more work then on a surface with less friction, but i could be wrong on this.

anyway, those are just some of my newbie gripes that i havent really found a fix to yet.

think of this as a tip thread for the minor nuances in roller hockey that dont exist in ice hockey.
I also play on a smaller surface, but it is a sport court. Generally it will help you more than you think. You will have to make quicker decisions with the puck, have faster hands to deke around players, and be able to accelerate faster than you would on a full size court. When you move to a larger area you will find that you have more time with the puck and make a better decision and you will use what space you have much more effectively.

Smooth concrete differs moreso because its a much harder playing surface. the puck will bounce a little more and the puck will definitely move slower and have more reisistance on the concrete versus the sport court. Not to mention you concrete would call for you to use outdoor-hardness wheels whereas indoors you have a much softer, more gripping wheel.

What I find to work the best is practicing close, in tight stick handling. Less skating room=less stick room and the closer you keep the puck to your body the easier it will be to proctect it. Unless you are a superior skater and can get around a defender you are better off trying to cut/weave into the middle with a thread-the-needle type deke. I play defense in inline and going to the outside is pretty useless unless you have to speed to get around them, otherwise they will just ride you into the corner.

bigbadbruins1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Rebels21

would you recommend buying more expensive wheels? i play on an outdoor rink thats riddled in cracks and dirt and my wheels are quickly breaking on me.

Rebels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:37 AM
izzy3

If you don't have much space try to move that puck around (passing) instead just carrying it. I agree that smaller rinks make you a better player cause you do not have much time to decide what to do.

My tips:
- try not to think much, play instinctively
- it is usually better to pass backwards in the offensive zone, creates space and open shooting lanes
- try to learn stickhandling head up, opens up a new dimension to your play

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:43 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
If you don't have much space try to move that puck around (passing) instead just carrying it. I agree that smaller rinks make you a better player cause you do not have much time to decide what to do.

My tips:
- try not to think much, play instinctively
- it is usually better to pass backwards in the offensive zone, creates space and open shooting lanes
- try to learn stickhandling head up, opens up a new dimension to your play
yea definitely agree in regards to passing. i have to learn to handle the puck under pressure though, and 4 on 4 pick up games are great because their is no consequences. most of the time ill pass, but every now and then i want to try to beat the guy in front of me.

as for the guy who asked about wheels, i just recently bought labeda shooters for outdoor use and they are a lot better than the soft indoor wheels. so id say splash some cash if you are going to be predominately outdoors.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels21 View Post
would you recommend buying more expensive wheels? i play on an outdoor rink thats riddled in cracks and dirt and my wheels are quickly breaking on me.
That's the worst possible type of rink. The dirt/dust on the rink leads me to suggest getting a softer wheel so that you grip more. But if there are larger chunks of dirt and with the cracks, I would want to suggest a harder wheel so that they don't break easily. Your best bet will most likely be the Labeda Shooters, as someone mentioned previously. They grip pretty well, but they're a solid wheel.

markisonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels21 View Post
If its tile, then get some decently priced wheels.

Buying $13 wheels are stupid if you weigh too much. All they will do is crack and break, regardless of the type (Labeda or Rink Rats). If you're a small guy, x/xx soft are good. If you're between 185-200, i could go with just soft or medium wheels, which arent overly expensive.

If you're playing on concrete, you need outdoor wheels.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote