HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gaborik our best free agent signing ever?

Old
04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Ehhhhh Jagr did have Nylander and Straka. While he certainly helped them more than vice versa, those two guys were really quite good and their style of play helped Jagr a lot

Code:
200506 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	82 	22 	54 	76 	42 	4 	0 	0 	0 	2
200607 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	76 	29 	41 	70 	24 	10 	2 	8 	10 	2

Those are good numbers from Straka

Code:
200506 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	81 	23 	56 	79 	76 	4 	0 	1 	1 	0
200607 	New York Rangers 	NHL 	79 	26 	57 	83 	42 	10 	6 	7 	13 	0
Same for Nylander.

I can't say that Jagr had no help, he had a couple of guys that meshed with him very well and that certainly helped

im working at the moment, but care to give me their numbers w/o jagr and w/ him?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I dunno... Val Kamensky was pretty awesome...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If you were bored say from 06-07 through 08-09, imagine how you would have felt with a rebuild. At least we were winning those seasons. This year the Rangers are far from the most exciting team too.
I know exactly how I would have felt with a rebuild, because a rebuild is exactly what I wanted and had been wanting ever since 1998. We didn't win anything those seasons, and wins are hollow when you know your team isn't really that good. I would have much rather watched young, highly skilled offensive players develop their game than watch teams filled with losers like Jason Ward who had no business being in the NHL, or players like Scott Gomez and Wade Redden that I never wanted on the team, and that performed even worse than I thought they were going to. I'd much rather watch a team like today's Edmonton Oilers, for example, win or lose, than watch the 07-08, 08-09, or 09-10 Rangers. Those teams were boring and only mediocre because of Henrik Lundqvist. Without him, they would have been boring and bad.

Those teams had an amazingly large number of players that were really either not cut out for the NHL at that point in their careers, playing completely out of role, or never belonged in the NHL at all. Jason Ward, Isbister, Marcel Hossa, Pock, Hollweg, Orr, Aaron Ward, Cullen, Dawes, Prucha, Rachunek, Malik, Strudwick, Ortmeyer....I mean, some of them were good guys and all...but man, those teams sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
That 06-07 team had a very good shot at making the finals if Drury doesn't tie game 6 with 7 seconds remaining. We got some good, competitive years out of Jagr and his gang. I wouldn't trade those for higher draft picks any day.
Eh...the 06-07 Rangers were certainly the best post-lockout team prior to this season, and I'd go as far as saying they were an above-average team, but they were the only team to reach even that level. And I never thought they were better than the Sabres in 06-07, anyway. Hell, they got incredibly lucky playing a really mediocre Atlanta team in the first round.

I don't feel the team was competitive in 05-06 or 07-08. No depth, one first line caliber player, and a goalie. The group on the blueline was largely pathetic. Lines 2-4 were pathetic. I would have easily traded those seasons for high draft picks. Virtually none of the players on those teams had a future with this club, none of them were part of the solution going forward, and they never had any real chance to win anything. It led to horrible signings, some of the worst transactions in franchise history, and the seasons that followed ranged from even worse (08-09) to marginally better (last season). Those were just wasted seasons, and if things had been different, than maybe we only have to wait 12-13 years to see an actual good team instead of 15.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Adam Graves says hello..........
My post right above this quote says hello...

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 04-05-2012 at 06:30 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I know exactly how I would have felt with a rebuild, because a rebuild is exactly what I wanted and had been wanting ever since 1998. We didn't win anything those seasons, and wins are hollow when you know your team isn't really that good. I would have much rather watched young, highly skilled offensive players develop their game than watch teams filled with losers like Jason Ward who had no business being in the NHL, or players like Scott Gomez and Wade Redden that I never wanted on the team, and that performed even worse than I thought they were going to. I'd much rather watch a team like today's Edmonton Oilers, for example, win or lose, than watch the 07-08, 08-09, or 09-10 Rangers. Those teams were boring and only mediocre because of Henrik Lundqvist. Without him, they would have been boring and bad.

Those teams had an amazingly large number of players that were really either not cut out for the NHL at that point in their careers, playing completely out of role, or never belonged in the NHL at all. Jason Ward, Isbister, Marcel Hossa, Pock, Hollweg, Orr, Aaron Ward, Cullen, Dawes, Prucha, Rachunek, Malik, Strudwick, Ortmeyer....I mean, some of them were good guys and all...but man, those teams sucked.

Eh...the 06-07 Rangers were certainly the best post-lockout team prior to this season, and I'd go as far as saying they were an above-average team, but they were the only team to reach even that level. And I never thought they were better than the Sabres in 06-07, anyway. Hell, they got incredibly lucky playing a really mediocre Atlanta team in the first round.

I don't feel the team was competitive in 05-06 or 07-08. No depth, one first line caliber player, and a goalie. The group on the blueline was largely pathetic. Lines 2-4 were pathetic. I would have easily traded those seasons for high draft picks. Virtually none of the players on those teams had a future with this club, none of them were part of the solution going forward, and they never had any real chance to win anything. It led to horrible signings, some of the worst transactions in franchise history, and the seasons that followed ranged from even worse (08-09) to marginally better (last season). Those were just wasted seasons, and if things had been different, than maybe we only have to wait 12-13 years to see an actual good team instead of 15.
Players like Jason Ward? I know he's a great PKer and a pretty decent defensive center, and he's been hot lately, but we have Brian Boyle, Mitchell, and Bickel playing for our team. This team has its share of players that might not be playing in the NHL. There's also no guarantee that a rebuild would work.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i was thinking stephane quintal myself... tough call

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
i was thinking stephane quintal myself... tough call
Igor Ulanov

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

for Colorado

Old
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
alkurtz

Uh....David Oliver?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, Sting, I can't believe you have such a higher opinion of that 06-07 team compared to the 07-08 team. The 07-08 team was probably deeper at center (even deeper than this year's team, Drury of 07-08 was better than Boyle). They lost 2 more games in the playoffs but the Devils were much better than the Thrashers (and we only lost on a fluke goal in OT in that series) and that Penguins was much better than that Sabres team.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Igor Ulanov

It's pronounced Eyegor.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

And just last year many wanted him gone.. how times change.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Dmitri Kalinin

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Dan Girardi definitely deserves some attention. Undrafted FA to boot.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Gomez which lead to all great things when he left.
Yes! 1000 times yes!!!!

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
It's pronounced Eyegor.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
same can be said for Straka although didnt score alot, when he did he helped and had a cheap contract and played a complete game...always gonna miss #82

what happened to straka? he was here and making an impact one day, and gone the next.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
My post right above this quote says hello...
So he still says hello and is easily the Rangers best Free Agent signing

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
This thread makes me both angry and sad.

Angry because our former GM was a complete moron for letting Gabby walk for nothing. It's set our organization back quite a bit.

Sad because I miss him and all he brought to this team. He's the only dynamic player we've ever had. He's a game changer. No one since has ever had the effect on the Wild that Gaborik had.

Check out this thread and you'll see most Ranger fans never wanted Gabby here in the first place.
As recently as last year many people lauding him as best free agent ever were concocting ways to get him out of town.

I am sure Minny would have traded Gaborik at deadline, but if memory serves he was out until early March with that groin injury. Just alot of bad luck for the Wild on this one.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=656886

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:29 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Dmitri Kalinin
IIRC, Kalinin was a deadline acquisition with an expiring contract. He was quite awful.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
IIRC, Kalinin was a deadline acquisition with an expiring contract. He was quite awful.
Nah, we signed him as a FA in 08.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
same can be said for Straka although didnt score alot, when he did he helped and had a cheap contract and played a complete game...always gonna miss #82

I just watched those highlights. Man, the Michelin line is great and all but I don't think they can compare to those guys.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
AVsTimeOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
You're thinking Derek Morris

AVsTimeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Section32

I think it is a toss up between Scott Fraser, Bruce Driver and "leather pants" Stephane Quintal...

Honestly, Graves as a RFA was obviously a huge win...

Gaborik could end up being IT though, if he is able to have two more 40+ goal seasons and several huge playoff runs. Gravey brought the Cup. So, unless Gabby can do the same, I would say no...

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote