HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Sit Lundy, Girardi and Cally for the last 2 games?

We havent been in this position in some time.......FIRST THAT IS!!!

Which brings up a thought, if we stand to gain nothing from winning here on out.....(BESIDES THE PRESIDENTS TROPHY WHICH I'M SURE TORTS CARES LITTLE ABOUT) ......should we rest LUNDY, CALLY GIRARDI AND CALLY?

I mean, on the level of pride and prestige alone, I'd love the Presidents Trophy....but not at the expense of losing any of the aforementioned players and jeopardizing a deep playoff run.......

I would generate a poll if I knew how.....and I guess twenty for hours will shed light on the subject...but if I'm Torts.....I start Biron the rest of the way.....sound off......

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
No.

We're starting to get into a stride of good play, keep it rolling into the playoffs.

Don't stop and then have to get it going again next week. Resting players usually has more bad effects than good, IMO.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
with our luck, the roof would collapse on them while they're sitting in the box watching the game.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
BlueHavok

I don't think Torts is a "sitting players" type of coach.....but I think I would sit Lundy for some much needed rest and definitely Girardi...he's gotta be banged up in all types of places......just some time to let bruises heal a bit....

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Levitate

If Tortorella wants to "rest" players then he'll roll pairings/lines more often.

Unless a guy is really nursing an injury and needs to sit for awhile to recover, the Rangers shouldn't be resting anyone. Go into the playoffs strong, not with core players who haven't played in 2 weeks

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Why just those guys? The whole team deserves a breather. I'd only sit Lundqvist if his arm is being a bit troublesome.

I think the team owes Pittsburgh a message headed into the playoffs.

And the game against Washington could very likely determine if we play them or Buffalo in rd. 1.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If Tortorella wants to "rest" players then he'll roll pairings/lines more often.

Unless a guy is really nursing an injury and needs to sit for awhile to recover, the Rangers shouldn't be resting anyone. Go into the playoffs strong, not with core players who haven't played in 2 weeks
Just Hank, and only for one game (against Pitt). If his arm is ok to play against the Caps then put him out there to keep him sharp.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
RUSF18

Lundqvist with his arm is a different question, so you get him rest. The others you have them roll on. They might take a little more caution in going down to block shots at this point, but you don't want anyone getting off their game. You certainly don't want to, in effect, give guys 8 days off in between last night and likely G1 Thursday.

RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Just Hank, and only for one game (against Pitt). If his arm is ok to play against the Caps then put him out there to keep him sharp.
Yeah I agree. The team will get a decent rest between Saturday and the first playoff game. If a player has an injury that's been causing them to struggle for a bit now, then it could make sense to give them some extra time to recover, but otherwise the team needs to stay on the ball and ready

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
SnowblindNYR

The Green Bay Packers say hi.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
iamthewalrus

vCash: 920
florida first round

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or if top 3 seeds still go to conference leaders come playoff time, but if I did the math right, if washington wins out and florida goes winless, washington will take the 3 seed tie breaker from florida, putting florida in the 8 spot. Most talk has been about buffalo/washington, but how would you feel about a florida matchup? Correct me if im wrong or if this has already been discusses

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or if top 3 seeds still go to conference leaders come playoff time, but if I did the math right, if washington wins out and florida goes winless, washington will take the 3 seed tie breaker from florida, putting florida in the 8 spot. Most talk has been about buffalo/washington, but how would you feel about a florida matchup? Correct me if im wrong or if this has already been discusses
I think we'd all prefer to go against Florida...but that is a very unlikely scenario.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why just those guys? The whole team deserves a breather. I'd only sit Lundqvist if his arm is being a bit troublesome.

I think the team owes Pittsburgh a message headed into the playoffs.

And the game against Washington could very likely determine if we play them or Buffalo in rd. 1.
Why would anyone worry about Pittsburgh? The whole point of getting 1st is to avoid them and Philly and Boston - now you could face Buff/DC and New Jersey. Worry about those teams, get rested.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
truebluegoalie

Florida in the first round and a 7th (ottawa) upset in the first round?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iamthewalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think we'd all prefer to go against Florida...but that is a very unlikely scenario.

not as unlikely as it seems... florida and washington play one of the last two games, and im sure washington can handle it pretty nicely. Floridas other game is against carolina which is where it gets iffy. But then washington plays us... we would almost have the decision to play who we want in the first round

Old
JayQueensNY88*

[QUOTE=broadwayblue;47288673]I think we'd all prefer to go against Florida.[QUOTE]

i agree 100%

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavok View Post
I don't think Torts is a "sitting players" type of coach.....but I think I would sit Lundy for some much needed rest and definitely Girardi...he's gotta be banged up in all types of places......just some time to let bruises heal a bit....
much needed rest? lundqvist is as rested as he's ever been in his nhl career. the only reason to sit him against pittsburgh is if his arm isn't up to par.

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
NYR Viper

Playoff Discussion Thread

Please continue here all of the discussion about sitting people/playing whoever

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
not as unlikely as it seems... florida and washington play one of the last two games, and im sure washington can handle it pretty nicely. Floridas other game is against carolina which is where it gets iffy. But then washington plays us... we would almost have the decision to play who we want in the first round
You might think that, but Washington just got reamed by Tampa. They are more likely to miss the playoffs than capture 3rd from what I see.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Why would anyone worry about Pittsburgh? The whole point of getting 1st is to avoid them and Philly and Boston - now you could face Buff/DC and New Jersey. Worry about those teams, get rested.
This team is likely going to need to go through Pittsburgh to get to where they want to be. The last few games against them have been horrendous. A message needs to be sent on Thursday.

I dont know why everyone is worrying about rest all of a sudden. Theyve kept the pedal to the metal for virtually 6 months, and a few days of rest is going to somehow help? This team knows one speed and thats what makes me prouder to be a Ranger fan these days than anything else.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
This has been discussed already, but not for a few days now. Now that looks like it won't happen.

Edit - They play a game vs each other?

04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
NYDNRangers: "@HackswithHaggs Zdeno Chara, Tim Thomas and Patrice Bergeron are all being left behind in Boston and won't be making the trip to Ottawa"
Not sure how reliable that source is but its interesting nonetheless.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
iamthewalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
This has been discussed already, but not for a few days now. Now that looks like it won't happen.

Edit - They play a game vs each other?
yup washington plays florida at home on thursday. Then florida plays carolina and the caps play us. I see it as pretty plausible, as long as carolina comes through. In theory we can easily hand our game to washington it we see that florida's losing

Old
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This team is likely going to need to go through Pittsburgh to get to where they want to be. The last few games against them have been horrendous. A message needs to be sent on Thursday.

I dont know why everyone is worrying about rest all of a sudden. Theyve kept the pedal to the metal for virtually 6 months, and a few days of rest is going to somehow help? This team knows one speed and thats what makes me prouder to be a Ranger fan these days than anything else.
I agree over-thinking the rest thing is dumb, we don't know how everyone is actually feeling, but it can certainly be valuable. Once the playoffs start there will be no opportunity to heal at all.

I disagree that Pitt is worthy of concern. If they make it to the ECF (a big IF with how they have played lately), they will likely be a different team than the one you see Thursday. Any message sent now will be overwritten within 20 minutes of the start of a playoff series.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
OverTheCap

Mike Richter was on ESPN 1050 yesterday. He said those games against potential playoff opponents at the end of the season can help the team psychologically if they face them in the playoffs. Rangers played the Islanders in the final games of the 1993-94 regular season and he said it helped the team prepare for the Isles in the first round.

Maybe Lundqvist rests if his arm is still bothering him. If everyone else is healthy, I imagine they will be playing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote