Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Guys you think Nathan Horton can't find his game on the 4th line in about 3 games? Honestly the garbage in here. Let the doctors and management worry about the decisions they actually have first hand knowledge of. The guy has played hockey his whole life. If he is healthy, nothing is keeping him from the ice. And that next concussion is always looming for Horton. He knows it, he has had months to think about it. He's an adult....
The fact that you think Horton would return and skate on the 4th line tells me all I need to know about your level of comprehension and insight on this matter.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Sorry, but coming back in the regular season with time to find your game and coming back for the playoffs are different beasts. Never mind their individual situations.

Awful comparison.
Good point. By the same logic, I'd make the same point about using Savard as some kind of gold-standard/benchmark for all things concussion. Or using Bergeron. Or anybody, for that matter. More awful comparisons, IMO. There is a medical protocol that needs to be followed, followed by a hockey protocol (is he back to game shape, etc). There is no doubt that the Bruins will follow both. The fact that this protocol failed Marc Savard has negligible influence on how that protocol will serve another player. If/when there are enough Savards, then the protocol(s) will change. Until then, second-guessing the protocols based on the experience of ONE Boston Bruin is baseless.

If we see Horton again this year, it will be because he's been medically cleared by all of the proper channels, and then 'hockey cleared' by another set of channels. If we don't see him until next year sometime, it's because he failed to clear one or both of those channels now. Period. And I for one will not worry any more or less about his condition whether he comes back in May, June, October or January.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Good point. By the same logic, I'd make the same point about using Savard as some kind of gold-standard/benchmark for all things concussion. Or using Bergeron. Or anybody, for that matter. More awful comparisons, IMO. There is a medical protocol that needs to be followed, followed by a hockey protocol (is he back to game shape, etc). There is no doubt that the Bruins will follow both. The fact that this protocol failed Marc Savard has negligible influence on how that protocol will serve another player. If/when there are enough Savards, then the protocol(s) will change. Until then, second-guessing the protocols based on the experience of ONE Boston Bruin is baseless.

If we see Horton again this year, it will be because he's been medically cleared by all of the proper channels, and then 'hockey cleared' by another set of channels. If we don't see him until next year sometime, it's because he failed to clear one or both of those channels now. Period. And I for one will not worry any more or less about his condition whether he comes back in May, June, October or January.
Agreed. Concussions are such an individual matter that comparing recovories between player x and player y is pointless.

I'm going to worry about him the same way I worry about Bergeron every time he takes a big hit. Once you've started down that road, it always has to be in the bakc of your mind.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
The fact that you think Horton would return and skate on the 4th line tells me all I need to know about your level of comprehension and insight on this matter.
Precisely

Old
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
dtimmons

Didn't Backstrom come back relatively quick after he started skating? The docs obviously won't clear him unless they are convinced he's ready.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
dtimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimmons View Post
Didn't Backstrom come back relatively quick after he started skating? The docs obviously won't clear him unless they are convinced he's ready.
I mean it's possible if he could return soonish, if all goes well or it could go bad and he's gets shut down, we'll see. I think we'll have a decent idea by the end of the reg. season, no symptoms and he'll very possibly be back, 1st or 2nd round (if we make it) ... any symptoms he's done

Old
04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
kms311

Honestly, there's not much reason for him to start skating a 40 minute session right now if there's not some hope that he can still play this year. Otherwise they'd probably just tell him to rest and start training again off the ice.

That's not to say he's a lock to come back, but in my mind he's skating right now so that they can gauge him and see if it's a possibility. The Backstrom comparison is a good one, I suppose. Toews comes to mind, as well.

Not all concussions are Savard type concussions...

Old
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post

Thank you!

You err on the side of caution, but the protocol is the protocol. Nathan has to be sure to be honest with himself and the doctors. As long as he does that, he'll be declared ready when he passes everything.

But to constantly spout Savvy this and Savvy that while ignoring or even ridiculing examples that don't fit that profile is shortsighted at best.

I am not counting on seeing Horton play again this season, but I'm not going to pretend to know what's best.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

maybe one of the mods can fix the name in the title here- and spell Johnny's name right?
thx

Old
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
caz16

vCash: 664
NHL Bruins tweet:

Julien said 33, 37, 55 and 30 will not make the trip. No official update on 55, but CJ seemed confident that there'd be positive news.^BISH

Old
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
NHL Bruins tweet:

Julien said 33, 37, 55 and 30 will not make the trip. No official update on 55, but CJ seemed confident that there'd be positive news.^BISH
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The bruins have had such awful luck when players get injured in the past few seasons, its time for them to dodge a huge bullet

Old
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
NHL Bruins tweet:

Bruins should have a D then of 44,21,54,47,27,14 ... eeegads LOL

Old
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins should have a D then of 44,21,54,47,27,14 ... eeegads LOL
What about Zanon? He should play over Krug. I think Zanon will be a very important part of this team in the playoffs, especially if Boychuk misses time.

Corvo they'll probably play over Krug because Torey's not eligible for the playoffs and Corvo & Mottau should stay sharp in case they're needed.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon reporting Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.

Last edited by coladin: 04-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Long as Horton's healthy enough to carry a squirt bottle, he'll be a useful addition!

Old
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon says that Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.
Thanks for the heads up! Hope he's right.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
What about Zanon? He should play over Krug. I think Zanon will be a very important part of this team in the playoffs, especially if Boychuk misses time.

Corvo they'll probably play over Krug because Torey's not eligible for the playoffs and Corvo & Mottau should stay sharp in case they're needed.
LOL forgot him...Im hungry

Old
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Doug MacLean on HockeyCentral at noon reporting Boychuk is apparently going to be ready for Game 1.
Not saying he's wrong, but how does he know?

Old
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
KrejciMVP

amazing news if this is true

Old
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not saying he's wrong, but how does he know?
From the Bruins.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p

I will wait for the MRI. Claude is hoping against hope and Maclean only knows what the Bruins tell him. ......

Old
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Do you know how common it is for stars to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, or only power play minutes upon their return from a lengthy injury? LOL they did it with savvy, its a very if common practice in the NHL. If anyone is lacking comprehension

Old
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
BruinFanSam

Quote:
Do you know how common it is for stars to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, or only power play minutes upon their return from a lengthy injury? LOL they did it with savvy, its a very if common practice in the NHL. If anyone is lacking comprehension
Agreed.

I think they could give him 10 mins or so TOI plus ome PP time...not lean on him too much on the 1st line right away

Old
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Whatever you say, boss.

For the record, you said nothing about the 3rd line or PP minutes in the post I was responding to. That is a completely different animal than putting someone coming back from a concussion on the freaking energy line.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p

Fwiw, some teams may play injured players on the third and fourth lines to acclimate them, but how does that fix our problem on the first line? Sorry, Pevs doesn't cut it for me in anything other than one short series against a finesse team.

Closed Thread