HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Here are a couple of interesting (to me, at least) points about the Flyers' injury status.

The National Post gave a breakdown of man-games lost to injury versus team points in the standings. In their nice little chart (that I wish I could post here), as of March 17, the Flyers (340) were behind only the Canadiens (356), and were 7th overall in the NHL. The MGL numbers are even worse now for the Flyers, but they are 5th overall.

In the TSN Power Rankings, the Flyers slipped 2 points from 7 to 9 and (who else?) Pittsburgh is #1. What caught my eye is the Key Injuries" notes: 5 of the 8 teams ahead of the Flyers have none, the Canucks (D Sedin) and Blackhawks (Toews) have 1 each and the Bruins (Savard and Horton) have 2. The Flyers have 6 listed, which would go down to 5 if Bryzgalov plays tonight. In all, 13 teams have no significant injuries, and only the Wild (3), Maple Leafs (4) and Blue Jackets (6) have more than 2. Coincidentally, these latter 3 teams rank 28, 29 and 30.

For the "What's your point?" crowd, I'm imagining where this team would be if they could overcome the flu in its many forms.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
slapsht25

remember this game was in Pitt and Bylsma has the last change and it was his choice to put out his 4th line and the flyers line wasn't going to "goon it up". The 4th line went out to send a message for the next 2 weeks, there used to be a penalty for doing that, but i guess it doesn't matter for them anyway

all in all the Flyers didn't "start" this Pitt was the instigator of the whole bruha ha

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Clean hit yes, but imagine if Rinaldo hit Crosby with that hit with 1 minute left when the game was out of hand.
That's why Lavi was embarassed, he shouldn't have had Brierre out there, but hey, he did....I know exactly what you mean, but if Rinaldo does that to any Pens player, Crosby Malkin or whoever, the coach would have to own it...a clean hit is a clean hit, with 10 minutes left., or 1 minute left...I am neutral on this guys, as a Habs fan who watches alot of games, other than just Habs games...

The playoffs will be off to an awesome start if these two teams meet, and I would wish both teams good luck, and hope no one gets injured...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
GLM

why was simmonds and briere out there up 6-3? probably to try and score again. the 4th line was out there to take the clock down.

take a run? it was a clean hockey hit. briere had his head down. if he doesnt break the cardinal rule of hockey then this doesnt happen.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Most fans on here don't need their opinions changed. Most of us concede that Laviolette shouldn't have had Briere out there, and Briere shouldn't have had his head down. Byslma playing his 4th line is fine by me. Asham's role is to protect the superstars, who've been targeted by our players for the passed couple games between these two. He was doing his job, even though he lost his mind when Rinaldo set foot on the ice...
I didn't really have a problem with the hit either. Like I said in another thread; could it have been avoided? Yeah, probably. But, neither of these teams are going to do any favors for the other. Vitale saw a chance to make a hit and took it. Briere shouldn't put himself in that position, regardless of the score. But, I can see why Lavy and company would have a problem with it. It puts them at a disadvantage going forward.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
WTF is an upper back contusion
cotusion=bruise

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Lshap

Any news on Bryz? I know he had issues with his foot but I haven't heard a timetable for recovery.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Any news on Bryz? I know he had issues with his foot but I haven't heard a timetable for recovery.
He played last night.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
why was simmonds and briere out there up 6-3? probably to try and score again. the 4th line was out there to take the clock down.

take a run? it was a clean hockey hit. briere had his head down. if he doesnt break the cardinal rule of hockey then this doesnt happen.
I dont have an issue with the hit. Briere should of had his head up. Hes a vet who knows better. i am more ticked about the knee on knee hit on Grossman. We could argue all day long about intent. Bottom line it was a reckless on Vitale's part.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couter View Post
If you actually heard the quote when he was talking about it, he clearly had no problem with the play. He answered a question. That's the problem with the internet. People read a quote and take it out of context. And that's not close to the exact quote by the way.
Just save it for another battle. He won't change his mind trust me. This isn't the first time he has done this with Briere and it won't be the last. He hates Briere because he got on Bryz when he wasn't playing well early in the season. Like I said just save it for someone else it isn't worth it.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He played last night.
In Holmgren's vocabulary, Bryzgalov has been upgraded to yesterday-to-day status.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Who else do u play? The 4th line was just put there for over a minute... Giroux's line? Voracek?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

It was a clean hit, but the intent was obvious. Had the Flyers done that everyone in the media and the HFBoards "Flyers are goons" faction would be screaming about it.

I'm more annoyed by the knee-to-knee, but the response and anger from the Flyers organization is justified if for nothing more than this is hockey; you're supposed to react like that and defend your team when others take liberties.

And the whole "why was Briere out there?" argument holds no water:

1) Penguins had last change.

2) The Flyers fourth line had recently been out.

3) And most importantly, there is no line the Flyers can choose. First line, Giroux gets attacked. Second line it's Briere or Schenn. Third it's Voracek or Read. Fourth it's Couturier. We don't have a line without an important "skill" player. Whoever Vitale takes liberties at, it's a problem.

That is also partially why Lavi cant prove anything.

Both sides' arguments are pretty pointless.

The brunt should come on Vitale, not the coaching.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It was a clean hit, but the intent was obvious. Had the Flyers done that everyone in the media and the HFBoards "Flyers are goons" faction would be screaming about it.
and if a Penguin / penguin fan cried about that hit, we'd be all over him. keep your head up. Jake got leveled this year, never cried about it.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Jake got leveled this year, never cried about it.
Yeah, what was "funny" about that situation is that while Vitale's hit looked clean even at first glance, the one Kronwall delivered didn't. And there was absolutely zero team response to the latter, as if nothing happened, whereas here all hell breaks loose just because people immediately conjure up intents and criticize the Pens for not putting on the ice the line they themselves think would best befit the situation.

Crying over it all fine and dandy, but, guys, don't have double standards then. Don't come here and make fun of the Pens fans if you're doing the same thing.

That said, I'm not happy about Briere being out at all, and hope he returns in a short manner. Same for Grossmann.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, what was "funny" about that situation is that while Vitale's hit looked clean even at first glance, the one Kronwall delivered didn't. And there was absolutely zero team response to the latter, as if nothing happened, whereas here all hell breaks loose just because people immediately conjure up intents and criticize the Pens for not putting on the ice the line they themselves think would best befit the situation.

Crying over it all fine and dandy, but, guys, don't have double standards then. Don't come here and make fun of the Pens fans if you're doing the same thing.

That said, I'm not happy about Briere being out at all, and hope he returns in a short manner. Same for Grossmann.
You're talking to the king of double standards. Don't bother.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

if Crosby said 'clean hit, but he tried to hurt me', we'd be laughing our butts at him

Old
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
and if a Penguin / penguin fan cried about that hit, we'd be all over him. keep your head up. Jake got leveled this year, never cried about it.
Quote:
if Crosby said 'clean hit, but he tried to hurt me', we'd be laughing our butts at him
I couldn't agree more!!!

"OMG Crosby is such a whiner!"

Ok, sooo what is Danny doing?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
rban*

If Briere and JVR come back in the POs that 2/3rds of another scoring line out there.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Wait, did Briere actually say that?

Old
04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Wait, did Briere actually say that?
Quote:
“Look, everybody knows that (they) put the line that was on the ice, on the ice with a minute left in a game that was out of hand,” Briere said. “Everybody knows the intent, what the intent was. Was it a bad hit? No. It was a clean hit.

“But obviously, you knew what he was doing. He was obviously trying to hurt me. We all know that.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...086&feedID=695

Old
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
DUHockey9

Can anybody confirm with 100% certainty (I don't have DVR) that our 4th line took the shift right before Briere's line, I'm curious?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Penguinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

I'm more annoyed by the knee-to-knee, but the response and anger from the Flyers organization is justified if for nothing more than this is hockey; you're supposed to react like that and defend your team when others take liberties.

And the whole "why was Briere out there?" argument holds no water:

1) Penguins had last change.

2) The Flyers fourth line had recently been out.

3) And most importantly, there is no line the Flyers can choose. First line, Giroux gets attacked. Second line it's Briere or Schenn. Third it's Voracek or Read. Fourth it's Couturier. We don't have a line without an important "skill" player. Whoever Vitale takes liberties at, it's a problem.

That is also partially why Lavi cant prove anything.

Both sides' arguments are pretty pointless.

The brunt should come on Vitale, not the coaching.
So he's supposed to just put on the brakes and say "Oh, sorry Danny, I was going to hit you, but since there's only 2 minutes left, I will stop myself and let you pass." It's hockey, play it someday. No Flyer would EVER hit someone with 2 minutes left in a game, including Pronger, Hartnell, or Randino (or whatever his name is). Lol. Time to come back to reality.
Secondly, the Penguins only goon is in the AHL. Unfortunately for me as a Pens fan, no one on their current roster "attacks" people. He checked him. Once again, it's hockey, it's called "checking" and it's legal. There may have been a time in the history of the Flyers where a Flyer checked someone at the end of a game but I'm not sure.
Jesus...

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Can anybody confirm with 100% certainty (I don't have DVR) that our 4th line took the shift right before Briere's line, I'm curious?
Aww come on now, you know I dont just say **** without facts backing it up

Here you go.

As you can see, our 4th line was out there right before Briere's line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Yeah, I just watched the interview, and he definitely is a whiner. He was like that last year already, although I forget what the particular incident was. It might've been that suspension he got, but I can't say for sure. He's a Flyer, and as long as he is one, I'll hope he does really well and celebrate his every point, but as I said many times before, it's things like that that have never made him particularly likeable in my book.