HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Brock Nelson Agrees to Entry Level Contract

Old
04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
If Lee does not want to sign, what can the Isles do. He either wants to go to school ne more year to get his degree or to get his freedom to choose where he plays as he will be a free agent after his junior year cause he played in the USHL for a year.

I hope he signs with us, but it is out of our hands like it was with Kessel and Gregoire.
Yup. You cant force a kid to sign. No matter why he didnt sign, don't think you can blame the isles here in any way. And Lee did say that after his days at ND are over he is looking forward to starting his career with the isles.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
okie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
other than Travis Hamonic and Andrew Macdonald, that looks pretty good. makes me feel a bit better, ya hopefully he does well there, at this point its all up to brock and how much work he puts in this summer
Funny thing is Hamonic is by far the best player on that list.
As long as the Isles don't rush him and let him progress at the AHL I couldn't disagree with you more. You can't tell me that the Isles signing and now taking over the development of one of thier first round draft picks is a bad thing. If they try to stick him on the big league roster next year that would be a mistake. But developing your own prospects in your system is the way to go. Maybe after next NCAA season Brock would be able to step right in. But the quality of play at the AHL is better then NCAA and also will get him used to playing against men. There's also something to having your prospects in your system so that when they do get the call to the big leagues the system they step into is the same system they've been playing all year.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
Travis Hamonic, Andrew Macdonald, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Matt Martin
Okposo wasn't developed properly. He's an average 2nd liner...drafted top 5 (or about that-don't recall off the top of my head). Macdonald has regressed this season, and quite frankly in a fringe defensemen on most teams. Martin's a 3rd liner. Either you're significantly overvaluing the players, or your standards (like many other Islander fans) has dropped very low.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Funny thing is Hamonic is by far the best player on that list.
As long as the Isles don't rush him and let him progress at the AHL I couldn't disagree with you more. You can't tell me that the Isles signing and now taking over the development of one of thier first round draft picks is a bad thing. If they try to stick him on the big league roster next year that would be a mistake. But developing your own prospects in your system is the way to go. Maybe after next NCAA season Brock would be able to step right in. But the quality of play at the AHL is better then NCAA and also will get him used to playing against men. There's also something to having your prospects in your system so that when they do get the call to the big leagues the system they step into is the same system they've been playing all year.
I can. We suck at developing players. We have for a loooong time. JT didn't go through our development, Moulson didn't, Streit didn't, PAP didn't.....I firmly believe there are huge gaps in the overall game in our developmental program. Namely the physical game (OH! Wang no like violence!) and the power foreward game (I never see anyone in orange drive up the middle unless they're on a breakaway).

So I'd prefer to leave important prospects to those who actually can teach the game of hockey well.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Hipster Doofus

Okposo had a shoulder injury coming off a 19 goal 52 point season.

MacDonald is the only real regression and this guy lost his top PP time with Hamonic to Streit and Rolston. I'm pretty sure even Jurcina has seen more action there, but not 100%.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:41 PM
leaponover

So how come Nelson didn't play Wednesday? Also, what happened to Nilsson, i noticed the backup goalie was some guy Clarke?

Also noticed that deHaan is the third d pairing :-(

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:06 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Okposo had a shoulder injury coming off a 19 goal 52 point season.

MacDonald is the only real regression and this guy lost his top PP time with Hamonic to Streit and Rolston. I'm pretty sure even Jurcina has seen more action there, but not 100%.
Is 19 goals and 52 points supposed to be that impressive? Don't get me wrong-Okposo's a decent 2nd liner-but no more. He lacks offensive production, doesn't use his size to his advantage, and he disappears for long stretches at a time. Put simply: he hasn't developed at all. And the only reason why he hasn't regressed is because quite frankly he had nothing to regress from.

I see so many excuses for almost all of our young players throughout HF. Some posters still insist that Nino is NHL ready. It sucks, but the reality is this team is NOT developing players properly. JT and Hamonic are the exceptions to the rule-not the norm. And JT would have developed well on any of the other 29 teams.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:23 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
He can sign a ATO contract or he can play a game on LI and burn a year or his contract.
how would playing a game on long island burn a year off his contract?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:54 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I can. We suck at developing players. We have for a loooong time. JT didn't go through our development, Moulson didn't, Streit didn't, PAP didn't.....I firmly believe there are huge gaps in the overall game in our developmental program. Namely the physical game (OH! Wang no like violence!) and the power foreward game (I never see anyone in orange drive up the middle unless they're on a breakaway).

So I'd prefer to leave important prospects to those who actually can teach the game of hockey well.
Pretty much my thoughts. Hamonic spent how many games on the Bridge?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:30 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Okposo wasn't developed properly. He's an average 2nd liner...drafted top 5 (or about that-don't recall off the top of my head). Macdonald has regressed this season, and quite frankly in a fringe defensemen on most teams. Martin's a 3rd liner. Either you're significantly overvaluing the players, or your standards (like many other Islander fans) has dropped very low.
Yeah McDonald regressed in his sophmore season i mean that never happened to any player in any sport ..Okposo was drafted 8th overall and started playing much better this season. Matt Martin who was drafted in the 5th round/148th pick has been a guy who has shown up to play every single game this season is a 3rd liner but you need guys that can do everything anyway and considering what you get in the 5th round i think it was a steal. Saying McDonald a "fringe Defensemen" is a absurd statement. JMO!

04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
Yeah McDonald regressed in his sophmore season i mean that never happened to any player in any sport ..Okposo was drafted 8th overall and started playing much better this season. Matt Martin who was drafted in the 5th round/148th pick has been a guy who has shown up to play every single game this season is a 3rd liner but you need guys that can do everything anyway and considering what you get in the 5th round i think it was a steal. Saying McDonald a "fringe Defensemen" is a absurd statement. JMO!
How many teams would McaDonald playing 2nd pairing mins on? I haven't taken the time to look at each team around the league-but it's probably not that many. I disagree that Okposo has been playing better this season. He's been better the last stretch of games-but in the long-run that doesn't really mean anything. I agree you need a good 3rd line. I like Martin-he's a nice player to have on your team. But he's also overrated because of the type of player he is (every team's fans overrates players like him). Martin will barely move the needle over the course of a season.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:18 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Okposo was drafted 7th. Right after Derrek Brassard and before Peter Meuller, James Shepard and Michael Frolik. All players that he is better than.

Other recent #7 picks (2009-2000): Nazem Kadri, Colin Wilson, Jakub Voracek, Jack Skille, Rotislav Olesz, Ryan Suter, Joffrey Lupul, Mike Komisarek, Lars Jonsson

Other than Suter and Lupul, none are top liners. Wilson is probably the only other one I would consider trading Okposo for.

In other words, if you are expecting an all star with the #7 pick, you are expecting too much. Okposo is developing better than the players drafted around him and better than most #7 picks.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Okposo was drafted 7th. Right after Derrek Brassard and before Peter Meuller, James Shepard and Michael Frolik. All players that he is better than.

Other recent #7 picks (2009-2000): Nazem Kadri, Colin Wilson, Jakub Voracek, Jack Skille, Rotislav Olesz, Ryan Suter, Joffrey Lupul, Mike Komisarek, Lars Jonsson

Other than Suter and Lupul, none are top liners. Wilson is probably the only other one I would consider trading Okposo for.

In other words, if you are expecting an all star with the #7 pick, you are expecting too much. Okposo is developing better than the players drafted around him and better than most #7 picks.
Well played Kasper, well played.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
So how come Nelson didn't play Wednesday? Also, what happened to Nilsson, i noticed the backup goalie was some guy Clarke?

Also noticed that deHaan is the third d pairing :-(
1. He wasn't even in the building, he's probably in the process of packing his stuff up at ND, he may not see the lineup until the final weekend anyways.
2. Nilsson is listed as day-to-day with a lower body injury, believed to be an ankle. Dan Clarke is on an ATO from Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT which is about a half hr from Bridgeport.
3. de Haan is not on the 3rd pairing, the 3rd pairing for yesterday's game was considered Katic-Oleksy

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
How many teams would McaDonald playing 2nd pairing mins on? I haven't taken the time to look at each team around the league-but it's probably not that many. I disagree that Okposo has been playing better this season. He's been better the last stretch of games-but in the long-run that doesn't really mean anything. I agree you need a good 3rd line. I like Martin-he's a nice player to have on your team. But he's also overrated because of the type of player he is (every team's fans overrates players like him). Martin will barely move the needle over the course of a season.
I see MacDonald playing on this team's 3rd pairing in the future, but I think he would be one of the better 3rd pairing guys in the league.

Okposo has been fine. He had a rough stretch this year but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since his season was cut short last year. BTW, a solid 2nd-liner is all we need him to be anyway. I see Strome playing on JT's wing, giving us a full 1st line.

You severely underrate Martin. Even if he doesn't develop any further he'll be a solid 3rd liner who we got in the 5th round. However if he does continue to develop there really is no telling how high his ceiling will go. He could end up being anything from a Bertuzzi to a Lucic. There really aren't many players like him. He's the type of guy who can be a playoff warrior for this team once we get to that level. He should be one of the last guys the fans are down on.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
NYI78

Quote:
they take regular shifts in the nhl...they started in bport and were called up..thats why i listed them...they are not superstars but they were not misdeveloped in the ahl.. he wanted a list of players who were in the ahl and got called up...okposo was not misdeveloped...he may only be a third line 20 goal scorer..but he wasn't misdeveloped..

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Is 19 goals and 52 points supposed to be that impressive? Don't get me wrong-Okposo's a decent 2nd liner-but no more. He lacks offensive production, doesn't use his size to his advantage, and he disappears for long stretches at a time. Put simply: he hasn't developed at all. And the only reason why he hasn't regressed is because quite frankly he had nothing to regress from.

I see so many excuses for almost all of our young players throughout HF. Some posters still insist that Nino is NHL ready. It sucks, but the reality is this team is NOT developing players properly. JT and Hamonic are the exceptions to the rule-not the norm. And JT would have developed well on any of the other 29 teams.
19 goals 52 points at 21 in in your second full year is generally considered impressive unless you live under a rock or something.

The reality is that this team hasn't signed any mobile d-men, plays a collapse style defense that hinders breakouts, and all its young players are forwards now being trapped in their own zone by their own defense.

The reality is that there is nothing wrong with Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares, Hamonic, Martin, and MacDonald is probably having a better year (ditto for the much beloved but still raw Hamonic) if he didn't get his PP time bumped.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Hipster Doofus

The best part of Okposo scoring 20 is that people now cant post endlessly "HE NEVER SCORED 20!" as though that is a good argument. Now they have to squirm a bit.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:35 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
they take regular shifts in the nhl...they started in bport and were called up..thats why i listed them...they are not superstars but they were not misdeveloped in the ahl.. he wanted a list of players who were in the ahl and got called up...okposo was not misdeveloped...he may only be a third line 20 goal scorer..but he wasn't misdeveloped..
Exactly, Okposo was not mis-developed. He was much more ready for the NHL then Josh Bailey and Nino ever were. Wang's thinking: "Garth, Okposo looked NHL ready, let's from now on let our first pick from every other draft make the team right away"

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The best part of Okposo scoring 20 is that people now cant post endlessly "HE NEVER SCORED 20!" as though that is a good argument. Now they have to squirm a bit.
How sick are we that this is the first thing I thought of when he potted 20.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
TheBoss22

Recently the 2 best players that were developed by the Islanders are:

1) Frans Nielsen
2) Andrew MacDonald.

The worst player developed by the NYI fanbase.

1) Jeff Tambellini

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

I don't think staying in college would have hurt Brock. I don't think leaving UND will hurt Brock either. The only reason I questioned this signing is because you look at his biggest lack (imo), and it's size. With a limited schedule, college gives you the time you need to focus more on gaining strength/size. In my mind, the skill is NHL ready, the body isn't.

FytinSioux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
Recently the 2 best players that were developed by the Islanders are:

1) Frans Nielsen
2) Andrew MacDonald.

The worst player developed by the NYI fanbase.

1) Jeff Tambellini
Jeff Tambellini was drafted by the Kings in 2003 and traded to the Islanders in 2005... It was pretty clear he was an excellent AHL player but not really a very good NHL player...

And what do you mean developed by the NYI fanbase? Im a lil confused

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
I don't think staying in college would have hurt Brock. I don't think leaving UND will hurt Brock either. The only reason I questioned this signing is because you look at his biggest lack (imo), and it's size. With a limited schedule, college gives you the time you need to focus more on gaining strength/size. In my mind, the skill is NHL ready, the body isn't.
I think that getting with the Islanders AHL team, getting him playoff experience in Bridgeport and then getting him with the Islanders players/trainers for a summer will be the best thing for him gaining size and experience

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Jeff Tambellini was drafted by the Kings in 2003 and traded to the Islanders in 2005... It was pretty clear he was an excellent AHL player but not really a very good NHL player...

And what do you mean developed by the NYI fanbase? Im a lil confused
If you go back to the message board archives. Nolan was ripped for burying Tambo on the 4th line, while his pet Andy Hillbert got all the minutes.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote