HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some ?'s answered this morning

Old
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
Some ?'s answered this morning

On Nashville radio this morning Trotz was asked several ?'s that have been up in the air on the board.

1. Trotz was asked what the chances are that Radulov is in a Preds Jersey next year. He said his gut feeling as a coach watching a young man that it is an extremely good chance that he is in a Preds jersey next year. He went on to say that he believes that he really fits in well will the guys on the team and that he has completed what he wanted to do in the KHL.

2. Trotz was asked what Colin Wilson has done or not done to not be in the lineup.
He said Colin Wilson is a very gifted player who is of the offensive mind. He said that Wilson has not played with the details of the game that he wants from him and freelances way to much. He went onto say that Wilson had not played well in the last 10 games he played before being hurt and that he was playing on borrowed time before the trade deadline because they did not have anyone else to take his spot. Said after the trade deadline and Radulovs return that they have a someone.

4. Trotz was asked about the lineups for the playoffs and who will be playing.
He said the top 9 forwards are set and Goose will be the center on the 4th line. He said the battles will be on the two wing positions and will be determined between (Toots, Yip, Smith, Halischuck) He went on to compliment Yip and how he is also able to use him on the penalty kill.

5. He was asked about the fight between the Pitt and Phi the other day. He said he did not have a problem with it and that if another player came at Peks during a t.v. timeout like in that situation he would expect the whole bench to empty and take care of business. He also went onto to say he expects his guys to stick up for each other and never let a player be outnumbered on the ice.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
2. Trotz was asked what Colin Wilson has done or not done to not be in the lineup.
He said Colin Wilson is a very gifted player who is of the offensive mind. He said that Wilson has not played with the details of the game that he wants from him and freelances way to much. He went onto say that Wilson had not played well in the last 10 games he played before being hurt and that he was playing on borrowed time before the trade deadline because they did not have anyone else to take his spot. Said after the trade deadline and Radulovs return that they have a someone.
Whoa...talk about "in the Trotz's doghouse".

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
pekkaslap

Still not sure on Rad. I'll believe it when I see it, but we really need him next year. And I'm sure he knows that.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Yeah Rads knows he is the best forward on this team and is going to want to be paid like it.

Basically confirms what I thought all along trotz and wilson will never get along and he will be a scratch in the playoffs.

He is our best trading piece this offseason and I expect him to be moved sooner than later. Right now he provides us quality depth at forward which is probably the only reason he is still on the team.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

What potential return do you think Wilson would have in the offseason?

Perhaps packaged with a player like Lindback or Blum?

Wilson and Blum could be the "dog house duo" trade.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:13 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

trotz said nothing we did not already know. AK and Rads took Wilson and Smiths spots in the lineup and said Wilson free lanced too much. Trotz basically described a young player who hasn't bought in defensively yet. Complimented Wilson's skill, but pointed out the shortcomings in his game. I don't know if I would trade him, as he could be a huge part of this team next year with the uncertainy of some top 6 guys. I think the notion to trade him is just HF board panic fodder. You have to have patience with kids and face it, Wilson is just that right now, a kid/prospect with a nice upside.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
trotz said nothing we did not already know. AK and Rads took Wilson and Smiths spots in the lineup and said Wilson free lanced too much. Trotz basically described a young player who hasn't bought in defensively yet. Complimented Wilson's skill, but pointed out the shortcomings in his game. I don't know if I would trade him, as he could be a huge part of this team next year with the uncertainy of some top 6 guys. I think the notion to trade him is just HF board panic fodder. You have to have patience with kids and face it, Wilson is just that right now, a kid/prospect with a nice upside.
This unless we know that AK and Rads are coming back I think we need to hold on to Wilson. Same with Blum with the questions around Suts and Weber.

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Trotz was asked about the lineups for the playoffs and who will be playing.
He said the top 9 forwards are set and Goose will be the center on the 4th line. He said the battles will be on the two wing positions and will be determined between (Toots, Yip, Smith, Halischuck) He went on to compliment Yip and how he is also able to use him on the penalty kill.
I think it's a mistake not to try and work in Wilson (for both short term and longer term reasons discussed at length already), but I figured this would be the case. Trotz overvalues Yip but Trotz has this particular viewpoint of what constitutes a playoff style roster and will stick with it whether it works or not. I see Yip and I think Trotz sees Ward.

Not to turn this into another Wilson thread, and to avoid repeating what everybody has already said, I'll offer a little different angle: I think the Wilson situation is one of the rare cases were Trotz and Poile have different viewpoints. Trotz wants to break Wilson at any cost and make him a two-way player that will eventually reduce his overall offensive ability (see years 1998-2012 for further evidence) and Poile sees Wilson as a young, offensively gifted player who he could potentially build around as part of the "core" going into the future. Point being I'm not so sure that what Trotz is doing with Wilson is necessarily what Poile has in mind long term. We'll find out this summer no doubt for sure.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think they are trying to not make the same mistake they did with Hartnell. 2 different syles, but 2 young power forwards that didn't buy in to playing both ways and make young player mistakes in terms of being selfish. I think with hartnell, they didn't have the players on the team to be able to bench him and make him play the system. Now they do. Wilson has two choices as far as I am concerned. 1-buy in. 2. sulk until he is traded or a UFA. If he sulks that UFA deal is gonna be crap. So he really just needs to mature and play the way he did the first half of the year when he was very very good for us.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
preds1

vCash: 605
I'll defer to coach on it. But I just don't see the Yip > Wilson.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
I don't understand Trotz's fascination with Yip. Him being in the lineup everyday is about as absurd as calling Spaling a top 6 forward.

If both AK and Rads come back next year, it doesn't look too good for Wilson unless they try playing him at center again.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Wilson on the fourth line is trying to cram the circular peg into the triangle hole. Buying into the system and demonstrating a work ethic by applying himself to correct the deficiencies the staff noted in his game could get Wilson into the lineup on the third line, with Bourque and Halischuk then serving as the wings on the fourth line.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Wilson on the fourth line is trying to cram the circular peg into the triangle hole. Buying into the system and demonstrating a work ethic by applying himself to correct the deficiencies the staff noted in his game could get Wilson into the lineup on the third line, with Bourque and Halischuk then serving as the wings on the fourth line.
I would say IF Wilson could use his time on the fourth line to focus on his deficiencies then it would be ok to put him there. The trouble comes when Wilson refuses to learn from what the coaches are telling him and continues to play his own game. That just weakens our fourth line.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
JR303

Quote:
At face value, I don't disagree. But, as has been said, each position on the team has a specific role to be filled. Yip is filling his role better than Wilson is his at the moment. Borque better than Tootoo, Also, I suppose you could even say that Halischuck is filling it better than Wilson, too.

Wilson is young, sounds somewhat cocky, and wants to be a top 6 winger. He's got time to grow into that, but at this time, we have players better suited, more rounded and more responsible to play those roles. He doesn't seem to want the spots that he is being beaten out for by grinders, and that's his prerogative, but unless he decides to round out his game, and buy into the system, he won't get many minutes. Hate it for him, but that's the way it goes in the NHL.

Also, I mentioned in the off-season that if I was Tootoo, I'd learn real, real quick how to kill penalties. Right now I still feel that way. I like him and all, but right now, there just aren't enough dimensions to his game to justify him being in there. And I'm one of the guys that thinks his role should be utilized, especially in the PO's.

ETA: TMI is right. Refusal to play the system is detrimental to the team, and if he won't do it, there are capable guys sitting beside him who will.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Neal Before Zod

I think the difference between Yip and Wilson is that Yip plays his role in the system much better -- not that he brings the same kind of offensive prowess.

Wilson is definitely a very talented player...but I can see the frustration that Trotz has with him.

If Wilson were putting up 50-60 points like Martin Erat does, I think Trotz would give him a little more leeway. But he doesn't. He's putting up mid-30s in points, and still not buying into the system.

Wilson should be able to play his game -- and be defensively responsible. I think he has improved over last season...but I guess it hasn't been enough for Trotz.

He doesn't have to be a PKer to get more ice time...he just needs to be patient and wait for his chances. He likes to be creative -- which is good -- but it leads to a lot of turnovers.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I would say IF Wilson could use his time on the fourth line to focus on his deficiencies then it would be ok to put him there. The trouble comes when Wilson refuses to learn from what the coaches are telling him and continues to play his own game. That just weakens our fourth line.
Absolutely.

It's a shame that we can't fit his talent in there somewhere...but 4th line is just a plain bad fit for his style.

I won't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes...but I'd like to think Wilson would be humble enough to ask to be put on a lower line to do what you just said -- focus on those aspects of his game.

And for those who are saying SK has been quiet and needs to sit in favor of Wilson -- SK has certainly been offensively quiet, but he's remained a strong PKer. As of right now, his game is more versatile. And I think Trotz would rather wait on someone's offensive performance to awaken than wait on their D to develop.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
right now Wilson is another player like Ryan Jones was here.

Jones didnt listen to the coaches, so he didnt get ice time, and so he got let go

now he's on a team that doesnt give a rip about D and doesnt have the depth at forward that we do and so he plays on a top line and puts up big numbers.

If Wilson was traded to Columbus or Edmonton he would probably be putting up 20+ goals(and probably be a -30).

but if he ever went to a contender, he'd be back in the doghouse.

and as token mentioned, Hartnell was similar to Wilson as well... Hartnell learned his lesson, but not for several years...

Hopefully another season watching the playoffs from the pressbox will finally convince Wilson that he cant just do it his way...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

The last 10 games before the trade deadline, Wilson had 6 pts. 5 goals, 1 assist playing on a line with Spaling and Tootoo.
When Trotz scratched Wilson the first time, which was in March I think, he quoted it was a tough decision to scratch Wilson. Now he is making a statement contradictory it seems.
There must be more to what is happening, because if you look back on those 10 games he is talking about, it just doesn't add up.
Hey, if he doesn't see him as a fit for this team for whatever reason, so be it. Then both parties will be better off in the long run.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
The last 10 games before the trade deadline, Wilson had 6 pts. 5 goals, 1 assist playing on a line with Spaling and Tootoo.
When Trotz scratched Wilson the first time, which was in March I think, he quoted it was a tough decision to scratch Wilson. Now he is making a statement contradictory it seems.
There must be more to what is happening, because if you look back on those 10 games he is talking about, it just doesn't add up.
Hey, if he doesn't see him as a fit for this team for whatever reason, so be it. Then both parties will be better off in the long run.
he did say it was tough. Makes you wonder if he is sulking/pouting in practice

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
VFL615*

He must of really done something because the following is what i have come up with and i do not see any reason why he could not be used on the 4th line as a winger.
If it was Wilson-Goose-Smith or Wilson-Goose-Halischuck. You could argue that is the most dangerous 4th line in the NHL. Even if Wilson and Smith have D issues Goose can play conservative D hockey like Leggy does with AK and Rads.

Here is what i came up with: 67 GAMES PLAYED
-38 games with points.
-29 games without a point.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
October he played all games record: 6wins 4 losses 2ot losses.

November he played all games record: 6wins 5 losses 2 ot losses.

December he played all games record: 9wins 5 losses

January 1 and 3 did not play record 1 win 1 loss
(Played the rest of the games 10 wins 1 loss)

February he played all games 6 wins 4 loss 3 ot losses

March he played every game up to the 15. Record 4 wins 1 loss 1 ot loss
Pllayed 27 lost to blues.

Are record is 4-5 in games he has not played since he has not played after March 27.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Wilson gets called out for his play away from the puck, on the forecheck, and defensively ... not for what he is able to do when he does have the puck. He does well in the areas that he wants to but fails to accept coaching and criticism about the areas of the game where he doesn't want to apply himself.

In the meantime, Matt Halischuk has busted his butt all season ... getting by on effort rather than untapped talent. Halischuk has one less goal than Wilson in 215 fewer ES minutes and 151 fewer PP minutes.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
glenngineer

The other thing that I've noticed, even with Rads being a top notch offensive threat, he hustles back on D quite a bit. He does not let his defensive play slip by any means and if Wilson would watch, he'd realize you can do both. Some guys just want the glory yet the glory comes from being a two way player. Look at Toews versus Kane. While Kane may have a little more offensive skills, I'd take Toews any day of the week because he plays the game correctly, both ways. Wilson needs to see that.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The other thing that I've noticed, even with Rads being a top notch offensive threat, he hustles back on D quite a bit. He does not let his defensive play slip by any means and if Wilson would watch, he'd realize you can do both. Some guys just want the glory yet the glory comes from being a two way player. Look at Toews versus Kane. While Kane may have a little more offensive skills, I'd take Toews any day of the week because he plays the game correctly, both ways. Wilson needs to see that.
I hate they cannot meet halfway and a 7th overall pick is sitting the bench for probably his 2nd playoffs.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Not arguing at all that Halischuk shouldn't be in the line up! With the minutes he has played this season and the goals it is impressive. Every time he is scratched I feel badly for him, because he certainly seems to make the " most of his minutes"
Other than the last game Wilson played on March 27 th, his defensive end coverage was still much improved from last season.
Just saying there has to be more going on than his play. Something is not adding up.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I try to support Wilson as much as possible but how hard is it to play the way your coach wants you to? If playing in a game means you tighten up defensively a little bit, then freaking tighten up defensively a little bit. I just don't get it.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote