HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Very true, but I heard his favorite color is green
Uh have you seen our license plate?

Either way I'd rather see him in the NCAA than the WHL this year... for my/our own selfish reasons.

But I think Everett would offer the best development.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
MissSioux85

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Where has Seth Jones talked about going to UND? Why UND? Why not DU or CC or somewhere in Colorado where he first was exposed to hockey?
The first post on page 4 has an excerpt of an interview he did with ESPN Magazine in February:

So every day, the intensely contemplative Jones debates in his head whether he wants to spend next season with the WHL's Everett Silvertips, who drafted his junior rights in 2009, or the University of North Dakota, which recently supplanted Boston University atop his college list. "I lose sleep over it," says Jones.

Jones made his official visit to UND on March 9.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSioux85 View Post
The first post on page 4 has an excerpt of an interview he did with ESPN Magazine in February:

So every day, the intensely contemplative Jones debates in his head whether he wants to spend next season with the WHL's Everett Silvertips, who drafted his junior rights in 2009, or the University of North Dakota, which recently supplanted Boston University atop his college list. "I lose sleep over it," says Jones.

If he loses sleep over it, he should probably make his decision soon.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:

Nice. I wonder why he chose that?

Old
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
30whales

Come on Seth we're waiting......

Old
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Come on Seth we're waiting......
any timetable for when he should make his decision?

Old
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
any timetable for when he should make his decision?
Grand Forks Herald writer Brad Schlossman (covers UND hockey) says that he believes he will make a decision before the IIHF Men's U18 Championship which starts April 13. But who knows because in an ESPN article they said he'd make his decision by the end of February.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Redwic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Also, if Seth goes to Everett this year he is considered a CHL player and as part of the CHL-NHL agreement he would only be eligible to play in the NHL or Everett during the 2013-2014 season, but if he goes to college next season he could play one year at UND and then either decide to return to college or sign with whatever team drafts him, should he sign he is considered a college player which would allow whatever team that drafts him to send him to their AHL affiliate with the potential to be called up to the NHL at anytime during his first season. I know this has all been discussed to him by his advisers now the ball is in his court.
Actually, it is entirely possible that if Seth Jones chooses the NCAA route, whichever NHL team drafts him can press for him to join a CHL team (if any, such as Everett, still has his rights) if that NHL team believes it is best for his development. In other words, Seth could be in the NCAA one year and then switch-over to the WHL/CHL. He would not be the first or last to do so. Also, NHL teams to frown upon 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL. They prefer that players continue development elsewhere (i.e. college, CHL, BCHL, NAHL, USHL, etc.); it helps protect the interests of the players and the teams that drafted them. Pushing players into the pros too early can be detrimental to most players, potentially causing major development setbacks or, in some cases, prematurely ending potential pro careers. Most young players are not built for the rigors of the pros at 18YO or 19YO. I'm not saying that Seth will be that way, but that is a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Everett put on the fullcourt press to try and get him to come this season and he didn't come. They will surely try again this summer. I don't think money will be a factor, and no matter where this kid plays this coming year he will be a very very high pick in 2013.
As a full-time STH for the Everett Silvertips, who has heard our now-former GM discuss this situation on several occasions, I can assure you and everyone else reading this thread that your statement is not entirely correct. Yes, it is true that the Silvertips organization has made attempts to get Seth to join the roster. However, your comment about putting on "the fullcourt press to try and get him to come this season and he didn't come" is not correct. Seth has had a two-year commitment to the USNTDP program, which means if he had broken that contract/commitment at the beginning of this season (2011-12) to join the WHL/CHL there would have been a major financial penalty. We are talking tens of thousands $$$. This situation is not too much different than what the Silvertips experienced with Peter Mueller, years ago, after he played-out his stint with the USNTDP.

And I have seen some people make an assertion that just because Seth has visited UND but not Everett that must mean he will go the NCAA route. But that assertion is also not entirely true. I do not recall Mueller ever visiting Everett beforehand, either, and he still ultimately chose Everett over the NCAA route.

The fact is that potentially top-end players such as Seth Jones will do whatever they believe is best for their goals and development. I would love to see him here in Everett, and there are a lot of reasons why he should, but the decision is his to make and I totally respect that. Unlike a lot of players his age, at least he is weighing every option and thinking this through. That is something to be applauded. Wherever Seth ends up, he should be a lot of fun to watch playing hockey.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this subject.

Last edited by Redwic: 04-04-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Seth Jones could play in the AHL as a 19 year old in 2013-2014. Just as Jacob Trouba could play in the NHL/AHL as an 18 year old this coming season if he so chooses. The only players restricted by age are players who were drafted from the CHL.

Justin Faulk played in the AHL this season as a 19 year old after leaving UMD. Slava Voynov played as an 18 year old in the AHL a couple of years ago when he came over from Russia after being drafted.

Now, if Jones does go to UND this season and is drafted by an NHL team and signs, obviously his college career is over but the NHL team would have the option of keeping him in the NHL, sending him to the AHL or even assigning him to junior. This is an advantage to being drafted out of the NCAA, it leaves the AHL option open, which may be the best thing for Jones as he may need a little bit of time before he is NHL ready, but could be called up for stretches of games, which wouldn't be possible if he is in junior.

Last edited by Herby: 04-04-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Redwic

I would not consider a player being sent to the AHL as an 18YO/19YO as an advantage. It could actually be a career-ender, and most NHL teams know that. That is why it does not happen very often. In one respect, the AHL is full of pro-worthy (or nearly pro-worthy) talent. But in another respect, most of the guys in the AHL are *much* bigger, stronger, and older than those that would be in Major Junior hockey. That would be like throwing a small fish into a lake full of larger hungry fish. Those players tend to steamroll the younger, smaller guys. Only elite/semi-elite players are put into the AHL as 18YOs or 19YOs... and usually with the intent to not keep them there long... because most guys cannot handle it at those young ages.

In contrast, Major Junior hockey offers a similar age bracket and schedule. That tends to greatly help players develop their skills. Certainly, there are some players who play above the overall talent level of the league, but most do not. Seth is going to be a great pro player, but he still needs a lot of development for his game.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwic View Post
I would not consider a player being sent to the AHL as an 18YO/19YO as an advantage. It could actually be a career-ender, and most NHL teams know that. That is why it does not happen very often. In one respect, the AHL is full of pro-worthy (or nearly pro-worthy) talent. But in another respect, most of the guys in the AHL are *much* bigger, stronger, and older than those that would be in Major Junior hockey. That would be like throwing a small fish into a lake full of larger hungry fish. Those players tend to steamroll the younger, smaller guys. Only elite/semi-elite players are put into the AHL as 18YOs or 19YOs... and usually with the intent to not keep them there long... because most guys cannot handle it at those young ages.

In contrast, Major Junior hockey offers a similar age bracket and schedule. That tends to greatly help players develop their skills. Certainly, there are some players who play above the overall talent level of the league, but most do not. Seth is going to be a great pro player, but he still needs a lot of development for his game.
Not sure why you say it wouldn't be considered an advantage. I guess my question for you is do you think it's bad for players who were just drafted to make the jump to the NHL? If players are ready to make the jump, whether it is to the NHL or AHL and teams believe it's in their best interest I'm all for Seth Jones playing in the AHL as an 18 year old.

Now do I believe it'd be in Jones' best interest to play pro hockey in two years? Depends, but I believe it would be in his best interest to play in Everett next year so the AHL wouldn't be an option in 2013-14 obviously.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Redwic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
I mean right now. Compare him to Murray and Dumba.

My opinion is that he is not the player that either of them are.

The next question is do you believe that either Murray or Dumba is NHL ready?

I have a minority opinion here in that I believe Dumba is closer than Murray but my guess is that Dumba is probably not.

Jones, should he continue to develop as he fills out and gets some consistency with his speed is going to be a very good NHL defenseman - in three or four years.
I have watched Ryan Murray play in the WHL since he arrived. IMO, he is the most talented defenseman to come into that league as a rookie in at least a decade, and I have seen quite a few great rookie defensemen enter that league. The most amazing thing about that is Murray actually fell to the Everett Silvertips in the Bantam Draft... their pre-planned picks had all been chosen and Murray was basically just the best player available on the draft boards. NOBODY knew at that time he would be that good/this good. He far surpassed the defensemen chosen before him.

As for the Dumba vs. Murray debate, I do agree that you have the minority opinion about Dumba being more pro-ready than Murray. I strongly believe Murray is better, right now. Heck, he was chosen as Captain of Team Canada in a tournament when he was only 16YO! However, as good as he is right now, Murray also needs to get stronger. In contrast, Dumba needs to get a lot better with his passing.

It all really depends upon what type of defenseman a team is looking for. Dumba is the type who would excel in a system where he gets to strong-check the opposition into the boards and with open-ice hits to stop offensive pressure by the opposition; he is better as a stay-at-home defenseman. Murray is the type who would excel in a system where he gets to make passes, distribute the puck, and command power plays and penalty kills; he is better as an offensive defenseman.

Looking at the bottom-dwellers of the NHL right now... I think Murray would fit in well with a team like Edmonton, which has a lot of young scoring talent but not really someone who can distribute to that talent from the blueline. I think Dumba would fit in well with a team like Toronto, which has invested a lot in sucky defensemen and really needs a strong-checking upgrade.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Redwic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
Not sure why you say it wouldn't be considered an advantage. I guess my question for you is do you think it's bad for players who were just drafted to make the jump to the NHL? If players are ready to make the jump, whether it is to the NHL or AHL and teams believe it's in their best interest I'm all for Seth Jones playing in the AHL as an 18 year old.
Again, I said that 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL (and especially the NHL) are the elite/semi-elite. If having 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL was an advantage, more teams would being doing that with their drafted players. The reason they typically are not doing that is because many of those players have gotten seriously hurt or lose a lot of confidence when thrown into that situation (i.e. they are not strong enough to handle it). Playing in the NCAA and Major Junior helps protect their interests more by having a more level playing field. But again, that does not apply to all players. A few players are good enough to make the jump when drafted, just not all of them. I don't think Seth Jones is anywhere near ready for that jump, yet, but he has over a year's time to try to get ready enough to make that jump if called upon to do so.

Regardless of where Seth Jones chooses to spend the next year or where he ultimately gets drafted, he should be a lot of fun to watch.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Hanji

Quote:
Again, I said that 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL (and especially the NHL) are the elite/semi-elite. If having 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL was an advantage, more teams would being doing that with their drafted players. The reason they typically are not doing that is because many of those players have gotten seriously hurt or lose a lot of confidence when thrown into that situation (i.e. they are not strong enough to handle it). Playing in the NCAA and Major Junior helps protect their interests more by having a more level playing field. But again, that does not apply to all players. A few players are good enough to make the jump when drafted, just not all of them. I don't think Seth Jones is anywhere near ready for that jump, yet, but he has over a year's time to try to get ready enough to make that jump if called upon to do so.

Regardless of where Seth Jones chooses to spend the next year or where he ultimately gets drafted, he should be a lot of fun to watch.

Jones may not be ready for the NHL by the 2013-14 season, but he'll have outgrown the CHL by then.
He's already on par with guys like Dumba, Reilley, etc., so he'll gain nothing from playing in the CHL 2 years from now.
A year in the NCAA, followed by a year in the AHL would be the optimal development choice for him. imho of course.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
MissSioux85

Seth Jones' father says he will likely make his decision after the U-18 Tournament.

Quote:
“It’s still very much up in the air right now,” Popeye Jones said by phone. “He wants to focus on the U-18 worlds and he’s been focusing and preparing very hard for that. His decision will probably come after the U-18 worlds. It’s his life and he’s still young. But he’s a pretty mature kid and it’s a decision he needs to make.”
http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=2083

Old
04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Seth Jones' father says he will likely make his decision after the U-18 Tournament.

http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=2083
Wow. Popeye Jones seems like a great hockey dad. He just stays out of his son´s business and gives him unwavering support. Awesome.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Again, I said that 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL (and especially the NHL) are the elite/semi-elite. If having 18YOs and 19YOs in the AHL was an advantage, more teams would being doing that with their drafted players.
There are very few situations where this is possible. 18 and 19 year old kids drafted from the CHL can't play in the AHL and the NCAA and European kids usually stay and play for their schools or in their domestic leagues until they are atleast 20 unless they are sure fire NHL'ers like Victor Hedman.

Playing as an 18 year old in the AHL hasn't seemed to hurt Slava Voynov, an undersized offensive d-man. Jones because of his late birth date will be 19 by the time that season starts, and Jones is much more physically mature than Voynov was.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

If Seth is in pro in 2013-14 it'll be the NHL. His team won't take him out of college to put him in the AHL. Even if he gets drafted out of college instead of Everett I still see only 3 probable locations for him in 2013-14, UND, the NHL, or the WHL.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
A year in the NCAA, followed by a year in the AHL would be the optimal development choice for him. imho of course.
Correct, that gives Jones and the team that drafts him the most options. He can go to camp (if he chooses to sign) and then the NHL team has the option to keep him up or let him play quality minutes in their own organization, as a lot of AHL teams play a similar system to their parent team. He could in theory also be sent to Everett by his NHL team if he falls flat on his face in camp or in the AHL (like the Leafs did with Jerry D'Amigo). But I'm sure part of an agreement to get him to leave college would be that he can't be assigned to a junior team.

And like I mentioned in my previous post, this is a big kid. This isn't some 5'9 forward putting up a million points in junior who isn't strong enough for the NHL but to young for the AHL. He will not be physically overpowered in the AHL. It may take him a bit to get adjusted to the speed of the game, but physically he has the tools.

Edit: The one downside to drafting him out of college is that he pulls a Jack Johnson and decides he loves college so much he wants to stay another year. So his NHL team would only have him for the summer rookie camp and not the main camp.

Last edited by Herby: 04-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Didn't catch much of the Canada/USA game but he looked great from what I saw. How tall is he now? I see he is listed at 6'3 but he looks much bigger.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
Didn't catch much of the Canada/USA game but he looked great from what I saw. How tall is he now? I see he is listed at 6'3 but he looks much bigger.
My guess is 6'5" (being liberal).

Old
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Don't want to overexaggerate but jones makes me really mad that Anaheim may bounce back next year and Jones wasn't eligible this year.

I've been very impressed with him. In his own zone he played like a Chris Pronger type and when he went on offense he looked like Scott Niedermayer. Loads of poise under pressure, jumps into lanes with relative ease, passes are crisp, shots are hard, hits are crushing.

Ive only seen him out of position a couple times. On some teams he could have a top 4 or at least bottom pair spot right now. He's that good and it makes me want to cry. The only upside to a lockout is a random draft lottery.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
oilersfan11

Seth Jones future Edmonton Oiler.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Seth Jones future Edmonton Oiler.
Honestly if that happened I may just be forced to root for them.

Hall
Yakupov
Eberle
RNH
Jones

Too much win.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Honestly if that happened I may just be forced to root for them.

Hall
Yakupov
Eberle
RNH
Jones

Too much win.
i would love to see EDM try to sign them all when the ELC is up

Closed Thread