HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1980 Islanders to do 'THE WALK OF CHAMPIONS' from Marriott to Coliseum on March 4th..

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
1980 Islanders to do 'THE WALK OF CHAMPIONS' from Marriott to Coliseum on March 4th..

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=739

'THE WALK OF CHAMPIONS': March 4, 6:00 pm
1980 Stanley Cup Champs to take part in procession from Marriott to Coliseum

In an exciting addition to the plans for the March 4 Celebration of the Islanders 1980 Stanley Cup Team, there will be a pre-ceremony procession -- "The Walk of Champions" -- from the Long Island Marriott to the Nassau Coliseum beginning at 6:00 pm.

At that time, the "Architect," GM Bill Torrey will emerge from the Marriott and on to the Coliseum Plaza, followed by legendary coach Al Arbour, and then Hall of Fame broadcaster Jiggs McDonald, trainer Ron Waske and the players from the 1980 championship team. The players -- Bossy, Trottier, Smitty, Gillies, Nystrom, Tonelli, Goring, Sutter, Persson and so on -- will parade in numerical order.

With one exception: captain Denis Potvin will be last, holding the Stanley Cup.

Old
02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Killer Carlson

Am I the only one that thinks this aspect of that night is a terrible idea? Sounds like they are putting them all up at the hotel and were too cheap to get 4 or 5 limos to drive them over.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:13 PM
cjdv16

sounds pretty weird.

and again, i don't like the idea of the stanley cup being paraded around.

Old
02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
Am I the only one that thinks this aspect of that night is a terrible idea? Sounds like they are putting them all up at the hotel and were too cheap to get 4 or 5 limos to drive them over.
The way the Coliseum and Marriott are set up there is no road, just a plaza connecting both buildings and it's a very short distance. Apparently the Islanders want to do their own little mini Canyon of Hero's for the team as they come over to the Coliseum for the ceremony.

Seems like a great idea to me if the weather holds up for it, put down the red carpet and let the fans get to thank the players close up before the on-ice ceremony inside the Coliseum.

Old
02-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Islanders4Life*

this whole thing reminds me of something the Islanders would do from 1996-2000 to get a cheap sell out

And yea I hope they dont skate with the Stanley Cup on the Ice

Old
02-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Islanders4Cups

It will be interesting to see that when legends are honored on LI you get a lot of negativity. Maybe the young crowd can't identify...

These guys are part the nucleus of some of the greatest teams ever to play in the NHL. It is shameful they were not kept as part of the organization. That was the problem with the franchise back in the late 80's and 90's and now its fans who will take a passing interest or won't care. The franchise was allowed to slip by ownership and its fans and it did.

Had these guys played almost anywhere else back in those days they wouldn't need to buy another meal in that city.

My hats off to the organization. I just wish they would have paid the money to allow these guys to be part of the organization every day instead of just honoring them every 5-10 years.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:52 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
It will be interesting to see that when legends are honored on LI you get a lot of negativity. Maybe the young crowd can't identify...
Most of that seems to be about fans who never saw these players and a lot of poor hockey for a long time, after 1988 it was a heck of a fall off to go from Bossy to Makela and impossible to duplicate the results and characters of those teams.

Quote:
Had these guys played almost anywhere else back in those days they wouldn't need to buy another meal in that city.
Tough to say, even now. It's not like the Montreal Canadians teams that won before the Islanders get a lot of publicity today in Canada or North America or the Flyers from the mid-seventies have a free ride for life in Philadelphia. Twenty five years is an awful long time, it's just nice to see Wang make such a classy jesture for what is apparently a three-four day reunion for these players and their families. Did the Flyers or Habs do their for their teams 25th anniversary of their consecutitive cups?

Quote:
My hats off to the organization. I just wish they would have paid the money to allow these guys to be part of the organization every day instead of just honoring them every 5-10 years.
For the most part it has not been that bad in this department and really amazing considering all the ownership turnover that so many former Islanders have found themselves in roles. Henning, Goring, Morrow, Kallur, Trottier, Smith have worked for the organization or still do. Nystrom has had a role in community relations (and assistant coach/announcer) as has Gillies at times, Westphal also was the teams play by play man for about fifteen years.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
The way the Coliseum and Marriott are set up there is no road, just a plaza connecting both buildings and it's a very short distance. Apparently the Islanders want to do their own little mini Canyon of Hero's for the team as they come over to the Coliseum for the ceremony.

Seems like a great idea to me if the weather holds up for it, put down the red carpet and let the fans get to thank the players close up before the on-ice ceremony inside the Coliseum.
Yeah, I'm aware of the setup between the Coliseum and the Marriott, but to me, to make these guys walk over and bill it as a "Walk of Champions" in MARCH is a bit silly. Like I said in my first post, maybe it's just me.

Old
02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of the setup between the Coliseum and the Marriott, but to me, to make these guys walk over and bill it as a "Walk of Champions" in MARCH is a bit silly. Like I said in my first post, maybe it's just me.
I heard that they will also be carrying Yashin's sticks, some pucks, and some refills for the sushi girl. All part of the cost reduction moves I guess.

Old
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Melanson

I just can't believe they are leaving out Rollie Melanson who didn't come along until the 2nd Cup

He was the best backup goalie in the league

Old
02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
It wouldn't be so bad if there were 10-15 thousand people out there giving them a warm welcome. Seeing those guys with the cup is great, hell just seeing the cup itself is worth it. Best trophy in all of sports, and it was Long Islands for four seasons. These guys defended it with grit and hard work and were old school. Too bad I can't be there.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Isles_Goal

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Goal
Quote:

exactly what would limos accomplish?

Old
02-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Goal
exactly what would limos accomplish?
I just meant that it might be more appropriate to have them be driven over instead of having to walk in the potentially freezing March weather. They should be treated as dignitaries, IMHO.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Islanders4Life*

I wonder if it is a coincidence the Islanders are playing the Flyers

Closed Thread