HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Hockey on the Boards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
  #1
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Hockey on the Boards

This is a thread to talk about whichever league you may play in and/or to discuss happenings at the rink by those of us who play or have youngsters who play.

Who still plays? What leagues are you playing in? Who used to play? At what level?

Share stories about past glory or about how much alcohol you put down before or after you go float.

I think it would be nice to talk about teams that make us happy while the jackets are donezo for the season. (Mods - feel free to move this if you want.. I wasn't sure if it deserved its own thread).


wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
  #2
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,395
vCash: 500
I don't play and never have, but I think this is a great idea for a thread. I'll be very interested to read about the levels of experience that posters have in their backgrounds. The hockey knowledge displayed here is impressive and I've often wondered how much of it was gained through actual participation.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:36 PM
  #3
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I don't play and never have, but I think this is a great idea for a thread. I'll be very interested to read about the levels of experience that posters have in their backgrounds. The hockey knowledge displayed here is impressive and I've often wondered how much of it was gained through actual participation.


I can start it off since no one else has.

I played roller growing up for the Columbus Bandits and then I played high school ice hockey for Olentangy and quit playing in 2004 when I graduated because of some serious injuries playing lacrosse that year. This past year I got back out on the ice for the first time since my girlfriend and many of my friends play at various levels for Ohio State. As I have mentioned before, I help coach the ASHA/CCYHA Special Needs Jackets hockey team here in Columbus and am in the process of getting my USA Hockey Coaching Certification to coach other youngsters as well.

As far as playing right now, I will be playing C League this upcoming CAHL summer session with girls from the OSU varsity and club teams (we are "Stacked Like Pancakes" if anyone has to play against us). We should be in B or C East (and Martin still may put us there ), but we are embracing the beer aspect of beer league. We/I also will be playing intramural at OSU.


EDIT - I am a winger (I prefer left and I shoot right) and I try my best to play a solid two-way game like my boyfriend Ryan Kesler so I usually am middle of the pack in points for forwards, but I make up for it defensively.


Last edited by wahsnairb: 03-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.
wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
  #4
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Played in-line for a couple of years, goalie.. Then went on to ice hockey for a few months but tore a MCL and that was it for me.. I was in my late 40's at the time. I was a decent goalie, Mason like, they called me swiss cheese.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:36 PM
  #5
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
I play in the Sun D West B and Thurs D West. I started playing ice hockey 8 years ago and had played dek hockey for about 7 years prior (before it moved down to Granview)

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
  #6
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Grew up when hockey wasn't the "in thing" in Columbus, but the folks that did play were dedicated and loved the game. Started out playing roller hockey at Sportsite on Henderson Rd. (no longer in operation, sad), and moved on to ice hockey at around 12-13 years old. Played house league with CAHA, and at one point skated with a AAA selects team from the house league as a bantam. That was my highest level.

As a 16 year old, partially tore the ACL in my right leg, and after that season, never played competitively again. Today, I play B league rec hockey here in Spokane, and I'm proud to say that I am possibly the best defensive forward in the entire area. I play center (as I always have since around 14 ... started out as a defenseman); I pride myself on winning 70% of my faceoffs on a regular basis, being the quickest player on the ice, and making sure that the other team's best players don't leave the rink in a good mood ... or, at least, with no points . On top of being so good defensively, I did score 35 goals in the league a couple of years ago, on a 25 (or so) game schedule.

In retrospect, I was probably a better player when I was younger than I thought I was. I had been invited to an open tryout with the OHL, an honor only bestowed to a handful of kids from our area, but I didn't end up going for whatever reason.

I play for fun, competition, and the camaraderie that comes with spending time with the boys. My fondest memories are of heavy losses that brought us together for thrilling wins (including one championship season that I'll never forget). I'm 27 years old now, have two young daughters, and can't wait to teach them how to play hockey.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  #7
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Grew up when hockey wasn't the "in thing" in Columbus, but the folks that did play were dedicated and loved the game. Started out playing roller hockey at Sportsite on Henderson Rd. (no longer in operation, sad), and moved on to ice hockey at around 12-13 years old. Played house league with CAHA, and at one point skated with a AAA selects team from the house league as a bantam. That was my highest level.

As a 16 year old, partially tore the ACL in my right leg, and after that season, never played competitively again. Today, I play B league rec hockey here in Spokane, and I'm proud to say that I am possibly the best defensive forward in the entire area. I play center (as I always have since around 14 ... started out as a defenseman); I pride myself on winning 70% of my faceoffs on a regular basis, being the quickest player on the ice, and making sure that the other team's best players don't leave the rink in a good mood ... or, at least, with no points . On top of being so good defensively, I did score 35 goals in the league a couple of years ago, on a 25 (or so) game schedule.

In retrospect, I was probably a better player when I was younger than I thought I was. I had been invited to an open tryout with the OHL, an honor only bestowed to a handful of kids from our area, but I didn't end up going for whatever reason.

I play for fun, competition, and the camaraderie that comes with spending time with the boys. My fondest memories are of heavy losses that brought us together for thrilling wins (including one championship season that I'll never forget). I'm 27 years old now, have two young daughters, and can't wait to teach them how to play hockey.
I'm excited for the day A comes back to Columbus so I can say I play B instead of C haha.. right now it is B, C, C2, D, and E.. makes no sense.

It sounds like injuries killed all of our dreams of going pro! Not fair.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #8
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
I grew up in Columbus, so there was really no hockey around. Didnt start dek until I was 23, so didnt start ice until I was 30....so never got to learn as a kid

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
  #9
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
I'm excited for the day A comes back to Columbus so I can say I play B instead of C haha.. right now it is B, C, C2, D, and E.. makes no sense.

It sounds like injuries killed all of our dreams of going pro! Not fair.
The A league here is surprisingly good ... this year they mixed our league with the A league because there weren't enough teams. On occasion, you can catch former Florida first rounder Ty Jones on the ice ... Spokane is quietly a very good hockey town.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:06 PM
  #10
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
I started playing before kindergarten as any self-respecting Canadian kid growing up at the time did. Played pretty competitively all through childhood and teenage years (AAA travel teams, etc). Played with/against a handful of players who made the bigs, many more who toiled in the minors. I never played pro or major junior A hockey (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), though.

I basically stopped playing (other than pickup games now and then) around age 21, after playing junior B for 3 years (my hometown didn't have a junior A team, junior B is probably somewhat analogous to Tier II junior hockey in the US), in order to focus completely on my schooling. Then got married, had kids, got a job, etc, etc, and almost 20 years have passed since my competitive playing days. I started skating a bit more again the last few months, and now my kids are playing so it's been great to be back at the rink (other than Nationwide) on a regular basis.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 PM
  #11
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated
 
ThisIsMyAlibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
I played high school ice hockey for Olentangy.
I also went to Olentangy. 08 graduate.


Last edited by ThisIsMyAlibi: 03-30-2012 at 11:44 PM.
ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:08 AM
  #12
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
The A league here is surprisingly good ... this year they mixed our league with the A league because there weren't enough teams. On occasion, you can catch former Florida first rounder Ty Jones on the ice ... Spokane is quietly a very good hockey town.
I caught it, don't worry (He was a first-rounder of Chicago)

Between Ty Jones and the class of second-rounders from either 95 or 96 of Peters, Paul, and Royer, I remember the excitement. I don't think the four of them combined had a full season's worth of NHL games.

Ah, the simple joys of having a Blackhawks-loving friend back in those days.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:48 AM
  #13
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I caught it, don't worry (He was a first-rounder of Chicago)

Between Ty Jones and the class of second-rounders from either 95 or 96 of Peters, Paul, and Royer, I remember the excitement. I don't think the four of them combined had a full season's worth of NHL games.

Ah, the simple joys of having a Blackhawks-loving friend back in those days.
Another WHL first round NHL phenom.

Sorry. I just had to

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:24 AM
  #14
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,148
vCash: 500
Saw a mention of Sportsite above...that place had the weirdest smell for a roller rink that I can remember. And I'm pretty sure if I close my eyes and think about it, I can smell it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Another WHL first round NHL phenom.

Sorry. I just had to
I had to look it up...Jones was the 6th-leading scorer on his own team the year he was drafted, and the most penalized player with the exception of the completely useless Brad Ference.


Last edited by Mayor Bee: 03-31-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:30 AM
  #15
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Started playing CAHA house league in 73-74 at the fairgrounds coliseum at the age of 8. Mom got my brother and I skating a year prior. Learned of the travel team and the next fall tried out and made it. Played two years each of squirts peewees bantams (captain 2nd year bantam team) CAHA travel.

Two years before I started high school at Arlington, a hockey team was formed there and I played three years for Arlington 81-83, captain my senior year. It was the only high school team in Central Ohio at the time, Centerville being the next closest. Moeller had a team, the rest all being Northern Ohio. (The high school jerseys hanging near the main entrance inside Nationwide Arena, very cool).

Played one season for the club team at Ohio University. I wasn't planning on trying out not thinking I could make it but i did, and made the team. Stopped playing after that one year at OU. Long story, haven't played organized hockey since.

I played defense. I wasn't what would be known as a puck moving dman, more of a stay at home type who liked to clear the net. I usually made a good first pass, and I had a pretty good point shot. I wasn't good enough to play at the higher levels and knew it.

Hockey in Columbus in the early 70's until the Blue Jackets were announced in 1997 was a very fringe sport. OSU had collegiate hockey and the Columbus Owls were the minor league IHL team at the time. As a kid I was able to see quite a few Owls games along with members of the youth teams I played for. As a young teenager I was lucky to be a stick boy at home games for a couple of years for the Buckeyes. That allowed me to stand next to the trainers during games, when my schedule allowed.

The amount of kids playing youth hockey in Columbus back then could not match the talent of cities well north of Columbus and was no match for the Toledos and Clevelands and all of the smaller burbs in between. The teams I played for growing up usually got beaten by most of these teams. Played some out of state teams too, like Carmel,
Indiana, Fort Wayne, Indy, Detroit, Pittsburg, Erie, Knoxville.

There were four ice rinks in town and ice time was always at a premium. Most years we were lucky to get two practices a week, while playing two games a weekend during the season. The Coliseum at the fairgrounds where I first played house league. OSU had the undersized rink where the Buckeyes played. Iceland was next to Gold Circle, which sold out to Riverside Hospital, for warehouse space, in the late 70s. Ice Chalet on Shrock Rd had two ice surfaces, one of which was about a half sheet.

Without parents who are sacrificial with their time and money, hockey for young kids isn't possible. My dad made all of my home games and only missed but a couple of my away games. He made it down to Huntsville Alabama when the OU team I played for made the club national tournament.

With hockey I made many friends and have had a lifelong bond with my dad that I wouldn't trade for the world. (He started getting into hockey when he lived in Rochester NY, going to Rochester Americans games early to late1960s). I was estatic when it was announced that an NHL team was coming to town, especially after a couple of failed sales tax bond issues.

That is my connection and where my love of the best game on earth comes from. Sorry if I bored you to death!

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
  #16
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I caught it, don't worry (He was a first-rounder of Chicago)

Between Ty Jones and the class of second-rounders from either 95 or 96 of Peters, Paul, and Royer, I remember the excitement. I don't think the four of them combined had a full season's worth of NHL games.

Ah, the simple joys of having a Blackhawks-loving friend back in those days.
Confused with Brad Ference, my apologies.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:22 PM
  #17
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Confused with Brad Ference, my apologies.
Does he still look like a radiation victim?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:34 PM
  #18
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Does he still look like a radiation victim?
Yes. Yes he does.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
  #19
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,148
vCash: 500
For those who don't remember the joys of Brad Ference, here's the back of a Bowman CHL Chrome card from around his draft year. This is why I could remember 3/4 of the players in the CHL, and not what I had in breakfast.

Notice also that he's listed at 6'3" and 170 pounds.


Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:49 PM
  #20
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
For those who don't remember the joys of Brad Ference, here's the back of a Bowman CHL Chrome card from around his draft year. This is why I could remember 3/4 of the players in the CHL, and not what I had in breakfast.

Notice also that he's listed at 6'3" and 170 pounds.

Guys like this are a ringing endorsement for why you can't weigh players heavily on one year of junior hockey. This is a big concern of mine with Ryan Johansen ... I'm a big fan of the kid, and I think he has the tools, but does he have the developmental experience? I also have to question Todd Richards' handling of him this season.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
  #21
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
this got derailed! i want to find out which of you guys are studs!

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
  #22
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
this got derailed! i want to find out which of you guys are studs!
Hey now, let's try to keep this discussion to which of us here plays hockey...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
  #23
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
started playing around 6, was a very good house player for a long time up until I was 13, i should have moved up to A or AA but never did.. quit because i was more focused on video games at the time (ugh) and started playing again the end of my senior year.. i own my C league in northwest indiana and am looking to play club hockey at purdue next year

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
  #24
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
my playoff beard itches...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.