HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

USA/NY Islanders at the Olympics Day by Day Updates:

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2006, 09:50 AM
crashthenet

vCash: 500
Is the Kharitonov playing for Russia the same one we got in the trade for Aucoin?

Old
02-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Darth Milbury

Whacha talking about? We didn't get anything in return for Aucoin. Aucion left as an unrestricted UFA.

EDIT: I'm a dummy!

You mean the player whose rights we acquired from Tampa.

Old
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...usa/index.html

Nothing but net
Team USA's medal chances lie squarely on DiPietro

DiPietro is going to have to win a 1-0 game sometime in these Olympics unless the U.S. shooters take a side trip from Turin to Lourdes.

The dysfunctional Islanders might be among the worst training grounds imaginable for embryonic greatness, but six time zones away, that ceases to be an excuse. Indeed DiPietro has handled himself, if not all knuckleballing pucks, well in Turin, staying at home and not roaming the defensive-zone countryside as he often does on Long Island. He just needs to find something a little more profound, a stand-on-the-head performance that will make this crazy goal drought irrelevant.

The task is daunting, maybe even unfair. But you see those proud stripes on his pad? On Wednesday, DiPietro gets a chance to earn them.
Amazing how the major issue for Team USA right now is offense, ahem...lackthereof. However, this article talks about how DP needs to have a stand on his head performance just so US can win.

That's BS. I don't care who is in net for USA. The pressure is on the offense to actually score important goals to relieve the pressure on the goaltender. How about scoring a goal(s)? How about converting on those two 5-3's? Gee...maybe if they scored on 1, maybe 2, USA may have won the game and SWE's game winning goal would be insignificant.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 02-20-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old
02-20-2006, 01:06 PM
jmg27

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...t&lid=tab3pos1

"Then comes the 64-dollar question: can DiPietro do even more than he has already done to keep his team alive?

Given the fact the Americans have gone cadaver cold offensively, the bottom line is DiPietro will have to be better. It is a tall, perhaps even epic, order. Certainly, he has the tools. And he certainly doesn't lack self confidence.

Asked if he was surprised at how well he'd played during back-to-back 2-1 losses to Slovakia and Sweden, DiPietro shot back; "Are you surprised at how well I've played is the question."

-----------------------------
How bout the bottom line being THE OFFENSE will have to be better! Seems like Rick doesnt mind the extra pressure though which is a good sign.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Whacha talking about? We didn't get anything in return for Aucoin. Aucion left as an unrestricted UFA.

EDIT: I'm a dummy!

You mean the player whose rights we acquired from Tampa.
that's the one, is it him? He played a couple of games for us, small and fast.

Old
02-20-2006, 05:57 PM
NYIsles1*

2/20: (NYI.com)

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=731

THE TALK OF TEAM USA
DiPietro in the Olympic Spotlight

Several of the sport's top writers -- including Michael Farber of Sports Illustrated and Jay Greenberg of the New York Post -- have written that it could come down to DiPietro having to post a shutout if Team USA is to bring home a medal. Wrote Ira Podell of the Associated Press, "Too bad Rick DiPietro can't defend one net and shoot at the other."

For DiPietro, it comes with the territory of being a No. 1 goaltender.

For a good example of the spotlight on DiPietro, read ESPN.com hockey columnist Scott Burnside's column

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...t&lid=tab3pos1

With goaltending in check, U.S. needs offensive boos
ESPN.com

Asked if he was surprised at how well he'd played during back-to-back 2-1 losses to Slovakia and Sweden, DiPietro shot back; "Are you surprised at how well I've played is the question."

"Goaltending hasn't been a problem for us at all," U.S. coach Peter Laviolette said. "I thought that Rick did a good job for us. When we had breakdowns, he made saves."
"I don't know if anything needs to be turned around. I mean, two disappointing losses. Two, 2-1 games against good opponents," DiPietro said. "We have a big game against Russia, but the main goal of this tournament is to get to the quarterfinal round. As long as we get there, it's been a successful round robin."

Old
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
NYIsles1*

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/22/sp...cs/22mask.html

Headgear Offers a Peek at the Man Behind the Mask

Cipra, 47, starts the process by researching his topics. When designing DiPietro's mask which honors United States veterans with replicas of the Vietnam War Memorial, the POW/MIA logo and an M1 rifle Cipra had to thumb through history books. Then he drew a blueprint and faxed a copy to DiPietro, who called back with edits. When they agreed on the details, Cipra needed about 30 hours to paint the Kevlar-and-fiberglass bulletproof surface of the mask.
"This is part of the reason I became a goalie," DiPietro said. "I wanted to be able to design my own equipment. It's important to me."

DiPietro has become a mural on skates, with his star-spangled helmet and pads painted to look like American flags. Goalies have not always expressed themselves with such creative flair.

Old
02-22-2006, 06:49 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=736

YASH GOES FOR A MEDAL

Alexei Yashin and Russia are off to the semifinals in Olympic play after defeating Canada 2-0 on Wednesday afternoon in Torino. In other games on Wednesday, USA fell to Finland 4-3 despite another strong effort by goaltender Rick DiPietro. The US rallied in the third, but came up just short. Also, the Czech Republic defeated Miroslav Satan and Slovakia 3-0.

At practice on Wednesday afternoon, Islanders head coach Brad Shaw said he expects US Olympians DiPietro, Jason Blake and Mark Parrish along with Satan to arrive back on Long Island before the weekend.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 02-22-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
NYIsles1*

2/27:

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=743

AN OLYMPIC WRAPUP

Mark Parrish

Alexei Yashin
"It's always a special experience to represent your country, but we came up a little bit short in the last two games. I think our game against Canada was great because we really played like a team and proved we were able to beat a great team. I played with Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk and so many other great players, like Evgeni Malkin, who are so young and have all kinds of talent they represent the future of Russian hockey."

Jason Blake

Miroslav Satan
"It's always nice to participate in the Olympics. It's one of the oldest sports traditions and competitions in history. It's always a great honor just to be a part of it. Getting a chance to play alongside Peter Bondra was at the top of my list. He's a very experienced player, very well liked back home, and also very respected. He's also a very good friend of mine, and he said this might be his last Olympics. Playing on the same line with him was quite an honor."

Rick DiPietro

Old
02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
NYIsles1*

Isles ready for Post-Olympic Charge (NYI.com)

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=741

ISLES READY FOR POST-OLYMPIC CHARGE

"We're chasing a few teams, but if we keep winning, we can jump over them quickly," said Mark Parrish. "Montreal is one of those teams and we need to collect these two points. We know we can be a playoff team. We have to scratch and claw for every point to make that happen."

"It's a tough stretch for sure, but every team is in the same boat," said Chris Campoli. "The disadvantages to a compact schedule are obvious, but the advantages are that if you can get on a role, it's easy to sustain that momentum and collect points."

"We're a relaxed and rested team," said goalie Rick DiPietro. "We've been practicing well for the last few days, too. This is an opportunity to prove people wrong about the New York Islanders."

Old
02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=741

ISLES READY FOR POST-OLYMPIC CHARGE

"We're chasing a few teams, but if we keep winning, we can jump over them quickly," said Mark Parrish. "Montreal is one of those teams and we need to collect these two points. We know we can be a playoff team. We have to scratch and claw for every point to make that happen."

"It's a tough stretch for sure, but every team is in the same boat," said Chris Campoli. "The disadvantages to a compact schedule are obvious, but the advantages are that if you can get on a role, it's easy to sustain that momentum and collect points."

"We're a relaxed and rested team," said goalie Rick DiPietro. "We've been practicing well for the last few days, too. This is an opportunity to prove people wrong about the New York Islanders."
This will only make me laugh tremendously if they lose hardcore tomorrow night or come out completely flat.

Closed Thread