HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gaborik our best free agent signing ever?

Old
04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Top 7 contract in the league folks. If he was doing any less it would be a disaster.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:14 AM
DutchShamrock

Richter was a free agent signing with the Nashville expansion draft/offseason

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Top 7 contract in the league folks. If he was doing any less it would be a disaster.
It would be what the Rangers have been doing for 10 years or so. (Lindros, Bure,etc)

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Honorable (early) mention: Brad Richards whose locker room presence has been applauded by quite a few of his teammates this year and probably a big reason for being #1 in the East. He's been a monster since March (along with Gaborik).
I believe they were #2 and #3 in points for the month of March in the league behind Malkin.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Gaborik and Graves are two very different signings.

Gaborik and Gretzky are the two best examples of great signings for established performance. Ray Ferraro is an honorable mention. He was very good in the short stint he was here, but wasn't here long enough to put in this category. I'll always remembering him jumping in order to rabbit punch Enrico Ciccone in the face.

Graves is an example of a player signed for potential. Did anyone really expect him to jump from 7 to 26 goals? And as far as this category is concerned, we have to talk about Dan Girardi too.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Adam Graves and it shouldn't be close.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

it's too bad this is about signings only. Jaromir Jagr had the single most dominant season by a New York Ranger I have ever seen. By far, far and away over anything else. Graves had help, Leetch had help. Jagr did it all alone. The guy doesn't deserve to be booed the way he does when he comes back.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Graves, Gretzky, Gaborik, are probably the keys. Girardi is moving up on the list. I believe Richards will go down as one of the most important transactions in franchise history. There is a pathetic paucity of top line playmaking centers in this franchise's history, something that probably has a lot to do with the similarly pathetic paucity of championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
it's too bad this is about signings only. Jaromir Jagr had the single most dominant season by a New York Ranger I have ever seen. By far, far and away over anything else. Graves had help, Leetch had help. Jagr did it all alone. The guy doesn't deserve to be booed the way he does when he comes back.
Significant rules changes leading to increased scoring league wide had something to do with that. And the aforementioned great free agent signings all helped this team. Jagr's acquisition made no sense and only allowed this team to delay the inevitable. Also, thanks to the "success" of the team, it indirectly led to Gomez, Drury, and Redden being signed. Or, three of the WORST free agent signings in franchise history.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Agreed 100%, we sound like Philly fans when we boo him.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Graves, Gretzky, Gaborik, are probably the keys. Girardi is moving up on the list. I believe Richards will go down as one of the most important transactions in franchise history. There is a pathetic paucity of top line playmaking centers in this franchise's history, something that probably has a lot to do with the similarly pathetic paucity of championships.

Significant rules changes leading to increased scoring league wide had something to do with that. And the aforementioned great free agent signings all helped this team. Jagr's acquisition made no sense and only allowed this team to delay the inevitable. Also, thanks to the "success" of the team, it indirectly led to Gomez, Drury, and Redden being signed. Or, three of the WORST free agent signings in franchise history.
Graves, Gretzky, Gaborik, Girardi. The 4G Network!

BTW, what inevitable did Jagr delay, 1 9th place finish? You make it sound like we ended up rebuilding for a decade.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Graves, Gretzky, Gaborik, Girardi. The 4G Network!

BTW, what inevitable did Jagr delay, 1 9th place finish? You make it sound like we ended up rebuilding for a decade.
We would've been putrid in 2004-05. Likely a top-5 picking team. Sather brought some players in during the 05 offseason to make Jagr more comfortable, and that combined with Lundqvist's emergence led Sather to think we were better than we really were. That led to more mediocrity.

What was delayed was a season like last year's. Picking higher generally accelerates a rebuild. As it was, the competitive rebuild took 6 years.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

and we integrated youth all along the way, guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, they all started under a culture that was winning more than it was losing.

Im just fine with the way things went.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

So am I. Things could've been very different and slightly accelerated, but things turned out just fine.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

You guys are fine with how it went because it all worked out in the end. Luckily, Brad Richards was there. Not so sure it would have worked out nearly as well if he wasn't. Of course, we could have just not signed Jagr and friends and gotten a top draft pick or two, thus negating the need to be incredibly lucky just to sign a 31 year old player to a long term contract.

Backwards rebuild, backwards roster construction, and long, frustrating wait filled with awful, awful, boring hockey. 2008-09 is the most boring season of Rangers hockey I've ever witnessed. The seasons immediately before and after were not much better. And that's despite the fact that I was watching Lundqvist and Callahan, two of my all-time favorite players at this point, developing.

All of this is contingent on Richards being signed. Fortunately, it all came together at the right time. It could very easily not have. There have not been any players like Richards available on the free agent market over the last few seasons, and I don't know that there will be any in the next few seasons. He was the one guy, and we got him. I daresay he's more important than Gaborik, and if he can give us 3-5 really good seasons, he will be.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:37 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Lets keep things in perspective. Messier is #1

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Lets keep things in perspective. Messier is #1
He was a trade.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:

that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be booed, that he was a workhorse that year with very little help, and had one of the greatest seasons in nyr history (regardless of rule changes and higher scoring totals)

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post
that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be booed, that he was a workhorse that year with very little help, and had one of the greatest seasons in nyr history (regardless of rule changes and higher scoring totals)
Never said he should be booed, just that the "greatness" of his season should be looked at within a grander context.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We would've been putrid in 2004-05. Likely a top-5 picking team. Sather brought some players in during the 05 offseason to make Jagr more comfortable, and that combined with Lundqvist's emergence led Sather to think we were better than we really were. That led to more mediocrity.

What was delayed was a season like last year's. Picking higher generally accelerates a rebuild. As it was, the competitive rebuild took 6 years.
I know that we have more money than Edmonton and the Islanders but there's no guarantee that we wouldn't have waited 6 years for a season like this year's either way. Who knows if Gaborik and Richards sign with a rebuilding team. I personally would rather see 6 years of mediocrity (and the 05-06 season was not mediocre for the most part, the 07 and 08 playoffs were fun to watch) than 6 years of terrible hockey.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
You guys are fine with how it went because it all worked out in the end. Luckily, Brad Richards was there. Not so sure it would have worked out nearly as well if he wasn't. Of course, we could have just not signed Jagr and friends and gotten a top draft pick or two, thus negating the need to be incredibly lucky just to sign a 31 year old player to a long term contract.

Backwards rebuild, backwards roster construction, and long, frustrating wait filled with awful, awful, boring hockey. 2008-09 is the most boring season of Rangers hockey I've ever witnessed. The seasons immediately before and after were not much better. And that's despite the fact that I was watching Lundqvist and Callahan, two of my all-time favorite players at this point, developing.

All of this is contingent on Richards being signed. Fortunately, it all came together at the right time. It could very easily not have. There have not been any players like Richards available on the free agent market over the last few seasons, and I don't know that there will be any in the next few seasons. He was the one guy, and we got him. I daresay he's more important than Gaborik, and if he can give us 3-5 really good seasons, he will be.
If you were bored say from 06-07 through 08-09, imagine how you would have felt with a rebuild. At least we were winning those seasons. This year the Rangers are far from the most exciting team too.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
no one said Redden...

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Adam Graves says hello..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Adam Graves and it shouldn't be close.
There is a bit of an asterisk w/ acquiring Graves, as he was a RFA, and not a UFA. The Rangers offer-sheeted Graves w/ a 5 yr contract (2.44 million) and had to give Edmonton compensation (Troy Malette).

I consider offer sheets to be closer to a trade than a free agent signing.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

That 06-07 team had a very good shot at making the finals if Drury doesn't tie game 6 with 7 seconds remaining. We got some good, competitive years out of Jagr and his gang. I wouldn't trade those for higher draft picks any day.

04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
That 06-07 team had a very good shot at making the finals if Drury doesn't tie game 6 with 7 seconds remaining. We got some good, competitive years out of Jagr and his gang. I wouldn't trade those for higher draft picks any day.
Finals or conference finals? IMO, there's no way they beat Ottawa in the conference finals.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Ehhhhh Jagr did have Nylander and Straka. While he certainly helped them more than vice versa, those two guys were really quite good and their style of play helped Jagr a lot

Code:
200506 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	82 	22 	54 	76 	42 	4 	0 	0 	0 	2
200607 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	76 	29 	41 	70 	24 	10 	2 	8 	10 	2

Those are good numbers from Straka

Code:
200506 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	81 	23 	56 	79 	76 	4 	0 	1 	1 	0
200607 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	79 	26 	57 	83 	42 	10 	6 	7 	13 	0
Same for Nylander.

I can't say that Jagr had no help, he had a couple of guys that meshed with him very well and that certainly helped

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote