HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins 2013 Injury Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
  #276
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Guys you think Nathan Horton can't find his game on the 4th line in about 3 games? Honestly the garbage in here. Let the doctors and management worry about the decisions they actually have first hand knowledge of. The guy has played hockey his whole life. If he is healthy, nothing is keeping him from the ice. And that next concussion is always looming for Horton. He knows it, he has had months to think about it. He's an adult....
The fact that you think Horton would return and skate on the 4th line tells me all I need to know about your level of comprehension and insight on this matter.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
  #277
ThomasJ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Sorry, but coming back in the regular season with time to find your game and coming back for the playoffs are different beasts. Never mind their individual situations.

Awful comparison.
Good point. By the same logic, I'd make the same point about using Savard as some kind of gold-standard/benchmark for all things concussion. Or using Bergeron. Or anybody, for that matter. More awful comparisons, IMO. There is a medical protocol that needs to be followed, followed by a hockey protocol (is he back to game shape, etc). There is no doubt that the Bruins will follow both. The fact that this protocol failed Marc Savard has negligible influence on how that protocol will serve another player. If/when there are enough Savards, then the protocol(s) will change. Until then, second-guessing the protocols based on the experience of ONE Boston Bruin is baseless.

If we see Horton again this year, it will be because he's been medically cleared by all of the proper channels, and then 'hockey cleared' by another set of channels. If we don't see him until next year sometime, it's because he failed to clear one or both of those channels now. Period. And I for one will not worry any more or less about his condition whether he comes back in May, June, October or January.

ThomasJ13 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
  #278
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Good point. By the same logic, I'd make the same point about using Savard as some kind of gold-standard/benchmark for all things concussion. Or using Bergeron. Or anybody, for that matter. More awful comparisons, IMO. There is a medical protocol that needs to be followed, followed by a hockey protocol (is he back to game shape, etc). There is no doubt that the Bruins will follow both. The fact that this protocol failed Marc Savard has negligible influence on how that protocol will serve another player. If/when there are enough Savards, then the protocol(s) will change. Until then, second-guessing the protocols based on the experience of ONE Boston Bruin is baseless.

If we see Horton again this year, it will be because he's been medically cleared by all of the proper channels, and then 'hockey cleared' by another set of channels. If we don't see him until next year sometime, it's because he failed to clear one or both of those channels now. Period. And I for one will not worry any more or less about his condition whether he comes back in May, June, October or January.
Agreed. Concussions are such an individual matter that comparing recovories between player x and player y is pointless.

I'm going to worry about him the same way I worry about Bergeron every time he takes a big hit. Once you've started down that road, it always has to be in the bakc of your mind.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
  #279
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The fact that you think Horton would return and skate on the 4th line tells me all I need to know about your level of comprehension and insight on this matter.
Precisely

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
  #280
dtimmons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Didn't Backstrom come back relatively quick after he started skating? The docs obviously won't clear him unless they are convinced he's ready.

dtimmons is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
  #281
dtimmons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimmons View Post
Didn't Backstrom come back relatively quick after he started skating? The docs obviously won't clear him unless they are convinced he's ready.
I mean it's possible if he could return soonish, if all goes well or it could go bad and he's gets shut down, we'll see. I think we'll have a decent idea by the end of the reg. season, no symptoms and he'll very possibly be back, 1st or 2nd round (if we make it) ... any symptoms he's done

dtimmons is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
  #282
kms311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Springfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Honestly, there's not much reason for him to start skating a 40 minute session right now if there's not some hope that he can still play this year. Otherwise they'd probably just tell him to rest and start training again off the ice.

That's not to say he's a lock to come back, but in my mind he's skating right now so that they can gauge him and see if it's a possibility. The Backstrom comparison is a good one, I suppose. Toews comes to mind, as well.

Not all concussions are Savard type concussions...

kms311 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  #283
nycbruins*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Good point. By the same logic, I'd make the same point about using Savard as some kind of gold-standard/benchmark for all things concussion. Or using Bergeron. Or anybody, for that matter. More awful comparisons, IMO. There is a medical protocol that needs to be followed, followed by a hockey protocol (is he back to game shape, etc). There is no doubt that the Bruins will follow both. The fact that this protocol failed Marc Savard has negligible influence on how that protocol will serve another player. If/when there are enough Savards, then the protocol(s) will change. Until then, second-guessing the protocols based on the experience of ONE Boston Bruin is baseless.

If we see Horton again this year, it will be because he's been medically cleared by all of the proper channels, and then 'hockey cleared' by another set of channels. If we don't see him until next year sometime, it's because he failed to clear one or both of those channels now. Period. And I for one will not worry any more or less about his condition whether he comes back in May, June, October or January.
Thank you!

You err on the side of caution, but the protocol is the protocol. Nathan has to be sure to be honest with himself and the doctors. As long as he does that, he'll be declared ready when he passes everything.

But to constantly spout Savvy this and Savvy that while ignoring or even ridiculing examples that don't fit that profile is shortsighted at best.

I am not counting on seeing Horton play again this season, but I'm not going to pretend to know what's best.

nycbruins* is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
  #284
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!
 
Lam7825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tacoma WA (for now)
Country: United States
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
maybe one of the mods can fix the name in the title here- and spell Johnny's name right?
thx

Lam7825 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
  #285
caz16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 695
vCash: 664
NHL Bruins tweet:

Julien said 33, 37, 55 and 30 will not make the trip. No official update on 55, but CJ seemed confident that there'd be positive news.^BISH

caz16 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
  #286
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86
 
Guiledoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Bing, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
NHL Bruins tweet:

Julien said 33, 37, 55 and 30 will not make the trip. No official update on 55, but CJ seemed confident that there'd be positive news.^BISH
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The bruins have had such awful luck when players get injured in the past few seasons, its time for them to dodge a huge bullet

Guiledoom is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
  #287
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
NHL Bruins tweet:

Julien said 33, 37, 55 and 30 will not make the trip. No official update on 55, but CJ seemed confident that there'd be positive news.^BISH
Bruins should have a D then of 44,21,54,47,27,14 ... eeegads LOL

WBC8 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
  #288
nycbruins*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins should have a D then of 44,21,54,47,27,14 ... eeegads LOL
What about Zanon? He should play over Krug. I think Zanon will be a very important part of this team in the playoffs, especially if Boychuk misses time.

Corvo they'll probably play over Krug because Torey's not eligible for the playoffs and Corvo & Mottau should stay sharp in case they're needed.

nycbruins* is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
  #289
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 1413
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon reporting Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.


Last edited by coladin: 04-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
coladin is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
  #290
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,373
vCash: 500
Long as Horton's healthy enough to carry a squirt bottle, he'll be a useful addition!

Roll 4 Lines is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
  #291
TMac21
Retooled for 2014
 
TMac21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon says that Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.
Thanks for the heads up! Hope he's right.

TMac21 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
  #292
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
What about Zanon? He should play over Krug. I think Zanon will be a very important part of this team in the playoffs, especially if Boychuk misses time.

Corvo they'll probably play over Krug because Torey's not eligible for the playoffs and Corvo & Mottau should stay sharp in case they're needed.
LOL forgot him...Im hungry

WBC8 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
  #293
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon reporting Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.
Not saying he's wrong, but how does he know?

Artemis is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
  #294
KrejciMVP
Registered User
 
KrejciMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
amazing news if this is true

KrejciMVP is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
  #295
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not saying he's wrong, but how does he know?
From the Bruins.

coladin is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  #296
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p
 
Actp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
I will wait for the MRI. Claude is hoping against hope and Maclean only knows what the Bruins tell him. ......

Actp is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
  #297
RedeyeRocketeer
Registered User
 
RedeyeRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The fact that you think Horton would return and skate on the 4th line tells me all I need to know about your level of comprehension and insight on this matter.
Do you know how common it is for stars to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, or only power play minutes upon their return from a lengthy injury? LOL they did it with savvy, its a very if common practice in the NHL. If anyone is lacking comprehension
...

RedeyeRocketeer is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
  #298
BruinFanSam
Registered User
 
BruinFanSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Do you know how common it is for stars to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, or only power play minutes upon their return from a lengthy injury? LOL they did it with savvy, its a very if common practice in the NHL. If anyone is lacking comprehension
...
Agreed.

I think they could give him 10 mins or so TOI plus ome PP time...not lean on him too much on the 1st line right away

BruinFanSam is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
  #299
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Do you know how common it is for stars to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, or only power play minutes upon their return from a lengthy injury? LOL they did it with savvy, its a very if common practice in the NHL. If anyone is lacking comprehension
...


Whatever you say, boss.

For the record, you said nothing about the 3rd line or PP minutes in the post I was responding to. That is a completely different animal than putting someone coming back from a concussion on the freaking energy line.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  #300
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p
 
Actp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
Fwiw, some teams may play injured players on the third and fourth lines to acclimate them, but how does that fix our problem on the first line? Sorry, Pevs doesn't cut it for me in anything other than one short series against a finesse team.

Actp is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.