HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason recon part 2

View Poll Results: Mod edit: removed
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
I like eager here, but renney didn't or wouldn't use him effectively. I think renney likes to win games "fair and square" with pure skill and no tough guys determining the outcome. IMO Eagar can skate very well and should have been given shifts on the top 2 lines when the games get chippy. Like the came against Philly about a month ago, when Hartnell was pretending he was a lumberjack. Eagar should be out there protecting and causing havoc.
E
i agree, watch the pens, flyers and bruins. The game is 90% skill but every once in a while you need to just pummel your opponent and as you get closer to the playoffs you need guys like Eager

Old
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
People need to realize how much it is actually going to cost to get Schultz. Erixon was the last player to nearly leave his team with nothing and Schultz is probably considered a better prospect than he was at the time. It cost the NYR's 2 2nd rounders and Horak for Erixon and a 5th. I'm not sure the value Horak had, but he was a 5th rounder who had a much better year after being drafted. This is going to cost us more than an early 2nd rounder and/or Omark.
he is free july 1st

Old
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
he is free july 1st
So are other UFA's that team's trade for their rights prior to July 1. They trade for them in order to get negotiating rights prior to them becoming UFA's. What's your point?

Old
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizan
Everyone seems to be hating on Eager, Belanger and Barker. Seems like Tambellini really struck out with the off season free agent signings. Well I should say Lowe because after watching Oil Change I became even more convinced that Tambellini is just Lowe's little puppet. Can anyone tell me how he not only kept his job when everyone was getting fired but actually got a promotion? The biggest off season move the Oilers can make would be to FIRE KEVIN LOWE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I agree. The Oilers will never be anything until he is gone.
I guess taking the Oilers to game 7 of the SCF = nothing...

Last edited by Booya42: 04-04-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Shanahanigans

If we end up picking Ryan Murray this draft, what do you guys think of targeting Nazem Kadri from T.O? Before you all lose your **** , let me explain why.

1.He's put up great numbers every where he's been, and is tearing up the AHL.

2.Toronto isn't handling his development very well. The Leafs management thinks the team is better then they are, and the kid is on a very short leash, keeps getting sent up and down, even when he plays well. There's speculation that him and the team are souring on each other.

3. He's faster and has greater hockey I.Q than Sam Gagner, and is 2 inches taller at 6'0. And he also plays with a nasty edge. Not a fighter, but a sort of Taylor Hall-lite fire (when he's on his game). I think having him with Hall and Hemsky would be great.

4. He's got unreal hands, which he can use at top speed, unlike Gagner, who can only use his hands in a shootout. And he has a sick wrist shot.

5. The only thing with him is strength. He's skinny for a 21 year old, but if can spend a good summer working out, he'll be even more NHL ready than he was the last 2 seasons.

6. Not saying he's a long term solution. But I see nothing with taking a gamble on him. Realistically, we'll have to offer up probably a 2nd+prospect for him. (but seeing Burke's trade history, we could probably get him and Toronto's lottery pick this year for former
3rd overall pick Cam Barker, whose just entering his prime!)

What do you guys think?

Old
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
poetryingasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight414 View Post
If we end up picking Ryan Murray this draft, what do you guys think of targeting Nazem Kadri from T.O? Before you all lose your **** , let me explain why.

2.Toronto isn't handling his development very well. The Leafs management thinks the team is better then they are, and the kid is on a very short leash, keeps getting sent up and down, even when he plays well. There's speculation that him and the team are souring on each other.

3. He's faster and has greater hockey I.Q than Sam Gagner, and is 2 inches taller at 6'0. And he also plays with a nasty edge. Not a fighter, but a sort of Taylor Hall-lite fire (when he's on his game). I think having him with Hall and Hemsky would be great.

4. He's got unreal hands, which he can use at top speed, unlike Gagner, who can only use his hands in a shootout. And he has a sick wrist shot.

5. The only thing with him is strength. He's skinny for a 21 year old, but if can spend a good summer working out, he'll be even more NHL ready than he was the last 2 seasons.

6. Not saying he's a long term solution. But I see nothing with taking a gamble on him. Realistically, we'll have to offer up probably a 2nd+prospect for him. (but seeing Burke's trade history, we could probably get him and Toronto's lottery pick this year for former

What do you guys think?

I'd be game. If the Leafs and Kadri are souring, would Omark + a pick get it done?

Last edited by poetryingasoline: 04-04-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: put more detail into it because I suck at communicatin!
Old
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If Gaustad leaves, I could see Nashville being somewhat interested in 2012 2nd + Belanger for Colin Wilson.

He fills a whole that Gaustad did before he left, he gets a fresh start (and with Stauf hinting that he may be moved), they get a cheap 3rd line guy who fits what Trotz preaches, get a high 2nd round pick.

We get a 6-1 C who has fallen out of favor with management. Currently he plays wing, but I do think he can play C for us. His FO ability always hover ~48-50%, so with increased work lets say he'd be around 46-47% on the dot. This season he has had 43 hits in 67 games, 21 blocked shots, 35-30 GVA-TKA ratio.

He ranks 9th in terms of total ES TOI, and 5th in terms of total PP TOI (both among Nashville forwards).

He'd be somewhat of a reclamation project, but I do think he has more potential than he's shown with Nashville. I do think he needs a change of scenery, but if he works out, I don't think a 50-60 point C while playing a two-way game is out of the question. He has developed a defensive game nicely in my opinion.

04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
backhandsauce

I wonder if the Isles would be willing to let Matt Martin go. The guy is a bull in a china shop.

Matt Martin
Nino Niederreiter

for

Paajarvi/Gagner and what?

I know NN is having a bad season but I see his upside more than MP's. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited by backhandsauce: 04-04-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I would take a shot on Kadri but I feel like Toronto would ask way too much for him.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
My "Arm chair GM" moves:

BUYOUTS:

*Assuming an amnesty buyout clause is in the next CBA* - Shawn Horcoff
Sheldon Souray - $1.5M

TRADES:

To NAS: Sam Gagner, 2012 1st, Conditional 2013 1st
To EDM: Shea Weber

To SJS: Magnus Paajarvi, Theo Peckham
To EDM: Ryan Clowe

To EDM: Justin Schultz
To ANA: 2012 2nd, Linus Omark

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:

Jarret Stoll: 2 years @ $3.5M/yr
Dustin Penner: 1 year @ $2.0M/yr
Paul Guastad: 3 years @ $2.8M/yr

RE-SIGNINGS:

Darcy Hordichuk: 1 year @ $.85M
Lennert Petrell: 1 year @ $.95M
Shea Weber: 7 years @ $7.5M/yr
Justin Schultz: 2 years @ $1.75M/yr
Jeff Petry: 2 years @ $2.0M/yr
Devan Dubnyk: 2 years @ $1.5M/yr

PROJECTED LINE-UP:

Clowe (3.625) - RNH (3.775) - Eberle (1.158)
Hall (3.75) - Stoll (3.5) - Hemsky (5.0)
Penner (2.0) - Gaustad (2.8) - Jones (1.5)
Hartikainen (.875) - Belanger (1.75) - Eager (1.1)

Extras: Hordichuk (.85), Petrell (.95)

Weber (7.5) - N. Schultz (3.5)
Whitney (4.0) - Petry (2.0)
J. Schultz (1.75) - Smid (2.25)

Extra: Sutton (1.75)

Dubnyk (1.5)
Khabibulin (3.75)

CAP TOTAL: $62.133M

Old
04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
I'd be game. If the Leafs and Kadri are souring, would Omark + a pick get it done?
Probably not, but I wouldn't go more than Omark and a 3rd. Unlike what OP said, Gags is a better, more physical player at this point in time. Kadri has proven nothing but the fact he can't even stick over Tyler freaking Bozak

Old
04-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
My "Arm chair GM" moves:

BUYOUTS:

*Assuming an amnesty buyout clause is in the next CBA* - Shawn Horcoff
Sheldon Souray - $1.5M

TRADES:

To NAS: Sam Gagner, 2012 1st, Conditional 2013 1st
To EDM: Shea Weber

To SJS: Magnus Paajarvi, Theo Peckham
To EDM: Ryan Clowe

To EDM: Justin Schultz
To ANA: 2012 2nd, Linus Omark

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:

Jarret Stoll: 2 years @ $3.5M/yr
Dustin Penner: 1 year @ $2.0M/yr
Paul Guastad: 3 years @ $2.8M/yr

RE-SIGNINGS:

Darcy Hordichuk: 1 year @ $.85M
Lennert Petrell: 1 year @ $.95M
Shea Weber: 7 years @ $7.5M/yr
Justin Schultz: 2 years @ $1.75M/yr
Jeff Petry: 2 years @ $2.0M/yr
Devan Dubnyk: 2 years @ $1.5M/yr

PROJECTED LINE-UP:

Clowe (3.625) - RNH (3.775) - Eberle (1.158)
Hall (3.75) - Stoll (3.5) - Hemsky (5.0)
Penner (2.0) - Gaustad (2.8) - Jones (1.5)
Hartikainen (.875) - Belanger (1.75) - Eager (1.1)

Extras: Hordichuk (.85), Petrell (.95)

Weber (7.5) - N. Schultz (3.5)
Whitney (4.0) - Petry (2.0)
J. Schultz (1.75) - Smid (2.25)

Extra: Sutton (1.75)

Dubnyk (1.5)
Khabibulin (3.75)

CAP TOTAL: $62.133M

Old
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Agreed.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I would take a shot on Kadri but I feel like Toronto would ask way too much for him.
This is most likely how it will go.
I'd trade Gagner and a 2nd rounder for Kadri. Maybe I'd throw in a somewhat decent prospect if they add like a 3rd or 4th.

Belanger seems to be 2 games away from never being near an Oilers locker room again.
This may be silly, but what about a Belanger for Brule swap?

Old
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
People need to realize how much it is actually going to cost to get Schultz. Erixon was the last player to nearly leave his team with nothing and Schultz is probably considered a better prospect than he was at the time. It cost the NYR's 2 2nd rounders and Horak for Erixon and a 5th. I'm not sure the value Horak had, but he was a 5th rounder who had a much better year after being drafted. This is going to cost us more than an early 2nd rounder and/or Omark.

Erixon was never going to be a free-agent. His options were to sign with the team that had his rights, or to go back into the draft. Therefore, he had a huge incentive to sign with a team he liked before the 1st, and the rangers had a huge incentive to trade for the rights, since if they didn't, the rangers would have to spend a draft pick IF he was even available at their pick.

Schultz on the other hand has zero incentive to sign before the 1st, and teams in the running have little incentive to trade for him, since he's not going into the draft.

Now people have traded for rights to UFA's before, but unless they are star quality, established players, the rights don't cost that much.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight414 View Post

What do you guys think?
Should see if Luke Schenn is available as well. He needs a complete change of scenery.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
This may be silly, but what about a Belanger for Brule swap?
Belanger is one of the best faceoffmen in the league and our best penalty killer. I wouldn't trade him away until we find a replacement.

It took us three years to fill the hole that Belanger fills. Do we want to open it again?

Old
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.
Agreed.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
If we get Schultz, Dumba would be the guy to draft.
I have to disagree. Schultz is already a puck moving PP guy, so Dumba would be a bit redundant. Murray offers solid-as-a-rock defense to pair with a more free roaming Schultz. And it isn't like Murray doesn't have offensive upside as well. I do accept that I could be a bit biased because I am leaning towards him though.

Quote:
So are other UFA's that team's trade for their rights prior to July 1. They trade for them in order to get negotiating rights prior to them becoming UFA's. What's your point?
Schultz is actually available on June 1st though, the contract just doesn't go into effect until July 1st.

And the point was that guys that teams are about to lose to UFA don't tend to bring back big returns when they are NHL players, let alone unproven prospects. His trade price won't be as big as Erixon's.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Belanger is one of the best faceoffmen in the league and our best penalty killer. I wouldn't trade him away until we find a replacement.

It took us three years to fill the hole that Belanger fills. Do we want to open it again?
True enough.
But if the rumours are true about his desire to leave, I wouldn't mind getting back a rejuvinated Brule.

Anyone know if any of the upcoming UFAs are considered incredible on the faceoffs?

Old
04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That good coach is the reason Wilson might be available. Trotz doesn't appear to like him much. Which, I'll admit, is a minor red flag. Still, I would definitely be ok if we gave up our 2nd+ for him. I am not sure he is a C anymore even though he's listed as such. He certainly isn't used often on the draw because he's only taken 75 faceoffs this year. But he would add some needed size to our top 6.

2nd 2012 + Eager for Wilson, Omark + Ana 2nd 2013 for J Schultz, draft Murray, sign Harding.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Wilson - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Paajarvi
Hartikainen - Belanger - Jones
Hordichuk, Petrell

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Schultz
Schultz - Murray
Sutton

Harding/Dubnyk
Opinions on your deals:

1. 2nd 2012 + Eager for Wilson: if NSH trades Wilson, it will be for a top four d-man with multiple years left on his contract. Suter looks unlikely to re-sign in NSH and Weber may well be right behind him with a ticket to leave town.

2. Omark + Ana 2nd 2013 for J Schultz: possible, but then again Justin Schultz still may not sign. The high second would be a high price (eg, Henrik Samuelsson, Tom Wilson, Dalton Thrower, etc) for potentially zero return.

3. draft Murray: TSN's Grant McCagg in a recent post stated, "Rumour has it the Oilers are quite interested in Reinhart. It wouldn't shock me to see them move down a couple of spots. If I had the second pick and I was Edmonton's head scout I'd take Dumba."

4. sign Harding: Josh Harding to EDM on July 1 is entirely possible. I think part of the reason Tambellini traded Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz was to give a strong reason to Harding to sign in EDM. Schultz and Harding have been teammates for more than four years, and both hail from nearby Sask. (Similarly, MIN desired Gilbert because of his connection to Suter IMO -- they were the top pairing on the U of Wisconsin back in the day). The key competition for Harding will likely come from NJ which has another longtime former teammate of Harding's in Marek Zidlicky.

04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
True enough.
But if the rumours are true about his desire to leave, I wouldn't mind getting back a rejuvinated Brule.

Anyone know if any of the upcoming UFAs are considered incredible on the faceoffs?
Sami Pahlsson, Dominic Moore or Chris Kelly would probably be the three best replacements for Belanger.

None of them have a track record any better than Belanger's was before coming here though. I feel like I'd rather give Belanger another year with a new coach before trading him away to bring in an almost identical player.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Sami Pahlsson, Dominic Moore or Chris Kelly would probably be the three best replacements for Belanger.

None of them have a track record any better than Belanger's was before coming here though. I feel like I'd rather give Belanger another year with a new coach before trading him away to bring in an almost identical player.
It's a lot easier to hold onto him, but I do know that if Belanger doesn't want to be here anymore then it might be best to trade him while we can.

I'd love to have either of those three here. Plus, Dominic Moore can net us a 2nd round draft pick

Old
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'm not trying to start a ****-storm here, but I think this is a unique landscape at the top of the draft this year. Since the Habs are at the bottom hopefully only for this season, and the Oilers' rebuild stalling a little bit this year (I know injuries were big), is there any possibility of making my dream of the Habs acquiring Edmonton's 1st pick without giving up their own?

Again, don't explode on me, it's terribly hard to put a value on very high first round picks, which is why most GM's usually just end up keeping them. That being said, I'll try a proposal...it will seem extreme, and that's probably because it is. In this proposal, I'm implying that the Oilers would want immediate star help on the blueline, offensive talent to replace what is lost with this draft pick, as well as a later pick to compensate. Also, salary relief going either way to even things out. What about something along the lines of:

To Montreal:

Edmonton's 2012 1st rouder
Shawn Horcoff
Eric Belanger

To Edmonton:

Andrei Markov
Tomas Plekanec
2012 2nd rounder

From a Hab point of view, while it would hurt to see Markov and Plekanec go, Montreal is in a mini-rebuild, and they could really speed that up by getting two top 5 picks this year (you never know, ok!). It gives Edmonon immediate veteran talent, with Plekanec in his prime as a top two-way player in the league. Markov, while still a question mark with the knee, having only played a dozen games since coming back, still has to be considered one the the premier power-play players in the game, not to mention one of it's best overall defencemen over the past decade. I really think that with this type of added veteran presence and talent (Plekanec is a large upgrade on Horcoff), and with one more Ryan Smyth-like forward, the Oilers could approach contendership as soon as next season.

Ok, I'm done. Flame away.
Markov is injured all the time no thank you, so we give up a 1st which is top 4, for Plekanec and a 2nd no thank you

Old
04-04-2012, 01:14 PM
stoff

Quote:

Do we really need to replace him though? I think by next year Lander/VandeVelde would be able to take care of 4th line center role and for about half the cost.

I also agree with the other poster suggesting C Wilson. If Gaustad does leave i can see that type of trade for sure. Also gives us a good trade chip in Gagner to either get a big top six left winger or a top 4 dman if we strike out in free agency.

Closed Thread