HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Brock Nelson Agrees to Entry Level Contract

Old
04-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
Is Ryan Malone a good comparison to Brock?

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:31 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Is Ryan Malone a good comparison to Brock?
Nelson a much better passer, better on-ice vision. I think Nelson might be a better skater but Malone is a pretty close example of what Nelson might be in the NHL. Way too soon to tell though. Nelson has some Getzlaf in his game, in a good way.

I hate comparisons and it obviously depends heavily on development (both what the NYI do for Brock and what Brock does for himself, dedication, work ethic, etc) - but based on style of play, strengths/weaknesses, potential or realistic upside - I'd say Ryan Malone is in the ball-park with Getzlaf a stretch. Off the top of my head anyway.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:41 AM
IslesNorway

Best of luck Brock!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM
sioux210

im sorry guys im just trying to warn you, this is a huge mistake, he absolutly needed another year at UND, i live in north dakota and i watch every single game, this might just ruin his developement, i really dont get this move, his season at und this year wasnt even that great compared to what he would be able to do next year, hes not big enough or strong enough yet and needed to round out his game, im just really dissapointed in the islanders for doing this, you guys coulda had him walk on to your guys 2nd or 3rd line at the end of next year, i really dont get this

sioux210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:09 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
im sorry guys im just trying to warn you, this is a huge mistake, he absolutly needed another year at UND, i live in north dakota and i watch every single game, this might just ruin his developement, i really dont get this move, his season at und this year wasnt even that great compared to what he would be able to do next year, hes not big enough or strong enough yet and needed to round out his game, im just really dissapointed in the islanders for doing this, you guys coulda had him walk on to your guys 2nd or 3rd line at the end of next year, i really dont get this
first of all its Brock's decesion..your upset because you want to win a national title i get that..but the islanders aren't stealing anyone.. How is going through the Islanders offseason program and playing in the ahl going to hurt him??

Last edited by NYI78: 04-04-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Beastrt

This is not a mistake for the islanders. He is not nhl ready i agree with that. Playing in the ahl gets him ready to learn the islanders system quicker. He will also be playing more games in the ahl and will be focusing all on hockey. The islander management will get closer look of what the islanders have, and what role he will fit with the team. He will likely be playing with future islanders, like Nino and Kabonov and more.

The only question i have will he play center or wing?

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goal1228

Quote:

He should play atleast 1-2 years in the AHL. The only mistake would be if Isles rush him into the NHL.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Goalie Mikko Koskinen is also signed.
He's an RFA. This is the 3rd year of his ELC.
http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1490

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
first of all its Brock's decesion..your upset because you want to win a national title i get that..but the islanders aren't stealing anyone.. How is going through the Islanders offseason program and playing in the ahl going to hurt him??
all im saying is UND develops players really well, im sure you all know the the players UND has developed lately. i just truly believe he would develope better at UND rather than the AHL. and like i said, he would walk on to your guys NHL 2nd or 3rd line right away if he played one more year at UND, but i still think he will be great eventually, i just think this will set him back a year or 2, trust me i know alot about UND hockey, i follow their program religiously

Old
04-04-2012, 08:20 AM
macleod50

Quote:
AHL>>>>>>College Hockey.

I'm sure UND develops players, but the AHL is much better for his development imo.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
AHL>>>>>>College Hockey.

I'm sure UND develops players, but the AHL is much better for his development imo.
In the last decade, UND has only had three other guys leave after their sophomore year: Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews and Travis Zajac. Toews and Zajac went straight to top-six roles in the NHL and have been there ever since. The only reason Parise played in the AHL is because he left during a lockout year, something he later said he regretted doing.

he is not on that level at all but could be with one more year, and im not trying to slam the islanders or anything, im just not familair with the organization, have you guys developed any good NHLers in the AHL lately?

Old
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
NYI78

Quote:
In the last decade, UND has only had three other guys leave after their sophomore year: Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews and Travis Zajac. Toews and Zajac went straight to top-six roles in the NHL and have been there ever since. The only reason Parise played in the AHL is because he left during a lockout year, something he later said he regretted doing.

he is not on that level at all but could be with one more year, and im not trying to slam the islanders or anything, im just not familair with the organization, have you guys developed any good NHLers in the AHL lately?
Travis Hamonic, Andrew Macdonald, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Matt Martin

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:44 AM
macleod50

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, see 78's post.

The AHL is better than college hockey. Your posts reek of the bitterness that Minnesota's fans' posts had when Okposo left.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
sioux210

Quote:
other than Travis Hamonic and Andrew Macdonald, that looks pretty good. makes me feel a bit better, ya hopefully he does well there, at this point its all up to brock and how much work he puts in this summer

Old
04-04-2012, 08:47 AM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Yep, see 78's post.

The AHL is better than college hockey. Your posts reek of the bitterness that Minnesota's fans' posts had when Okposo left.
k bud..

Old
04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
macleod50

Quote:
k bud..
Sure thing bud.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

This being the Islanders, the risk is always there that they will rush or otherwise mishandle Nelson. But I can see them following a similar plan to Ullstrom: a full year in the AHL, bringing him up in the second year as he shows that he's ready.

In two years, we could have at least 4 of the following in the lineup: Nino, Nelson, Ullstrom, Martin, Lee, Sundstrom - bringing much needed size and toughness.

miscreant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
other than Travis Hamonic and Andrew Macdonald, that looks pretty good. makes me feel a bit better, ya hopefully he does well there, at this point its all up to brock and how much work he puts in this summer
FYI Travis hamonic is the best player on that list

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
yet, every scout I follow on twitter that chimed in on this signing all said it was time for Brock to move onto the AHL. I think I will go with them on this one.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Is nelson going to be with bridgeport the rest of the year?

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:25 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
yet, every scout I follow on twitter that chimed in on this signing all said it was time for Brock to move onto the AHL. I think I will go with them on this one.
Can you list the scouts you follow on Twitter? I would love to follow them as well.

Thank you.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
all im saying is UND develops players really well, im sure you all know the the players UND has developed lately. i just truly believe he would develope better at UND rather than the AHL. and like i said, he would walk on to your guys NHL 2nd or 3rd line right away if he played one more year at UND, but i still think he will be great eventually, i just think this will set him back a year or 2, trust me i know alot about UND hockey, i follow their program religiously
Sure they do...but it's not as though BN had a pedestrian year in the NCAA...he put up tremendous numbers and needs to be challenged.

Moreover, BN has the skating and size to compete in the AHL.

This is the right decision.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
great signing although his name still sounds like that of the jerk/bad guy in an 80's movie

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Congrats Brock.

There will be some nice skill in Bridgeport next season,with Nelson and Kabanov joining the Sound Tigers
Maybe Petrov too? I am pretty sure his contract with ak bars is up. But, maybe IF he signs he goes to the big club?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
of course they will. Which is why it's so mind boggeling that GMG just hangs onto every single prospect and he hasn't made some of them available to bring in a top 6 forward/top 4 Dman.
This.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote