HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Your 2011-2012 Atlantic Division/Regular Season Eastern Conference Champions!

Old
04-04-2012, 06:55 AM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The last time they won the Division was 1994, 18 years ago; I was in 7th grade. The world was still grieving Kurt Cobain (RIP), Woodstock 94 hadn't occurred, and Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were in the middle of the 16-Bit War.

So yes, we should all buy a t-shirt.

This isn't the NFL where both the Giants and Jets have won the Division many times and it truly isn't a big deal with the single elimination games (rightfully so), this isn't MLB where it's mostly the same folks every year who compete, this sport and the NBA it's special to win a Division. The banner the goes to the rafters forever. The 90 Patrick Division Banner means a lot to me. I remember where I was, and all the ups and downs of that season.

Enjoy this. Cherish this.
Agreed. This is so special to me. What a wonderful year it's been.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
I don't know why the back page is so important to anyone here. I haven't read a newspaper made out of paper in AT LEAST five years.
Agreed. And I don't know why people are constantly upset that the Rangers aren't on there. It is like that in a lot of places, hockey just isn't important here, hasn't been for a long time. Until it gets as popular as baseball or basketball you won't see it on the backpage. Accept it, move on, and appreciate what other people are missing out on.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Aaand here's your backpage headlines folks:

http://www.nypost.com/archives/cover...0258E1EBA1AF4D

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/the-week

Shove it you 2 NY rag pieces. Hope the Knicks lose however many games they have left and miss the playoffs.

Piece of garbage newspapers.
Can't find a link but the Times got it right. 6 col picture of the captain and played above the Knicks on the SportsWednesday cover.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Hey guys. Congrats.
Any news on Rupp? I didn't see him out there after the fight, was he even on the bench?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
agreed...i saw that we got a small banner on the top, while the Knicks lose a REGULAR SEASON GAME!! and they get a full page....BAHAHAHAHA....ridiculous....this is exactly why I was hoping the NBA season would have been cancelled, rangers could have gotten a ton of media exposure since there was nothing else to talk about, and they do something no other rangers team has done in 18 years and we get this little headline up top...wow
They would've found something else to put over them. They do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
I don't know why the back page is so important to anyone here. I haven't read a newspaper made out of paper in AT LEAST five years.
I barely read the newspaper either and usually just online. It's just the point..the media has been doing this since the lockout and its embarrassing...the Rangers have been around for 86 years. They have a history in this town, and have a huge following, not just here, but all over the country and the world...they deserve coverage from their own city. They could win the Cup and they would get bumped off the backpage for a Yankee injury. If you can't see how ridiculous it is to purposely be ignored by your own media for a garbage basketball team, then I don't know what to say.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

To demonstrate how ridiculous it is, my wife just texted me to let me know the Rangers got 2 of the top 10 highlights on ESPN top 10...ESPN, who hates hockey, gave the Rangers and the NHL some love, yet our own media doesn't. Disgraceful.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:07 AM
nevesis

Why does everyone keep saying we are Eastern Conference Champions?

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Graves94

Quote:
To demonstrate how ridiculous it is, my wife just texted me to let me know the Rangers got 2 of the top 10 highlights on ESPN top 10...ESPN, who hates hockey, gave the Rangers and the NHL some love, yet our own media doesn't. Disgraceful.
No need to be surprised. The ONLY time the Rangers will be the talk of NY sports is when/if they win the SC. To many NY area based teams, and hockey is low on the totem pole.
Living in Montreal, with the worst team in the East (2nd last in the league), I'm seeing 6-7 pages daily (including front page!!!!) on who the next GM/coach of the Canadiens will be. Oh, and only 1-2 pages on hockey in July...

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No, no, no He meant erratic.

Edit, darn it did you edit your post? I could have sworn you originally typed exotic.
The guy right before him did.

Thank God people dunno what the hell they're talking about around here. "This is a bad team" Good job whoever started that one.

"We'll never be good as long as Sather is around." (This one was fair at the time but no longer valid the last two years)

"You need to draft high"

"Det and NJ are magical abberrations and only they can possibly figure out the magic formula to being elite without tanking."

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Why does everyone keep saying we are Eastern Conference Champions?
because the Rangers are the winners of the Eastern Conference. Just like they're the winners of the Atlantic Division. I know this means that in theory you win the Conference twice, but one is a regular season champion of the conference and one is the playoff (and more important) champion of the conference.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
Don't want to make a new thread, but I'm not sure this belongs here... oh well.. here goes.

So... say we win Thursday night and Vancouver loses. We'd have a 2 point lead and the tie breaker on them for the Presidents Trophy. St. Louis would need to win out to pass us. For the sake of this argument, let's assume they either drop a point tonight vs Detroit or Friday vs Phoenix so their game on Saturday with Dallas is irrelevant to us.

Now, also assume that Washington beats Florida in regulation tomorrow night putting them within 2 points of Florida with just one game remaining for each team and owning the tie breaker for the Southeast Division. Buffalo would need to win against Philly and Boston to make the playoffs and need Washington or Florida to lose their last game to get in. The Buffalo-Boston game is at 4pm while Washington plays us at 630 and Florida plays Carolina at 730.

Is there any way that we mail one in so that the Caps have a better chance to take the division, the #3 seed and the Devils in the first round leaving us with the Panthers if Carolina can win in regulation? Keeps Miller and the Sabres out, avoids AO and the Caps for the time being and presents the Rangers with what I think is a very favorable matchup.

Obviously this is a very hypothetical situation, but something that I noticed as my friends in Buffalo are all figuring out the math on how they get in. (I'm so relieved that we didn't have to do that this year). Just looking for the Rangers to go on a nice long post season run....

Feel free to discuss, comment or call me derogatory names...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
because the Rangers are the winners of the Eastern Conference. Just like they're the winners of the Atlantic Division. I know this means that in theory you win the Conference twice, but one is a regular season champion of the conference and one is the playoff (and more important) champion of the conference.
I refuse to refer to us as Eastern Conference Champions. Yes, I get the logistics that it's for the regular season, but I will only call us EC Champs if we get to the Stanley Cup Finals. Until then, we are the Atlantic Division Champs and the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Levitate

I don't think the Rangers would intentionally mail in a game...they want to make sure they're are prepared for the playoffs and that means working on stuff in every game they have left.

I'm also not sure that Lundqvist would sit...that'd be sitting for awhile and Tortorella probably wants to keep him primed for the playoffs.

But, if other guys are banged up, they might get a night off in that case

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think the Rangers would intentionally mail in a game...they want to make sure they're are prepared for the playoffs and that means working on stuff in every game they have left.

I'm also not sure that Lundqvist would sit...that'd be sitting for awhile and Tortorella probably wants to keep him primed for the playoffs.

I'm not sure this Rangers group is even capable of mailing it in.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

I really really hope you meant exotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think he probably meant erratic. Still great though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No, no, no He meant erratic.

Edit, darn it did you edit your post? I could have sworn you originally typed exotic.
You quoted the wrong guy.

I'm in such a good mood this morning. I wonder why?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:05 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Might be a good idea to rest him against the Pens, especially if his hand is hurt or swollen. Give it a few days to let the swelling subside, start him in the finale against the Caps. Then he has til at least the 11th to let any lingering affects subside.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Might be a good idea to rest him against the Pens, especially if his hand is hurt or swollen. Give it a few days to let the swelling subside, start him in the finale against the Caps. Then he has til at least the 11th to let any lingering affects subside.
Yes, since the question was concerning the Caps game, that was the game I was referring to when talking about Lundqvist sitting or playing.

It is very likely he will sit against the Pens, less likely that he'll sit against the Caps

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Eastern Conference CHAMPIONS means, winning round 3 of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference Finals, only then do we get a banner raised.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
nevesis

Quote:
I refuse to refer to us as Eastern Conference Champions. Yes, I get the logistics that it's for the regular season, but I will only call us EC Champs if we get to the Stanley Cup Finals. Until then, we are the Atlantic Division Champs and the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference.
QFT.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Onion Boy

Just picked up an Atlantic Division Champion t-shirt from Modells. It looks niiiiiiice.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Been a long time since this has happened. Congrats all

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Hank stole that one. But whatever.

1)Hank
2)McDonagh
3)Hank

Hank was great but McD was all over Jagr, especially physically...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Salz

Felt really good. Now lets finally get past the 2nd round!

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
Felt really good. Now lets finally get past the 2nd round!
And THEN win the ECF!!