HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Year End Top 20

Old
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Year End Top 20

Wasnt' going to do it with the CHL playoffs and Memorial Cup still left but I am so bored at work I needed something to kill time. It's up on my site if anyone wants to read it. Here's the quick list,

Top 20

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Jarred Tinordi
5. Danny Kristo
6. Mac Bennett
7. Morgan Ellis
8. Michaël Bournival
9. Darren Dietz
10. Patrick Holland
11. Mark MacMillan
12. Josiah Didier
13. Steve Quailer
14. Daniel Pribly
15. Greg Pateryn
16. Ian Schultz
17. Gabriel Dumont
18. Joonas Nattinen
19. Olivier Archambault
20. Magnus Nygren

HM Alexander Avtsin, Colin Sullivan, Peter Delmas

The top 7 looks very good for our future, I even like the top 12 and that's before we add a few more prospects in June. Also, I did not rank players that are older and likely won't be back in the AHL next season. Aaron Palushaj, Andreas Engqvist, Blake Geoffrion, Frédéric St-Denis, Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz. Also I opted not to include players that were out for the entire season, Andrew Conboy, Brendon Nash and Hunter Bishop, as well as players on AHL only contracts, Phil DeSimone and Olivier Dame-Malka

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I like your list a lot.

I'd definitely have Qualier & Bournival much higher and Tinordi lower, but aside from that I think this is really solid.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Teamwork

This list will look solid after hopefully adding a top 5 forward prospect.

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Really sad to see Avstin fall off the face of earth so much. Hopefully he puts his **** together eventually.

''Ovechkin lite'' some called him

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Really sad to see Avstin fall off the face of earth so much. Hopefully he puts his **** together eventually.

Avstin is KHL bound. No progress in two seasons at AHL level.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Just wondering, how doyou guys compare Morgan Ellis and Mac Bennett? From what I have seen Ellis has been very good, but I haven't seen Bennett.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Jsweenie

Really like what I hear about the guys at the top of this list. Seems like the culture and compete level of our prospects is exactly what is needed going forward. Not a lot of top line forwards in this group, hopefully some of that is addressed in the next two draft years.

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Avstin is KHL bound. No progress in two seasons at AHL level.
It took Kostitsyn 3 AHL seasons to really hit his stride and become PPG. You never know.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Interesting that you have bennett over Ellis. I'm also hoping that beaulieu can keep putting up a ppg pace in the playoffs despite the games getting tighter.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
It took Kostitsyn 3 AHL seasons to really hit his stride and become PPG. You never know.
Kostitsyn had a progression. 23 pts and then 47 pts in around 60 games.
Avtsin did 20 and 14 and that's really bad. You can't compare him and Kostitsyn.
I'm not calling him a bust... yet. Next year is his last chance.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
Avtsin did 20 and 14 and that's really bad. You can't compare him and Kostitsyn.
There's no need to have Avtsin follow the exact same path as Kostitysn, all I'm saying is that there's no reason to completely write him off, as other successful players have taken more time to hit their stride. Plus, he hasn't finished his ELC yet, so why send him back prematurely?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We now have some prospect depth again (hooray).

Great list and it's getting pretty boring around here with no play-off prospects.

I would move Tinordi to #1, then slide Beaulieu to #2, Leblanc #3, Gallagher #4, Kristo to #5, etc...

I think Tinordi is closer to the NHL (size, style of play, adaptability, and leadership). I think Beaulieu is the more talented player with potentially a higher ceiling. In my mind both are NHLers.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Bullsmith

Great list. It's a real snapshot of the state of the org. It will be nice to add some new names to that list. Some guys have had outstanding seasons and improved their standings, but most of them weren't exactly top-tier prospects to begin with.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I like your list a lot.

I'd definitely have Qualier & Bournival much higher and Tinordi lower, but aside from that I think this is really solid.
Thanks. Quailer the recurring knee injury has me a bit concerned so I dropped him a bit. Bournival hit 30 goals for the 1st time in the Q, I worry his offensive game won't translate to the pros but I still like his defensive game and compete level, I fully expect him to be a solid NHLer in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
This list will look solid after hopefully adding a top 5 forward prospect.
For sure, too bad this isn't a better draft at least from the looks of it but hopefully Timmins can get us a few steals in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Just wondering, how doyou guys compare Morgan Ellis and Mac Bennett? From what I have seen Ellis has been very good, but I haven't seen Bennett.
Ellis reminds me a bit of Pateryn in that both have size and will use while playing solid at both ends. Ellis has more offensive upside and Pateryn might be a little thicker (I have only seen Ellis a few times)

Bennett is more like Subban, in that his game is about speed/mobility and rushing the puck up ice. Bennett doesn't have the offensive skills of Subban, nor his strength but both can get the puck up ice in a hurry since both are good passers or they can turn the jets on and rush it up ice. I don't know how it will translate for Bennett but he loves to rush the puck up ice as he does it several times a game. He's got great mobility but what's impressive is that he's improved his defensive play by a good bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweenie View Post
Really like what I hear about the guys at the top of this list. Seems like the culture and compete level of our prospects is exactly what is needed going forward. Not a lot of top line forwards in this group, hopefully some of that is addressed in the next two draft years.
I would say that the compete level in many of our top prospects is very high. Gallagher, Bournival, come to mind, Kristo moreso in the offensive zone but still good to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Interesting that you have bennett over Ellis. I'm also hoping that beaulieu can keep putting up a ppg pace in the playoffs despite the games getting tighter.
Well they are neck and neck but I think Bennett has higher upside, but we'll see if it translates for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Kostitsyn was much better in his 2nd season, let's not forget he was called up to the NHL and was 2nd on his team in scoring. Avtsin seems to have regressed from last year, he's really struggling this year. That's not to say that Avtsin won't get it in time (I have my doubts but we'll see) but I just wouldn't compare him to Kosty's AHL time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
We now have some prospect depth again (hooray).

Great list and it's getting pretty boring around here with no play-off prospects.

I would move Tinordi to #1, then slide Beaulieu to #2, Leblanc #3, Gallagher #4, Kristo to #5, etc...

I think Tinordi is closer to the NHL (size, style of play, adaptability, and leadership). I think Beaulieu is the more talented player with potentially a higher ceiling. In my mind both are NHLers.
For me I don't look at who's closer to the NHL, since it's not a race and different prospects are at different stages in their development. I also don't agree that Tinordi is closer, I think Beaulieu is as he can do it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Great list. It's a real snapshot of the state of the org. It will be nice to add some new names to that list. Some guys have had outstanding seasons and improved their standings, but most of them weren't exactly top-tier prospects to begin with.
Thanks. Lots of our CHL prospects have had big years so that's great to see.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:

To me, Avstin is the equivalent of the And1 basketball guys. He is very good at dangling alone in the corner of the rink during practice, but he would pretty much die at the NHL level.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
Was dissapointed seeing 0 progression from him this year, but he's playing on a pretty bad team, plus he's only 20 so I'll give him another year before calling him a bust.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Wasnt' going to do it with the CHL playoffs and Memorial Cup still left but I am so bored at work I needed something to kill time. It's up on my site if anyone wants to read it. Here's the quick list,

Top 20

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Jarred Tinordi
5. Danny Kristo
6. Mac Bennett
7. Morgan Ellis
8. Michaël Bournival
9. Darren Dietz
10. Patrick Holland
11. Mark MacMillan
12. Josiah Didier
13. Steve Quailer
14. Daniel Pribly
15. Greg Pateryn
16. Ian Schultz
17. Gabriel Dumont
18. Joonas Nattinen
19. Olivier Archambault
20. Magnus Nygren

HM Alexander Avtsin, Colin Sullivan, Peter Delmas

The top 7 looks very good for our future, I even like the top 12 and that's before we add a few more prospects in June. Also, I did not rank players that are older and likely won't be back in the AHL next season. Aaron Palushaj, Andreas Engqvist, Blake Geoffrion, Frédéric St-Denis, Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz. Also I opted not to include players that were out for the entire season, Andrew Conboy, Brendon Nash and Hunter Bishop, as well as players on AHL only contracts, Phil DeSimone and Olivier Dame-Malka
Great List Montreal.. Im a big Bennett fan too..

Quote:

Well he is Russian.. every Russians have upside you know..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
TinordiandSubban

Great list, nice write-ups. No quibble with the order although I still have Louis tops and Kristo ahead of Gallagher.

You mention the improved play of Schultz and Nattinen in the AHL, but what more does Rob Mayer have to do to get some respect from you?

Improved play in all areas, wins a late season recall and looks like he'll be the starter in Hamilton next year. Better start liking him!

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Great list, nice write-ups. No quibble with the order although I still have Louis tops and Kristo ahead of Gallagher.

You mention the improved play of Schultz and Nattinen in the AHL, but what more does Rob Mayer have to do to get some respect from you?

Improved play in all areas, wins a late season recall and looks like he'll be the starter in Hamilton next year. Better start liking him!
Mayer needs to stop giving up 4 or more goals per game. He's widly incosistent, has been good of late but still has won only 5 of his last 13 starts. In 17 starts this year he's given up 3 or more goals. He did go on a nice run where he won 5 of 6.

I watch just about every Hamilton game and while he has had some good games, many nights he gives up a soft one and overall has been terrible imo. I never understood what the Habs see in Mayer, would have went with Delmas this year for sure.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

Wins a late season recall? When the dogs win, they're usually doing it in spite of Mayer. The only reason Mayer got called up was because of incredibly weak depth at the goalie position.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:15 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Wins a late season recall? When the dogs win, they're usually doing it in spite of Mayer. The only reason Mayer got called up was because of incredibly weak depth at the goalie position.
I know, just wanted to see if i could get some words of praise out of the man.

"He did go on a nice run where he won 5 of 6" = as good as it gets

But seriously, the kid has been getting better.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

No one called him that. In an interview he said he tries to play like Ovechkin.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
But seriously, the kid has been getting better.
I don't see it. Last year his gaa was 3.06, this year it's 3.02. He's had about 30 starts and yet he's given up 89 goals. But for me it's not the stats, it's the large number of soft goals, in addition to the very inconsistent play.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Nice list, montreal.

Surprised to see Gallagher in the top 3, ahead of Tinordi. Or at least at first, I was surprised. It makes sense though with the monster season he is having with Vancouver and how much he's matured over this past year. He's going to be a great, great player for the Habs after a season or two in Hamilton. What dropped Tinordi out of the top 3? Solely Gallagher's performance or was there something that Tinordi was lacking?

Also glad Delmas got an honorable mention here. I hope he gets more of a permanent role with Hamilton next year.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Interesting list. I'm surprised by Beaulieu over Tinordi, Leblanc over Gallagher and Kristo and Bennett over Ellis.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote