HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Omark regarding WC and the future in Edmonton

Old
04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I went back and read your edited response. Fair enough. I doubt Omark will have the kind of longevity and career points totals those guys put up, but I think he can become a 40-50pt guy for a decent number of years if given the chance. I honestly don't think that's totally unreasonable. It's possible I'm deluding myself, though.
It happens, I thought the Oilers looked good this year...now thats delusional.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
A: Schultz is worth considerably more than a 3rd or 4th to the Ducks. Unfortunately, they no longer own his rights, so the point is moot.

B: Scultz is going to be an unrestricted free agent. We wouldn't have to trade anything for him, only convince him to sign. And it wouldn't be a matter of throwing money at him, since there's a maximum we could pay him.
I think the idea is to pick him up before he hits free agency and try and sign him before anyone else can talk to him like you see on a semi-regular basis with other UFAs to be (Hamhuis traded twice in the month leading up to free agency for example).

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
So why didn't they trade him in the off season when he still had some value? He was coming off a rookie season when he was a PPG player in the AHL and a .5ppg player in the NHL. We could've gotten a second or a comparable defensive prospect. Now what are we going to get? Anything at all would surprise me at this point.

this is a really strange attitude to me... do you really think NHL teams look only at the stats a guy puts up when determining value? If teams liked the skillset Omark had last year why would they like it less this year? Because he was hurt for a long stretch and hardly played? Maybe a small drop in his value but if a team likes the guy they'll still like him after this season, case in point check out what his fans on here think of him, they don't see him as any less of a player.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
2nd for a 4th...over valued perhaps?
Not at all. A 2nd round pick for a 4th who has turned into an intriguing prospect is much different from a 2nd for a straight-up 4th pick. Omark is a $2 scratch and win card that won you $5. You don't trade that for another $2 card; you trade it for a $5 card.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think the idea is to pick him up before he hits free agency and try and sign him before anyone else can talk to him like you see on a semi-regular basis with other UFAs to be (Hamhuis traded twice in the month leading up to free agency for example).
That seems like a heck of a gamble. You could very easily end up giving away something to the Ducks to get his rights and then be unable to get him to sign. He could walk to free agency and you'd have traded away for nothing.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
this is a really strange attitude to me... do you really think NHL teams look only at the stats a guy puts up when determining value? If teams liked the skillset Omark had last year why would they like it less this year? Because he was hurt for a long stretch and hardly played? Maybe a small drop in his value but if a team likes the guy they'll still like him after this season, case in point check out what his fans on here think of him, they don't see him as any less of a player.
There's also the matter of perception. At the end of last season, it sure looked like Omark was going to be a part of this organization's rebuilding plans (even if he wasn't, it would have been an easy hand to bluff). At the moment, it's clear he's a player that the Oilers want nothing to do with going forward and he's been either up in the PB or injured for a very important developmental year. He's gone from being a 24-year-old with a bright future with the Oilers to a 25-year-old scrub the club wants nothing to do with. The injury was just bad luck, but the rest is on them (or him, I suppose, if you're of the opinion management has given him a fair shake).

Old
04-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Spawn

Quote:
That seems like a heck of a gamble. You could very easily end up giving away something to the Ducks to get his rights and then be unable to get him to sign. He could walk to free agency and you'd have traded away for nothing.
Hence giving up Omark and a 4th and not something of actual value. The Ducks get to gamble on a player who doesn't have a spot on the Oilers and get a mid round pick and the Oilers get a few extra weeks to talk contract with Schultz before he hits free agency and is open to all teams.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Not at all. A 2nd round pick for a 4th who has turned into an intriguing prospect is much different from a 2nd for a straight-up 4th pick. Omark is a $2 scratch and win card that won you $5. You don't trade that for another $2 card; you trade it for a $5 card.
But lets say that $5 scratch card sits for a year and becomes damaged. And you hardly tell what you won because it has faded badly, is it still worth $5.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
But lets say that $5 scratch card sits for a year and becomes damaged. And you hardly tell what you won because it has faded badly, is it still worth $5.
No. Scratch cards expire

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote