HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Ag. Signed: Matt Mangene (D/F, Maine - NCAA); Matt Konan (D, Medicine Hat - WHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  #51
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
Always Nice to see my blog mentioned in the hf forums!!

I could write a book on Konan, but I'll keep it short.

Matt Konan is a tall lanky player with a long reach. He is pretty quick and mobile for his size. He likes to squish forwards along the boards. Makes a good first pass.

He much rather goes for the pokecheck along open ice, his long reach and speed allows him to do this, (sometimes he over-reaches which may need to be toned down) however he has done a lot better on that during the stretch run and playoffs.)

This year he greatly improved his defensive awareness and ability to quarterback a powerplay.

He logged a lot of ice in Medicine Hat. He is also pretty good at batting away loose rebounds. I was really suprised that no one gave him an nhl spring training invite this year. I think he will need to work a bit on his upper body strength.
Sounds a little like Dan Girardi........ I can hope.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:33 PM
  #52
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Konan sounds like he could be a good bottom pairing guy in the future. The fact that he had 54 points as an overage player in the WHL while his previous seasons he was only a 15 to 20 point scoring defenseman, probably means he won't be that big of a scorer in terms of producing points from the back end.

With that being said, maybe he and Manning could form a very good pairing in Adirondack next year. I really like how the prospect group is filling out. I know that Adirondack is a relatively young team, but there's some real talent that's getting developed down there and next season, they should be one of the most exciting teams in the AHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:30 PM
  #53
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,164
vCash: 500
Where could we see Mangene lie if Konan is considered a possible bottom pair D man?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
  #54
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Where could we see Mangene lie if Konan is considered a possible bottom pair D man?
Mangene will be a forward, sounds like a 4th line energy player, as I said earlier he reminds me of Powe.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
  #55
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
So I guess we are not going after
Justin Schultz
Andrej Sustr
J.Welch


?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
  #56
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
So I guess we are not going after
Justin Schultz
Schultz cannot become a free agent until July 1. I'm sure we're not going to stop signing prospects now to wait for a chance at signing Schultz, but even if we just signed 2 College FA defenders, there's nothing at all precluding us from making a run at Schultz in July.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
  #57
bananaslug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Fun fact konan grew up on the same street as Jon Blum but what's stranger is that they had no idea until konan was drafted to the whl

bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
  #58
Meandmyself
Registered User
 
Meandmyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
I start wondering if they deserve a chance or not to play in the next game with the Flyers after what we see tonight.

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:58 PM
  #59
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Schultz cannot become a free agent until July 1. I'm sure we're not going to stop signing prospects now to wait for a chance at signing Schultz, but even if we just signed 2 College FA defenders, there's nothing at all precluding us from making a run at Schultz in July.
Roster spots and contracts limit. I knew that about Schultz.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  #60
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,968
vCash: 976
Here's a condensed scouting report on Mangene with quotes from Maine's head coach:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/0...t-with-flyers/

Quote:
In his three years at Maine, Mangene totaled 20 goals and 35 assists in 105 games. He also was assessed 110 penalty minutes over the three years.

Best known for his speed as a skater, Mangene also scored eight power-play goals for the Bears this season and led the Bears with two shorthanded goals.

Whitehead focused on two of Mangene’s attributes in particular that interested the pros.

“His skating catches everyone’s eye right away, but secondly is his competitiveness,” said Whitehead. “He never quits on a puck or a battle [for the puck].”

Whitehead also pointed out that Mangene’s speed has more than one dimension.

“Matty is a naturally good skater,” he said, noting his stride as a key. “Even better is his recovery. … He can bring it at high speed again and again. That’s a rare commodity in the game.”

Mangene’s game includes endurance and strength, said Whitehead, but his speed recovery “is a big advantage for him.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  #61
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Roster spots and contracts limit. I knew that about Schultz.
Schultz is a unique case still. He plays in the NHL next season. When you think about Schultz, you don't think about how he fits with the Phantoms, but rather whether he can replace Carle, Kubina, or (I hope not) Grossmann's roster slot. With 3 UFA defenseman plus Pronger, we have the contract spots for multiple NHL defensemen, obviously.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
  #62
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Schultz is a unique case still. He plays in the NHL next season. When you think about Schultz, you don't think about how he fits with the Phantoms, but rather whether he can replace Carle, Kubina, or (I hope not) Grossmann's roster slot. With 3 UFA defenseman plus Pronger, we have the contract spots for multiple NHL defensemen, obviously.
Hmmm Schultz is in the same boat as Kessel was (maybe I am wrong about that?). He can become UFA. Will he play in the NHL? Not necessarily. Depends on contract offer.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
  #63
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Hmmm Schultz is in the same boat as Kessel was (maybe I am wrong about that?). He can become UFA. Will he play in the NHL? Not necessarily. Depends on contract offer.
same boat as Wheeler and Umberger too I believe.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
  #64
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
same boat as Wheeler and Umberger too I believe.
pretty much. He will have the power to select wherever he wants to play... What I forget now is if there was so much nonsense about where he is signing as there was with Umberger and Wheeler? I don't really remember all the speculation, maybe because they were both Americans? I suppose Umberger was speculated to sign with Pittsburgh since being from there? All i'm trying to say is that all this hoop la about Schultz is just pure speculation by all the fan bases on here and even the media "experts". I say he signs in Columbus because they need a freakin break to go their way for once!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
  #65
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
pretty much. He will have the power to select wherever he wants to play... What I forget now is if there was so much nonsense about where he is signing as there was with Umberger and Wheeler? I don't really remember all the speculation, maybe because they were both Americans? I suppose Umberger was speculated to sign with Pittsburgh since being from there? All i'm trying to say is that all this hoop la about Schultz is just pure speculation by all the fan bases on here and even the media "experts". I say he signs in Columbus because they need a freakin break to go their way for once!
Burke drafted R.J and then low ball him offering less money (a lot less comparing to the rest 1st d draft class). Bruke traded him to NYR, NYR did not sign him received 2nd as compensation and he signed with the Flyers.

In between all that there was a rumor that he sucked in a locker room. Espcially during his time with NYR.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  #66
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Burke drafted R.J and then low ball him offering less money (a lot less comparing to the rest 1st d draft class). Bruke traded him to NYR, NYR did not sign him received 2nd as compensation and he signed with the Flyers.

In between all that there was a rumor that he sucked in a locker room. Espcially during his time with NYR.
Odd. Seemed like he was well liked with the Flyers. Pretty crazy how those group of guys seemed like the future and now they are all gone. Carter and Richards being the only ones to last a few years.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  #67
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Odd. Seemed like he was well liked with the Flyers. Pretty crazy how those group of guys seemed like the future and now they are all gone. Carter and Richards being the only ones to last a few years.
Could be NYR fans bs... You know how it is. No one knows anything for sure.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
  #68
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Burke drafted R.J and then low ball him offering less money (a lot less comparing to the rest 1st d draft class). Bruke traded him to NYR, NYR did not sign him received 2nd as compensation and he signed with the Flyers.

In between all that there was a rumor that he sucked in a locker room. Espcially during his time with NYR.
Umberger never played for the Rangers.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
  #69
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Umberger never played for the Rangers.
I never said he did did. He was there during camp. For sure.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:37 PM
  #70
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I never said he did did. He was there during camp. For sure.
are you sure? most college players arent there for training camp....maybe rookie camp

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  #71
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
are you sure? most college players arent there for training camp....maybe rookie camp
ok .. one of the camps maybe even both camps.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
  #72
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Hmmm Schultz is in the same boat as Kessel was (maybe I am wrong about that?). He can become UFA. Will he play in the NHL? Not necessarily. Depends on contract offer.
I was simply stating that because of the hype/interest, I believe Schultz gets multiple NHL offers to play right away. To me, he's physically able to step into the league and play on many team's 3rd pairing today, including our own. With 3 UFA defenders and Pronger, I am willing to offer Schultz a max ELC with bonuses (cushioned, hopefully) to play instead of offering Carle anything resembling 5 million per or Kubina anything over 3M per.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
  #73
NewYorkFlyerFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western New York
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Mangene is making his debut with the Phantoms tonight.
Quote:
Bob Rotruck ‏ @BobRotruck
Michael Leighton to start for the Phantoms in goal. Matt Mangene from U. of Maine to make his pro debut tonight.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  #74
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,532
vCash: 500
Konan?



or


RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
  #75
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,854
vCash: 500
Phantoms rally for 3-2 win. Ford and Hamel score 3rd period goals for the difference.

Matt Mangene no points, 2 SOG

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.