HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So You Want A Contender

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Meanashell11

vCash: 500
So You Want A Contender

Signing Oates is a great move by Low and I dont think there were any promises that we would trade him at the deadline. Oates wants to go to a contender? Well think of the assets we have to fill a few holes and lets just assume that conlin/salo can handle goaltending. We have Comrie/Laracque/Smith to fill a hole on defense with the hole up front filled. With some combinationof those three I think we could get a stud defenseman. What do you guys/gals think?

Old
11-17-2003, 04:22 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
Signing Oates is a great move by Low and I dont think there were any promises that we would trade him at the deadline. Oates wants to go to a contender? Well think of the assets we have to fill a few holes and lets just assume that conlin/salo can handle goaltending. We have Comrie/Laracque/Smith to fill a hole on defense with the hole up front filled. With some combinationof those three I think we could get a stud defenseman. What do you guys/gals think?
I would add Horcoff and Chimmer to the list of trade bait (obviously we're not going to trade five guys though).

I'd say Reasoner, Oates, Devo, Torres, Moreau, Smyth, Hemmer, Staios, Brewer, Conklin, Semenov, Salmo and York are virtual untouchables.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
The Rage

No money

After the oates singing, I'm not sure how much money we have in the bank. That might mean that comrie will sit for a long time. Unless we add another salary to the deal, but I don't think many teams want to pick up too much salary.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
After the oates singing, I'm not sure how much money we have in the bank. That might mean that comrie will sit for a long time. Unless we add another salary to the deal, but I don't think many teams want to pick up too much salary.
If Laraque and Smith were traded that'd be over 3.5 million bucks right there. Heck, I think Hamrlik makes that same amount - or maybe SLIGHTLY higher... not saying that's who we'd go after, but I think we coudl afford to trade for one more piece of the puzzle (a Dman) to give our selves a serious shot at a playoff round victory or two!

Old
11-17-2003, 05:58 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If Laraque and Smith were traded that'd be over 3.5 million bucks right there. Heck, I think Hamrlik makes that same amount - or maybe SLIGHTLY higher... not saying that's who we'd go after, but I think we coudl afford to trade for one more piece of the puzzle (a Dman) to give our selves a serious shot at a playoff round victory or two!
Comrie+Smyth+Laraque would be alot of salary, even if comrie still agrees to sign for less than 1.3. Few teams would want to accept that much salary. I think either comrie sits, or gets traded for prospects. I don't think Kevin wants to do the latter.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Boondock Saint

Remember when the Oil were in NY, and someone claimed that John Davidson said that when KLo got home, he was going to try and re-sign Comrie one more time.

Well, maybe there was a lot of truth to that and KLo failed and moved to Plan B.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
MrMackey

Gonna try the old make-trades-that-I-think-are-cool-then-post-line-combos game here...

Trade Salo + 4th to Philly for Woywitka and Fedoruk

3-way trade:
EDM gets: Biron, Kalinin
BUF gets: Stefan, Laraque, Majesky, Hurme
ATL gets: Comrie, BUF's 4th, EDM's 6th

Trade Horcoff, Smith + Chimera to OTT for Phillips + Schastlivy

---

Smyth Oates Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Isbister Reasoner Schastlivy
Moreau Stoll Pisani

Ext: Fedoruk, Salmo

Brewer Kalinin
Phillips Staios
Semenov Cross

Ext: Fergie, Bergie
(Woywitka ready for call-up)

Biron
Conklin

Old
11-17-2003, 07:05 PM
OYLer

Thing get better slowly!

Girls & Boys, I want a contender not a demoilition derby, we need to move or sign grown-up Mikey or move him - that is it! One more top D-man and the puzzle is solved - well maybe a pyshic to get Tommy's head turned around and facing magnetic Stanley Cup. And remember: Thing get better slowly! and; Things get worse in a hurry! So lets give Adam a chance to at least pick and eat the apple before we throw him and the 'eve of the Stanley Cup' out of Hockey Paradise!

Old
11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Thing get better slowly!
I'm not sure what you mean by this... or if your post was directed at me?

Anyway, I was not seriously proposing the Oilers make three trades to demolish the current team. Also, I was joking that Oates will lead the Oil to the Cup.

I'm content to wait and see what happens with the current lineup.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I'm not sure what you mean by this... or if your post was directed at me?

Anyway, I was not seriously proposing the Oilers make three trades to demolish the current team. Also, I was joking that Oates will lead the Oil to the Cup.

I'm content to wait and see what happens with the current lineup.
Hey MrMackey, I just had (virus screw-up) to reformat my hard drive and re-install an OS so I could participate in the discussion, so I'm a little late to the party here, but I wasn't dogging you particularly, I just wanted simply to say, lets slow down and let the chemistry build before we seek to improve again!

Old
11-17-2003, 07:51 PM
jadeddog

we still need a center for comrie..... oates is a temporary fix and nothing more

Old
11-17-2003, 07:58 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
we still need a center for comrie..... oates is a temporary fix and nothing more
The truth is aging rapidly ...

Old
11-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog

The way our defensive depth can disappear with an injury i think we have a greater need at d-man. If one of Smith Staois or Brewer goes down we are hooped. With Staois and Smith gone as early as the line this year i think we have no choice but to move comrie for a d-man.

We have Oates to get us through this season and hopefully next year Pouliot or Ninnimaki are ready for an audition at the 40 game mark when the NHL season gets underway.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

What I found interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Remember when the Oil were in NY, and someone claimed that John Davidson said that when KLo got home, he was going to try and re-sign Comrie one more time.

Well, maybe there was a lot of truth to that and KLo failed and moved to Plan B.
Is on Saturday night on Ron Macleans pregame show before Hockey Night in Canada they showed him practicing with the oldtimers and they showed the stands and Rich Winter was there.

Makes you wonder if they had talked Saturday things didn't go well and Lowe intensified his efforts to sign Oates.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Mediator88

Send a message via ICQ to Mediator88 Send a message via AIM to Mediator88 Send a message via MSN to Mediator88 Send a message via Yahoo to Mediator88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Trade Salo + 4th to Philly for Woywitka and Fedoruk
Salo (who you all want out of town) is better than Hackett and/or Esche why? Come on man, think about the needs of the team that your trading you're unwanted player(s) to.

Brian

Closed Thread